My case for why Don Nelson must go.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Role Player
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:57 pm
OK, you fail to address the point that that group only played together for a couple of minutes, while Duncan was on the bench, and to positive results... I'm not saying it made sense, but it did work (this time). That is a fact. I don't see why you'd complain about something that only happens once if it helps the team take the lead tonight.

If Nellie pulls that stunt several more times for prolonged time periods (and particularly if it yields negative results) in the next week, then I'll see a valid complaint.

All Star
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:00 pm
whether it worked or not, I never want to see that lineup on the court again

the end

All Star
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:01 pm
Best post i have ever read coltraining. I'm glad you are getting your props. I said the same thing about Coach Nelson and i got crucified on this post. I guess i just didn't say it as eloquently as you. I got dogged so much I stop posting. I guess you can speak for me from now on. I will disappear again. Once again. Nice post bro.

Rookie
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:30 pm
I think the fact that he let's overpayed vets play the entire game, when we're on a LOOSING (aka rebuilding, aka develop rookies). The San Antonia game was the most ridiculous example of terrible Nellie stubbornness. I mean, JC played horrible all game, he hardly sat, WHY NOT AT LEAST TRY OUT A ROOKIE? We lost that game because of bad coaching (well, I suppose you could claim it was JC's fault). Period.

Role Player
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:32 pm
I see your point but I'd just like to see more posts about Rowell needing to go instead of Nelson so much. If Nelson is so bad, how did he end the playoff drought and win 48 games last year? Answer: the roster. This is a players league. The turnover of this previously successful roster in just one year has been ridiculous. You can fault him for not playing the youth enough, but the problem is the Warriors don't know who they are right now. Are we rebuilding and playing the youngins? Are we still trying to win right now? No one knows their role anymore. How many more wins does this team have if the roster is Baron, Ellis, Jackson, Harrington, and Biedrins? Some of his substitutions are just baffling tho and makes one wonder if there is some type of politics going on behind the scenes. Like, why did we even trade for Marcus Williams?

Maybe Nellie should go, (we should make sure his replacement is competent, like Avery Johnson or Flip Saunders) but Rowell needs to go first.

Rookie
» Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:48 pm
Yeah, but Nellie's a big part of why that roster's so crap, and every indication is that he pretty much runs the entire basketball operation now. Don't get me wrong -- Rowell should definitely be tarred and feathered and hustled out of town on the bulging shoulders of Corey Maggette. In fact, I'll bet you won't find a single We-Blame-Nelson-ite (like me) who wouldn't also want Rowell shipped off to work as a male prostitute in some sweaty, third-world hellhole (or at least fired.)

But we also blame Nelson. Because he's become an old dog whose one trick is really, really depressing us.

All Star
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:05 am
The Coooach wrote:Best post i have ever read coltraining. I'm glad you are getting your props. I said the same thing about Coach Nelson and i got crucified on this post. I guess i just didn't say it as eloquently as you. I got dogged so much I stop posting. I guess you can speak for me from now on. I will disappear again. Once again. Nice post bro.

There were a lot of Nelson supporters over the years. I remember bringing up the situation with Weber, saying Nelson was the one who instigated that. There were a lot of people who rallyed to his defense. David Wood, the original one from Texas, was always attacking me and the other "rebels".

Now, outside of those who have to defend him, like KNBR hosts, he has little support. I notice that the independent press people like Marcus Thompson sound like forum posters, using the same exact language at times.

Now, AR is getting into a Weber-like situation and that could bring Nelson down. Like Coltraning said, it is his pattern.

All Star
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:11 am
D4rk 0ne wrote:Great post colt.

I know I've been defending Nellie a lot lately, but that doesn't mean I don't want him out of here. We *need* a new coach, someone who can utilize our players' talents, develop our young guys, and teach the team how to WIN TOGETHER.

I'd love someone relatively young (Johnson is fine :mrgreen:) who, if he does well, could be kept around for a while.

Although, Nellie is just a part of the problem. Rowell is, IMO, the biggest issue...

could be, though if we are really going there, it all starts and ends with Cohan, no?

thanks for all the props, fellas, btw :)

Franchise Player
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:07 am
How many more times can we make the EXACT same points about Nelson.............is this how it is going to be until his deal expires? because you can be damned sure he is going to see it out.

Best case scenario is he bolts and f*cks us for the money, then we are left with this deeply and fundamentally flawed team, who hasnt been developed in any way, has no concept of defense and who has no idea how to work in any kind of structured game plan.

Every game that passes, the damage gets worse, every "win" we get the damage gets worse as it breeds some kind of apathy for Nelson.

The New Orleans win was a perfect example of how I feel about us right now...........here was reactions =

1 - "Wow...........how the hell did we do that?"

2 - "Damn, the Hornets must have been seriously off tonight"

3 - "If it was our defense (which from watching the game, it did resemble actual defense)............then what about the 45 or so games weve played that didnt contain ANY defense............and what about the next 40 games where we wont see it again?"

This is why I cant really comment on our team anymore, because nothing that happens brings me any joy or hope when it comes from Nelson's coaching or "team"

All Star
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:10 am
bigstrads wrote:How many more times can we make the EXACT same points about Nelson.............is this how it is going to be until his deal expires? because you can be damned sure he is going to see it out.

Best case scenario is he bolts and f*cks us for the money, then we are left with this deeply and fundamentally flawed team, who hasnt been developed in any way, has no concept of defense and who has no idea how to work in any kind of structured game plan.

Every game that passes, the damage gets worse, every "win" we get the damage gets worse as it breeds some kind of apathy for Nelson.

The New Orleans win was a perfect example of how I feel about us right now...........here was reactions =

1 - "Wow...........how the hell did we do that?"

2 - "Damn, the Hornets must have been seriously off tonight"

3 - "If it was our defense (which from watching the game, it did resemble actual defense)............then what about the 45 or so games weve played that didnt contain ANY defense............and what about the next 40 games where we wont see it again?"

This is why I cant really comment on our team anymore, because nothing that happens brings me any joy or hope when it comes from Nelson's coaching or "team"

C'mon, man, cheer up. We are seeing first hand a genius at work. Being paid millions of dollars to disrupt an organization, being given a powerful public forum to work evil plots and to piss off management, players and fans. Nelson does his Nellie chortle every night before he goes to bed.

And, he got an extension which means he gets paid millions more and that ensures he will be able to cause even more consternation and harm.

You have to admire a guy who can pull this off. Name any other coach, even those in the Hall of Fame, who have been able to do this. Or, even try! Nellie lives his dream like none other.

No, we are seeing true genius in action and we should be happy to have been able to play a small role in it.

Starting Lineup
» Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:43 am
:D BEAUTIFUL!!!

All Star
» Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:22 pm
Don Nelson is a genius! :wink: :wink: :wink: :roll:

What a great win against the Suns!
If we can rebound and play tough D, we may just pull one out in Phoenix.

» Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:43 am
I wouldn't get my hopes up. Out of our first 17 points, 15 of them were 3-pointers... and nobody missed, either. Can't expect that kind of lightening to strike twice.

Nevertheless, it certainly seemed like the wind got taken outta Phoenix's sails all game. They'd inch closer, back to within 15 or 9 or 11... and the Warriors just knocked them in the dirt. I wonder what it'll be like in Arizona, where the refs are sure to call the game closer for the home squad. If SJax gets too full of himself off this triple-double and starts daring the refs to blow the whistle, we'll be in trouble for sure.

All Star
» Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:30 am
True 32. I can easily see Jack getting himself kicked out of this game...
They've proven they can compete with the best in the league, now I'd like to see us prove that we can do that with more than just 7 players.

All Star
» Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:48 am
Jackattack wrote:True 32. I can easily see Jack getting himself kicked out of this game...
They've proven they can compete with the best in the league, now I'd like to see us prove that we can do that with more than just 7 players.

yeah, that 7 player **** is too much. I guess Randolph will not see the floor the rest of the season since we are in such a tight playoff race :wink: It is interesting though that, other than jackson and craw, who did 45 minutes each, no one else did more than 31, so somehow Nelson managed those minutes decently. I am really liking the team more with Rony in there than Biedrins nowadays. Rony has a sweet 15 foot jumper, is a block party inside, and has the muscle we sorely need. It is true that Biedrins gets more boards...btw, just to show how meaningless plus-minus can be, Shaq was minus 10 and Robin Lopez was plus 6 for the Suns...