REPORT: Biedrins re-signed

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Franchise Player
» Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:51 pm
From ESPN.

The Golden State Warriors have moved quickly to prevent Latvian center Andris Biedrins from seriously entertaining interest from deep-pocketed teams in Europe by reaching terms on a lucrative new contract with the restricted free agent.

Biedrins

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that Biedrins was en route to Oakland on Sunday night after agreeing to a new six-year contract with the Warriors worth nearly $63 million. The contract, sources said, will likely be signed Monday and include a player option for Biedrins to return to the free-agent market in the summer of 2013 after completing five seasons.

Biedrins is among a growing crop of NBA veterans -- not all European, as evidence by Josh Childress' decision to leave the Atlanta Hawks for a team in Greece -- to attract big-money offers from clubs overseas.

The Warriors, though, made it clear entering one of the most frenetic offseasons in the club's history that re-signing its young restricted free agents -- Biedrins and guard Monta Ellis -- was management's top priority. Retaining Ellis and Biedrins, sources say, was Golden State's first consideration in every move it has and hasn't made since late June, when the Warriors elected not to use a $9.9 trade exception created by the deal that sent Jason Richardson to the Charlotte Bobcats on draft day in 2007.

Ellis was signed to a six-year deal worth $67 million on Thursday as part of Golden State's flurry of moves since July, when point guard Baron Davis committed to signing with his hometown Los Angeles Clippers.

The Warriors' flurry of transactions also includes signing forward Corey Maggette away from the Clippers on a five-year deal worth $50 million, matching the Clippers' three-year offer sheet worth in excess of $9 million to swingman Kelenna Azubuike, signing restricted free agent Ronny Turiaf away from the Los Angeles Lakers to a four-year deal worth $17 million and acquiring New Jersey Nets point guard Marcus Williams via trade.

Biedrins has made steady progress since the Warriors selected him as a teenager with the 11th overall pick in the 2004 draft. He averaged 10.5 points and 9.8 rebounds last season in just 27.23 minutes per game, leading the league in field-goal percentage (.626) and improving his biggest weakness -- free-throw shooting -- from 52.1 percent in 2006-07 to 62 percent last season.

All Star
» Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:55 pm
yes!!!! that's what ive been waiting for, for the past 3 days since hearing monta was re-signed.

» Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:55 pm
YES!

Franchise Player
» Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:57 pm
Good stuff, sounds like a done deal..........abit more than I expected for some reason but it makes sense.

Now we need this Smith deal to be true............then I will be one illegal alien season ticket holding bastard! :mrgreen:

Starting Lineup
» Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:57 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:YES!

ditto!

Now... i shall wait for similar threads to appear :agrue: :agrue:

All Star
» Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:58 pm
bigstrads wrote:Good stuff, sounds like a done deal..........abit more than I expected for some reason but it makes sense.

Now we need this Smith deal to be true............then I will be one illegal alien season ticket holding bastard! :mrgreen:

yeah...if that smith deal goes thru, i will say "F*CK VEGAS!!! IM GETTING SEASON TICKETS!"

» Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:00 pm
E-Man wrote:
bigstrads wrote:Good stuff, sounds like a done deal..........abit more than I expected for some reason but it makes sense.

yeah...if that smith deal goes thru, i will say "F*CK VEGAS!!! IM GETTING SEASON TICKETS!"

haha i was thinking the exact same thing E-man... except im cheap, so it would be like a six pack of tickets and not the whole deal... but same idea right.!

Role Player
» Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:03 pm

you actually fly from england to oakland? just wondering bigs.

Franchise Player
» Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:05 pm
mista240sx wrote:

I have done 5 times dude..........thats dedication huh? have a look at my sig :wink:

» Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:10 pm
bigstrads wrote:
mista240sx wrote:

I have done 5 times dude..........thats dedication huh? have a look at my sig :wink:

hey bigs, u might of explain this in the past, but how did u get interested in warriors while u live in the "no dental hygeine" Land we fat colonists call England?

Role Player
» Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:14 pm
bigstrads wrote:
mista240sx wrote:

i give you props for that man.... i live in fresno like 4 hours away and diddn't make a game last season.... i know i know i will go next season for especially with the more exiting line up this year.

All Star
» Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:14 pm
just heard the good news on ESPN

what a relief

Role Player
» Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:15 pm
the kid is gettin paid! but im happy that he aint leavin no more. itd be disaster if he left since hes the best center that can perfectly fit this team.

All Star
» Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:16 pm
what i really like is how the warrios gave their word to beans last year and now they have followed thru

All Star
» Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:18 pm
so...does he start off getting paid at the qualifying offer for this year? or does his new contract take effect immediately? could be a difference of 1-3 million dollars...