Brandan and The Boards

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32


All Star
Posts: 1910
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:35 pm
Quazza wrote:see I disagree. I think Nelson's been absolutely horrible this year. From his non-existent rotations, to god awful defensive sets, he's flat out coached poorly in my opinion

I'm not sure anyone see's these 2 as our saviours, but it's clear as day they both have talent. Why not nurture it?


The team has really looked bad. That's granted.

But without Baron, Monta or a PF... I'm not sure what we expect him to do. Most here think we should play Wright and Randolph to fix the problem, where I don't think they're ready or that there's any answer to the problem without making another trade.

I'm almost like the above poster who said he was beyond caring.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3242
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:45 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:
Quazza wrote:see I disagree. I think Nelson's been absolutely horrible this year. From his non-existent rotations, to god awful defensive sets, he's flat out coached poorly in my opinion

I'm not sure anyone see's these 2 as our saviours, but it's clear as day they both have talent. Why not nurture it?


The team has really looked bad. That's granted.

But without Baron, Monta or a PF... I'm not sure what we expect him to do. Most here think we should play Wright and Randolph to fix the problem, where I don't think they're ready or that there's any answer to the problem without making another trade.

I'm almost like the above poster who said he was beyond caring.


See, i don't think most here playing the kids will fix the problem. But what good is playing the vets and losing doing? It's my view that every minute your kids play, is an investment into their/your future. Will they help us win now? Hmmm, maybe, but probably not. But when BW scores 10 in a 3rd quarter, then doesn't see another minute of court time, THAT's what i chalk down to bad coaching
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3064
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:01 am
StuckInSoCal wrote:I think this board has built up Wright and Randolph as team saviors and lashed out at Nelson for not playing them. Sadly, I don't think Wright/Randolph are as good as we think they are and Nelson is as bad as we think he is.

The Warriors biggest mistakes of the past few years were letting Baron go and never, ever acquiring a PF. Add in all the other personnel issues and we have a very odd roster makeup.


yeah, because Kurz and Morrow are so freakin awesome :roll:

All Star
Posts: 1910
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:08 am
And those two cats aren't playing that much, either.

Role Player
Posts: 325
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:39 am
bw's underperformed and been too streaky as a rebounder, but i absolutely love his rebounding ability...hes one of our two x factors on the glass

for what its worth, ive been dissapointed in him this season, but that's b/c of the high expectations he earned for himself after rookie year....just needs to adjust, learn, and continue adding that weight

Role Player
Posts: 325
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:44 am
StuckInSoCal wrote:And those two cats aren't playing that much, either.


im not gonna do the math...but if you add it up, w's rely 100x more on d-league scrubs than any other team...do the math and u'll get 100x

Role Player
Posts: 325
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:45 am
chinchilla, why's bw a horrible rb'er?

Role Player
Posts: 288
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:56 am
Everyone thought Marco couldnt do much even though he barely got any playing time. Now that he gets some consistent playing time every game, he's showing that he can do a bit more than just chuck up three's. Wright and Randolph are in similar situations. Their playing time is just too inconsistent to be able to judge accurately at this point, especially Randolph who's in Nellie's doghouse.

Role Player
Posts: 246
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:02 am
TruE SExy wrote:chinchilla, why's bw a horrible rb'er?


Okay, he's not horrible, he's an average rebounder...

but for a guy with his wingspan, he should be getting more boards when he's in there. now, since we're having troubles with defensive rebounding even when he's on the floor, he's getting knocked off the block and he doesn't seem to have that "go get it" mentality that beans has.

but i guess in all fairness, we're a horrible rebounding team. i mean, david foster beat us up.
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:11 pm
You knew I'd swoop in on the defense sooner or later. Let's get some facts straight:

1) Brandan Wright was drafted at 205 pounds. Bob Fitzgerald has mentioned on his radio show numerous times that Wright lifted serious weights this summer and is currently at 215. You can notice the definition easily compared to last year. Like AB, he hasn't "bulked up", but he has definitely toned up. I doubt many websites would bother reporting a minor uptick such as this, so go ahead and hit me with your links to Yahoo and ESPN and blah blah blah... but do with it what you will. He's 215 pounds according to the people that watch him every day.

2) That "intensity" and/or "fire" that people are speaking of is purely for the birds. Two years ago, the buzz phrase was "killer instinct". Now it's "fire". Basically, when people aren't wowed with a prospect because they don't hammer down enough thunderous jams, people question the kid's motivation. Was anyone complaining about Brandan's finese when he was aware enough to float a lay-up off the glass as the shot-clock expired during the Thunder game? $100 says the flavor-of-the-week, Randolph, would have gone up, slammed down a ferocious BSPN highlight, and had the bucket waived off for not releasing in time (followed by that kid-who-just-lost-his-ice-cream scowl that everyone seems to be creaming over). Just because Brandan Wright is a finese player and not a power player doesn't mean he lacks "fire", or whatever else people are calling it now. Tim Duncan and Zydrunas Ilgauskaus are big guys who go about their business successfully without that "FIRE". Not everyone has to be Amare.

3) Brandan is a phenominal asset on the floor. His rebounding numbers won't count tips to teammates, but they'll make a difference. His defensive numbers won't count deflections that start fast breaks, but they'll make a difference. His shot-blocking numbers won't reflect it, but Andris Biedrins will be the first person to tell you that the only reason he was able to block so-and-so's shot was because Brandan jumped first on the man defense and AB was able to clean up with the help. The guy brings a game to this team that we are better with than without. He's a basketball player in every sense of the word. It seems to me the most hate Brandan Wright catches are from people who don't watch every game and have to rely on his statline to gauge what kind of player he is. Please rest assured, people, that Brandan Wright is a keeper.

Here's some food for conversation: I think it's absolutely ridiculous that Anthony Randolph leap-frogged Wright in so many people's estimation BEFORE HE EVEN SET FOOT ON AN NBA FLOOR. Before the season, this kid was the best thing since sliced bread. Now that he's making stupid mistakes and burying himself on the bench, you aren't hearing so many of the boo-birds clamoring for us to "keep Randolph and trade Wright". Where'd you fools all go? I thought AR was the future? :wink: (note: I love Randolph's game, too... I'm simply playing devil's advocate to the Brandan-doubters in this thread)
Last edited by 32 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All Star
Posts: 1910
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:19 pm
32 wrote:You knew I'd swoop in on the defense sooner or later. Let's get some facts straight:

1) Brandan Wright was drafted at 205 pounds. Bob Fitzgerald has mentioned on his radio show numerous times that Wright lifted serious weights this summer and is currently at 215. You can notice the definition easily compared to last year. Like AB, he hasn't "bulked up", but he has definitely toned up. I doubt many websites would bother reporting a minor uptick such as this, so go ahead and hit me with your links to Yahoo and ESPN and blah blah blah... but do with it what you will. He's 215 pounds according to the people that watch him every day.

2) That "intensity" and/or "fire" that people are speaking of is purely for the birds. Two years ago, the buzz phrase was "killer instinct". Now it's "fire". Basically, when people aren't wowed with a prospect because they don't hammer down enough thunderous jams, people question the kid's motivation. Was anyone complaining about Brandan's finese when he was aware enough to float a lay-up off the glass as the shot-clock expired during the Thunder game? $100 says the flavor-of-the-week, Randolph, would have gone up, slammed down a ferocious BSPN highlight, and had the bucket waived off for not releasing in time (followed by that kid-who-just-his-ice-cream scowl that everyone seems to be creaming over). Just because Brandan Wright is a finese player and not a power player doesn't mean he lacks "fire", or whatever else people are calling it now. Tim Duncan and Zydrunas Ilgauskaus are big guys who go about their business successfully without that "FIRE". Not everyone has to be Amare.

3) Brandan is a phenominal asset on the floor. His rebounding numbers won't count tips to teammates, but they'll make a difference. His defensive numbers won't count deflections that start fast breaks, but they'll make a difference. His shot-blocking numbers won't reflect it, but Andris Biedrins will be the first person to tell you that the only reason he was able to block so-and-so's shot was because Brandan jumped first on the man defense and AB was able to clean up with the help. The guy brings a game to this team that we are better with than without. He's a basketball player in every sense of the word. It seems to me the most hate Brandan Wright catches are from people who don't watch every game and have to rely on his statline to gauge what kind of player he is. Please rest assured, people, that Brandan Wright is a keeper.

Here's some food for conversation: I think it's absolutely ridiculous that Anthony Randolph leap-frogged Wright in so many people's estimation BEFORE HE EVEN SET FOOT ON AN NBA FLOOR. Before the season, this kid was the best thing since sliced bread. Now that he's making stupid mistakes and burying himself on the bench, you aren't hearing so many of the boo-birds clamoring for us to "keep Randolph and trade Wright". Where'd you fools all go? I thought AR was the future? :wink: (note: I love Randolph's game, too... I'm simply playing devil's advocate to the Brandan-doubters in this thread)


I certainly hope you're right about Wright.

All Star
Posts: 2035
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:44 pm
Brandan is a pansy!!! He's the next Joe Smith...Weak ass W's!!!

Role Player
Posts: 214
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:53 pm
SFWarriors wrote:Everyone thought Marco couldnt do much even though he barely got any playing time. Now that he gets some consistent playing time every game, he's showing that he can do a bit more than just chuck up three's. Wright and Randolph are in similar situations. Their playing time is just too inconsistent to be able to judge accurately at this point, especially Randolph who's in Nellie's doghouse.


Wright has had ample opportunity last year and this year compared to Marco, where as Marco just played garbage minutes or got DNP's. Brandan STILL has more career minutes played than Marco, this is even with Belinelli's 30+ min per game in recent weeks. I really don't know what people see in Wright. He has all the tools to make him NOT a good rebounder: skinny, low desire, and poor fundamentals. How many times I've seen him just stand there expecting to outjump his opponent instead of boxing out. I think people are HOPING this kid is good (due to being a lottery pick) rather than seeing his performance. He hasn't shown me anything besides being the 'athletic type.' I wouldn't hesitate to trade him if it meant getting a quality PF or star player.

All Star
Posts: 2035
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:58 pm
People here are bandwagon on Marco's nuts now that he is getting playing time....

All Star
Posts: 3310
» Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:09 pm
amare has small hands too. good rebounder, but not rebounding at the rate most people expected him to. wright wasnt as ready as amare coming into the league, but id say give him a break. this is basically like his rookie season being that he really didnt play last year and his numbers right now are good when you take that into consideration. jrich improved each year in different aspects of his game, maybe the approach with wright is gonna be similar. we know he can score and be a shot blocker. his rebounding will get better along with the rest of his game.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 28 guests