Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:04 pm
updated to account for Al Harrington/Jamal Crawford trade

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:54 pm
Thanks for posting this a while back, Bada,
In the offsesason after we lost Baron , Mully aggresively pursued Elton Brand, with a 90 million dollar, what? 6 year contract? Next year we were on the hook with Baron for 17 million, so the 15 million a year offer for EB,( assuming an average 6 years at 90 = 15 a year, ) was doable. But didn't I understand that free agent signings count differently against the cap then trading players? If so how?
I have a probably unrealistic wish list. But proposing a trade may enlighten me a little more about trade and salary restrictions.
Say, we have a vain hope of signing Carlos Boozer, an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year. Since it's obvious that there will be quite a bidding war, at the end of the year. I assume our only strategy would be to trade for him before his contract expires?
Since Utah has a a number of unrestricted free agents, it is fair to assume they might be comfortable with rebuilding at the end of the year and at least can be sure of getting some value for him between now and the end of the year if they trade him.
If that were to happen, As I understand it , at the end of this year, we could then a)match any offer of any other team? or B) we could sign a new contract with him before the end of the season and retain him? C)Could we stipulate a trade under the condition of negotiating a new contract with him, or are we prohibited in negotiating with him while he is under contract? Could the Jazz waive the restriction in order to make the deal? Thanks for any info you can provide.
War Years
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:56 pm
War Years wrote:Thanks for posting this a while back, Bada,
In the offsesason after we lost Baron , Mully aggresively pursued Elton Brand, with a 90 million dollar, what? 6 year contract? Next year we were on the hook with Baron for 17 million, so the 15 million a year offer for EB,( assuming an average 6 years at 90 = 15 a year, ) was doable. But didn't I understand that free agent signings count differently against the cap then trading players? If so how?
I have a probably unrealistic wish list. But proposing a trade may enlighten me a little more about trade and salary restrictions.
Say, we have a vain hope of signing Carlos Boozer, an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year. Since it's obvious that there will be quite a bidding war, at the end of the year. I assume our only strategy would be to trade for him before his contract expires?
Since Utah has a a number of unrestricted free agents, it is fair to assume they might be comfortable with rebuilding at the end of the year and at least can be sure of getting some value for him between now and the end of the year if they trade him.
If that were to happen, As I understand it , at the end of this year, we could then a)match any offer of any other team? or B) we could sign a new contract with him before the end of the season and retain him? C)Could we stipulate a trade under the condition of negotiating a new contract with him, or are we prohibited in negotiating with him while he is under contract? Could the Jazz waive the restriction in order to make the deal? Thanks for any info you can provide.

As Bada is probably and deservedly so, having a jolly old time with his family, Ill give this one a go for you War years.

So, Boozer isnt going to be an un-restricted guy, he has a "player option"............which means he can choose to opt out of his deal, or stick with it one more year and become an un-restricted free agent next year.

Hypothetically then, to answer your questions =

1 - Teams with alot of un-restricted players or players who they feel are going to opt out.............yes, obviously it would be better to try and get some value for them before they leave for nothing............unless that team is wanting salary off there books for a particular free agent that may be available of course.

2 - Say Boozer was un-restrcited and we did trade for him in the season his contract was ending, then =

A: Yes we could match any offers made for him by other teams but it would end up being his choice of which one to accept...........where as if he was "restrcited" then if a team made an offer (often referred to as an offer sheet) if we match that offer, then he stays with us...........like with Azu in the summer, we didnt make an offer, the Clips did but we had first refusal, so we matched and Azu stayed because he was restrcited..........if he was un-restricted, he could have chosen where to go..........cool?

B: Once he is our player, we can choose to extend him yes...........but only the free agent negotiation period at the end of the season.

C: Any stipulations as far as him signing a new deal once with us would only be a gentlemans agreement (dont ask Elton Brand about that :wink:)............there isnt anything you can officially write into a trade that stipulates that he HAS to sign an extension with us, you just hope that he would like the fact he was traded here and want to sign an extension.

Teams are only allowed to negotiate with free agents (who are currently under contract) at certain points in the off season..........Utah could not and would not waive that right, its set in stone when negotiations can take place.
Hope that makes sense, and I hope Bada or somebody else come back and show me up...........thats how I understand it.

Anything else, if I wasnt clear, just post back bud. :wink:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:11 pm
In any case, it's a pipe dream. Boozer is gonna stay with the Jazz with a max contract. Just wait.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:57 pm
TMC wrote:In any case, it's a pipe dream. Boozer is gonna stay with the Jazz with a max contract. Just wait.

Well yeah.........but the dude asked some question about trade situations and free agent technicalities..........so I answered.

Jeez, who took the jam out of your dougnut! :roll: :wink:

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:37 pm
Thanks Bigs, That's close to what I thought.
TMC,Yeah it's probably a pipe dream, but I will remind you, Like Brand, he did pull an unexpected move a few years back.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1848196
War Years
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:59 pm
LOL great new banner subtitle. "where the 50 million dollar black hole happens."

ah. regrette.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:53 am
Does this really need to be stickied anymore...?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:18 pm
Probably not. I do still see random questions about how much so and so makes or how many years left and I point them here. Maybe I will leave it up until the trade deadline as this will be useful for trade possibilities.
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:42 pm
hey two little ticky tacky questions guys...

1. I thought we had a team option with williams to keep him a few more years? it now says here that that's not the case.

2. doesn't foyle's buyout continue next year (I think just like $600,000)?
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:23 pm
first off wrote:hey two little ticky tacky questions guys...

1. I thought we had a team option with williams to keep him a few more years? it now says here that that's not the case.

Two ticky answers for ya =

1 - We DID have an option but declined it...........so hes a free agent at the end of the year, and all the speculation is that he is only still here as an expirer to be included in some kind of trade (Look at the end of Williams's line, Badas put "Declined 09-10 option)

2 - It does, its $660,000, and its still there on the front page. :wink:
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:23 am
bigstrads wrote:
first off wrote:hey two little ticky tacky questions guys...

Two ticky answers for ya =

1 - We DID have an option but declined it...........so hes a free agent at the end of the year, and all the speculation is that he is only still here as an expirer to be included in some kind of trade (Look at the end of Williams's line, Badas put "Declined 09-10 option)

2 - It does, its $660,000, and its still there on the front page. :wink:

ah yes thanks bigs, and yeah I realized bada still had the 660K thing on foyles line right after I wrote it. it's just that hoopshype site didn't have it, so I was wondering if something changed. I suppose that means williams is a goner after this year :(? oh well.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:10 pm
Hey, Bada... you want to drop this now? Or wait to see if the Warriors make a deadline deal? Your thread, your call.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:21 pm
xbay wrote:Hey, Bada... you want to drop this now? Or wait to see if the Warriors make a deadline deal? Your thread, your call.

would like to keep it until after the trade deadline so we can easily reference our salaries for proposed trades. once trade deadline is done we can unsticky.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:24 pm
damn, you guys got some strong glue to keep it stick that long
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball