Roster Looks Complete, So What Are Your Expectations??

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Rookie
» Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:08 am
The roster looks to be close to complete and I have to say that I really don't know what to expect. I really like the youth that we have, there is tremedous upside on this team. With that said I think it is difficult to say exactly how many wins this team could have next year. There are so many questions that you can ask, which could be a 10 game +/- win swing. So with that said I think I'm going to say 41 wins is my expectation, with a +/- 10. Here is what needs to happen for the +10 to occur.

Monta needs to develop into the superstar that we all think he is -I personally think he can do it. There were so many games in which Monta should have been the guy taking the last shot last year when he was on fire the whole game, but didn't because it was Baron's team. I am so exicted that Baron is gone because it is Monta's turn to shine now.

Maggs should help when the offense gets stagnant- There were so many times last year when the team would become "too 3 happy", and it seemed that we would go through a span of not scoring for 5-7 minutes. That will not happen anymore with a guy like Maggs on the team. He can lower is head and get to the line like no one else, and unlike Baron will actually make his free throws.

Nelly Utilizing the new Depth- I am so excited about guys like Wright, Turiaf, Randolph (hopefully), Evans, Williams all being on this team. They are guys that I think Nelly can trust, something that he didn't have in Barnes, Pietrus, and O'Bryant (let's be honest, did any of us trust them). Now we will have the 2nd unit that the really good teams have.

S-Jax Staying Focused Without Baron- This is quite possibly the one I am most worried about. Will Stephen still be happy and still perform. Al and him are really our only consistent 3 point shooters and percentage wise they aren't great. but we'll need them to perform in order to be successful and make a run at the playoffs.

I think the best we can hope for is possibly sneaking into the playoffs as an 8 seed. I am completely ok with that. With Baron we would have been doing the same thing without the bright future that we have now. With Baron gone we still have an exciting team that can compete, you can still expect an entertaining game everytime you go out to the Oracle.

Franchise Player
» Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:14 am
There is a lot of youth, inexperience, and new pieces to deal with. Basketball is such a game cohesion and it will take some time.

Hard to say my exact expectations on a win total but around .500 is probably about right. Anywhere from about 38-42 wins. Guys step up and we come together better than expected, then I think 46-48 is possible but doubtful.

Rookie
» Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:29 am
i expect us to be the trailblazers of 08-09, with possibly a better record by a few games due to a little bit of veteran-ness in uh oh maggette-o's and sjax. I think those two will sneak out a few wins for us. my prediction-43 wins

» Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:06 am
gogogadget wrote:i expect us to be the trailblazers of 08-09, with possibly a better record by a few games due to a little bit of veteran-ness in uh oh maggette-o's and sjax. I think those two will sneak out a few wins for us. my prediction-43 wins

yeah i agree completely. I think the 7th or 8th seed is definately possible!

All Star
» Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:25 am
I seriously doubt denver and dallas will make the playoffs meaning I think we have a chance at the 7 or 8 seed. I see us sneaking into the playoffs along just under Portland. But I dont think the offseason moves r done yet

Franchise Player
» Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:32 am
Nice post tvaldi, exactly how I feel about the situation............although Id rather have Azu than Evans.

Bada is spot on in terms of cohesion being so key............I mean this roster is very different, both from personel and style standpoints...........so it may take time for it all to fit together and make sense.

Lets just hope for a real productive pre-season, get off to a decent start and then later on in the year, kick into gear once everyone is on the same page.

The only bad thing for me, is that we will spend all this time fitting it all together and building a system that utilises all our great young players and vets..............then come the end of the year weve got to find a new coach.

But after my initial thoughts on the state of play (being quite bad)...........Im really warming to this squad, and not just its potential but its ability to put together a real run at the playoffs...........AND BUILD ON THAT!!! no more of this getting somewhere then letting it slide away.

Starting Lineup
» Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:15 pm
I like the optimism here. I would have to agree that we could squeak into the playoffs. It will be for the most part a whole different team this year, and I cant wait to see who will step up. Nelly has a tendency of bringing guys potential out, ie Matt Barnes 2 seasons ago. Im down with the Mo Evs signing just for the fact that he brings some veteran experience, I love Bukie and probably would have rather kept him instead but Evs is a perfect replacement for his spot. I cant wait!

Rookie
» Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:21 pm
tvaldivi wrote:
I think the best we can hope for is possibly sneaking into the playoffs as an 8 seed. I am completely ok with that. With Baron we would have been doing the same thing without the bright future that we have now. With Baron gone we still have an exciting team that can compete, you can still expect an entertaining game everytime you go out to the Oracle.

that was very well said

Rookie
» Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:34 pm
gogogadget wrote:
tvaldivi wrote:

that was very well said

True that. I see the same, only thing is that we SMASH on the Clips and on the Nuggets. I just hate those two teams. All i know is that I am looking forward to Monta vs. BD. Also cant forget what Camby said about his prior team the Nugs. That's gonna be some fun games to watch too.

Really though, watch for Randolf and Wright early on during the season. These two have a lot to prove and they will take advantage of every chance they get.

Warriors are hungry!!!

All Star
» Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:01 pm
bigs hit it right on the head. The fact of the matter is that this team is so much different from last season. I'm not sure if anyone knows what warriors basketball is going to look like anymore. I think I read in a ESPN article that nelson might try to go faster :shock: . I was looking for the article yesterday, but i couldnt find it.

And i think the only way we get to the playoffs is if someone steps up from the bench. I think we all can assume, or atleast i will, that Monta, Stephen, and Corey will get theirs easy. But someone else has to rise to the occasion.

Al could step up by being consistent. Knockin down those 3's with a better fg percentage.
Andris should get his rebound numbers up and try to be a low post threat for us.
Both Marco and Brandan has to provide some spark off the bench. Marco should be able to come of the bench and give us some quick points. We all saw what Brandan could do last year, and that run the floor, get some blocks, score inside the paint.

I think all these things are crucial if we want to make the playoffs.

Franchise Player
» Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:21 pm
To be honest... I think we have one of the deepest benches in the entire league. How many teams can say they have a deep rotation of Randolph, Wright, Belinelli, Turiaf, and Williams? Not to mention they have Hendrix and Evans to fill up the rest of the roster.

Then, put that with a starting five of Monta, Jackson, Maggette, Harrington, and Biedrins and basically, you have a team that you can't take for granite. People doubt us so much just because we lost Baron, Azubuike, Pietrus. So what? The team right has far better potential than the ones we've had in the past to get farther in the playoffs, whether it be now or in a few years once guys like Randolph and Wright develop into studs.

This team is set for this year... and many years to come. Well done, Mullin.

All Star
» Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:21 pm
I will not be satisfied with just making the playoffs as the 8th seed. have we been down so long that we are satisfied as being just the 8th seed? i want a team that can contend for the championship. One fo the Warriors problems have been that they are willing to settle for just making the playoffs. Fans, coachs, and players should alwauys think championship. The great teams do. Making the playoffs is not a big deal folks. Half the teams in lthe league do that.

The only way for this team to improve is by playing their young players right away. Don Nelson said he doesn't trust them. Technically Branden Wright is still a rookie. Who gives a damn if you are a rookie but you are better than the vet in front of you? For this team to succeed, Branden Wright has to start. I probably would start Randolph in front of Jackson, along with Biedrins, Magette and Monta. Can you imagine a frontline of Wright, Biedrins, and Randolph? Wow! What height, what athleticism. Ehat shot blocking. I think Stephen Jackson best role would be coming off the bench and playing with the 2nd team. I know you guys all remember his clutch 3-point shooting, but have you forgotten all the tunovers he commit that help make clutch shooting necessary in the first place?

There is an old saying about "reaching for the stars" (championship) and you will prbably make it to the moon (playoffs) If goal is just the playoffs then your aim is to low.

Starting Lineup
» Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:27 pm
Expectations huh? Well to tell you the truth I don't know what to expect from these guys and that makes for an exciting season! We all know the West is stacked and this season I think we have a 50/50 chance for the playoffs, but next season I can almost guarantee it! Someone compared us to Portland and I can say we are pretty close to that if not a little better.

We have a lot of good pieces here and a lot of potential. This upcoming season will be a growth period; growth for our young players, growth for Monta as a PG (although I don't agree with it), and growth for life without Nellie for the 2009-10 season. Mullin is really filling all of our gaps and we have a very deep and excellent bench. Mullin is already ready for post-Nellie. This team will transition well for our future coach.

We are very young, and of course you all knew that. To say that all of our veterans are under 30 years old (Jackson, Harrington, Maggette) is great. After this off-season bananza the Warriors have been having I can say that I am satisfied with what we're doing here. We have a very promising team and many pieces to work with.

Our bench is now Marcus, Wright, Randolph, Beli, Turiaf, Watson, Hendrix, and Evans. That's a great bench! This is way better than our Barnes, Azu, Pietrus bench trio with sprinkles of Crosh, Watson, and Wright.

I don't know about all of you, but I'm really excited with this new team. We are totally different from last season and I really think it's going to work.

I am really interested in seeing if this kid Marcus Williams will turn into a great point guard. I'd prefer Monta starting at the 2 and Marcus at the 1, but then that leaves trouble with Jacks and Maggs, so I don't know. We all know Nellie loves to mix it up and mix it up he will especially if we have this much depth.

Franchise Player
» Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:30 pm
From day 1, I have been as big of Randolph supporter as there is on this board but I dont think he is ready coooach. At least not a major minutes type starter. I dont see him getting much more than 15 min/game on a consistent basis.

UNLESS, you are more focused on developing for the future which I could totally understand.

But if you are saying the need to do more than be the 8th seed, starting Wright AND Randolph is not going to get us there. At times they will look fantastic, but at other times their inexperience will hurt us... which I am totally fine with and would love to see them play major minutes... but my expectations are certainly not a championship or probably not even a playoff birth.

Starting Lineup
» Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:57 pm
This is most likely Nellie's last season coaching, so he is not going to develop young players. By adding vets, instead of keeping our system guys (Barnes, POB, Azu) tells me Mullin is making another understated playoff push. I know Nellie thinks rookies suck defensively, but is there any drop off from Mags to Randolph defensively. If the Suns can make the playoffs consistently with just pushing the tempo, we should be around .500 because the Eastern Conference is still weak. If Nellie wants to screw with Shaq, he can run out Wright, Randolph, Mags and just run Shaq off the court likewise with lumbering Ogden. Will Dirk be able to out-tough Turiaf, Biedrins, Mags and Wright the way he did to Barnes and Pietrus? There are too many pieces with other teams (Portland and Ogden, Dallas and JK, the Shaq experiment (the final phase) in Phoenix, the even worse defensive team than our really bad DunMurphy team in Denver because of the Camby luxury tax giveaway to say if we will make the playoffs but I expect 44-46 wins and a solid 8th seed push for the final two weeks.