Larry Brown Available

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Starting Lineup
» Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:47 pm
I think it been proven that if Nelson is not coaching the Warriors, they never finish anywhere near .500 let alone have a shot at the playoffs...

All Star
» Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:37 am
uptempo wrote:Guys:

It looks like the Warriors might have a window of opportunity to make an upgrade on the sidelines this off season. With Brandon Wright, a Tar Heel, needing coaching and development, Larry Brown might be just perfect for him.

Yuk. I don't like that idea at all. Sure, Nelson does some puzzling things, but does that mean we fans have to watch boring basketball as some sort of punishment? It wasn't our fault!

All Star
» Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:12 pm
carlgo wrote:

It looks like the Warriors might have a window of opportunity to make an upgrade on the sidelines this off season. With Brandon Wright, a Tar Heel, needing coaching and development, Larry Brown might be just perfect for him.

Yuk. I don't like that idea at all. Sure, Nelson does some puzzling things, but does that mean we fans have to watch boring basketball as some sort of punishment? It wasn't our fault!

I, too, like to watch an entertaining brand of basketball; however, you would think that the second highest paid coach in the league would at least have a coherent playing time strategy for developing his prized new rookie big man who was acquired in a big off season trade.

All Star
» Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:29 pm
uptempo wrote:
carlgo wrote:

I, too, like to watch an entertaining brand of basketball; however, you would think that the second highest paid coach in the league would at least have a coherent playing time strategy for developing his prized new rookie big man who was acquired in a big off season trade.

Ideally the coach would keep the fast offense, use the bench and develop the young guys. These do not have to cancel each other out. In fact, it is impossible to use the fast style all year and through the play-offs unless the everyone s used.

All Star
» Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:41 pm
carlgo wrote:
uptempo wrote:
carlgo wrote:

Ideally the coach would keep the fast offense, use the bench and develop the young guys. These do not have to cancel each other out. In fact, it is impossible to use the fast style all year and through the play-offs unless the everyone s used.

Agreed.

All Star
» Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:01 pm
32 wrote:Players that Larry Brown would trade:

Baron Davis (won't get along)
Al Harrington (not enough defense)
Monta Ellis (not enough defense)
Andris Biedrins (not big enough to play C for Larry)
Matt Barnes (won't get along)
Brandan Wright (not big enough to play PF for Larry)
Marco Belinelli (not enough defense)

Basically, Brown can use Jackson, Pietrus, and Azubuike from our current roster. If you'd like to explode the core of this team and go through yet ANOTHER rebuilding stage, hiring Larry Brown would be the first step.

i agree to a certain degree. i think he'd keep ellis and try to make him the next AI. and he would make biedrins a PF, acquiring someone else to play center. and he would keep brandan wright as biedrins' back up. other than that, you're spot on with everyone else, IMO.

i would be mad if we hired larry brown. simply because, like 32 mentioned, it would mean we start over and starting over this soon would be way too frustrating. i really dont think we need such drastic changes as hiring a coach with the complete opposite style of coaching as our current system. if anything, we make small tweaks here and there, and we are back in it.

i understand that people wanted the warriors to make the playoffs this year, and i also understand the frustration that some people are going through. but seriously (i am really looking for answers), do people REALLY think that making the playoffs every year defines success in the league? i mean, yes, it is a big part of success, and the ultimate goal is to win the championship, and failing to make the playoffs means they wont get the chance at the ultimate goal...but how can anyone seriously be disappointed in this season? a 48/49 win season that any other year could have gotten us home court advantage in the playoffs. the most wins we've had since we won 50 in 93-94.

Rookie
» Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:00 am
It's fun to talk about these scenarios but the chances of anything materializing with Brown are extremely remote. Nelly will likely be back, and if he leaves the Warriors will probably hire from within(K. Smart).

Hell I don't even like Brown(arrogant, mercenary, tends to wear out his welcome) as much as Nelly but there's a chance he would make the Warriors a better team. He's a damned good coach.

All Star
» Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:40 am
Narcotico wrote:It's fun to talk about these scenarios but the chances of anything materializing with Brown are extremely remote. Nelly will likely be back, and if he leaves the Warriors will probably hire from within(K. Smart).

Hell I don't even like Brown(arrogant, mercenary, tends to wear out his welcome) as much as Nelly but there's a chance he would make the Warriors a better team. He's a damned good coach.

You are correct with your above statements.

I, too, prefer Nelson's public persona (the bluntness, honesty, and the drunken ineberation all make Don Nelson much more human than the more polished and 'slick' coaches in the league).

It is about having a better team, and let's face it, Don Nelson will never coach a team into the finals. His style of coaching makes for fun teams to watch, but there is a reason why in 30 years of coaching that his teams never advance very far into the playoffs: small ball combined with bad defense and weak rebounding make for early exits.

While Larry Brown is wishful thinking (although both Brown and Cohan are neighbors with summer homes in the Hamptons) for people who want this Warrior team to compete for a championship, Don Nelson's stubborness in clinging onto a unidimensional style of basketball will forever cause this team to not advance beyond an early exit in the playoffs (the team would be lucky if it even got into the playoffs now).

All Star
» Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:41 am
TMC wrote:
bada wrote:oh god, PLEASE NO!

Not saying he is not a good coach but while his teams win most of the time, they are so damn boring to watch.

Maybe this is not a popular opinion, but I like to be entertained. Sure winning is great, but I love the game of basketball and there are so many teams out there that dont really play "basketball".

If Nelson does not come back, I want to see a coach that is willing to use his whole team not someone like Brown who uses as short of rotation as Nellie.

I dont want his ego either.

I like Brown. He's one of my favorite coaches and would love to have him coaching the Warriors.

BUT... Bada is right. If you want entertainment above winning, Brown is not a good option. And he's not a lock to win it all either

You got that right - just ask the Knicks...

Rookie
» Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:18 am
coltraning wrote:
TMC wrote:
bada wrote:oh god, PLEASE NO!

Not saying he is not a good coach but while his teams win most of the time, they are so damn boring to watch.

Maybe this is not a popular opinion, but I like to be entertained. Sure winning is great, but I love the game of basketball and there are so many teams out there that dont really play "basketball".

If Nelson does not come back, I want to see a coach that is willing to use his whole team not someone like Brown who uses as short of rotation as Nellie.

I dont want his ego either.

I like Brown. He's one of my favorite coaches and would love to have him coaching the Warriors.

BUT... Bada is right. If you want entertainment above winning, Brown is not a good option. And he's not a lock to win it all either

You got that right - just ask the Knicks...

It may be a generational issue with Brown and the New-School players as opposed with Nellie where it may be more of a scheme and too much infatuation with gimmicks.

With a team composed of players like the roster of the Spurs, Jazz, and even Detroit, Larry Brown seems like the perfect coach. Much the way that Billups had blossomed under Brown, Baron Davis may actually improve as a point guard under Brown, too.

I do see how Nellie is not the guy who will take the Warriors beyond possibly just squeezing into the playoffs, however, I also see how his brand of basketball gets people to watch the team, too.

Of course Brown is a superior to Nellie, but the likelihood of Nellie leaving and Brown stepping in is very low.

All Star
» Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:59 am
Now Brown is supposedly interested in Stanford. He will want a lot of money and will move on after a year or two, probably leaving the Stanford program with sanctions as well.

Remember when the PAC 10 was an exciting uptempo conference?

All Star
» Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:11 am
With Sam Vincent fired recently as HC of the Bobcats, this might be a better fit for Brown. This is in addition to rumors that Johnny Dawkins will be the next HC for Stanford.

So no, brown most likely will not be a candidate for our next HC.

All Star
» Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:39 am
I would love to be a fly on the wall listening in on a Mullins/Nelson conversation right now. It would be difficult to imagine them not discussing defense, rebounding, and getting a couple of big men.
They are well aware of their gaps.

This has been said before many times. I would argue that the reason Nelson has not made it deep in the playoffs is because he never had the right team to do it. He's never coached a Kobe, or MJ or had a team assembled to win like that. He's always taken sub par teams and made them contenders. This team is his last chance, and it's probably one of his best chances.

All Star
» Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:24 am
Jackattack wrote:I would love to be a fly on the wall listening in on a Mullins/Nelson conversation right now. It would be difficult to imagine them not discussing defense, rebounding, and getting a couple of big men.
They are well aware of their gaps.

"I got you maybe the third best player in the draft, the best Euro player who probably won't go 6 for 25 very often like your favorite players do, a 7.2 center, and a 7-foot athletic center who can run and score, not to mention a couple of power forwards. All you have done is sit them on the bench or chase them away. What tf do you want, anyway?"

"Hey, I did use them when I had to, but everyone could see that they sucked."

"Well, actuall a lot of fans thought..."

"You dumb bastard".

All Star
» Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:51 am
::lol:

edited to add: "You dumb bastard, want another scotch? or don't you drink anymore mully?" :mrgreen: