Roster Looks Complete, So What Are Your Expectations??

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:14 pm
This year's team is deeper; however, it is weaker at point guard.

Without Baron, no-one on the team has demonstrated the ability to control tempo nor distribute the ball.

It is silly for the board to criticize Baron for leaving; he got a long term deal with his hometown team. My criticism is of Mullin for letting the situation occur where Baron left for nothing; that is poor front office management.

Watch for Stephen Jackson to step up and become the floor leader. While he has been tremendous over the past two seasons, I look for Jackson to really break out this season. He plays tenacious defense, has a nice stroke from the outside, and can drive into the paint and distribute to the open man.

Nelson had won in the past with Winston Garland at point guard; so, it would reason that Ellis can play the position, too.

While many on this board criticize Harrington, if givent the chance to actually play the low block game, he is quick enough to get around opposing power forward/centers.

I still see Randolph as a guy who should shine in a Nelson system playing center (point center?). I really cannot see any other center, besides perhaps Gasol and Dirk (guys who play both the 4 and 5 positions) possibly having any chance of slowing the kid down. Imagine Shaq having to come out to the wing or the arc having to guard the kid or even imagine Shaq attempting to run the floor with the kid.

Let's hope that the roster stays healthy and that Brandon Wright continues to develop.

Starting Lineup
» Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:01 pm
How did we make the playoffs last year? Last time I checked we had another fricking lottery pick thanks to the entire team, Nellie and this nice little PG called BD. The year we made the playoffs we had a 42-40 record ... that's just awesome basketball, yes Baron was on the team and spent a lot of critical games sitting out because of injury. Because BD is such a great PG, I guess Warriors fans should buy Clipper playoff tickets ASAP. Last time I checked, Biedrins, AL, Mags, Jack and Ellis were fairly athletic and I am counting on our overall depth (Williams, Turiaf, Randolph, Wright) rather than BD and his last second three point jumpers. Boy will I miss his 58% FG bricks and 67% trei bricks, those totally helped us make the playoffs last year.

Rookie
» Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:51 pm
I think that this team will still be able to put up some big numbers without Baron. . . . assuming Randolph is as good as he is being made out to be, more points should come from in the paint which will help raise the FG%. Also looking forward to BWright's "quiet" 20pt. 10reb. nights.

I think the biggest question will come on the defensive end. Does Maggette play D? Can Monte slow down the best PGs in the league, or does someone else take that job? BWright, Randolph and Andris can score, but can they clog up the middle?

The Warriors got a lot of credit for their offense, but when they went on winning streaks, they also had their D on lock down. Improvement there could help a lot in getting to the playoffs.

I think it will also be interesting to see where the minutes go. Monte, Jackson, Maggette and Azu in the backcourt. . . . seems crowded.

Randolph, Wright, Biedrins and Turiaf in the frontcourt also could be tough to get everyone PT. I think Turiaf matches up better with the Boozers of the world, but then who comes out . . . and at what cost.

Should be interesting.

Just a thought . . .

Monte=Parker
Jackson=Bowen
Maggette=Ginobili
Randolph=Horry/Duncan
Biedrins= Not Duncan, but a better true center than the Spurs have.

Assuming these guys all step up to what we think they can do, ex. Can Monte take over the point . . . . can Jackson/Azu lock down on D . . . Is Randolph really the new Magic . . . our team reminds me a lot of a younger version of the Spurs.

All Star
» Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:54 pm
I expect us to win 82 games and sweep every team in the playoffs. Undefeated in 08-09.

» Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:56 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:I expect us to win 82 games and sweep every team in the playoffs. Undefeated in 08-09.

and biedrens to shoot 100% in the free throw!!!!

All Star
» Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:56 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:I expect us to win 82 games and sweep every team in the playoffs. Undefeated in 08-09.

Word.

Franchise Player
» Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:05 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

And Monta winning MVP, All-Star Game MVP, and making All-NBA First Team. With Biedrins winning DPOY. Azubuike winning 6th man. Randolph wins ROY and makes All-NBA Rookie First Team. Nelson wins COY. Williams wins MIP. Harrington wins the 3-point Challenge and leads the league in 3-point FG percentage.

Rookie
» Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:32 pm
Can't forget Mullin as GMOY.

And then of course, NBA Champs.

» Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:05 pm
xbay wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

And Monta winning MVP, All-Star Game MVP, and making All-NBA First Team. With Biedrins winning DPOY. Azubuike winning 6th man. Randolph wins ROY and makes All-NBA Rookie First Team. Nelson wins COY. Williams wins MIP. Harrington wins the 3-point Challenge and leads the league in 3-point FG percentage.

u really analyzed this through XBAY... every statement seems accurate though :mrgreen:

All Star
» Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:20 pm
carlgo wrote:Wait til the trades are for sure done, per coltraning. Probably not.

This player, or another, it is all important. The real X-factor is Nelson. Will he actually coach this year, or will he waste the talent by playing Nellie mind games? Will he try to run and gun 82 games using 7 players? Will he put the best combinations out there?

Right now it seems that there is more overall talent than last year. More rational coaching would have landed the Ws into the playoffs last year. No excuse this year for not making it, barring key injuries of course.

Time to focus on the coaching.

I agree with this, at the risk of drawing David out of his south Texas lair...Nelson made the choice to go with a 7 man line-up despite very promising work from Azu and Wright, both of them suffering DNPs at times for no apparent reason. This is a stronger and deeper team, overall, and I think it is less selfish at the point. I'd say the intrade odds of another trade are 53-47 in favor...

All Star
» Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:41 pm
I see monta as tony parker during his first years in the NBA... not really in control of the game or the team, moments of brilliance but a far cry from an all-star, basically - unable to balance scoring and assisting.

Best scenario:
-This RUMORED josh smith trade goes down
-Everyone plays well together (Maggs, jax, Monta)
-The rook's (Wright, Randolph, Azu, Turiaf) step up and make a solid second squad
I predict:
second place in the Pacific division
but this is highly unlikely

overall look at the western conf.
Still WAY better than us:
Lakers
Utah
San Antonio
New Orleans
-----
WARRIORS IF WE PLAY WELL TOGETHER ARE HERE
-----
Teams we can compete with:
Suns (nash can still play but their teams getting old. new coach too)
Trail Blazers (up and coming like us but still nothing proven/ injuries)
Houston (no win streak this year)
-----
WARRIORS IF WE GET OFF TO AN OK START AND GET BETTER TOWARDS THE END
-----
Key teams we're "on paper" better than:

Dallas (getting to old)
Denver (no camby no D)
Sac-town
----
WARRIORS IF WE DON"T PLAY WELL / ROOKIES FLOP / 5 PLAYERS (NOT 1 TEAM) BASKETBALL WHOLE SEASON
----
All the other teams in the west that are crappy:
Minny
Seattlahoma
Clippers
Memphis

like ppl have said it's really iffy... can't wait

All Star
» Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:45 pm
xbay wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Good call xbay! The Warriors will just make up the entire All-Star squad too...both conferences, we'll be THAT good.

Rookie
» Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:15 pm
I'll be happy as long as we win more games than the Clippers.

Franchise Player
» Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:54 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
xbay wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

Good call xbay! The Warriors will just make up the entire All-Star squad too...both conferences, we'll be THAT good.

That's right. We'll sweep at all the all-star game events. We're going to be freaking legendary. And you thought Michael Jordan and his Bulls were one of most dominant? Or the Celtics and Lakers dynasty? Psh, they ain't got nothin' on us, my friend.

All Star
» Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:03 pm
xbay wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:
xbay wrote:
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

That's right. We'll sweep at all the all-star game events. We're going to be freaking legendary. And you thought Michael Jordan and his Bulls were one of most dominant? Or the Celtics and Lakers dynasty? Psh, they ain't got nothin' on us, my friend.

Word!