Larry Brown Available

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:19 am
Guys:

It looks like the Warriors might have a window of opportunity to make an upgrade on the sidelines this off season. With Brandon Wright, a Tar Heel, needing coaching and development, Larry Brown might be just perfect for him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3327660

Report: Brown wants coaching job next season -- college or pro
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Larry Brown wants back in.

The Philadelphia 76ers executive vice president, who has been out of coaching for two years since being fired by the New York Knicks, said Wednesday that he hopes to land a college or NBA head coaching job next season, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

"I've got to figure out if I can get a coaching job," Brown said. "I want to get back so bad. I'm so bored."

Brown, a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame who has coached teams to the NCAA Final Four and the NBA Finals, said it doesn't matter whether the next opportunity is in college or the pros. He just wants to be back in the mix.

"Mo [Cheeks] has been great to me and allowed me to get involved," Brown said of the Sixers' coach, according to the Inquirer. "I just miss it. I don't miss the games so much, but I miss being around the coaches and the players. I still have something to offer ... After my last experience [in New York], I just want to go where I can do a better job and move forward."

Brown, hired by the 76ers in January of 2007, has been helping Cheeks evaluate players. He has also been a regular presence at Villanova practices, where he's been helping out Wildcats coach Jay Wright.

Franchise Player
» Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:24 am
oh god, PLEASE NO!

Not saying he is not a good coach but while his teams win most of the time, they are so damn boring to watch.

Maybe this is not a popular opinion, but I like to be entertained. Sure winning is great, but I love the game of basketball and there are so many teams out there that dont really play "basketball".

If Nelson does not come back, I want to see a coach that is willing to use his whole team not someone like Brown who uses as short of rotation as Nellie.

I dont want his ego either.

Rookie
» Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:48 am
I want someone who would put a bigger emphasis on playing defense. I don't like Nelson mentality to if we are down put more scorers on the floor instead of playing solid defense. I wouldn't mind Nelson back if he changes his philosophy to play more defense which can still let us have our up tempo game but i doubt he changes. We rely on our scoring 100% and when we can't score we can't play defense to keep us in the game.

Hall of Famer
» Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:18 pm
bada wrote:oh god, PLEASE NO!

Not saying he is not a good coach but while his teams win most of the time, they are so damn boring to watch.

Maybe this is not a popular opinion, but I like to be entertained. Sure winning is great, but I love the game of basketball and there are so many teams out there that dont really play "basketball".

If Nelson does not come back, I want to see a coach that is willing to use his whole team not someone like Brown who uses as short of rotation as Nellie.

I dont want his ego either.

I like Brown. He's one of my favorite coaches and would love to have him coaching the Warriors.

BUT... Bada is right. If you want entertainment above winning, Brown is not a good option. And he's not a lock to win it all either, so I'm sure there will be lots of people that would rather watch entertaining games than watching the boring, slow, defensive and under control outings that Brown prefers.

Another thing to consider is what he would do with out roster. I'm pretty sure he'd like to tweak the roster, and I certainly can't see him satisfied with Baron as the focus of the team. Actually, I would expect lots of changes in our roster. And we'd have to endure a couple of tough seasons to have the kind of team Larry enjoys to coach.

Starting Lineup
» Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:26 pm
Give the team to Keith Smart... He'll do a great job!

I WANT SMART!

All Star
» Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:44 pm
What's wrong with tweaking the roster? The Warriors have no allstars. Baron was close. Monta maybe in the future. Every team ahead of the
Warriors have allstars. I agree with Gary Radnich. if jackson is your number 2 or number 3 player, you're not very good. It's not the bench that needs tweaking, it's the starters. Maybe Brandon Wright is that tweak.

Rookie
» Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:42 pm
Nelson just got that extension.... he will be back.

bench was worse this year than last year. I agree team needs some tweakin, but come on we are a better team this year than last year... it will be disappointing if we do not make the playoffs BUT the season was soooo much fun in my own opinion. GO WARRIORS!

» Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:51 pm
Players that Larry Brown would trade:

Baron Davis (won't get along)
Al Harrington (not enough defense)
Monta Ellis (not enough defense)
Andris Biedrins (not big enough to play C for Larry)
Matt Barnes (won't get along)
Brandan Wright (not big enough to play PF for Larry)
Marco Belinelli (not enough defense)

Basically, Brown can use Jackson, Pietrus, and Azubuike from our current roster. If you'd like to explode the core of this team and go through yet ANOTHER rebuilding stage, hiring Larry Brown would be the first step.

Starting Lineup
» Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:52 pm
32 wrote:Players that Larry Brown would trade:

Basically, Brown can use Jackson, Pietrus, and Azubuike from our current roster. If you'd like to explode the core of this team and go through yet ANOTHER rebuilding stage, hiring Larry Brown would be the first step.
that is so true people can be so blind sometimes

Rookie
» Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:54 pm

I think some guys on this list could fit on a Brown team under the right circumstances, but certainly not all of them....changes would definitely occur. IMO Biedrins would be ok under Brown, and any coach in the league would take Ellis no questions asked. Wright is still a baby and shows great promise as a weak side defender. Also Brown has coached Harrington before in Indiana. He might even dig Barnes for his hard-nosed attitude. Also, all of these guys would be better defenders with a coaching staff that emphasized such things.

That said, your general notion that Brown would surely remake the team in his own image is correct, and it's indisputable that Baron+Brown would be a disaster.

Starting Lineup
» Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:02 pm
Narcotico wrote:

I think some guys on this list could fit on a Brown team under the right circumstances, but certainly not all of them....changes would definitely occur. IMO Biedrins would be ok under Brown, and any coach in the league would take Ellis no questions asked. Wright is still a baby and shows great promise as a weak side defender. Also Brown has coached Harrington before in Indiana. He might even dig Barnes for his hard-nosed attitude. Also, all of these guys would be better defenders with a coaching staff that emphasized such things.

That said, your general notion that Brown would surely remake the team in his own image is correct, and it's indisputable that Baron+Brown would be a disaster.
intelligent first post got to give you props

Starting Lineup
» Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:28 pm
TALKING ABOUT GETTING RID OF NELSON IS CRAZY...

Starting Lineup
» Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:30 pm
loyaltyisacurse wrote:TALKING ABOUT GETTING RID OF NELSON IS CRAZY...
i concur I love nelson but he is 68 and might retire this year if he does we got to get a new coach

All Star
» Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:44 pm
oaklandfnatic wrote:
Narcotico wrote:

intelligent first post got to give you props

Coming back to Oakland would bring Larry Brown's professional career back full circle; he played point guard on the ABA champion Oaks team in the 1968-1969 (Rick Barry was the star teammate on that Oaks team and Brown's roomate on the road).

Baron Davis would probably excel under Brown, as did Chauncey Billups, when Brown had coached Billups in Detroit.

Most interesting would be how Ellis would now have a coach who would optimize Ellis's unique abilities as an off guard and have Ellis running and brushing off of a series of elaborate screens, which would both free up Ellis for open looks as well as tire opposing teams' defenders. Think back to how Richard Hamilton, Allen Iverson, and Reggie Miller were utilized when playing in Brown's offensive attack. All three were lethal and put the fear of God into opposing teams defenses.

The player who would really thrive under Brown would be Brandon Wright, a multi-skilled player who would probably be groomed to become the West Coast version of Tayshaun Prince.

Al Harrington would play much like Derek McKey had in Indianapolis as a solid utility guy playing both forward positions.

The player who would have the most demands placed upon him would be Biedrens. He would be expected to come into camp in much better shape (stronger, more stamina, etc.) and would have to re-learn the position, especially when it comes to squaring up and setting the perfect pick as well as to be able to have a strong go-to move while playing on the block.

Eventhough he is my favorite player on this roster, the one player whom Mullin might have to consider trading would be Stephen Jackson. He is currently at the top of his game and would command the most value in the open market.

With Larry Brown, this Warrior team would be expected to play tenacious defense, make fewer turnovers, and also value every possession on offense.

While I find Nelson's interviews both funny and even insightful, we Bay Area fans deserve to have a team that is coached by a guy who is focused on winning and not just entertaining.

Starting Lineup
» Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:42 pm
I'm sure Larry Brown wouldn't do like he did in his last job in NY.