Anthony Randolph Thread

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32


All Star
Posts: 1216
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:23 am
See.. Upside and potential are taboo words in the NBA. It is a HUGE gamble when you take somebody on the hopes that he will turn out into a contributor. Perhaps he will turn into a star, but he might turn into another bust. What other picks have been about potential with the warriors? Dunmurphy? Ike Diogu?

As for me, I want to win now ESPECIALLY since we were in the playoffs last year and would've liked to see somebody who could've stepped in immediately to contribute at the very least. Brook could've been that choice. I just don't want to see this team regress like they did post webber.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 6107
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:28 am
I think you got that wrong tkono.

Dunleavy and Diogo were 4 year starters that were supposed to be safe and polished players. WRONG! They bombed for the most part.

Upside and potential are NOT taboo words in the NBA. They are the HOT words. There is a reason why so many freshman got drafted yesterday. POTENTIAL.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3064
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:10 pm
tkono wrote:See.. Upside and potential are taboo words in the NBA. It is a HUGE gamble when you take somebody on the hopes that he will turn out into a contributor. Perhaps he will turn into a star, but he might turn into another bust. What other picks have been about potential with the warriors? Dunmurphy? Ike Diogu?

As for me, I want to win now ESPECIALLY since we were in the playoffs last year and would've liked to see somebody who could've stepped in immediately to contribute at the very least. Brook could've been that choice. I just don't want to see this team regress like they did post webber.



you guys are blind if you think that at 14 we were gonna get somebody who would immediately contribute to a playoff team. do you mean Robin? brook was gone at 10. And Robin would not contribute right away, he is viewed as a project as well, a project with far less potential than randolph.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1099
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:22 pm
any one who opposes the pick will be eating their words when in a few years Randolph is grabbing 10+ rebounds every game while scoring at least 20 points from the post, mid range, and from three while also blocking tons of shots.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 5705
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:20 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:you guys are blind if you think that at 14 we were gonna get somebody who would immediately contribute to a playoff team. do you mean Robin? brook was gone at 10. And Robin would not contribute right away, he is viewed as a project as well, a project with far less potential than randolph.


Well, if nobody will make an impact, why draft anybody? Why not trade it out for a player that we would be willing to play? That would have been the safer and better move.

jimbob631 wrote:any one who opposes the pick will be eating their words when in a few years Randolph is grabbing 10+ rebounds every game while scoring at least 20 points from the post, mid range, and from three while also blocking tons of shots.


First of all, that is baseless. Randolph gets 15 points and 8 rebounds a game in college, playing against college players. What happens when he gets to the pros and is a kid playing among men?

I would love to see him do well. Too bad it wont be in a Warrior uniform. Nellie will drive this kid out of here within the year. Watch.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 5705
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:22 pm
War Years wrote:SF, Whoa`! Your posts have generally struck me as more mild mannered. Though I'm probably the only Giant fan in the Bay Area who hates Krukow, ( I see him as a Southern California shower hogging , towel flipping jock, with the jargon to match ), you needn't back off in your comments. You are completely right!
I do think it's true that we really couldn't have drafted a player that would have made much of an impact for a couple of years with or without Nellie. But I'm pissed that we seem in denial that we have no grittiness and are under the illusion that we can rebound in the NBA with pairs of long flailing arms and toothpick torsos. Why don't we change our names to the f----king flamingoes!
The most positive nuance I got from the Mully interview is the rationale is that we got the best player available at our pick. This leads me only the hope that we are looking to give the most value for a physical big banger under the boards.
Coooach Wrote:
Most of the fans on this board have a very low aim. Making the palyoffs, being the 8th seed is not enough. You should want a team that has a realistic chance of winning a title. That's all sfsgiants want. And so do I.

I agree. I'm for the journey to get to the Championship. I don't mind the journey going forwards and backwards, like last year not making the playoffs. The reason we didn't make the playoffs last year is because we traded experience ( JR ) for a brighter, younger future. ( Wright ) and salary cap considerations. I think Wright should have been played about twice as much. But we probably would have won 54 games and not ended up exhausting BD and Sjax, if we still had JR. Having said that, the trade to get Wright was a good long term move. It didn't produce the results I would have liked because of one factor. Mully and Nelly are at odds. Mully won't interfere with Nelly's coaching decisions, so we are a ship with 2 captains. We got to get some overview and, determine our direction rather than just assemble as much talent as we can.
Our only hope is that there is a broader scheme here to land a solid NBA PF. I don't think a Wilcox or a Milsap by itself is going to cut it.


Good point. I want to win more than anything else. That is all I want. If people want to rag me for it, fine, as long as we get the job done.

Also, I dont mind Kruk. He is pretty funny. :mrgreen:

He is a Southern Californian, though. :cry:
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1099
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:32 pm
U can't fully judge a player on stats. Derick Rose's stats aren't amazing but he was the number one pick. System matters a lot as well as age. Randolph is a freshman, he played on a team with selfish players around him, grabbed 8.5 rebounds which will increase when he gains muscle. He also average 2.5 blocks and 1.1 steals which shows his athleticism and versatility. These are very good numbers for a freshman, he had strong numbers in almost every category.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 5705
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:33 pm
jimbob631 wrote:U can't fully judge a player on stats. Derick Rose's stats aren't amazing but he was the number one pick. System matters a lot as well as age. Randolph is a freshman, he played on a team with selfish players around him, grabbed 8.5 rebounds which will increase when he gains muscle. He also average 2.5 blocks and 1.1 steals which shows his athleticism and versatility. These are very good numbers for a freshman, he had strong numbers in almost every category.


Let me ask you this: have you ever seen the guy play? Or are you judging on stats and youtube videos?
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1099
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:54 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
jimbob631 wrote:U can't fully judge a player on stats. Derick Rose's stats aren't amazing but he was the number one pick. System matters a lot as well as age. Randolph is a freshman, he played on a team with selfish players around him, grabbed 8.5 rebounds which will increase when he gains muscle. He also average 2.5 blocks and 1.1 steals which shows his athleticism and versatility. These are very good numbers for a freshman, he had strong numbers in almost every category.


Let me ask you this: have you ever seen the guy play? Or are you judging on stats and youtube videos?


Nope ive watched him play multiple times. u can watch the majorty of his games on the net. Youtube is a terrible way to see if someone is good, anyone can look good on youtube.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3064
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:22 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:you guys are blind if you think that at 14 we were gonna get somebody who would immediately contribute to a playoff team. do you mean Robin? brook was gone at 10. And Robin would not contribute right away, he is viewed as a project as well, a project with far less potential than randolph.


Well, if nobody will make an impact, why draft anybody? Why not trade it out for a player that we would be willing to play? That would have been the safer and better move.




Well, as i said, at that pick, i doubt anybody would make an impact immediately this upcoming season. Maybe there is a trade in the works, if so, Randolph is probably definitely a better bargaining chip than anybody else they could have selected. As for safe moves, i'm tired of those. I like how mully makes riskier moves, if that were the case years ago, we could have had a Kobe or Amare by now. I guess i'm fine with the draft because i didn't go in thinking we were going to get a guy who was going to help right away. Granted, i don't watch college basketball much because it bores me, but the skill set i've heard that he has with his length, playing the 3? that's pretty intriguing. And if he gets traded, i'm sure he would bring more value than somebody else
User avatar

Rookie
Posts: 26
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:33 pm
I was one of those who disliked this selection. However, after thinking about it more, I have changed my mind.

Our other logical choices were Kosta, Greene, and Robin Lopez.

Kosta and Green dropped to 23 and 28, respectively. Obviously, all the teams from the Warriors (14) to 23/28 saw doubts in these players that we did not see. I will give Mullin benefit of the doubt, because otherwise, these players would have been selected much earlier. Granted, they may still turn out to be fine players in Utah and Memphis, but the cornerns on them are probably legit considering all the teams who passed on them. Again, I would give Mullin the benefit of the doubt.

As for Robin Lopez, he will likely be a solid player, but he does not have much upside. Solid players are a dime a dozen. Solid veterans are always available for cheap, and bangers with limited skills are easily available in the D-League.

Given with the players left at #14, I would take a gamble at Randolph any day. If he turns out to be a mediocre player, we did not lose much in this bet.

All Star
Posts: 2885
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:49 pm
War Years wrote:SF, Whoa`! Your posts have generally struck me as more mild mannered. Though I'm probably the only Giant fan in the Bay Area who hates Krukow, ( I see him as a Southern California shower hogging , towel flipping jock, with the jargon to match ), you needn't back off in your comments. You are completely right!
I do think it's true that we really couldn't have drafted a player that would have made much of an impact for a couple of years with or without Nellie. But I'm pissed that we seem in denial that we have no grittiness and are under the illusion that we can rebound in the NBA with pairs of long flailing arms and toothpick torsos. Why don't we change our names to the f----king flamingoes!
The most positive nuance I got from the Mully interview is the rationale is that we got the best player available at our pick. This leads me only the hope that we are looking to give the most value for a physical big banger under the boards.
Coooach Wrote:
Most of the fans on this board have a very low aim. Making the palyoffs, being the 8th seed is not enough. You should want a team that has a realistic chance of winning a title. That's all sfsgiants want. And so do I.

I agree. I'm for the journey to get to the Championship. I don't mind the journey going forwards and backwards, like last year not making the playoffs. The reason we didn't make the playoffs last year is because we traded experience ( JR ) for a brighter, younger future. ( Wright ) and salary cap considerations. I think Wright should have been played about twice as much. But we probably would have won 54 games and not ended up exhausting BD and Sjax, if we still had JR. Having said that, the trade to get Wright was a good long term move. It didn't produce the results I would have liked because of one factor. Mully and Nelly are at odds. Mully won't interfere with Nelly's coaching decisions, so we are a ship with 2 captains. We got to get some overview and, determine our direction rather than just assemble as much talent as we can.
Our only hope is that there is a broader scheme here to land a solid NBA PF. I don't think a Wilcox or a Milsap by itself is going to cut it.


Amen!
User avatar

Starting Lineup
Posts: 577
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:59 pm
uptempo wrote:David is a single issue poster; he is in love with Nelson and will attack anyone who questions Nelson's coaching.

You're right that I'm a single issue poster, but you're wrong about what the issue is.

I dislike misinformation. That's my "single issue". It just so happens that there's a lot of misinformation about Nelson. I don't disagree with the truth.

What goes by the wayside is, I back up my attempts to correct misinformation with examples.
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 7481
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:14 pm
David wrote:
uptempo wrote:David is a single issue poster; he is in love with Nelson and will attack anyone who questions Nelson's coaching.

You're right that I'm a single issue poster, but you're wrong about what the issue is.

I dislike misinformation. That's my "single issue". It just so happens that there's a lot of misinformation about Nelson. I don't disagree with the truth.

What goes by the wayside is, I back up my attempts to correct misinformation with examples.


Perhaps we realise that you dont like "mis-information"............but we definately realise that you only dont like mis-information about Nellie.

Theres plenty of it on this board, everyone is guilty of it but you only respond to Nellie related stuff..............hence the assumption that you have some weird old man crush on Nellie.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3040
» Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:32 pm
bigstrads wrote:
David wrote:
uptempo wrote:David is a single issue poster; he is in love with Nelson and will attack anyone who questions Nelson's coaching.

You're right that I'm a single issue poster, but you're wrong about what the issue is.

I dislike misinformation. That's my "single issue". It just so happens that there's a lot of misinformation about Nelson. I don't disagree with the truth.

What goes by the wayside is, I back up my attempts to correct misinformation with examples.


Perhaps we realise that you dont like "mis-information"............but we definately realise that you only dont like mis-information about Nellie.

Theres plenty of it on this board, everyone is guilty of it but you only respond to Nellie related stuff..............hence the assumption that you have some weird old man crush on Nellie.

have to agree...the warriors board: We put the mis in information :mrgreen:

on another note...seems like most everybody is liking the Hendrix pick at 49...does not sound like someone who has the kind of skill set Nelson likes (sort of a Diogu-Powe profile), so I wonder if he will get the minutes. On the other hand, I am sure Nelson o.k'd this pick...Randolph (I almost typed Wright) seems to have major raves except for his wraith-like physique. I am guessing that with all of this, they will package Harrington with someone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 25 guests