*Warriors Salary and Cap Space Thread*

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:33 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
War Years wrote:I always appreciate the handful of guys on this board who are well versed and able to give answers to salary cap questions.
My question is: If for example though hypothetical:
The Sixers were to offer Iguodola for the Warriors number 2 draft pick. Now Iguodala's salary is , say 12 million a year, and a #2 pick gets only 3.5 million. We certainly see it's done straight across all the time. The Jrich for Brandan Wright is such a trade. Are trade's for draft prospects exempt from the 25% trade rule? If not, By what trade mechanism(s) can teams do that?
Thanks,

You can only do a trade like that with a team that is under the cap. If the Dubs were far enough under the cap to accept Iggys contract, he could be straight swapped for a pick.

Yea that's right, the Bobcats were under the cap when the JRich for BW trade was made, so it was possible then. To get Iguodala, the team would have to give a big enough contract along with the #2 pick, in that scenario, something like Monta and the #2 for Iggy

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:00 am
I'm not a salary person, so I thought I asked the experts. Is it possible for us to get Rudy Gay. I think he's the one sleeper free agent this year that nobody is talking about. Do we realistically have the money or personel (via trade or something) available to get him?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:11 am
JSU2004 wrote:I'm not a salary person, so I thought I asked the experts. Is it possible for us to get Rudy Gay. I think he's the one sleeper free agent this year that nobody is talking about. Do we realistically have the money or personel (via trade or something) available to get him?

Think Bada had said earlier that the team was slightly over the salary vap and so couldn't sign anyone, but Gay is certainly a player I like, not for his name, but he is a very good player that could possibly get better. To be honest though, maybe he would improve the team no more than say Monta does, but hopefully he would and hopefully the team could get him in a trade for Monta, as I'd prefer him over Mayo

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:27 am
JSU2004 wrote:I'm not a salary person, so I thought I asked the experts. Is it possible for us to get Rudy Gay. I think he's the one sleeper free agent this year that nobody is talking about. Do we realistically have the money or personel (via trade or something) available to get him?

It's only possible via a sign-and-trade, but we'd have to overpay by A LOT for Memphis not to match.

So... it's technically possible, but not likely.
All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:02 pm
TMC wrote:

It's only possible via a sign-and-trade, but we'd have to overpay by A LOT for Memphis not to match.

What do you all mean, "sign and trade"

Is Monta+draftpick=Gay+Thabeet?? :\
~LilBallerx~

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:28 am
LilBallerx8 wrote:
TMC wrote:

What do you all mean, "sign and trade"

Well, for starters, we cannot sign anybody to more than our MLE, as we're over the cap, and a player of Gay's level won't sign for just that.

Once that's clear, the only way to get him would be to get creative and do a sign-and-trade with Memphis. This would imply several actions:

1.- As he's restricted, we'd have to sign Gay to a contract big enough for Memphis not to match.

2.- As we cannot sign him directly due to our team being over the cap, we'd have to agree with Memphis on them signing him to that amount and trading him (under his new contract) to us. Of course, they'd have to get equal value back. And the three parts would have to agree to the trade, which is easier said than done.

It's a bit more complicated than that, because Gay would become a BYC player under his new contract, and that would alter the amount the contracts have to match for the sign-and-trade to be workable, but that's the idea.

Hope that helped...

LilBallerx8 wrote:Is Monta+draftpick=Gay+Thabeet?? :\

Um... no. Monta's contract is way too big for that trade.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:40 am
Monta and the lottery pick for a resigned Gay and MGasol could work and that'd be nice

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:17 am
migya wrote:Monta and the lottery pick for a resigned Gay and MGasol could work and that'd be nice

hmmmmmm even I'd look at that
uptempo wrote:Dude, why are you so obsessed with Mullin?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:55 am
migya wrote:Monta and the lottery pick for a resigned Gay and MGasol could work and that'd be nice

Wouldn't work. Gasol is on a cheap deal and Gay would be a BYC player, so his contract wouldn't count for more than 50% of his real value.

Memphis would have to add a few more players for that to work, due to Monta's contract.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:41 am
TMC wrote:

Wouldn't work. Gasol is on a cheap deal and Gay would be a BYC player, so his contract wouldn't count for more than 50% of his real value.

Memphis would have to add a few more players for that to work, due to Monta's contract.

I'd really really like the Warriors to figure this one out. Monta + our Draft Pick + another player for Gasol + Gay + any players they don't want. Make it so.
* Underhanded Beans Fanclub Leader *

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:02 am
spreadsheet has been updated with Reggie Williams and also the estimated cap figure for next season.

One thing I am having a problem determining for sure is whether Azuibuike really does have a player option next season. I have seen it reported both ways... as a player option and not an option year.

If anyone knows definitively, let me know.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:06 am
nevermind, I found it. He DEFINATELY has a player option as I found an article with him talking about it. As you would expect coming off an injury, he is not expected to opt out.
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:52 pm
bada wrote:nevermind, I found it. He DEFINATELY has a player option as I found an article with him talking about it. As you would expect coming off an injury, he is not expected to opt out.

duuuuudde, totaly pointed that out a couple of pages ago... :roll: :roll: :) :mrgreen:

nah man thanks for updating :D

only other thing is that watson is a restricted FA according to ESPN. they could be wrong (as they sometimes are), but if they are right, wouldn't that mean he has some qualifying offer?
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:36 am
first off wrote:
bada wrote:nevermind, I found it. He DEFINATELY has a player option as I found an article with him talking about it. As you would expect coming off an injury, he is not expected to opt out.

duuuuudde, totaly pointed that out a couple of pages ago... :roll: :roll: :) :mrgreen:

nah man thanks for updating :D

only other thing is that watson is a restricted FA according to ESPN. they could be wrong (as they sometimes are), but if they are right, wouldn't that mean he has some qualifying offer?

yes, pretty sure he has a qualifying offer as well. forgot to add that. thanks.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:33 pm
Thank goodness, the Rowell/Cohan era is on countdown. I don't see any trade that creates future liabilities happening anytime soon, with the team for sale. Azu seems to have a player option which is very likely he will send in the paperwork. Assuming we build around Curry (makes sense since he is good player and has nice cheap rookie contract) why would you invest a MLE or more for a player like Rudy Gay. We have to realistic about Memphis, the franchise is total mess, loses a lot of money, and has absolutely no leverage. We need to save up our money for a good package of expiring contracts which is a great way of getting a superstar without the free agency overbidding. I would rather have a losing season of AR, BW, Curry and Ellis with the rookie (hopefully we trade down if we don't get Cousins) on the rotation, than another Mags type of panic move for mediocrity. Heck isn't half the "We Believe" roster playing in the Conference finals (Barnes, Pietrus, J-Rich)... if we got talent, you should probably keep the some of the players for a while (what a concept).
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball