Brandan and The Boards

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Franchise Player
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:45 am
From having a look at Steinsh*tz blog (which I am actually starting to like by the way) he posted an article from 48minutes.net.

This is an in-depth look at Brandans rebounding numbers and an a step by step look at his effort in the OKC game (a game we were murdered on the glass in of course)

They, as we have been saying for awhile attribute it all to his seeming lack of desire/fire to get it done on the boards, take a look =

http://48minutes.net/2009/01/01/brandan ... g-numbers/
This is Steinsh*tz's article =

http://www.examiner.com/x-441-Golden-St ... r--but-why

Brandan Wright's rebounding _ or lack of it _ was the subject of a Geoff Lepper post over at 48minutes.com.

Kudos to Geoff for breaking down the instances of when Wright failed to come up with a rebound for the Warriors.

The question that remains, of course, is why Wright doesn’t rebound. And we’re sticking to the same couple of reasons we suggested months back:

First, Wright’s inner fire and desire to rebound usually doesn’t equal the inner fire and desire of players he’s rebounding against. It's a toughness issue, simple as that, and Wright is more of a finesse player. And, No. 2 …

Wright’s got small hands, and they prevent him from gobbling up rebounds and following up missed stuff around the basket with just one hand.

There’s also some troubling information out of the D-League …

Richard Hendrix, whom the Warriors waived two weeks ago, is now playing for the Dakota Wizards. That's not what's troubling.

Hendrix has played two games thus far. In his first game, he had 23 points and 12 rebounds against Rio Grande Valley.

In his second game, Hendrix pulled down 25 rebounds, including 18 in the first half, against the Erie Bayhawks.

Those are numbers that are going to make Warriors fans keep an eye on him.

So, what do we think? will Brandan ever "get" that fire and/or desire to rebound the ball better...........or is he just going to be that guy who can finish around the rim well, block a shot or two but not really plug the massive problem areas we have inside.

For me, Im not buying the "Ohh, he needs to bulk up" thing anymore.............I mean what, hes been in and around the league, with this obvious bulk problem for a year and a half now.............is he any bigger? did he work/put on weight over the summer like he should have and needed to?.............if so, did it work?

All Star
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:54 am
I remember when I was blasted before the season by 32 when I suggested Wright was a sub par rebounder. This is one of the reasons I like Randolph better as a player and prospect than Wright.

All Star
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:40 am
I hate this team!!! We got stuck with Kurz and Williams but we let our rookie big man go!!! I hope he comes back and has a Paul Millsap career!!! Fuuuckk that old man Nellie he doesn't know what a quality big man is even though we are getting pounded on the boards!!!!

Franchise Player
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:51 am
He was listed as weighing 205 pounds when he was drafted............now.............he is listed as weighing 205 pounds. :shock:

How is that possible? considering how glaringly skinny and weightless he is for his size, position and type of game???

Who, if anyone, is working with him to put on weight or bulk? and why hasnt he put on a single pound after being around the NBA for a year and a half?

*EDIT* - Ohhh! ESPN and nba.com has him listed at 210!!! wow............5 pounds!!! amazing. :roll:

All Star
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:02 am
Now they say Randolph won't be getting any PT time. And it's up to the W's assistant coaches and the captains??? Jackson is a cancer he's putting down his fellow players and get's in the face of Randolph especially when he did that dunk against Yao in Houston. AR is an emotional player and he feeds off of that stuff!!! I'm glad that he gave Kurz that elbow in practice!!! I wish that more W's player got into more physical altercations in practice...Remember when the Blazers a few yrs ago had a heated practice and they won something like 13 games straight...

Starting Lineup
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:06 am
Wright (W)right now is like a .280 hitter with no power and decent defense, sort of like Aaron Rowan. In some ways, his stats have made him look better than he is. He is too cerebral, and is prone to be disengaged. I suspect that lack of urgency and quick instinct might be why Nellie has little faith in him. This is similar to Nelly’s non support of POB last year, who at the time certainly had his favorites on this board. Most of us would rather see Nelly go than Brandan but after all it has appeared Nelly was right about POB. He’s been derided by Doc Rivers and certainly not doing much with the Celtics now.

Alas, could Nelly actually know something we DON'T? But what scares me about that prospect is that he’s actually at least rumored to be throwing in the towel already about such an undeveloped a talent as Randolph!

I do think the weight issue is relevant. Nellie has said many times in the past he would like to see Brandan and Beans get bigger, but he‘s never just made them put on weight.

I would just like to see if Brandan can get his legs. He does have some unique talents. I don’t think he’s been given adequate chance, and there is no better time to find out how good Brandan is than right now. I think it should be one of the number 1 priorities of this season. It appears when we get back our vets, Brandan will play even less time and any hope of finding out how good he is will be shelved.

What he needs is his breakout game, where he doesn’t get in early foul trouble and Nellie allows him to just play. Can he start playing with more consistency? I do think with a couple of months of steady 25 minute a game play, we could make that judgment. If not he could certainly be worth something to others. He or Bellinelli might be a good enticement to trade with Maggs.

All Star
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:42 pm
J-Rich wrote:Now they say Randolph won't be getting any PT time. And it's up to the W's assistant coaches and the captains??? Jackson is a cancer he's putting down his fellow players and get's in the face of Randolph especially when he did that dunk against Yao in Houston. AR is an emotional player and he feeds off of that stuff!!! I'm glad that he gave Kurz that elbow in practice!!! I wish that more W's player got into more physical altercations in practice...Remember when the Blazers a few yrs ago had a heated practice and they won something like 13 games straight...

how does jack get into anybody's face when he leads the team in technicals? and he gets the stupidest technicals at that. Also, we waived hendrix so we can keep Rob Fuckin kurz? I'm seriously hating Nelly. This team is rolling downhill so fast, i'm getting such bad flashbacks.

Role Player
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:50 pm
I really don't think you need fire or tenacity to be a good rebounder... Biedrins doesn't really have much of those traits IMO. Wright will develop with good coaching and experience. He will learn how to judge distances and angles, how to account for other players vying for the ball, how to time his leaps and position himself favorably.

Besides, I notice no one has mentioned the dramatic increase in his scoring lately. I am completely unconcerned about any of this.

Role Player
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:20 pm
you cant teach intensity...players may be able to mimic it for a couple of games, but if its not in their blood its not gonna stick...this is who wright is...his potential is not to gain more "fire" but to bulk up, though thats a long term commitment and not very likely either

wrights a good rebounder, just not excellent like he was last year during his brilliant mini-stints

remember hes a bit undersized for a pf...id prefer him at sf if we didnt already have ar there

Role Player
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:25 pm
D4rk 0ne wrote:Besides, I notice no one has mentioned the dramatic increase in his scoring lately. I am completely unconcerned about any of this.

yep...he's guaranteed to be a good two way player...the only question mark is if he'll become great

All Star
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:39 pm
First off,

Happy 2009 everyone!

secondly,
I never really trust the reported weights and heights because
A) ESPN doesn't update stuff very often - they said baron davis was still with us almost till September, and they still haven't taken hendrix off btw.
B) they often get a lot of little things wrong, stuff like salaries and shiit, sometimes the stats are just ridiculously off (they will post total career stats where avgs should be).
C) I get the feeling a lot of players lie about their heights: Micheal Beasly was supposedly 6'10-6'11" coming out of college, and then it dropped an inch, and then another. DeMarcus nelson was supposedly 6'5, but then later they said he was 6'5" "in shoes"... after a while I just say whatever to all of it.
D) I seriously doubt espn bothers to update every players weight... they probably do it every other year, or like before draft day or something (aka begining of off season -> end of next season is the same weight)
if they weight him at the beginning of the off season - at the end of a long strenuous regular season, he will probably weigh less then at the end of the off season... I guess what I'm trying to say is, They've probably weighed the guy like twice

Third
Wright is still one skinny MF, I will give you that. Dude looks exactly the same as he did when I first saw him. but remember these dudes all weigh 200 plus. if you put on even ten pounds, your still adding <5% of your total weight - that's hard to notice

Fourth,
The guy just turned of legal drinking age (in the US) in October. he's still a college kid in my eyes. I still see him as an NCAA player playing in the NBA. It's going to take a while to gain confidence in this league if you are plucked out of college early, as I believe he was.

fifth,
I would trade one of our many SGs (cough SJ cough, cough) for a vet PF on his way out and give wright a few more years to grow (aka wait for nelson to leave so we can get a coach that can actually coach him). maybe someone in his 30's with a 3 year deal... then trade his expiring in like 2010, for what ever we need in a few years.

Role Player
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:50 pm
I don't get how people can defend wright by calling him a decent rebounder. He's a HORRIBLE rebounder...

Yeah, he can be defended in the sense that he doesn't get enough regular PT, or that he still needs to get his shot... but this dude hasn't put on any weight (as Bigs said), and he still hasn't developed a semi-mid range game. It makes you think about what the hell he's really learning at practice.

All Star
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:04 pm
a little off topic, but on rebounding, AR averages 12 boards per 36 mins. Too bad he's so immature :roll:

All Star
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:10 pm
I think this board has built up Wright and Randolph as team saviors and lashed out at Nelson for not playing them. Sadly, I don't think Wright/Randolph are as good as we think they are and Nelson is as bad as we think he is.

The Warriors biggest mistakes of the past few years were letting Baron go and never, ever acquiring a PF. Add in all the other personnel issues and we have a very odd roster makeup.

All Star
» Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:30 pm
see I disagree. I think Nelson's been absolutely horrible this year. From his non-existent rotations, to god awful defensive sets, he's flat out coached poorly in my opinion

I'm not sure anyone see's these 2 as our saviours, but it's clear as day they both have talent. Why not nurture it?