Nelson's New Comments/Decision On Randolph

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32


All Star
Posts: 3177
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:24 pm
My Goodness gracious, this Nelly guy is a walking embarrassment, a mumbling idiot, delaying the development of AR. Again this is a 19 year old kid being this harsh to him is not the way to go. Hello we lost back to back to the T-Wolves, and Thunder, cant blame AR there can we Nelly, since he never played.

Am going to my first game of the season, on the 21st, believe me am going to voice my opinions on how much i dislike and hate Nelly as a coach. Am going to make sure he hears it, am sure this should help me with the stress Nelly has caused through out the season.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3064
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:30 pm
migya wrote:Nelson just doesn't like rookies and this is another situation like he had with Webber all those years ago. He likes to be followed, almost worshipped by the young ones, he is old school, military like and that alienates the young guys. Randolph looks brash with an attitude a bit but he has to be nurtured into getting better, not embarrassed


But HE IS IN LOVE WITH ROB ****ing KURZ!!!!
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3242
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:24 am
sadly, i think it adds to his ego "hey, check out these undrafted rookies i keep finding"

Role Player
Posts: 325
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:30 am
nellie wants to be innovative, and he wants to be an underdog

he keeps pickin' guys up from d-league so that he'll get attention for being creative...trying to start a trend...funny thing is it's worked

the decreased pressure to win doesnt hurt either
User avatar

Role Player
Posts: 384
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:24 am
Really, really disgusting groupthink on this forum.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... s.warriors

(01-04) 04:00 PST Minneapolis - --

It isn't easy being Anthony Randolph these days.

The Warriors' rookie hasn't played in the last three games. His coach has called him out privately and publicly. And concerns about his maturity, present since the draft, have been stirred from within.

After Friday's loss in Minnesota, coach Don Nelson was asked if his 19-year-old forward was officially out of the rotation. Nelson responded with his harshest criticism yet, saying that Randolph needed to "grow up" and was being "put on ice" until his assistants and captains deemed him ready to play.

So on Saturday, with the Warriors barely fielding enough healthy bodies for 2-on-2 scrimmaging at the end, Randolph practiced on despite tweaking his knee, assistant coaches almost always in his ear.

"You just keep working," Randolph said afterward.

Randolph, considered a steal with the 14th pick, said assistants Keith Smart and Rico Hines have been guiding him on "little things to learn," which include becoming a better rebounder and post player, and believes he's improved in those areas.

He said that he was relying on family and prayers to get through his rough patches, and that it helped a little knowing that Brandan Wright and Marco Belinelli - who also saw extensive bench time as rookies last season - get more of a chance this season.

He just hopes to earn his own, despite the perception that a poor attitude toward not playing helped land him in Nelson's doghouse.

"Can't do anything about what somebody thinks, I can't control somebody's thoughts," Randolph said. "I just go out there and do what I'm doing. If I get my minutes, I play hard, like I do every game."

While it remains unclear what exactly prompted Nelson's latest comments, they only fueled questions about Randolph's future with the Warriors, especially given Nelson's infamous feud with Chris Webber.

The coach previously detailed bad practice habits as a reason for Randolph's benchings, but the rookie was also chastised by Stephen Jackson two weeks ago for going too hard.

Randolph was scrimmaging in a 3-on-3 halfcourt setting in Oakland when he went up hard and caught Rob Kurz in the face, splitting open his teammate's chin and sending Kurz to the training room bloodied.

Jackson, among the veterans watching from the other end of the court, made it clear that he believed Randolph's show of force was excessive, yapping at the rookie for a good minute.


On Friday, Jackson attributed Randolph's struggles to those of any rookie trying to make the transition to the NBA.

"This is his first year and he's just going through the normal growing pains, learning how to play, how to take criticism," Jackson said. "It was the same thing with me."

"Some 19 year olds, they have the ability to go out there and play right away and some don't," Corey Maggette added. "You just got to wait your turn. I tell guys the story all the time: When Michael Redd came into the league, he didn't play a lick. But I always saw him working hard. He got his opportunity ... and became one of the best players in the league."

Maggette pointed at Kurz, the undrafted rookie whom Nelson is starting while Wright is injured, as an example of where hard work can get a player.

"I don't think the world is against him. I just think that a lot of times, guys don't understand that it's an up-and-down season and they got to stay with it," Hines added. "Keep coming to work every day and get better for the long term. ... That's what I always talk to him about. Keep working, because we're not at LSU. We're in the NBA playing basketball."


Seriously bitch all you want, but Randolph is showing some immaturity issues, and he's not at the level of Michael Beasley, Derrick Rose, or OJ Mayo.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 5907
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:40 am
i feel both sides of the arguement... i know Nelly has a history of alienating punkz.

