Warriors investigating Ellis' explanation of injury

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

» Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:50 am
Captain_Jack wrote:So first of all, the Warriors are denying sending anyone to check on Ellis. So this whole thread may be useless and misinformed.

And secondly I would 100% agree with the motorcycle accident theory because his injury is consistent with that kind of crash. We shall see though, if it doesn't specifically say in his contract that he can't ride a motorcycle (which it probably doesn't) then it's pretty irrelevant anyway.

Why wouldnt it say he cant ride a motorcycle, in almost ALL professional sports contracts, there are specifics in Motorcycles, snowmobiles, skiiing, etc. NO owner wants another Jay Williams. I almost guarentee Monta's contract has a motorcycle clause in it, the warriors or any team would be stupid not to for their expensive players.

But ur right on in the first half Capt. The Contra Costa Times might be real wrong in their investigation, which the warriors organization says they are, and they [the times] might have to do some explaining.

All Star
» Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:16 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:So first of all, the Warriors are denying sending anyone to check on Ellis. So this whole thread may be useless and misinformed.

From Marcus Thompson:
"Just got off the phone with the Warriors (name another reporter who will call the team on a Sunday so your blog questions can be answered?). Here’s the deal. The Warriors did confirm to the Chronicle that Tom Abdenour is in Johannesburg. But, as I suggested earlier, that does not exclude my story.
The team official said Abdenour DID GO to see Monta after his injury. The team’s official word is that he went to help Ellis get prepared for surgery, which the official said is routine procedure.
The Warriors, per team policy, still aren’t commenting on the situation. The team official would not confirm or deny whether there was an investigation, or if Abdenour was checking out Ellis while down there as part of an investigation."

All Star
» Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:58 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

And secondly I would 100% agree with the motorcycle accident theory because his injury is consistent with that kind of crash. We shall see though, if it doesn't specifically say in his contract that he can't ride a motorcycle (which it probably doesn't) then it's pretty irrelevant anyway.

Why wouldnt it say he cant ride a motorcycle, in almost ALL professional sports contracts, there are specifics in Motorcycles, snowmobiles, skiiing, etc. NO owner wants another Jay Williams. I almost guarentee Monta's contract has a motorcycle clause in it, the warriors or any team would be stupid not to for their expensive players.

But ur right on in the first half Capt. The Contra Costa Times might be real wrong in their investigation, which the warriors organization says they are, and they [the times] might have to do some explaining.

I stand corrected on the motorcycle thing, Marcus Thompson said that all NBA contracts include a motorcycle clause. I was basing it off the NFL which does not have that kind of restriction (remember Ben Roethlisburger and the whole riding without a helmet thing? There was nothing in his contract to stop him from doing that so I assumed the NBA didn't either, which I guess was wrong).

I see what aletha posted above, and I'm just going by what the team was saying, they were denying sending someone out there to investigate and they still are. Just 'cause they sent someone out there to help prep him for surgery doesn't mean they're out there investigating.

Franchise Player
» Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:02 pm
Heres a new article summing up the situation and answering a couple of questions asked in this thread..............

http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/ ... source=rss

Warriors can turn Ellis' bad luck into marketing gold

Necessity is the mother of marketing masterstrokes.

The Warriors have proven this in recent years with their ground-breaking campaigns A Good Time Out, Grand Theft Lottery and Guess Which Former Portland Coach We Just Hired.

They are topping themselves as we speak. Behold CSI: GSW.

As first reported in the publication you now hold in your hands, the team believes guard Monta Ellis has been less than forthcoming regarding his recent ankle injury. Ellis, who tore a ligament and suffered a high ankle sprain, had surgery last Thursday. If all goes well, he could be playing again by the end of the calendar year.

Ellis told the Warriors he was hurt during a basketball-related activity. The severity of the injury leads the Warriors to believe otherwise. They have reportedly sent a team of forensic experts to Ellis' native Mississippi to investigate.

It's a real gripper, all right. According to the terms of the six-year, $66 million contract Ellis signed in July, he is forbidden to engage in certain risky endeavors — riding motorcycles, for example. Or washing Jeff Kent's pickup truck.

If it is determined Ellis was in violation of his contract when he was injured, well, that's getting a little ahead of our story. But you can see the value of this drama as a marketing tool. No one's happy that Ellis is hurt. On the other hand, it's been almost a week since someone pointed out that Baron Davis is no longer with the team.

So there's bonafide entertainment here. But that's all this story has going for it. Sure, the Warriors could prove Ellis was doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing — wrestling alligators, trimming his toenails with a chainsaw, participating in Biloxi's annual running of the crawdads.

But that discovery will have to be its own reward. Because the next question is: What are the Warriors prepared to do about it?

And the answer is: Anything more than the Ward Cleaver "I'm very disappointed in you" speech would be a mistake.

These things happen. And they happen here. In the spring of 1982, shortly after the 49ers' first Super Bowl victory parade, guard Randy Cross was navigating an obstacle course during a charity event when he fell and broke his left leg.

A's third baseman Carney Lansford missed almost the entire 1991 season after a snowmobile accident. Sharks goalie Arturs Irbe missed the start of the 1994-95 NHL season after being mauled by his dog, Rambo.

Kent, of course, is a case unto himself. The Giants second baseman showed up with a broken wrist one day during spring training in 2002, claiming to have sustained the injury while washing his truck. Evidence uncovered after the fact suggested he hurt himself while popping wheelies on his motorcycle.

None of the above was officially sanctioned, suspended or charged with breach of contract. All enjoyed successful comebacks. The Warriors would be wise to let this history be their guide, even should their CSI turn up damning evidence against Ellis. For one thing, this would be a first offense, as far as anyone knows. In contrast to the high maintenance Davis, Ellis has been a straight arrow during his time with the Warriors.

For another, the NBA is a players league, and the Warriors have, by decree and by contract, anointed Ellis their employee of the month, every month, for at least the next six years. Any attempt to charge him with breach of contract or seek monetary retribution would risk alienating their most important asset.

We've seen disaffection on the part of Warriors employees before. It rarely ends well.

Any way you look at it, this is grin-and-bear-it time for the team. It lost Davis on a calculated gamble. Now it has lost his heir apparent, perhaps for no apparent reason.

Knowing them, they'll turn it into marketing gold. We Bereave sounds about right.

All Star
» Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:57 pm
haha a marketing ploy...

Golden State, where man-child happens!

Youngsters..... come out to plaaaaayay!

Where Marcus Williams has the season of his life happens!

Starting Lineup
» Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:39 pm
Monta signs the contract of his life and probably foolishly injures himself. If they knew he would speedily recover , they are probably best off just letting it go , but even then not until they instill the fear of God in that illiterate little sh-t! He doesn't even know much about basketbasll except for scoring.
I fear this money could be the end of his stellar work ethic. I saw Monta as a race horse A good kid keeping his head down and rapidly developing as an NBA scorer, advancing in his carreer, keeping on the straight and narrow while looking neither to his right or left. and determined not to make his big brother's mistakes.
Despite the scorn for Baron expressed by a number of people on this board. Without BD, we have a serious chemistry problem. He was ideally suited to lead the Warriors. Having said that, the Clippers were insane to sign him for 5 years and then losing Brand. That's a move they'll regret for a long time.
Does anyone really think Monta will add to the synergy of this team now that he's the #1 player? The only thing that will add to the W's synergy will be an established leader that we hopefully will acquire in the next few years. Then Monta can perhaps be the #1 scorer but #2 player. That and the development of the young talent we've acquired in the last 2 years. But honestly I see some real talent but not much leadership there.

All Star
» Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:00 pm
you can be the best player on a team and still not be the leader. look at gilbert and antawn over in washington. i think everyone can agree that gilbert is the better player, but antawn is the leader. i don't think anyone was expecting monta to be a vocal leader, that's why i think stephen is now one of the more important pieces we need now that baron is gone.

Starting Lineup
» Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:23 pm
We Bereave is right.

Starting Lineup
» Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:09 pm
If Monta is our best all around player, we certainly will never win a championship.

"look at gilbert and antawn over in washington. i think everyone can agree that gilbert is the better player, but antawn is the leader. "

That's because gilbert's a little off the wall. Antawn can be the leader.I don't see much synergy there, but there probably would be more if Gilbert left. But either way they aren't heading toward a championship.

But I agree with you, Jackson, our #3 player is the closest thing we have to a leader, or maybe just continuity. We should bend a little to his concerns or just bite the bullet and get rid of him and Harrington. When the season starts, I wonder if Sjax and Maggs will get along.
I've heard Monta being coined as the leader mostly by local sports columnists. If they really meant point leader, they should say so. I think putting that responsibility on Monta (in addition to the load he would be taking on at point guard ) , is not wise.

All Star
» Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:14 pm
i dont see why not... i have faith in em...

All Star
» Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:11 am

As far as I've heard it explicitly says so in every single NBA contract.

All Star
» Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:52 am
War Years wrote:If Monta is our best all around player, we certainly will never win a championship.

"look at gilbert and antawn over in washington. i think everyone can agree that gilbert is the better player, but antawn is the leader. "

That's because gilbert's a little off the wall. Antawn can be the leader.I don't see much synergy there, but there probably would be more if Gilbert left. But either way they aren't heading toward a championship.

But I agree with you, Jackson, our #3 player is the closest thing we have to a leader, or maybe just continuity. We should bend a little to his concerns or just bite the bullet and get rid of him and Harrington. When the season starts, I wonder if Sjax and Maggs will get along.
I've heard Monta being coined as the leader mostly by local sports columnists. If they really meant point leader, they should say so. I think putting that responsibility on Monta (in addition to the load he would be taking on at point guard ) , is not wise.

I don't agree that Antawn is the leader. He has never been a leadert his whole life. If you ever watched a game that the Wizards play, gilbert calls all the plays and allthe shots. Antawn is a role player that picks up garbage points. As anyone from that area who the of that team is and they will say Gilbert Arenas.

All Star
» Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:04 am
The Coooach wrote:
War Years wrote:If Monta is our best all around player, we certainly will never win a championship.

I don't agree that Antawn is the leader. He has never been a leadert his whole life. If you ever watched a game that the Wizards play, gilbert calls all the plays and allthe shots. Antawn is a role player that picks up garbage points. As anyone from that area who the of that team is and they will say Gilbert Arenas.

ive read that gilbert said that antawn was the leader of the team.

All Star
» Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:12 am
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3041213

towards the very end... he does have another year on his belt... but i uno

All Star
» Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:00 am
"I've got to prove myself coming back from this injury. I've got to prove myself that I'm an MVP candidate in this league and I'm one of the best point guards in this league," Arenas said Friday.

Proof of why this fool doesn't get it and never will...and why I hate this dude's selfish game...

"If I have to go out there and score 70 or 80, it's going to happen..."

Uh, because yes, scoring 70 to 80 is the mark of a true point guard...

:roll: