Thank GOD Corey Maggette is back.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32


Rookie
Posts: 143
» Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:34 pm
saintdee wrote:maggs is also rebounding more it seems. He's fighting for rebounds.
the guy's actually got some mad hops when he tries, or has a good hamstring, or whatever it is that has changed in him as of late.
User avatar

Role Player
Posts: 311
» Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:32 pm
Maggs VS. LAC

22 minutes. 20 points. 7-8 FG's. 6-8 FT's. +12. 6 Rebounds. 1 Assist. 1 Steal. Lord.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 6107
» Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:05 pm
Maggs has been phenominal since being healthy and coming off the bench!
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 9163
» Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:08 am
Maggs is SO MUCH better off the bench. There's a huge difference between starting and playing off the bench, for those who don't know. I think he'd win 6th man of the year if this team was winning.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22190
» Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:14 am
Maggette has been playing well off the bench and he has to because he is paid 10 million a year don't forget
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 9163
» Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:51 am
migya wrote:Maggette has been playing well off the bench and he has to because he is paid 10 million a year don't forget


I know you don't like him, but c'mon. So what if he's being paid what he's being paid? He's producing right? He's helping this team far more than hurting it like before. Taking the 6th man role, 24-30 minutes a night rather than having the starting, 32-42 minutes a night has made him a better player overall.
User avatar

Rookie
Posts: 2
» Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:29 am
Maggs is playing great.. i'm really likin' it...

All Star
Posts: 1218
» Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:09 am
Attes introduced the idea of using the whole team and won a championship.

Maggette can be the cornerstone of a great second unit, one that is almost equal to the starters and is really used as a weapon and not just to give the starters a break for a minute or two.

Only Barry played more than 30 minutes a game. Even Wilkes and Smith, two excellent all-star caliber players, weren't left in to get tired.

It's just my mantra, my hope for Change. Of course a league MPV kind of guy always helps. A 6th man Player of the Year type is almost as good.
User avatar

Role Player
Posts: 311
» Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:57 pm
migya wrote:Maggette has been playing well off the bench and he has to because he is paid 10 million a year don't forget


There are a LOT of NBA players being paid 10+ million a year...
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3040
» Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:10 pm
xbay wrote:
migya wrote:Maggette has been playing well off the bench and he has to because he is paid 10 million a year don't forget


I know you don't like him, but c'mon. So what if he's being paid what he's being paid? He's producing right? He's helping this team far more than hurting it like before. Taking the 6th man role, 24-30 minutes a night rather than having the starting, 32-42 minutes a night has made him a better player overall.

yeah, I could give a **** what they get paid, so long as they play well. Not a one of them is worth the money, but at least they earn it, as opposed to the sleazebag CEOs and bankers flushing our country down the drain...the "he gets paid too much, is silly." There is a list about 200 players long of players who are more "overpaid" than Maggette. No one holds a gun to an owner's head, and as I pay $8 for a **** budweiser beer or $5 for a fifty cent bottle of water, I am not weeping for the poor oppressed ownership. We don't trip on what actors or musicians get paid, so long as we enjoy it. Maggette is, bar none, the best post-up player we have had since I moved out here in 1992, it is not even close.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:42 pm
coltraning wrote:yeah, I could give a **** what they get paid, so long as they play well. Not a one of them is worth the money, but at least they earn it, as opposed to the sleazebag CEOs and bankers flushing our country down the drain...the "he gets paid too much, is silly." There is a list about 200 players long of players who are more "overpaid" than Maggette


That's simply not true in the salary cap era, Colt. Having an overpaid player hurts your team, even if he's playing well (not well enough to not be overpaid, of course, because we wouldn't be discussing this if that were the case), because it limits the capacity of the front office to improve the roster.

The "he gets paid too much" point is perfectly valid except in the case of true stars that can put a team in contender status by themselves. That's when it doesn't matter what they make, but any other kind of player deserves to be measured according to his contract.

If CJ Watson is a bargain at what he makes, Crawford, Jackson and Maggette are horrible deals. And I guess we all agree that those guys are all of them better than Watson (well, not so sure about Crapford :mrgreen: ).


Of course, without a salary cap, I couldn't care less about what any player makes. Everything would be based on their on-court performance. Sadly, that's simply not the case under the current rules.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3040
» Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:31 pm
TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote:yeah, I could give a **** what they get paid, so long as they play well. Not a one of them is worth the money, but at least they earn it, as opposed to the sleazebag CEOs and bankers flushing our country down the drain...the "he gets paid too much, is silly." There is a list about 200 players long of players who are more "overpaid" than Maggette


That's simply not true in the salary cap era, Colt. Having an overpaid player hurts your team, even if he's playing well (not well enough to not be overpaid, of course, because we wouldn't be discussing this if that were the case), because it limits the capacity of the front office to improve the roster.

The "he gets paid too much" point is perfectly valid except in the case of true stars that can put a team in contender status by themselves. That's when it doesn't matter what they make, but any other kind of player deserves to be measured according to his contract.

If CJ Watson is a bargain at what he makes, Crawford, Jackson and Maggette are horrible deals. And I guess we all agree that those guys are all of them better than Watson (well, not so sure about Crapford :mrgreen: ).


Of course, without a salary cap, I couldn't care less about what any player makes. Everything would be based on their on-court performance. Sadly, that's simply not the case under the current rules.

Like I said, there are about 200 players (at least) who earn their salary less than Maggette does. I agree about Crawford though - he's not even as good as Kurz, he sucks so bad. BRING BACK BOBBY SURA goddamn it.
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:56 pm
migya wrote:Maggette has been playing well off the bench and he has to because he is paid 10 million a year don't forget

How could any of us possibly forget that?

It's been mentioned in every single thread since we signed him.

TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote:yeah, I could give a **** what they get paid, so long as they play well. Not a one of them is worth the money, but at least they earn it, as opposed to the sleazebag CEOs and bankers flushing our country down the drain...the "he gets paid too much, is silly." There is a list about 200 players long of players who are more "overpaid" than Maggette


That's simply not true in the salary cap era, Colt. Having an overpaid player hurts your team, even if he's playing well (not well enough to not be overpaid, of course, because we wouldn't be discussing this if that were the case), because it limits the capacity of the front office to improve the roster.

The "he gets paid too much" point is perfectly valid except in the case of true stars that can put a team in contender status by themselves. That's when it doesn't matter what they make, but any other kind of player deserves to be measured according to his contract.

If CJ Watson is a bargain at what he makes, Crawford, Jackson and Maggette are horrible deals. And I guess we all agree that those guys are all of them better than Watson (well, not so sure about Crapford :mrgreen: ).


Of course, without a salary cap, I couldn't care less about what any player makes. Everything would be based on their on-court performance. Sadly, that's simply not the case under the current rules.

So, TMC, based solely on this season, what is your argument that Corey Maggette is overpaid? I get that he's missed a few games this season, so there's one knock on him. The "black hole" comments were debatable, at best, earlier in the year (and nobody's complaining about Corey getting to the rack now). So my question is, aside from those two statements (one of which is up in the air), what argument can be made that Corey Maggette isn't worth $10 million? He led the team in scoring for most of the year (your boy, Crawford, has since replaced him). He willingly accepted a bench role that he's blossomed in: 22.4 PPG on 57% shooting in 7 games off the bench this year. And he is 2nd on the entire team in rebounding (6.2 RPG), which many would say is our biggest weakness this season.

What more does Corey Maggette have to do before the haters quit with the marginal, hesitant, back-handed half-compliments?
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3064
» Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:23 pm
maggs has definitely opened my eyes lately. he's played really well. he's overpaid in the sense that other teams were offering their mle, but their are a ton of guys making more money than they deserve. i want to continue to see how he meshes with this team. if nothing else, we are gathering some talented players who could become nice trade pieces if they don't work out
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:26 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:maggs has definitely opened my eyes lately. he's played really well. he's overpaid in the sense that other teams were offering their mle, but their are a ton of guys making more money than they deserve. i want to continue to see how he meshes with this team. if nothing else, we are gathering some talented players who could become nice trade pieces if they don't work out

Just to be clear, "other teams" were the Celtics and Spurs who offered their MLE because they couldn't afford to give him anything else. The MLE is definitely not market value for a player of Maggette's caliber; its the price he'd have to swallow if he wanted to win a ring on a stacked squad.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests