Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:01 pm
hey whats the deal?

this article off of ESPN.com says the following:

The Warriors are squeezed, with heightened expectations from the fans and a payroll that's swollen from trying to meet them, yet with a serious ceiling on how high the team can go. The good news for them is they aren't completely trapped. They're still almost $10 million below the luxury tax, so they won't have to start shopping salaries to save money. Of the 15 players on their roster, 12 are age 25 or younger. The oldest player on the roster, Jackson, is only 30.

what gives? after adding Dion Dowell I would have thought we had roughly 1Mill left before Lux tax? no?

and their salaries on the roster page add up to about 62.6 Million, are they forgetting about the Foyle buy out thingy? I couldn't find any info on buy out clauses so whats the deal? still don't really understand that.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:26 pm
first off wrote:hey whats the deal?

this article off of ESPN.com says the following:

The Warriors are squeezed, with heightened expectations from the fans and a payroll that's swollen from trying to meet them, yet with a serious ceiling on how high the team can go. The good news for them is they aren't completely trapped. They're still almost $10 million below the luxury tax, so they won't have to start shopping salaries to save money. Of the 15 players on their roster, 12 are age 25 or younger. The oldest player on the roster, Jackson, is only 30.

what gives? after adding Dion Dowell I would have thought we had roughly 1Mill left before Lux tax? no?

and their salaries on the roster page add up to about 62.6 Million, are they forgetting about the Foyle buy out thingy? I couldn't find any info on buy out clauses so whats the deal? still don't really understand that.

That is odd.............the Foyle buyout is about 6.8 mil.............its all so damned confusing and changes all the fricken time.

ESPN's numbers add up to = $62,629,811

Plus Foyles 6.8 mil buyout amount = $69,429,811

Was going to compare Bada's numbers with the ESPN ones but the image wont show up for me for some reason...........
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:03 pm
updated the image link. not sure what happened. Anyway, I have no idea how ESPN gets that figure.

I know it is reported the we are 1.4 under the luxury tax threshold while I have us at 2.4 under. Gotta try to do some research to see where I am off.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:14 pm
bada wrote:updated the image link. not sure what happened. Anyway, I have no idea how ESPN gets that figure.

I know it is reported the we are 1.4 under the luxury tax threshold while I have us at 2.4 under. Gotta try to do some research to see where I am off.

Dude, the difference that ESPN have compared to yours are =

Maggette on $8,275,262 - Compared to your $8,552,825.

Youve got Foyles buyout as $6,470,000 - Whereas I thought and found it was $6,800,000.

ESPN has Azu on $2,900,000 - Compared to your $3,000,000.

ESPN has Randolph on $1,709,280 - Compared to your $1,424,400.

And your list doesnt include Dowell on $442,114.

Those are the only differences...........the writer who said we are 10 mil below the Luxury threshold obviously forgot about Foyle's buyout but still...........its weird.

Ohh man..............I knew this would never be settled. :mrgreen:
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:07 pm
can one of you (bigs or bada) explain the buy out thing? I don't get it, so he's on Dallas roster right? so they don't pay him? or do we have to pay that buy out money to the NBA as a penalty or something?
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:37 pm
first off wrote:can one of you (bigs or bada) explain the buy out thing? I don't get it, so he's on Dallas roster right? so they don't pay him? or do we have to pay that buy out money to the NBA as a penalty or something?

Sure bro.

So as you know, ALL contracts in the NBA are guaranteed. There is no restructuring or waiving of a player to save money in the NBA like in the NFL.

Adonal was guaranteed to get his entire contract no matter what the Warriors did. However, if both parties agree, a team can "buy out" a contract.

What happens is the team places the player on waivers. If he clears waivers, then both sides negotiate a buy out amount.

These are just approx numbers because I dont feel like looking it all up, but in Adonals case, he was owed about $20 million over 2 years. He agreed to a buy out of around $15 million. This saves the Warriors $5 million and in turn, Adonal is released from his contract and is free to sign elsewhere.

As far as the salary cap charge to the Warriors, the amount charged is spread over the live of the original contract porportionate to the original contract.

For example, if Adonal had two year left at a total of $20 million and say was getting 9 in year 1 and 11 in year 2. That means he was getting 45% of the money owed in year 1 and 55% in year two. So if they agreed to pay out a total of $15 million, then the warriors cap charge would be as follows:
year 1: $6,750,000 (45%)
year 2: $8,250,000 (55%)

Again, these are made up numbers but you get the point.

One other note, the cap charge is different from the way the money is actually paid out to Adonal. That is a completely different negotiation. The Warriors could have paid him the full 15 million in one lump sum or paid him once a year for 20 years.... payment structure does not matter as the cap charge is ALWAYS spread over the life of the original contract.
Last edited by bada on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:14 pm
muchas gracias amigo
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:23 am
Damn.............Im glad I was in bed for that question...............as Bada would have shown my ass up! :mrgreen:

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:06 pm
Who cares about the salary cap!!! Nobody ever comes or stays with the team...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:05 pm
J-Rich wrote:Who cares about the salary cap!!! Nobody ever comes or stays with the team...

Image...........another classic J-Rich low-light, well done.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:16 pm
Ohhh!!! What a low blow!!! I'm offended :shock:

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:41 pm
Just ask Gilbert and Brand about coming to the W's!!! Their reply"Thanks But No Thanks!"
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:44 pm
sorry for the delay... spreadsheet is updated based on querying several sources.
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:17 pm
Impressive work, Bada. Thanks for taking care of it. :D
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:32 am
updated spreadsheet to include Jax' extension.

The salary by years is just an estimate based on the max raise of 8% since I have not seen any year by year details. I will revise if I get better information

Return to Warriors Basketball