Cwebb is the best example...

But Quazza says it best about him being proud of drafting unheralded and undrafted rookies.

If this season is truely over it's good to develop your weak kittens and leave the big mutant kittens for next season. There's no doubt Rob Kurz and Marco Bellinelli can be great... and Nellie ball is all about inflating everyones points so they become bigger targets on the trading block.

YOUR ALLN F<>KING crazy if you dont agree about showcasing players who ain't apart of the teams future. If Rob Kurz is still getting more minutes then Wright/Randolph AFTER THE TRADE DEADLINE

........

THEN I'D BE PISSED !!!
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22190
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:56 am
Hoonyo wrote:Really, really disgusting groupthink on this forum.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... s.warriors

(01-04) 04:00 PST Minneapolis - --

It isn't easy being Anthony Randolph these days.

The Warriors' rookie hasn't played in the last three games. His coach has called him out privately and publicly. And concerns about his maturity, present since the draft, have been stirred from within.

After Friday's loss in Minnesota, coach Don Nelson was asked if his 19-year-old forward was officially out of the rotation. Nelson responded with his harshest criticism yet, saying that Randolph needed to "grow up" and was being "put on ice" until his assistants and captains deemed him ready to play.

So on Saturday, with the Warriors barely fielding enough healthy bodies for 2-on-2 scrimmaging at the end, Randolph practiced on despite tweaking his knee, assistant coaches almost always in his ear.

"You just keep working," Randolph said afterward.

Randolph, considered a steal with the 14th pick, said assistants Keith Smart and Rico Hines have been guiding him on "little things to learn," which include becoming a better rebounder and post player, and believes he's improved in those areas.

He said that he was relying on family and prayers to get through his rough patches, and that it helped a little knowing that Brandan Wright and Marco Belinelli - who also saw extensive bench time as rookies last season - get more of a chance this season.

He just hopes to earn his own, despite the perception that a poor attitude toward not playing helped land him in Nelson's doghouse.

"Can't do anything about what somebody thinks, I can't control somebody's thoughts," Randolph said. "I just go out there and do what I'm doing. If I get my minutes, I play hard, like I do every game."

While it remains unclear what exactly prompted Nelson's latest comments, they only fueled questions about Randolph's future with the Warriors, especially given Nelson's infamous feud with Chris Webber.

The coach previously detailed bad practice habits as a reason for Randolph's benchings, but the rookie was also chastised by Stephen Jackson two weeks ago for going too hard.

Randolph was scrimmaging in a 3-on-3 halfcourt setting in Oakland when he went up hard and caught Rob Kurz in the face, splitting open his teammate's chin and sending Kurz to the training room bloodied.

Jackson, among the veterans watching from the other end of the court, made it clear that he believed Randolph's show of force was excessive, yapping at the rookie for a good minute.


On Friday, Jackson attributed Randolph's struggles to those of any rookie trying to make the transition to the NBA.

"This is his first year and he's just going through the normal growing pains, learning how to play, how to take criticism," Jackson said. "It was the same thing with me."

"Some 19 year olds, they have the ability to go out there and play right away and some don't," Corey Maggette added. "You just got to wait your turn. I tell guys the story all the time: When Michael Redd came into the league, he didn't play a lick. But I always saw him working hard. He got his opportunity ... and became one of the best players in the league."

Maggette pointed at Kurz, the undrafted rookie whom Nelson is starting while Wright is injured, as an example of where hard work can get a player.

"I don't think the world is against him. I just think that a lot of times, guys don't understand that it's an up-and-down season and they got to stay with it," Hines added. "Keep coming to work every day and get better for the long term. ... That's what I always talk to him about. Keep working, because we're not at LSU. We're in the NBA playing basketball."


Seriously bitch all you want, but Randolph is showing some immaturity issues, and he's not at the level of Michael Beasley, Derrick Rose, or OJ Mayo.



See the full story makes things look a whole lot different :wink:

I want to know more about the things that Randolph has done that is out of line, as playing too hard in practice is not all that bad, there has to be much more to this

All Star
Posts: 2035
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:58 am
I really don't understand how Nellie traded away Murphy he's a better version of Kutz...And also I don't understand how a player like Tom Tolbert got playing time for Nellie??? Hendrix is a monster and it's unbelievable how we just let him go???

All Star
Posts: 2714
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:12 am
its impossible to comment on why or what nellie is doing , due to either nellie not telling the complete story or nellie making the story up as he goes along.
To me randolph has all the makings of a future star, following the ball off the rim on offense for the put back , energy in the paint on defense , ability to take the ball up the court, and a very nice speed for his size...
On the down side, he tends to get ahead of the game , to many times he is moving faster than the tempo and faster than his skill set , how many times have we ween him miss a 15 footer due to him not being in controll.
I think its better to sit him until he learns than to let him play into a career full of bad habits.
Often the things we never wanted to happen to us or a player turn out to be the best thing ( in hind sight) that could have ever happened.
Also nellie did share the blame by saying the asst coaches and the team captians would need to voice up before randolph was to see any game time.....if it was all nellie's ego why would he bring others into the deciscion, if it was all ego he wouldn't care enough of the media / or fans oppinions to make it a joint deciscion.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 7481
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:20 am
JOEL wrote:its impossible to comment on why or what nellie is doing , due to either nellie not telling the complete story or nellie making the story up as he goes along.
To me randolph has all the makings of a future star, following the ball off the rim on offense for the put back , energy in the paint on defense , ability to take the ball up the court, and a very nice speed for his size...
On the down side, he tends to get ahead of the game , to many times he is moving faster than the tempo and faster than his skill set , how many times have we ween him miss a 15 footer due to him not being in controll.
I think its better to sit him until he learns than to let him play into a career full of bad habits.
Often the things we never wanted to happen to us or a player turn out to be the best thing ( in hind sight) that could have ever happened.


Good take on it JOEL.

However, I am a firm believer in letting youngsters with this much talent, play through all this..........I mean hes not going to learn what works and doesnt in game situations sitting on the bench.

Also, with how confident he is, Im sure that Randolph himself gets pissed off about the poor plays he makes, and would corrent them/stop doing them so much if he were only afforded the consistent time to do so.

Treating him like this only breeds more instances of him coming into a game and trying to do to much, as he feels he has to compensate/make-up for all the time he hasnt been able to show what hes got.

Finally, a player of his ilk, one who feeds off emotion and confidence............is not going to do well being treated like this.

JOEL wrote:Also nellie did share the blame by saying the asst coaches and the team captians would need to voice up before randolph was to see any game time.....if it was all nellie's ego why would he bring others into the deciscion, if it was all ego he wouldn't care enough of the media / or fans oppinions to make it a joint deciscion.


IMO, this is Nelson passing the buck.............I mean, when have you ever heard ANYTHING like this before? I certainly havnt.

Saying that it is now up to assistants and players (players! WTF?) to decide whether hes ready to play...........is basically saying "Ive run out of ideas, and cant be bothered to manage this situation anymore........so Im passing it off"

Its just Nelson being lazy, playing his ridiculous and detrimental mind games as always............I mean how the hell must Randolph feel when he looks his team-mates in the eye, and realises that THEY can decide whether he plays or not!? :roll:

Especially S-Jax, who makes more mistakes per minute, takes worser shots at worser times..........and nothing is done about that of course.

Ps: This is very deja-vu like...........and its getting real boring talking about these same problems over and over without any solutions or improvements............they just get worse and more baffling game by game.

All Star
Posts: 2714
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:30 am
you may be right he with his passion could very well use his mistakes to improve on his own...no way to know i guess.
randolph could very well be the most passionate guy in the west :shock: .

as far as nellie -
like i said part of his game is to keep everyone guessing weather it be who /how he matches up players or how he deals with his roster or how he deals with the media/fans.....

imo nellie figures he wins we nobody can tell what is going on.
frustrating to watch as the team looks to be crumbled ( present-tense)

All Star
Posts: 3177
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:52 am
NOt asking for AR to get 30 minutes a game, just get his feet wet- The way he plays can also be attributed to coaching- He needs to know his role his strenth-rebounding, slashing, and defense, and Weakness-outside shot, shot selection, attitude-,he tends to sulk. He needs to improve on his weakness. We all know he is capable of producing.

What about Nellies arguement with Jax, didnt seem like Jax got disciplined at all, instead things stayed the same he plays heavy minutes, keeps turning the ball over and we keep losing.

It almost seems like Nelly has giving up on AR, giving up on the team. His words have no merit because this year he has coached terriblly. All the other coaches with similar records have been canned- with the exeption of Dunleavy in LA. Okay so AR isn't playing due the the reasonings of Nelly. What about Nelly, his attitude, and his perfromance. He is pointing fingers at people, and who ever is suppose to discipline him, is looking the other way. There is no accountablity towards Nelly, he has way too much power, bleeps whater ever he wants and doesnt get called out.

All Star
Posts: 2714
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:01 am
warriorsstepup wrote:NOt asking for AR to get 30 minutes a game, just get his feet wet- The way he plays can also be attributed to coaching- He needs to know his role his strenth-rebounding, slashing, and defense, and Weakness-outside shot, shot selection, attitude-,he tends to sulk. He needs to improve on his weakness. We all know he is capable of producing.

What about Nellies arguement with Jax, didnt seem like Jax got disciplined at all, instead things stayed the same he plays heavy minutes, keeps turning the ball over and we keep losing.

It almost seems like Nelly has giving up on AR, giving up on the team. His words have no merit because this year he has coached terriblly. All the other coaches with similar records have been canned- with the exeption of Dunleavy in LA. Okay so AR isn't playing due the the reasonings of Nelly. What about Nelly, his attitude, and his perfromance. He is pointing fingers at people, and who ever is suppose to discipline him, is looking the other way. There is no accountablity towards Nelly, he has way too much power, bleeps whater ever he wants and doesnt get called out.


only thing i can say is ...earned minutes....

when morow was one fire he got to play more...when brandon wasnt injured he got to play more....watson has been doing better and is getting to play more....same with marco.....( cant figure on how kurz is getting in)
(jackson has been sitting more and more).

as far as randolph sulking yeah i see that also , i wonder if he is sulking or if he just happens to have that "look'? when he is playing well or makes a good play i dont see much change in his expression.

All Star
Posts: 3177
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:22 am
JOEL wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:NOt asking for AR to get 30 minutes a game, just get his feet wet- The way he plays can also be attributed to coaching- He needs to know his role his strenth-rebounding, slashing, and defense, and Weakness-outside shot, shot selection, attitude-,he tends to sulk. He needs to improve on his weakness. We all know he is capable of producing.

What about Nellies arguement with Jax, didnt seem like Jax got disciplined at all, instead things stayed the same he plays heavy minutes, keeps turning the ball over and we keep losing.

It almost seems like Nelly has giving up on AR, giving up on the team. His words have no merit because this year he has coached terriblly. All the other coaches with similar records have been canned- with the exeption of Dunleavy in LA. Okay so AR isn't playing due the the reasonings of Nelly. What about Nelly, his attitude, and his perfromance. He is pointing fingers at people, and who ever is suppose to discipline him, is looking the other way. There is no accountablity towards Nelly, he has way too much power, bleeps whater ever he wants and doesnt get called out.


only thing i can say is ...earned minutes....

when morow was one fire he got to play more...when brandon wasnt injured he got to play more....watson has been doing better and is getting to play more....same with marco.....( cant figure on how kurz is getting in)
(jackson has been sitting more and more).

as far as randolph sulking yeah i see that also , i wonder if he is sulking or if he just happens to have that "look'? when he is playing well or makes a good play i dont see much change in his expression.


There are times when AR is going to play like a rookie and make mistakes- am pointing to him needing to use his strengths more than his weakness to limit that.

B-Wright has been getting the most inconsistent palying time, he would play sporadic minutes. Nelly would start him he will play well first half and barely play in the second.

I think the only reason Jax was on the bench was because of his wrist injury. Other than that he continues to get heavy minutes- look at the last 2 games- Thunder he played 41 minutes, and T-Wolves he played 37 mins, he still continous to get playing time.

I get you though Morrow did earn his minutes while he hot, so did Watson-
Nelly jsut seems play favoritism to certain players and show no love to others.

There are times when AR heads to the bench and the sulking look gets more intense, but true he does seem to carry that look through out the whole game.
Last edited by warriorsstepup on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

All Star
Posts: 2714
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:30 am
JOEL wrote:
warriorsstepup wrote:NOt asking for AR to get 30 minutes a game, just get his feet wet- The way he plays can also be attributed to coaching- He needs to know his role his strenth-rebounding, slashing, and defense, and Weakness-outside shot, shot selection, attitude-,he tends to sulk. He needs to improve on his weakness. We all know he is capable of producing.

What about Nellies arguement with Jax, didnt seem like Jax got disciplined at all, instead things stayed the same he plays heavy minutes, keeps turning the ball over and we keep losing.

It almost seems like Nelly has giving up on AR, giving up on the team. His words have no merit because this year he has coached terriblly. All the other coaches with similar records have been canned- with the exeption of Dunleavy in LA. Okay so AR isn't playing due the the reasonings of Nelly. What about Nelly, his attitude, and his perfromance. He is pointing fingers at people, and who ever is suppose to discipline him, is looking the other way. There is no accountablity towards Nelly, he has way too much power, bleeps whater ever he wants and doesnt get called out.


only thing i can say is ...earned minutes....

when morow was one fire he got to play more...when brandon wasnt injured he got to play more....watson has been doing better and is getting to play more....same with marco.....( cant figure on how kurz is getting in)
(jackson has been sitting more and more).

as far as randolph sulking yeah i see that also , i wonder if he is sulking or if he just happens to have that "look'? when he is playing well or makes a good play i dont see much change in his expression.


yeah i wonder how long till jackson sits ...after making a turn over....to me it looks like nellie is afraid to play without jackson.....i say if anyone could use a good benching it would be jackson.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests