Summer Do-Over

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Role Player
» Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:39 am
This team is heading deep into the cellar of the Western Conference in a hurry with bad moves after bad moves. After making the playoffs in 2006-07 and having a 47 win season ending just out of the playoffs, this team gets another facelift for the worse. Being a 45 win team to make the playoffs in the West is quite realistic and as it stands, this is not a 45 win team.

The Do Overs:

Give Baron Davis what he wanted. Davis has been the best player in a Warriors uniform since Chris Webber's rookie season and both were pretty much lost for nothing. Davis at 29 years old isn't old by any standards and a 5 year contract for $65M is quite reasonable for somenoe who is a top 4 point guard in the league. Nash didn't become a household name until he was 29. With expiring contracts such a sought after commodity, 5 years could easily turn into 4 years if it doesn't work out. Sure Baron left them with tons of cap space, but too bad it was in such a shallow free agent market.

Move Monta Ellis. I know alot of fans love this guy. I mean..whats not to love? He's quick, athletic and exciting to watch right? I love the way he turns the ball over, doesn't pass the ball and how he doesn't play defense. Monta Ellis is too into himself to stay a Warriors past 2 years. He'll want to play in a bigger market and will ask to be traded sooner than later. They should of sign and traded Ellis along with Jackson to the Heat for Daquan Cook and Shawn Marion who is a $17M expiring contract next Summer where it will be a much more attractive free agent market. If he worked out, give him a long term contract as well.

Andris Biedrins. I like this kid. He has a great attitude and is fun to watch. The problem is, that he isn't the shot blocker or rebounder that Adonal Foyle was (per minute) and has just as little offense as Foyle, so what makes him worth $8M a year? He has yet to prove that he can play defense without fouling someone and his free throw shooting, though improving, is still horrific and excruciating to watch. He has value around the league as well especially for a team looking for a center. They should of worked out somekind of sign and trade with Biedrins packaged with Harrington which is virtually $17M. Even to Detroit for Wallace and Prince.

Lets see if this would of been a better/playoff team..

PG Davis - Watson
SG Belinelli - Cook
SF Prince - Randolph
PF Marion - Wright
C Wallace - Hendrix

or would you prefer the current line up?

PG Ellis - Watson
SG Jackson - Belinelli
SF Maggette - Randolph
PF Harrington - Wright
C Biedrins - Hendrix

Role Player
» Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:48 am
Wow. Summer Do-Over?

I am 100% happy with the moves Mully has made.

What is with the DOOM / GLOOM and OH-NO's??? Baron Davis (IMO) is overrated; as much as he helped our team for 2 seasons, it was the overall TEAM chemistry that made the whole thing 'work'.

Baron, an aging, over weight player; selfish and way too Hollywood with horrible acting skills. Even with my VOTE BARON sign (yes, he should have been an all-star), I can positively say, Baron is not worth the kind of money LAC gave him. Also, strictly on a human level, Baron is an ass and doesn't give a sh*t about the fans (not saying he should, but character shows). Remember - Baron at his BEST could not get us to the playoffs.

MOVE MONTA ELLIS? Are you nuts??? High scoring on a consistent level with room for even more improvement (PG?) - YES. Ellis is also hungry and willing to step-up...

Bottom line is, Mully is thinking the FUTURE - and I see the FUTURE as being bright...

All Star
» Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:53 am
C'mon EmceeT, you don't want a 29-year-old PG who has struggled with injury, fitness, consistency and his attitude? We should have ditched the entire team and just paid him $58 million a year.

Role Player
» Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:30 pm
StuckInSoCal wrote:C'mon EmceeT, you don't want a 29-year-old PG who has struggled with injury, fitness, consistency and his attitude? We should have ditched the entire team and just paid him $58 million a year.

lol.

"Thank you, Thank you, Thank you." - Baron Davis

All Star
» Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:46 pm
My summer do-over would be to not open this thread.

Franchise Player
» Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:48 pm
Thunder wrote:My summer do-over would be to not open this thread.

Indeed, I think we need to follow our teams example............and have a "GoldenStWarriors.com Summer Do Over"!!! :wink:

Franchise Player
» Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:48 pm
Thunder wrote:My summer do-over would be to not open this thread.

=D>

All Star
» Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:48 pm
I don't know what this has to do with anything, so I'll post it here. What follows is just hearsay and to be taken as such...

So I was talking to this friend of mine at our show last night. He's in education, but he also produces parties and raps on a few songs with our band occasionally. Baron's departure came up in the conversation. He mentioned that he produced several parties for Baron including one of his birthday parties. Anyway, he didn't go on about it too much, but he did say that Baron was full of himself and kind of an arsehole. I guess he was a difficult and demanding client.

Well that's it.. end of gossip/hearsay story.... so for whatever it's worth... so long mr. thank you, thank you, thank you.

Starting Lineup
» Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:13 pm
B Scott, coach of the year, and coach of one the best teams in the Western Conference is not a big BD fan. The Western Conference coaches are not BD fans ... we could of had an all-star if individual stats was all the mattered. If Malice (or the Missile for Mississippi) can light it up 50% for a couple of months ... we may be forgetting BD the way the Hornets are forgetting BD with that young nice kid that is going to the Olympics, yep CP3. There are great players that are so good that the defense has to change everything to counteract and that leaves wide open team mates (Kobe, Lebron, Nash, CP) and other players that take such a huge volume of shots and believe in their own mind, they are true NBA legends. We know where Mullie and B Scott stand on this issue.

Rookie
» Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:23 pm
dareedle wrote:There are great players that are so good that the defense has to change everything to counteract and that leaves wide open team mates (Kobe, Lebron, Nash, CP) and other players that take such a huge volume of shots and believe in their own mind, they are true NBA legends. We know where Mullie and B Scott stand on this issue.

I think Kobe falls into both categories, both mostly the latter one.

Franchise Player
» Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:41 am
So now that Turiaf is official, we can almost look at the Baron thing like a trade.

Warriors trade: Baron Davis

Warriors receive: Corey Maggette, Ronny Tufiaf, 3.5 million is cap space

This is essentially what we have got with Baron opting out. Still yet to be seen what we do with the rest of the cap space (bring in another veteran role player, apply it to Beans and/or Monta's contract, etc)

If someone proposed this trade in the offseason, I bet some would say no way, but a lot would say hell yeah.

I will reserve judgement still until I see exactly how our roster looks heading into camp.

Franchise Player
» Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:28 pm
I'm just curious to see how Dunleavy and Baron co-exist. Baron will shoot it whenever he pleases. Dunleavy is strict at hell with ball hogs. Only Nelson had a strong relationship with Baron. But even we can agree somewhat that that relationship ended on a bit of a sour note.

Role Player
» Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:44 am
StuckInSoCal wrote:C'mon EmceeT, you don't want a 29-year-old PG who has struggled with injury, fitness, consistency and his attitude? We should have ditched the entire team and just paid him $58 million a year.

You do realize that Ellis has yet to play a full season since coming into the NBA. I take it your rather sign a 23 year old who has already had one knee surgery, who can't handle or pass the ball like a point, and give him $11M a year to play the position he can't play. No? You rather pay him play the shooting guard position, a position that he can't guard or a position where no other 6'3 shooting guard has become a star player? I see all the fascination with Ellis now...

All Star
» Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:57 am
BayAreaHoopz wrote:

You do realize that Ellis has yet to play a full season since coming into the NBA. I take it your rather sign a 23 year old who has already had one knee surgery, who can't handle or pass the ball like a point, and give him $11M a year to play the position he can't play. No? You rather pay him play the shooting guard position, a position that he can't guard or a position where no other 6'3 shooting guard has become a star player? I see all the fascination with Ellis now...

Did I miss something? Monta played 81 games last year, and 77 the year before...are we not counting that as playing a full season?

Franchise Player
» Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:52 am
bada wrote:So now that Turiaf is official, we can almost look at the Baron thing like a trade.

Warriors receive: Corey Maggette, Ronny Tufiaf, 3.5 million is cap space

This is essentially what we have got with Baron opting out. Still yet to be seen what we do with the rest of the cap space (bring in another veteran role player, apply it to Beans and/or Monta's contract, etc)

If someone proposed this trade in the offseason, I bet some would say no way, but a lot would say hell yeah.

I will reserve judgement still until I see exactly how our roster looks heading into camp.

OK, so if the Marcus Williams things happen, the salary cap space from Baron opting out allowed us to make that deal, so this can be updated as

Warriors receive: Corey Maggette, Ronny Turiaf, Marcus Williams, and 1.8 mil in cap space

That is looking a lot better than it was