And Nelson's successor is.....?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Rookie
» Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:13 am
Ok so hear me out on this...

In the situation Don Nelson gets fired or resigns sometime between now and let's say the draft, what do you guys think about Tom Thibodeau as the next Warriors head coach? He was a name that was out there this past offseason for any vacancies.

I always thought Keith Smart would be the successor to Nellie whenever he left, but I don't know about someone from Nellie's staff anymore.

He probably would be the interim coach in the event that Nellie leaves mid-season sometime. And he certainly could earn the full time job if there any smidgen of a turnaround.

But in this losing streak it's obvious Defense was the back breaker.

We have the studs on the offensive side. Maybe Thibodeau could bring out the D in everybody.

After all, he IS the defensive guru.

Thoughts?
Last edited by xfactor103 on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Role Player
» Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:14 am
xfactor103 wrote:Ok so hear me out on this...

In the situation Don Nelson gets fired or resigns sometime between now and let's say the draft, what do you guys think about Tom Thibodeau as the next Warriors head coach? He was a name that was out there this past offseason for any vacancies.

I always thought Keith Smart would be the successor to Nellie whenever he left, but I don't know about someone from Nellie's staff anymore.

He probably would be the interim coach in the event that Nellie leaves mid-season sometime. And he certainly could earn the full time job if there any smidgen of a turnaround.

But in this losing streak it's obvious Defense was the back breaker.

We have the studs on the offensive side. Maybe Thibodeau could bring out the D in everybody.

After all, he IS the defensive guru.

Thoughts?

Why not add on to the already discussed Nellie thread, or even better...

instead of calling it "tom thibodeau", call it something like "Who would you like to replace Nelson."

Rookie
» Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:16 am
chinchilla13 wrote:
Why not add on to the already discussed Nellie thread, or even better...

instead of calling it "tom thibodeau", call it something like "Who would you like to replace Nelson."

That nelson thread is getting quite lengthy imo.

Took your advice on the latter tho.

Rookie
» Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:09 am
or even better, stop trying to be moderator. some people just don't have time to file through past threads.

Rookie
» Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:26 am
jphdeq wrote:or even better, stop trying to be moderator. some people just don't have time to file through past threads.

not sure who that was directed to

but let's try to get this thread back on track...

Tom Thibodeau? Keith Smart? Anybody else?

All Star
» Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:44 am
xfactor103 wrote:
jphdeq wrote:or even better, stop trying to be moderator. some people just don't have time to file through past threads.

not sure who that was directed to

but let's try to get this thread back on track...

Tom Thibodeau? Keith Smart? Anybody else?

Avery Johnson, Jeff Van Gundy?

(not that i think either of these guys would come-just chucking it out there tho)

All Star
» Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:50 am
I wouldnt mind Avery Johnson... but I don't mind Nellie either, honestly...

Role Player
» Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:52 am

calm down it was just a suggestion

Hall of Famer
» Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:08 am
Nelson ain't going anywhere, too much fukin money on the table, headed to his pocket, for that fat old prik to leave, to use logic and keep some of the young big players in either.

I said in another thread that Avery Johnson would be the ideal replacement because he is a proven winner and last time he coached he took over Nelson's job and did better with it!

Role Player
» Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:14 am
I got one out of left field, but is one of the hot names going around the league to be a great coach in the future...

...BRIAN SHAW!!

and im dead serious. It's about time we get a young, motivated head coach that is an ACTUAL basketball guy, not just some guy we hire out of reputation or was a part of some basketball staff for x amount of seasons.

All Star
» Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:23 am
migya wrote:Nelson ain't going anywhere, too much fukin money on the table, headed to his pocket, for that fat old prik to leave, to use logic and keep some of the young big players in either.

I said in another thread that Avery Johnson would be the ideal replacement because he is a proven winner and last time he coached he took over Nelson's job and did better with it!

Avery won coach of the year? what else? he got a Western Conference Championship and also the most embarrassing playoff upset after winning 64 games. I'd say that cancels each other out. So he got a coach of the year. so does Nellie.

Avery isn't a winner. See last year.

Stan Van Gundy isn't a winner either look at how long the Rockets were stuck in the first round.

I'd say Moncrief or Keith Smart. Keith coached a smart game last year after Nellie was ejected in Houston and warriors were down big.

Hall of Famer
» Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:32 am
saintdee wrote:
migya wrote:Nelson ain't going anywhere, too much fukin money on the table, headed to his pocket, for that fat old prik to leave, to use logic and keep some of the young big players in either.

Avery won coach of the year? what else? he got a Western Conference Championship and also the most embarrassing playoff upset after winning 64 games. I'd say that cancels each other out. So he got a coach of the year. so does Nellie.

Stan Van Gundy isn't a winner either look at how long the Rockets were stuck in the first round.

I'd say Moncrief or Keith Smart. Keith coached a smart game last year after Nellie was ejected in Houston and warriors were down big.

Keith Smart has got close to zero credentials! Avery Johnson has the success that you just listed and that was immediately as soon as he started coaching and the Mavs had three or four talented players and role players, so he did a very good job. The Warriors have tougher players than the Mavs had as well and with the appropriate changes, a coach like Avery would take this team further than it has since it's last championship maybe

All Star
» Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:36 am
saintdee wrote:

who said anything about Stan Van Gundy? Last time i checked he was coaching the magic still......

Hall of Famer
» Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:09 am
Quazza wrote:
saintdee wrote:

who said anything about Stan Van Gundy? Last time i checked he was coaching the magic still......

He was talking about Jeff, not Stan. Check the Rockets reference. It was just a mistake.

And I'd hate to have Jeff Van Gundy as our coach. Just an awful, awful pick for our roster. Nothing against him, but he's just a terrible fit.

From the names I've seen, the guys I'd like to be given a chance are Moncrief or Brian Shaw (yeah, even if he doesn't have any experience). Ron Harpers is on the same boat as Shaw.

If not, Avery has a lot more experience and I think he'd be an improvement. He's a good coach, just not a great one like the media made him look like when he won COY.

Hall of Famer
» Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:26 am
TMC wrote:If not, Avery has a lot more experience and I think he'd be an improvement. He's a good coach, just not a great one like the media made him look like when he won COY.

Reckon Avery could turn the team into possibly a championship caliber one, WITH THE APPROPRIATE ROSTER CHANGES. The changes are getting a very good PG, like Baron or thereabouts (almost impossible I know, especially with Mullin on the way out and therefore not being able to try to duplicate his genius whenhe traded for Baron) and getting rid of either Maggette or Crawford or maybe even both, though I think the team could operate well with a good PG and one of these guys still here. Avery would love having Biedrins, Turiaf, Randolph and BWright to work with, he'd love it and he'd make some very good defense happen with those guys, along with the likes of Monta and SJackson