Official RFA, UFA, Trades, etc. Thread

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Role Player
» Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:15 pm
ok now that the draft is over what free agents our out there you think are the missing pieces to be contenders and potential moves will get the dubs over the hump to contend.

Franchise Player
» Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:24 pm
We need to focus on resigning some of the talented young players that we have up for free agency. Monta, Biedrins, and Azubuike need to come back. We should try and deal Pietrus in a sign-and-trade if somebody is willing to take him off of our hands. I would still like to see us get a good solid rebounder. If our guy is Hendrix, cool. We still need to get somebody that can get the job done.

All Star
» Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:25 pm
i think we should try to move al for cap relief and resign baron to a multiyear contract, but somewhere around 10-12 mil a year. and of course we gotta get monta and beans back

All Star
» Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:48 pm
trade al for a point guard (maybe one of chicago's) and sign posey and we are good to go!

Rookie
» Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:32 pm
E-Man wrote:trade al for a point guard (maybe one of chicago's) and sign posey and we are good to go!

You can sign a PG, we should keep Al around. I don't want to throw front court depth away.

Franchise Player
» Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:48 pm
NightAngel wrote:
E-Man wrote:trade al for a point guard (maybe one of chicago's) and sign posey and we are good to go!

You can sign a PG, we should keep Al around. I don't want to throw front court depth away.

Al doesnt contribute as much as he should be. And eight million a year is too much for an inconsistant shooter who is here to add depth. We would be better elsewhere.

All Star
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:04 am
i have a feeling that when i wake up tomorrow and check espn, the red box that says "BREAKING NEWS!" is gonna be in the top right corner, and its gonna have to do with the warriors...

just a hunch...

All Star
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:16 am
trade exception runs out monday doesn't it?

Franchise Player
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:04 am
Ohh god.............I was hoping for something to cheer me up this morning...........and nope.

Hendrix is a decent pick, hoping he will be a Millsap/Bass character.............but may be a another fricken Lasme.

Man, Im sorry but we are in some trouble you know.

1 - Randolph adds nothing to the team, especially right now and for Nellie last season...........could even have a negative impact, as IF he plays at all (which would be a nill impact of course) he will take time from Brandan and Beans, when he is not good enough to do that, or having him on the floor with Brandan or Beans..........well, we are still gonna get out-muscled and dominated inside.

I mean, the reason he dropped so far was because he got DOMINATED BY COLLEGE BIGS, who basically are the average NBA big man............so what does that mean?

2 - All the fricken free agents we have.........re-signing Monta and Beans is gonna take all our cap room...........Azu, Pietrus, Barnes probably going, not to mention Kosta returning to Europe, Croshere being let go, Hudson, Webber retiring/let go........what/how many players are we going to have?

Im hoping we re-sign Azu, hoping we can find a decent pick up for Pietrus..............and then its just gonna have to be alot of Vets Minimums for players to fill out the roster (Dont think we are going to use the TE, which does expire on June 30th, or even the MLE, as we will be in the luxury tax and Cohan doesnt want that)

3 - Baron not happy................we all know what Baron does when he isnt happy. I mean sh*t, he wanted to bail last year when he didnt get an extension, until Jerry West gave him a talking too.

Al wants to leave, is close to handing a trade request..............are we going to even have any takers for him? what kind of value can we get for him?

Man, Im sorry............Im just quite disapointed.............although, theres still time for a deal, fingers crossed.

All Star
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:21 am
Last year I got razzed in this forum when I said Lasme was not going to make the team or amybe not even make the league. i feel the same about this years 2nd round pick. This guy is wide but he has no hops. milsap has hops, Brandon Bass has hops. This guy was still on the board because most GM feels that his game of just muscling people around is not enough. he can only play the 4 and that's it. I hope he proves me wrong but that's what I see. Being big is not enough. You have to be a quick leaper. there are very few Carlos Boozers in this league, and even he had trouble getting his shot off in the playoffs.

Franchise Player
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:32 am
bigstrads wrote:1 - Randolph adds nothing to the team, especially right now and for Nellie last season...........could even have a negative impact, as IF he plays at all (which would be a nill impact of course) he will take time from Brandan and Beans, when he is not good enough to do that, or having him on the floor with Brandan or Beans..........well, we are still gonna get out-muscled and dominated inside.

I mean, the reason he dropped so far was because he got DOMINATED BY COLLEGE BIGS, who basically are the average NBA big man............so what does that mean?

Got into this discussion with sf in the Anthony Randolph thread so dont want to rehash it all but who was available with that pick that Nellie WOULD have played that would have made a meaningful contribution next season. Nobody! So why not take the guy with the biggest upside in the draft after Beasely and Rose.

Also, in college he defended the oppositions biggest and strongest guy. That is not happening in the pros. He will play the 3 and his length could bother a lot of 3's. Also as he develops his offensive game, he is going to be a NIGHTMARE for opposing 3's to guard. As he gets stronger he will be able to play some 4 as well. Not like he need to defend Duncan, Boozer, etc.

bigstrads wrote:2 - All the fricken free agents we have.........re-signing Monta and Beans is gonna take all our cap room...........Azu, Pietrus, Barnes probably going, not to mention Kosta returning to Europe, Croshere being let go, Hudson, Webber retiring/let go........what/how many players are we going to have?

Im hoping we re-sign Azu, hoping we can find a decent pick up for Pietrus..............and then its just gonna have to be alot of Vets Minimums for players to fill out the roster (Dont think we are going to use the TE, which does expire on June 30th, or even the MLE, as we will be in the luxury tax and Cohan doesnt want that)

Yes, lots of work to do with our FA's. I agree with you on the TE. DOnt think we will use it.

bigstrads wrote:3 - Baron not happy................we all know what Baron does when he isnt happy. I mean sh*t, he wanted to bail last year when he didnt get an extension, until Jerry West gave him a talking too.

Al wants to leave, is close to handing a trade request..............are we going to even have any takers for him? what kind of value can we get for him?

Baron wants to stay in Oakland. He is said that many times. He is not unhappy hear. He loves playing here and with this group of guys. Dont buy into all that media crap. But sure, he is frustrated that he has performed exceptionally for this team and can't get an extension despite playing every game last season.

Franchise Player
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:57 am
bada wrote:
bigstrads wrote:1 - Randolph adds nothing to the team, especially right now and for Nellie last season...........could even have a negative impact, as IF he plays at all (which would be a nill impact of course) he will take time from Brandan and Beans, when he is not good enough to do that, or having him on the floor with Brandan or Beans..........well, we are still gonna get out-muscled and dominated inside.

Got into this discussion with sf in the Anthony Randolph thread so dont want to rehash it all but who was available with that pick that Nellie WOULD have played that would have made a meaningful contribution next season. Nobody! So why not take the guy with the biggest upside in the draft after Beasely and Rose.

Also, in college he defended the oppositions biggest and strongest guy. That is not happening in the pros. He will play the 3 and his length could bother a lot of 3's. Also as he develops his offensive game, he is going to be a NIGHTMARE for opposing 3's to guard. As he gets stronger he will be able to play some 4 as well. Not like he need to defend Duncan, Boozer, etc.

What Ive bolded up there is kind of the point though man...........if we cant even draft anyone outside of the top 3 because of our coach..........what is the damned point?

If there was no-one available that Nellie would play straight away and would improve us straight away..........then why not trade the pick for a vet that Nellie would play, and would be able to use in his last season as coach.

To me it shows a kind of divide between management and Nellie, as they are picking up the Brandans/Marcos/Randolphs for the future, knowing full well that Nellie wont really use them and that they will not really help our team until Nellie is gone.

In a way, Id rather see Nellie go right now, rather than go through another season where all the stars are burned out and we dont make the playoffs (look at how Portland and even the Minny, has improved)..........we havnt improved one little bit with this move.

Moreover, if Nellie does stop being stubborn for the first time in his coaching career, then we are going to have a bunch of skinny, weak, not NBA ready players out there..........its a lose lose situation to me.

Im just annoyed because right now it looks like we are not improving or adressing any of our needs for the 2nd straight summer, and have resigned ourselves to Nellie having one last hurrah, and wait till next season to see what can happen.

Franchise Player
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:06 am
very valid discussion bigs. I can understand your frustration. And who knows what potential moves could be coming. We still have the TE for a couple more days and then FA starts. Hopefully we are not done yet.

I could care less if this is Nellie's last season as it relates to winning now. We cant let the fact that is it Nelson's last year dictate draft picks that help shape the future of the franchise. I think we gotta come to grips with the fact that we are not built to win. At least a championship. We have made the playoffs once in the last 13 years or whatever it is. Dont let the one playoff appearance cloud the fact that we are still a middle of the road team. There is a reason Nellie has NEVER won or even taken a team to the Finals. His complete disregard to playing fundamental defense will always prevent this team from making a serious run.

What Nellie does great is he takes mediocre talent and gets them to overachieve with quirky styles that during the regular season can give teams trouble because they cant prepare for it. We got lucky last year in that Dallas was the PERFECT opponent for us. What Nellie does not do well, is take a GOOD teams and achieve GREAT things with them.

Randolph has a chance to be a great player. A guy his length with handles and a face up game are so rare. The potential there is amazing. Just as easily he could flame out. Only time will tell

All Star
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:15 am
I did not expect draft day to change our landscape all that much.
Hopefully Hendrix can help us underneath and keep up with our style.
Mullins seems excited by Randolph, but I don't see him helping for another few years.

We'll need at least 2-3 more quality players to make the bench deep enough to contend with the big boys.
This is going to get interesting if nothing else.

Franchise Player
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:18 am
bada wrote:very valid discussion bigs. I can understand your frustration. And who knows what potential moves could be coming. We still have the TE for a couple more days and then FA starts. Hopefully we are not done yet.

I could care less if this is Nellie's last season as it relates to winning now. We cant let the fact that is it Nelson's last year dictate draft picks that help shape the future of the franchise. I think we gotta come to grips with the fact that we are not built to win. At least a championship. We have made the playoffs once in the last 13 years or whatever it is. Dont let the one playoff appearance cloud the fact that we are still a middle of the road team. There is a reason Nellie has NEVER won or even taken a team to the Finals. His complete disregard to playing fundamental defense will always prevent this team from making a serious run.

What Nellie does great is he takes mediocre talent and gets them to overachieve with quirky styles that during the regular season can give teams trouble because they cant prepare for it. We got lucky last year in that Dallas was the PERFECT opponent for us. What Nellie does not do well, is take a GOOD teams and achieve GREAT things with them.

Randolph has a chance to be a great player. A guy his length with handles and a face up game are so rare. The potential there is amazing. Just as easily he could flame out. Only time will tell

Yeah, your right, and I agree with all of it..........I suppose I just wanted us to try and take advantage of this good group we have NOW! instead of waiting 3-4 years when Baron/S-Jax are winding down there careers.

Also, Im not and have never expected a championship team......Im a realist fan, I dont expect that at all...........I just dont want to return to be mired in the bottom quater of the west again.

My angle was more of "using what we have, while we have it".........I cant see why Nellie would want to spend his last season struggling and developing guys he isnt going to be here to see prosper..........and Baron and S-Jax arent getting any younger.

So In my mind, we should have made a push to utilise Nellie's style and uniqueness and the players like Baron and S-Jax whilst they are in there prime.