Jackson is a net positive for the team. Agree or disagree?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Is Jackson a net positive for the team?

6%
Hell yes. We'd be'd nowhere without our swaggering and fiery captain jack!
2
19%
Hell no. He is an ego-driven, tech-drawing, ballhogging turnover machine
6
6%
Can't we just start another thread bashing Crawful and Maggot? Please???
2
59%
He's a great 2nd or 3rd option, but the problem is, we have no #1 option
19
9%
I loved his early work, but haven't liked anything since Thriller!
3

Total votes: 32


Rookie
Posts: 143
» Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:01 pm
Yeah, it IS true. Jackson DID say that. And this statement exemplifies pretty much everything that is wrong with Jackson in the first place. He constantly wants to prove himself, or at least that's how it seems. After winning the championship and not getting enough credit (his words) he wants to prove to everyone that he is #1, which explains trying to slo-mo drive through entire teams of defense (something only LeBron, Wade, Kobe can do - and its usually not in slow motion).

It's beginning to feel like even when Jackson has a great assist, it's only because he wants the credit.

When Jackson was ON FIRE during the first quarter of the Dallas game, I already had a really really bad feeling about the game. I knew it would go to his head, and it did. He was hitting his 1on1 shots, and that just can't last forever. PLUS it inspired other team mates to try the same tactic even more than usual (KAz, Crawfish, Morrow even it looked like).

Rookie
Posts: 88
» Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:26 am
Just bumping up this topic a bit. I ran across an interview with Nelson about Jackson in December -- many of you probably saw it. One part really struck me:


-Q: Another tough shooting night for Stephen Jackson. Is it just a matter of recognizing that his hand is really bothering him?

-NELSON: I would think that’s obvious, yeah.

-Q: What can you do?

-NELSON: Well, it’s up to him. If he wants to take some time off. But he thinks he can play on, so…



Which seems to imply that Nelson would only take Jackson out if Jackson thought it was a good idea. Which, coupled with Nelson's constant bitch-slapping of rookies and his chronic indulgence of bad play by veterans, explains at least some of the Warriors' current problems.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3242
» Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:59 am
man i laughed at his quotes about Aaron Brookes game

On Aaron Brooks:
“He’s very fast and he changes the pace of the game when he comes in. Guys tend to get career highs against us and I don’t know why"


Really Stephen? You really don't get it?

All Star
Posts: 3173
» Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:44 pm
Is Jax a team player ? that's a hell no, would he mind cutting down his minutes which might help him be more fresh-nope. Would Jax ever want to come of the bench at some in time if that will help the team say like Maggs-nope. Plus Nelly continues to add more to his ego-allowing him to play even though he injured his wrist earlier in the season, which really hurt the team. Am sure Jax thinks this is his team instead of Monta's. Jax is a player that needs to be checked before he gets out of control, Nellie is doing nothing close to that checking him, infact quite the opposite, he almost gives the reigns to Jax to do whatever he feels.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 2862
» Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:58 am
interesting statistics about jackson.

apparently from the numbers, jax has been scoring about the same, but the attempt #s have slowly been decreasing.

3pt M - A per game
Nov - 1.4-5.3
Dec - 1.3-4.6
Jan - 1.9-4.3

FG M - A per game
Nov - 7.1-17.4
Dec - 5.2-14.5
Jan - 6.5-15.4

high Turnovers, crappy rebounding, and high assists #s all stayed the same over this season.

All Star
Posts: 2320
» Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:03 am
i liked when and how sjax smiled when he got his triple double. it was honestly human and pretty humble smile. a little touch of good above him.
kudos to him for having this beautiful experience.
User avatar

Rookie
Posts: 144
» Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:35 am
martin wrote:i liked when and how sjax smiled when he got his triple double. it was honestly human and pretty humble smile. a little touch of good above him.
kudos to him for having this beautiful experience.


Yup, and I loved how Biedrins reacted too. He was jumping and shouting when Jackson got his triple-double.

All Star
Posts: 2320
» Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:18 am
boleyn wrote:
martin wrote:i liked when and how sjax smiled when he got his triple double. it was honestly human and pretty humble smile. a little touch of good above him.
kudos to him for having this beautiful experience.


Yup, and I loved how Biedrins reacted too. He was jumping and shouting when Jackson got his triple-double.

exactly
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3040
» Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:52 am
I think if Stephen Jackson played like that or even close to it on a regular basis, we would all be throwing parades for him down Broadway (those of us who lived near Oakland). He is the Doctor Jekkyl and Mr. Hyde of the team. He had a wonderful game last night, as did Crawford and Azu and Rony...it was a great win and hope he keeps it up.

btw, props to the 3 who have voted for the Thriller option...can't beat it :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 2325
» Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:55 am
boleyn wrote:
martin wrote:i liked when and how sjax smiled when he got his triple double. it was honestly human and pretty humble smile. a little touch of good above him.
kudos to him for having this beautiful experience.


Yup, and I loved how Biedrins reacted too. He was jumping and shouting when Jackson got his triple-double.


And Ronny, who ran over and tried to give him a hug instead of playing defense :)

That team last night was reminiscent of the team two years ago where you could just tell they were having fun and they genuinely enjoyed playing together.

Anyway that was kind of off topic.

Starting Lineup
Posts: 693
» Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:17 am
Shazam said
"Just bumping up this topic a bit. I ran across an interview with Nelson about Jackson in December -- many of you probably saw it. One part really struck me:
-Q: Another tough shooting night for Stephen Jackson. Is it just a matter of recognizing that his hand is really bothering him?
-NELSON: I would think that’s obvious, yeah.
-Q: What can you do?
-NELSON: Well, it’s up to him. If he wants to take some time off. But he thinks he can play on, so…
Which seems to imply that Nelson would only take Jackson out if Jackson thought it was a good idea. Which, coupled with Nelson's constant bitch-slapping of rookies and his chronic indulgence of bad play by veterans, explains at least some of the Warriors' current problems."


Yes I'm afraid that's true, Shazam.
This is Nellie's not-too-subliminal message to, say Maggs and Crawford:
Ok, you guys got the big contracts. But johnny-come-lately's like you will NEVER have the exclusive relationship I have with Captain, That's right I said, CAPTAIN Jack. Don't you ever expect any type of promotion. Your perk is that you can revel in the fact that you actually make more money than I DO!

NELLIE"S NOT-TOO-SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE to, Azu, CJ and Morrow .Yes you are a LONG way off from the "exclusive" relationship I have with Captain Jack. If I didn't take a chance on you, you would be mere lapdogs, running the dismal "D" league circuit. You owe your life to me! And I expect undying loyalty throughout your NBA carreers. When I say "run" you run. When I say "Sit" you sit. When I say "heal" you heal. Understand, you are the "help", we save money by employing you, and I suppose we can't send you back anymore. But don't get any big ideas! You are left to aspire to the joys and privileges of the exclusive relationship I have with your Captain Jack.

NELLI'ES NOT TOO SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE to lottery picks, Bellinelli, Wright. Don't think I don't know that you have aspirations to outearn me! This despite the fact, that all you know, and all you are, on that court are the direct result of my tutelage.
Wright, we may need you to win, but rest assured, the need to win is not THAT great, there's no hope anymore to make the playoffs, so we are kind of back to SQUARE ONE, aren't we? Too bad you got injured when we still had a slim chance.
But now your minutes are largely over. You now can wait until next year and gain whatever insight you can into the "exclusive" relationship I have with your Captain Jack.

NELLIE"S NOT-TOO-SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE to M. Williams and A. Randolph. You disgusting heathen! You are little babies who expect promotion, but have no intention of working for it. Williams, we may need a real point guard to win, but rest assured, the need to win is not THAT great, there's no hope anymore to make the playoffs, so we are kind of back to SQUARE ONE, aren't we? And oops, you're leaving after the season, so good luck after being rejected by 2 clubs already. BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA.
And now you Randolph, it was only through my mercy that you played at all in front of your family in Houston. You were too proud to beg me. Yet I played you anyway. And did I even get a Thank You!
From here on, it will NOT get better. Rest assured, I do delight in watching your mouth drool as you sit on the bench, with that crybaby look on your face. It is better for you in the long run. On any given night, If I do grant you the privilege to play. Rest assured, if you do attain a certain level of comfort, I will pull you. It will at times seem unmerciful, but it is for your own good.
And now you want to make some trouble? Good luck, you may THINK you'll be better off somewhere else, but it will be harder for you because after all, nobody wants a troublemaker!

And haven't you noticed? , I've got a contract extension.I RUN THIS TOWN!
BWA-HA-HA-HA-Ha-HA-HA-HA-HA---BWA-HA-HA-HA-Ha-HA-HA-HA-HA---
BWA-HA-HA-HA-Ha-HA-HA-HA-HA---BWA-HA-HA-HA-Ha-HA-HA-HA-HA---
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 2325
» Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:23 am
War Years wrote:Shazam said
"Just bumping up this topic a bit. I ran across an interview with Nelson about Jackson in December -- many of you probably saw it. One part really struck me:
-Q: Another tough shooting night for Stephen Jackson. Is it just a matter of recognizing that his hand is really bothering him?
-NELSON: I would think that’s obvious, yeah.
-Q: What can you do?
-NELSON: Well, it’s up to him. If he wants to take some time off. But he thinks he can play on, so…
Which seems to imply that Nelson would only take Jackson out if Jackson thought it was a good idea. Which, coupled with Nelson's constant bitch-slapping of rookies and his chronic indulgence of bad play by veterans, explains at least some of the Warriors' current problems."


Yes I'm afraid that's true, Shazam.
This is Nellie's not-too-subliminal message to, say Maggs and Crawford:
Ok, you guys got the big contracts. But johnny-come-lately's like you will NEVER have the exclusive relationship I have with Captain, That's right I said, CAPTAIN Jack. Don't you ever expect any type of promotion. Your perk is that you can revel in the fact that you actually make more money than I DO!

NELLIE"S NOT-TOO-SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE to, Azu, CJ and Morrow .Yes you are a LONG way off from the "exclusive" relationship I have with Captain Jack. If I didn't take a chance on you, you would be mere lapdogs, running the dismal "D" league circuit. You owe your life to me! And I expect undying loyalty throughout your NBA carreers. When I say "run" you run. When I say "Sit" you sit. When I say "heal" you heal. Understand, you are the "help", we save money by employing you, and I suppose we can't send you back anymore. But don't get any big ideas! You are left to aspire to the joys and privileges of the exclusive relationship I have with your Captain Jack.

NELLI'ES NOT TOO SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE to lottery picks, Bellinelli, Wright. Don't think I don't know that you have aspirations to outearn me! This despite the fact, that all you know, and all you are, on that court are the direct result of my tutelage.
Wright, we may need you to win, but rest assured, the need to win is not THAT great, there's no hope anymore to make the playoffs, so we are kind of back to SQUARE ONE, aren't we? Too bad you got injured when we still had a slim chance.
But now your minutes are largely over. You now can wait until next year and gain whatever insight you can into the "exclusive" relationship I have with your Captain Jack.

NELLIE"S NOT-TOO-SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE to M. Williams and A. Randolph. You disgusting heathen! You are little babies who expect promotion, but have no intention of working for it. Williams, we may need a real point guard to win, but rest assured, the need to win is not THAT great, there's no hope anymore to make the playoffs, so we are kind of back to SQUARE ONE, aren't we? And oops, you're leaving after the season, so good luck after being rejected by 2 clubs already. BWA-HA-HA-HA-HA.
And now you Randolph, it was only through my mercy that you played at all in front of your family in Houston. You were too proud to beg me. Yet I played you anyway. And did I even get a Thank You!
From here on, it will NOT get better. Rest assured, I do delight in watching your mouth drool as you sit on the bench, with that crybaby look on your face. It is better for you in the long run. On any given night, If I do grant you the privilege to play. Rest assured, if you do attain a certain level of comfort, I will pull you. It will at times seem unmerciful, but it is for your own good.
And now you want to make some trouble? Good luck, you may THINK you'll be better off somewhere else, but it will be harder for you because after all, nobody wants a troublemaker.

And haven't you noticed? , I've got a contract extension.I RUN THIS TOWN!
BWA-HA-HA-HA-Ha-HA-HA-HA-HA---BWA-HA-HA-HA-Ha-HA-HA-HA-HA---
BWA-HA-HA-HA-Ha-HA-HA-HA-HA---BWA-HA-HA-HA-Ha-HA-HA-HA-HA---


I disagree with this one 'cause Nellie LOVES these kinds of players and has a history of putting them in the starting line-up and having close relationships with them (example: Matt Barnes). The rest, I'm not even going to comment on because I disagree and will just get treated like a little kid again if I say things

Starting Lineup
Posts: 693
» Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:43 pm
Captain Jack said
"I disagree with this one 'cause Nellie LOVES these kinds of players and has a history of putting them in the starting line-up and having close relationships with them (example: Matt Barnes). The rest, I'm not even going to comment on because I disagree and will just get treated like a little kid again if I say things"
_________________

No the problem is there is NO kid in you! It’s a JOKE! Does everything have to be controversial? This is NOT meant to be fodder for controversy. It’s like that thing with Bigg’s on the other post. Maybe I should start using emoticons. Lighten up!

You know there have been times when people have expressed an opinion on this board that I didn’t agree with. But they did it in such a clever or eloquent way, that I had to think a little more about it. In some cases later I came to adopt their viewpoint. It’s too bad that couldn’t happen to you. Ok, maybe it has.

Last year there were some posters who wanted to fire Nelly, I didn’t agree because I thought too much of it was just because Nelly didn’t choose to play Brandan Wright.
But now, I can see, they were right.

Capt. Jack said:
"I disagree with this one 'cause Nellie LOVES these kinds of players and has a history of putting them in the starting line-up and having close relationships with them (example: Matt Barnes)."

Now again, how you could possibly know that? Did you assume that the Giant players were all happy with Barry Bonds in his last couple of years, even though he made himself divinely inaccessible to them and didn’t give a crap about them?

You don’t think the license Jack has been given creates any resentment at all to any other players on the team?

Where I think you are right might be in regards to the “D “ league players Azu, CJ, Morrow or the non-lottery Matt Barnes. Where would any of them be if it wasn’t for Don Nelson and the W’ organization? I’m sure they are grateful. The point is: these relationships have MANY aspects to them.
I wasn‘t trying to stir another Randolph controversy in a Capt Jack post.

The last post you wrote on the Randolph post, made me understand you a lot better. I can appreciate you didn’t want to enter a girl’s name and be treated any differently. I admire that, particularly because you have to know that most of us contentious males are just thrilled to death that we have a women on the board.
I’m sorry for our misunderstandings, but you haven’t been particularly pleasant to me. And I haven’t seen any sense of humor, though I’m sure others have. I ask your indulgence, because the season hasn’t been too pleasant and I thought maybe I could attempt to lighten things up a little on this board.

P.S. I’m really sick to death of another Maggs, Crawford, Jackson, post. I think everyone has pretty much said their piece about this. My attitude is that I would trade just about anybody on this team if I thought I thought it was a decent deal that addressed our weaknesses. And I look forward to trading at least a couple of our vets. But I probably lean most to keeping Jackson with all of his excesses, because I do think some of them can be cured with the addition of a true #1 player. And of our vets, I think he is the most complete player. I appreciate that post by First Off which reinforces what I already know, that little by little Jackson has gotten more efficient.
User avatar

Role Player
Posts: 415
» Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:39 pm
To be honest you should start using emoticons to identify when you're kidding; otherwise, unless you gain a reputation for being an unnaturally witty wordsmith, people will assume you're just being bitter/serious. Using quote tags wouldn't hurt either. :wink: :wink:


Also, I agree with you about all the posts about Maggs/Jackson/Crawford getting old. The problem is that this is a forum; people need things to discuss. At the moment there is not much else to talk about, and since people have differing viewpoints about those players, the discussions continue.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 2325
» Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:08 pm
War Years wrote:Captain Jack said
"I disagree with this one 'cause Nellie LOVES these kinds of players and has a history of putting them in the starting line-up and having close relationships with them (example: Matt Barnes). The rest, I'm not even going to comment on because I disagree and will just get treated like a little kid again if I say things"
_________________

No the problem is there is NO kid in you! It’s a JOKE! Does everything have to be controversial? This is NOT meant to be fodder for controversy. It’s like that thing with Bigg’s on the other post. Maybe I should start using emoticons. Lighten up!

You know there have been times when people have expressed an opinion on this board that I didn’t agree with. But they did it in such a clever or eloquent way, that I had to think a little more about it. In some cases later I came to adopt their viewpoint. It’s too bad that couldn’t happen to you. Ok, maybe it has.

Last year there were some posters who wanted to fire Nelly, I didn’t agree because I thought too much of it was just because Nelly didn’t choose to play Brandan Wright.
But now, I can see, they were right.

Capt. Jack said:
"I disagree with this one 'cause Nellie LOVES these kinds of players and has a history of putting them in the starting line-up and having close relationships with them (example: Matt Barnes)."

Now again, how you could possibly know that? Did you assume that the Giant players were all happy with Barry Bonds in his last couple of years, even though he made himself divinely inaccessible to them and didn’t give a crap about them?

You don’t think the license Jack has been given creates any resentment at all to any other players on the team?

Where I think you are right might be in regards to the “D “ league players Azu, CJ, Morrow or the non-lottery Matt Barnes. Where would any of them be if it wasn’t for Don Nelson and the W’ organization? I’m sure they are grateful. The point is: these relationships have MANY aspects to them.
I wasn‘t trying to stir another Randolph controversy in a Capt Jack post.

The last post you wrote on the Randolph post, made me understand you a lot better. I can appreciate you didn’t want to enter a girl’s name and be treated any differently. I admire that, particularly because you have to know that most of us contentious males are just thrilled to death that we have a women on the board.
I’m sorry for our misunderstandings, but you haven’t been particularly pleasant to me. And I haven’t seen any sense of humor, though I’m sure others have. I ask your indulgence, because the season hasn’t been too pleasant and I thought maybe I could attempt to lighten things up a little on this board.

P.S. I’m really sick to death of another Maggs, Crawford, Jackson, post. I think everyone has pretty much said their piece about this. My attitude is that I would trade just about anybody on this team if I thought I thought it was a decent deal that addressed our weaknesses. And I look forward to trading at least a couple of our vets. But I probably lean most to keeping Jackson with all of his excesses, because I do think some of them can be cured with the addition of a true #1 player. And of our vets, I think he is the most complete player. I appreciate that post by First Off which reinforces what I already know, that little by little Jackson has gotten more efficient.


I think you have misunderstood most of my posts if you think I don't joke. Yes I got irritated in the Randolph thread, not so much because of you, but because Coach was acting like a total douche...and I know this is not just my opinion. However 99% of my posts on this forum are sarcasm and I rarely say serious things.

I know that I have a different opinion about things than most people. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. I actually enjoy debating with people. However I only enjoy debating if people are going to put together a well thought out argument and really think through what they're saying and what they're debating about. People that come on and say "Jack sucks 'cause he turns the ball over too much" without looking at who Jack is as a player, why he's turning the ball over too much, or if he is really the issue have no credibilty. Then they get angry and make it a personal thing because they are upset when someone points out the flaws in their argument. Those are the people I don't like to argue with and the kind of people who I tend to get "snippy" with. Maybe I would have more patience if I didn't spend time on the 49ers.com board where those posts show up 5 or 6 times a minute, and maybe I should try and have more patience, but sometimes I just can't stand to listen to it anymore.

As to the quoted part of the post. I'm a little lost on what you're saying. I know Matt Barnes and Nelson have a very close relationship because Matt just spoke about it in his blog, saying that he thinks of him like a father and they exchange text messages all the time. It's posted in the Phoenix Suns thread from last night's game if you want to read it. The reason I know that Nellie likes those kinds of players is that wherever he has gone he has made a living on resurrecting careers and pulling players out of nowhere. I didn't say specifically that he has a great relationship with CJ, Azu, or any of the current D-League or scrub players, I said that those type of players are the kind that he loves and the type of players that love to play for him. I really don't get the Barry Bonds reference, unless you're talking about Jack's relationship with the other players. And no I don't know for 100% that Jack gets along with the other players, however I would find it extremely strange if he suddenly didn't. He is fiercely loyal and I've never heard ANY of his former teammates or former employers say anything negative about him, this includes front office personnel with the Pacers where he was HATED by the fans. They often claim they didn't want to trade him, but felt they had no choice because of the public perception. Not to mention that these guys spend time together outside of practice, Jack has teammates over for parties etc. I doubt they'd want to hang out with him if they were pissed. I also don't understand the "Randolph controversy" comment, but whatever.

I think that's all. You seem to have completely misinterpreted pretty much everything I've ever said on this forum. Sorry for that.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests