Marcus Williams supposedly has asked for a trade

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 6107
» Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:03 pm
Marcus Williams's agent, Bill Duffy, said he asked the Warriors to trade his client. "It appeared to be an ideal fit for him over the summer after Baron Davis's absence," Duffy said. "Marcus has not had sustained opportunities. It's not his intention to leave, but it's important that he plays."
Duffy acknowledged that the Warriors have been talking to teams about Williams. Golden State executive vice president Chris Mullin believes Williams can still make an impact this season.

"To me, he just needs a chance," said Mullin. "We're going to put another scorer [Jamal Crawford], sooner or later, on the floor. So we'll need another passer. It's still early. We're just 10 games in. I understand his frustration. There is a lot of situations where it can click." -- The Boston Globe
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1757
» Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:08 pm
bada wrote:
Marcus Williams's agent, Bill Duffy, said he asked the Warriors to trade his client. "It appeared to be an ideal fit for him over the summer after Baron Davis's absence," Duffy said. "Marcus has not had sustained opportunities. It's not his intention to leave, but it's important that he plays."
Duffy acknowledged that the Warriors have been talking to teams about Williams. Golden State executive vice president Chris Mullin believes Williams can still make an impact this season.

"To me, he just needs a chance," said Mullin. "We're going to put another scorer [Jamal Crawford], sooner or later, on the floor. So we'll need another passer. It's still early. We're just 10 games in. I understand his frustration. There is a lot of situations where it can click." -- The Boston Globe


Good Bye Marcus! Too bad you cost a first round pick.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:12 pm
bada wrote:
Marcus Williams's agent, Bill Duffy, said he asked the Warriors to trade his client. "It appeared to be an ideal fit for him over the summer after Baron Davis's absence," Duffy said. "Marcus has not had sustained opportunities. It's not his intention to leave, but it's important that he plays."
Duffy acknowledged that the Warriors have been talking to teams about Williams. Golden State executive vice president Chris Mullin believes Williams can still make an impact this season.

"To me, he just needs a chance," said Mullin. "We're going to put another scorer [Jamal Crawford], sooner or later, on the floor. So we'll need another passer. It's still early. We're just 10 games in. I understand his frustration. There is a lot of situations where it can click." -- The Boston Globe


One thing I wonder when something like this happens is why it's never the players fault. First the Nets, now us, and he's still unable to get consistent playing time. And it's only because he doesn't get opportunities? What's this?. The league is conspiring against Marcus Williams to deny him his "opportunities"?

Come on...
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 6107
» Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:15 pm
agree with you TMC.

Sometimes I do agree that a player is not getting much of an opportunity but only when they play well in their limited opportunities. It is not like when he has played he has showed ANY reason to keep playing him.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 7481
» Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:26 pm
I was going to post this earlier..............but I forgot. :oops:

Anyway, lets just get rid of him, hes obviously a waste............if Nelllie isnt willing to play a supposedly flashy PG, when we dont have one............then something must be up.

Lets hope we can atleast get a pick for him.........preferebly better than the one we wasted to get him here in the first place.

All Star
Posts: 2956
» Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:30 pm
pretty soon the only player Nelly is going to have left is Jackson.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 2862
» Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:21 pm
The Coooach wrote:pretty soon the only player Nelly is going to have left is Jackson.


they'll finally be able to make out without the rest of the team there to judge them...

nah jus fooling...

I think that contract extension for jax was a REALLY stupid move by the warriors FO. Not only was it before the return of monta, but it was before the Crawford trade! I think it was done because someone up there decided, "hey lets have a happy SJ that can help us be a mediocre Bball team Now, rather than make the smart decision to wait and see how important he really is to us after the two most crucial SEASON DEFINING events go down.

I honestly think we should wait for the dust to settle. I didn't hear anyone on this board demanding we keep morrow on the squad before he blew up like 5 games ago. everybody thought "ohh he's just another belinelli, why do we need him?"

With the Al for crawford trade now done and gone, I'd hesitate to move anyone that's not a SG. We have Crawford, Monta, Maggs (a SG in LAC), jax, Belly, Morrow, and DeMarcus Nelson (I believe he's more of a SG). Shooting guards are first on the chopping block and for good reason. WE HAVE SEVEN!

More over,
the difference between someone like Al who really needed to be traded and Marcus who really doesn't is that:
A) Marcus has not proven much of anything to anyone
B) few teams are looking for a back up PG right now
C) he's not soaking up 9Million on the bench.
D) We can just cut him next with a team option next year.

He can bitch at the bottom of the bench all he wants, but I doubt his agent is gonna be like, "just pull a harrington, on them and say you have back cramps, that'll get ya moved for sure!", he's got to get out there and prove he's worth more than a Million dollar hunk of shiit before we have a legit reason to move him.

If he's packaged with a SG to lubricate a deal, I'd be OK with it, but he's not going to be the headline of the trade for sure.

everything is leaning towards him, shutting the F up, and playing his ass off right now.

Role Player
Posts: 246
» Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:39 pm
I think you're all TOTALLY wrong...

Marcus Williams can TOTALLY be a productive part of a team...

...a team like Duke or North Carolina. :)




Seriously, ship his ass outta and trade him to New Orleans for one of their nationally televised games and a bowl of gumbo.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 9163
» Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:47 pm
Well, Marcus is in a crowded back court. He doesn't get any playing time. And he was "supposedly" going to be our starter ahead of Watson with Monta out, but he was beat out by an undrafted rookie and an injured Watson playing in a cast.

I think the blame falls on Marcus for this one. I just really believe there's a reason why he dropped to 22nd in the draft. Because he's not that good. Decent player, who when he hits his prime, he'll be a solid role player, but other than that... he won't be anything more.

He didn't cost us anything, so I'm not complaining if he leaves.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 6107
» Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:54 pm
xbay wrote:He didn't cost us anything, so I'm not complaining if he leaves.


well, except for a 1st round pick!
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1396
» Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:56 pm
bada wrote:
xbay wrote:He didn't cost us anything, so I'm not complaining if he leaves.


well, except for a 1st round pick!


is that this years 1st round pick?
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 6107
» Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:02 pm
KillBill wrote:
bada wrote:
xbay wrote:He didn't cost us anything, so I'm not complaining if he leaves.


well, except for a 1st round pick!


is that this years 1st round pick?


No, it is a protected 1st round pick in 2011. Not sure how low or high the protection is
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 6107
» Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:05 pm
ok so I found it... here is how it breaks down

2011:Lottery protected
2012: 1-11 protected
2013: 1-10 protected

if we still have not had to forfiet the pick to them, then we trade two 2nd round picks.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:06 pm
bada wrote:
KillBill wrote:
bada wrote:
xbay wrote:He didn't cost us anything, so I'm not complaining if he leaves.


well, except for a 1st round pick!


is that this years 1st round pick?


No, it is a protected 1st round pick in 2011. Not sure how low or high the protection is


It's lottery protected for 2011, top 11 protected for 2012 and top 10 protected for 2013. If the Nets still don't get that pick, it becomes two second rounders, in 2013 and 2015.


Or something like that. That's what I remember, at least. :wink:
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:07 pm
bada wrote:ok so I found it... here is how it breaks down

2011:Lottery protected
2012: 1-11 protected
2013: 1-10 protected

if we still have not had to forfiet the pick to them, then we trade two 2nd round picks.


Damn, beat me to it, bada. Although I didn't have to look for it. Go me!!!. 8)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests