Top 10 Reasons Golden State Missed The Playoffs

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Rookie
» Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:12 am
SJax's Suspension is by far number 1. No way in hell are we starting the season 0-6 without him.

Hall of Famer
» Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:41 am
Nice analysis, 32, but I would have added another reason, and as the #1: We don't play any friggin' D.

When you can't stop your rival from scoring, you have to always score a ton of points to win... and we can't play our best offense night after night.

All Star
» Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:24 am
TMC wrote:Nice analysis, 32, but I would have added another reason, and as the #1: We don't play any friggin' D.

When you can't stop your rival from scoring, you have to always score a ton of points to win... and we can't play our best offense night after night.

TMC, I 100% agree with you. The team plays poor perimeter defense, poor weakside/help defense, and worst of all the team plays a lazy man-to-man defense, especially when trying to defend the pick and roll. Nelson also incorporates a zone defense, which basically ensures that the team, already weak in this department, will lose the rebounding battle.

The poorest excuse that people make for Nelson and his team's defensive deficiencies is when people try to rationalize poor defense by saying that Nelson coaches his teams to outscore their opponents. With the exception of Stephen Jackson, who wills himself thru sheer determination, hard work, and pride to play lock down defense, this Warrior team, especially the coach, has no commitment to playing tough defense. We cannot expect this team to play tough defense if Nelson does not teach, demand, nor expect his teams to play tough defense.

Rookie
» Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:18 am
I shorten my list to five (sorry):

5) Players rotation. Nellie did not play the bench enough. Okay, maybe he had no SENSATIONAL players there, but many of them (belinelli and wright over all) surely deserved much more minutes.
The Warriors ended the season breathless, because the starters played 40 mins all the season and people like Baron were struggling in the last ten games, expecially in the key games against Denver and Dallas.

4) Jackson suspension in the first games. That's just maths: I believe that with S-Jax from the beginning we would have won at least 2-3 games more, which is exactly what separates the Dubs from the 7th-8th spot.

3) Western conference. Man, if Oakland was in Maine the Warriors would have played against Lebron with the home court advantage!! :-)

2) Lack of defense. We gave up too many points in too many games and you can't just go on always just trying to score more than the opponents. It just doesn't work. I remember awful games when awful opponents were on fire (Chicago, Washington) and they were scoring ALWAYS.

1) Size. This is strictly linked to point 2). Dubs are just too small to defend on NBA's big men and if something goes wrong on offense the loss is unavoidable. Biedrins is too skinny for D and not an option for inside offense. Harrington is not a good inside defender nor an inside offender. In this sense the Webber move made sense, despite the terrible result.
Do we need to slow down the pace and try to land a big man?

Starting Lineup
» Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:32 am
Here are the top factors.

1. No commitment to defense (we went on a winning streak last year by holding teams to under 100 points)
2. Harrington, Jackson and Azu are lousy to mediocre outside shooters .. the entire philosophy of driving and dishing for threes is predicated on actually hitting outside shots
3. Nellie's refusal to develop a low post game
4. The arrogance of dumping our best player of 7-8 years and expecting to make the playoffs or replace his production with a d-leaguer
4a. The fact that Dunleavy ... in the lines Arenas, Jamison, Rafer Alston had a career year after Nellie and BD shows that we have a coaching system that does not maximize talent ... Pops, Sloan, Philip are elite coaches, Nellie despite last years miracle is a retread ... the elite get the most out of their talent (Nellie ships them for CBAer that overachieve and falter in the playoffs)
5. We lost out on the big sweepstakes (Gasol, KG) There is a saying you can't coach 7 ft. Does Mully and Nelly have a Steve Kerr - DAntoni relationship or does Nelly make all the calls? The entire league know Kerr shoved Shaq down D Antoni throat because he knew full court basketball with no D will not win playoff games.

By the way, stopping using the Fisher call or suspension for excuses. We have played poorly during the stretch run and would of limped to the playoffs at best.... losing to Seattle and playing no D sends management a message that our leaders (BD, Jackson) mail it in when they feel like it doesn't matter. Jackson was a good defender, but right now, he does not defend (maybe its the zone) but players like Bowen, Battier are actual legit defend first players that can annoy premier scorers to no end, and gee their teams didn't struggle to make the playoffs.

All Star
» Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:29 am
I really enjoyed the post 32. Very well thought out and well written. It is unanimous that everyone but Don Nelson felt that Wright deserved more playing time. I think that is a little more than being stubborn. Not just us fans but media and cnnouncers (Fitz and Barnett). Nelson is not the only one that knows basketball. He was definitely wrong here, a major misjudge of talent.

The Jackson thing. First of all, if you going to miss a key player, you want it to be as early in the season as possible. How is his missing 7 games by suspension any different from him missing 7 games by injury? Most teams prepare to compensate for players missing games during the season. If you put this down as one of the main reasons why the Warriors missed the playoffs then they must have been seriously fragile from the beginning. I don't quite by that, plus they had 75 other games to make up the absence.

You didn't have on your list the number of lost games to the depleted Chicago, Minnesota, and Sacramento teams. you can even add Charlotte and Atlanta. i think all of those were bigger reasons than jackson missing a few games at the beginning of the season. Just my opinion, thanks.

I also like to add that Nelson retarded Wright and Bellinelli's learning curve. he wasted their rookie season. Whereas the Hofords, Landry's, Durrant's, Noah's, etc. picked up valuable NBA experience, Wright and Bell will essentially be in another rookie year. Too bad.

Again, good post 32.

All Star
» Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:19 am
Great analysis.

When Nelson was hired I know I had mixed feelings. I loved his style of play and all that.

I was worried about his history with players and others. Even though he is extremely media-friendly and a friend of KNBR, a lot of smoke was still coming in under the door.

That door guards a very different room.

Franchise Player
» Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:12 am
The Coooach wrote: It is unanimous that everyone but Don Nelson felt that Wright deserved more playing time.

Well, Nelson and our very own David :)

» Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:30 am
The Coooach wrote:The Jackson thing. First of all, if you going to miss a key player, you want it to be as early in the season as possible. How is his missing 7 games by suspension any different from him missing 7 games by injury? Most teams prepare to compensate for players missing games during the season. If you put this down as one of the main reasons why the Warriors missed the playoffs then they must have been seriously fragile from the beginning. I don't quite by that, plus they had 75 other games to make up the absence.

Fair point, its definitely counting pennies to complain about Jackson's suspension, seeing as it was so long ago and the Warriors definitely had their own destiny in their hands all season long... but even then, imagine if we did have Jackson and didn't start the season on a 6-game losing streak? We lost out of the playoffs by one game. I think 7 games without Jackson makes a huge difference, in that context. Even if we'd only beaten the teams we were suppose to beat (Dallas, Cleveland, the Clippers), we'd be finishing ahead of Denver.

The Coooach wrote:You didn't have on your list the number of lost games to the depleted Chicago, Minnesota, and Sacramento teams. you can even add Charlotte and Atlanta. i think all of those were bigger reasons than jackson missing a few games at the beginning of the season. Just my opinion, thanks.

Actually, that was #5 on my list: Insufficient Preparation. Again, a coaching mistake.

The Coooach wrote:I also like to add that Nelson retarded Wright and Bellinelli's learning curve. he wasted their rookie season. Whereas the Hofords, Landry's, Durrant's, Noah's, etc. picked up valuable NBA experience, Wright and Bell will essentially be in another rookie year. Too bad.

And the thing is, you'll get Nelson supporters to claim that those kids "weren't ready last year" because of how green they'll look when they actually do get consistent NBA minutes. Everyone makes mistakes. Everyone has to learn the pro game. And you only do that with floor time. Wright and Belinelli will make some youngster mistakes next year... and its too bad we didn't get that out of their system this season. With a stronger, overall, roster, we probably would have been able to have our cake and eat it too: increasing our number of weapons, while making the playoffs with more overall talent in the rotation. Its too bad Nellie wasn't of that mindset.

Rookie
» Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:56 am
Nobody in the warriors play defense. Not putting beli cause he is weak on defense is not a reason. He does not harm the w's on the defensive side. Baron davis does not play defense, biedrins does not play defense, jax does not play defense. Might as well go with somebody who can shoot. Sorry still upset. I'll move on.

All Star
» Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:58 am
Very well put 32, but as TMC (and a few others) said, zero Defense was the one item missing from the list.

» Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:47 pm
I'd simply argue the no defense claim.

For as much as Don Nelson played to stereotype, regarding his bias against big men and rookies, I thought the team was more than competent regarding perimeter defense. Our inside D was ice cold, sans Biedrins, but our fast break was sparked by hectic, frustrating perimeter defense. Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson, Kelenna Azubuike, Mickael Pietrus... they all played defense at an above-average level and, more often than not, you could find at least 2 (if not 3, or all 4) in the game at all times.

Hall of Famer
» Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:14 pm
32 wrote:I'd simply argue the no defense claim.

For as much as Don Nelson played to stereotype, regarding his bias against big men and rookies, I thought the team was more than competent regarding perimeter defense. Our inside D was ice cold, sans Biedrins, but our fast break was sparked by hectic, frustrating perimeter defense. Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson, Kelenna Azubuike, Mickael Pietrus... they all played defense at an above-average level and, more often than not, you could find at least 2 (if not 3, or all 4) in the game at all times.

Well, the perimeter D wasn't a total disaster. I also think Jax played decent D, and Azu and Baron also did at times, but Monta is a liability on D, and our insde D was laughable. Bottom case, we're one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

All Star
» Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:49 pm
I have so many mixed feelings on this subject.

I think the top 3 reasons we missed the playoffs are pretty simple:

1) Consistency. The Dubs (especially BD and SJax) show up for certain games and look horrible in others. Happened all year long. We had great victories and horrible losses.

2) SJax missing the first six games (although we likely would have lost to the Jazz twice regardless, especially since Monta was playing horrible).

3) The West. I honestly think the 8 teams above us ARE better.

With respect to 32, I think Nelson is the only reason we've improved this much and saying we missed the playoffs because of his decisions is hard to swallow. His odd approach turned a pathetic team into a fun as hell, run and gun group of guys who came close to winning 50 this year. That's pretty damn cool.

» Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:28 pm
No, a key trade with Indiana turned the team around. We were heading towards another playoff-less season before we robbed the Pacers. That's Mullin's doing, not Nellie's.

With all due respect, I lost faith in the Nelson way a month and a half ago. Its all well and good to confuse the other teams with matchup problems... but when you flat out REFUSE to play big men or rookies, you'll always have the same problems everyone else has described. Nelson played big men that fit two stereotypes: 7-feet guards, aka Harrington & Croshere, who could shoot and pass... and garbage players, aka Biedrins and Mbenga, who rebounded and defended without asking for anything on offense. Talented big men who play the post game, such as Diogu, Wright, and O'Bryant, were ignored from the very beginning. That's wrong.