Barnes headed to the desert?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Starting Lineup
» Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:37 pm
Barnes headed to the desert?
Rusty Simmons, Chronicle Staff Writer

Sunday, July 20, 2008

(07-20) 20:07 PDT -- Matt Barnes appears to be closing in a contract with the Phoenix Suns, a source close to the Warriors' free-agent forward told The Chronicle on Sunday. The Warriors have shown no interest in re-signing Barnes, who was instrumental in their 2007 playoff upset of Dallas and averaged 6.7 points and 4.4 rebounds a game in 19.4 minutes.

All Star
» Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:54 am
gah.... cant we just keep him for his inbound plays and half court passes?

Rookie
» Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:01 am
Seriously, the niners should've just hired him to play 2nd string QB.

Starting Lineup
» Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:12 am
With Mags and Randolph playing his pos. he was bound to go. I just hope the same isnt so for Buke.

All Star
» Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:40 am
He signed with the Suns today...sigh.

Guess I'll be watching some Phoenix games this year...I bet Matt looks good in purple.

Franchise Player
» Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:58 am
most of you know I am not the biggest Matt Barnes fan but I thank him for his service to the Warriors as he was a good teammate and worked hard. Wish him the best with the Suns.

Role Player
» Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:15 pm
Happy to see Matt Barnes gone... can't believe how different the team will be this coming season...

But for me, I'm glad to see major change and IMO, its in the right direction. Bigger bodies and more length. Also, can't wait to see our young guys play... specifically Marco, Brandan, Randolph & Hendrix.

Rookie
» Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:26 pm
i am glad the warriors didnt try and keep barnes, it would have made no sense at all to sign the guy... BUT with that said... i wish him the best of luck and hope he flourishes with the suns

All Star
» Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:53 pm
This makes sense for Barnes. He was definatley going to loose minutes this year, and PHX was literally the only other option for him to play...I can't really see him fitting anywhere else.

Starting Lineup
» Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:49 pm
Im sad to see matt go, he is definitely a crowd favorite as one of the true underdoggs in this league...how much did he get and for how long is the contract?

All Star
» Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:08 pm
He should excel in Phoenix where he will not be called upon to play power forward. Same with Pietrus in Orlando.

Starting Lineup
» Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:15 pm
nickdakoolkat wrote:Im sad to see matt go, he is definitely a crowd favorite as one of the true underdoggs in this league...how much did he get and for how long is the contract?

1 yr for 1.2 million

Franchise Player
» Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:29 pm
Wish Matt the best. He had a tough run this previous year after his mother's death. Have fun in the sun.

All Star
» Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:40 pm
sleandres wrote:This makes sense for Barnes. He was definatley going to loose minutes this year, and PHX was literally the only other option for him to play...I can't really see him fitting anywhere else.

it does make sense. i guess that means phoenix wont be signing darius miles anymore? what would you guys think of signing miles? IMO he could still be good, would look better in an uptempo system, and comes cheap as he can only get the minimum.

All Star
» Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:46 pm
He was quoted saying that Warriors fans might just be the best in all pro sports

Wish him all the best