Captain Jack calls out Pietrus

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Founder
» Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:17 am
From SFGate:

Again, I could only get some of this into tomorrow's paper, but Stephen Jackson made some pretty critical -- and spot-on -- remarks after the Nuggets loss that deserve highlighting.

First, about the need for someone outside the Warriors' go-to trio to contribute:

"We got to get somebody that you don't expect to show up to show up some nights. Teams are really starting to play us on our guys. They want to take away my quick three-pointers ... they try to take Monta's left away.

"We need somebody on the bench to get us going, to help us these last couple of games, because that's what we had last year. We had Matt (Barnes) playing well, (Mickael Pietrus) playing well, and we needed that. And that's what we need now."

And second, about how much harder that is with Pietrus' continued injury absence:

"Hopefully he sucks it up and comes back and thinks about the team and fights the injury a little for us. But at the same time, we got to go with what we got, and I feel confident enough that we can get the job done."

Bottom line? Pietrus is a notoriously slow healer, and that doesn't exactly stack up well when Jack has played hurt most of the year, Baron Davis has made it through 72 games and counting, and Andris Biedrins only missed six after having his appendix removed.

The Warriors aren't expecting Pietrus to play tonight, though he will be re-evaluated before the Mavs game. If he doesn't go, that will be the fourth straight game he sits out, and it won't exactly help his standing with his teammates.

Think of it this way: The Warriors are trying to make the same kind of finishing push as last season ... only they don't have Jason Richardson, they don't really have Barnes, and they may or may not have Pietrus. That's a tough, tough task.

Franchise Player
» Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:38 am
Thanks Hobbes, interesting to read S-Jax's thoughts.

It is painful to watch now you see that people are dialling in on our big three and even though they are still getting there points............it still isnt enough because of the lack of input elsewhere.

So a strained groin is un-pleasant...........but still, that article is right, Baron has been banged up ALL year, with all kinds of different braces/straps on a nightly basis.........S-Jax has played through his problems...........Beans and his SUGERY!............plus, weve all heard of many players playing through injuries similar or worse.

If one of your team-mates is coming out and saying this kind of thing, then you know that it isnt all that serious and S-Jax wants to call the guy out.............hmmm, although I suppose Pietrus doesnt want to jeopardize his All Star career huh? :roll: and of course, his big summer contract.

You know what, I have enjoyed watching games so much more without him in there..........regardless of whether we lose, Id rather see Azu getting his swingman minutes, Brandan and Croshere get his PF minutes.

Founder
» Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:45 am
Sounds like his teammates think MP is more concerned about his impending free-agency status than sucking it up and helping the team. Jack has played hurt all year so I can see where he's coming from.

Franchise Player
» Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:45 am
Watch out.... this is probably racist against the Frenchmen. :roll: :wink:

Nice to see these players telling it like it is.

All Star
» Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:13 am
i don't see it as something too big of a problem - scoring. they did score good against denver. andris stepped it up. well, azu couldn't make a shot. but scoring was allright. so if he calls out pietrus, it's more because of the defensive end. they can still pour points without problem. problem lies in that doing it, they don't get it done defensively. that's about it. somebody has to step it up (DEFENSIVELY). 112 points is good enough for offense. but kmart making 30 points is worse than bad. period.

All Star
» Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:28 am
You really can't be effective with a strained groin!!! Just look at how Kobe played against the W's when he came up with the groin pull...He'd hurt the W's more than help them out...

Plus, his game is all about running and dunking...So, I really don't see how he can gut this out...

All Star
» Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:46 am
Our success rides on Harrington at the moment. If he can be a become a consistent scorer for the rest of the season I like r chances to move up the standings. Azu has been our best bench player this year so he cant have those crappy shooting nights again. Our bench really does need to start stepping up or we could miss the playoffs all together.

All Star
» Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:50 am
The answer is in Brandan Wright. Let the players and coaching staff continue to overlook him. It's only hurting them in the long run anyways. I hope B. Wright finds another home after this season where he's appreciated.

» Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:03 am
speakonitgod wrote:The answer is in Brandan Wright. Let the players and coaching staff continue to overlook him. It's only hurting them in the long run anyways. I hope B. Wright finds another home after this season where he's appreciated.

... you DO know that Nelson and the entire coaching staff has been raving about Wright all season and that they've been quoted, numerous times, saying that just because Brandan is not apart of this season's plans doesn't mean they've given up on him and that they see him as a big, big part of the Warriors future, right...?

All Star
» Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:20 am
So I guess that means that we'll see more of BW when Nellie retires and Harrington contract is up???

Franchise Player
» Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:29 am
J-Rich wrote:So I guess that means that we'll see more of BW when Nellie retires and Harrington contract is up???

We will see more of Brandan when he has the strength and mental attitude to compete against the bigs of this league on a consistent basis............he seems like a nice guy to me, a gentle giant, so until he bulks up and is prepared to seriously mix it up inside, he will sit.

All Star
» Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:03 pm
32 wrote:
speakonitgod wrote:The answer is in Brandan Wright. Let the players and coaching staff continue to overlook him. It's only hurting them in the long run anyways. I hope B. Wright finds another home after this season where he's appreciated.

... you DO know that Nelson and the entire coaching staff has been raving about Wright all season and that they've been quoted, numerous times, saying that just because Brandan is not apart of this season's plans doesn't mean they've given up on him and that they see him as a big, big part of the Warriors future, right...?

Yea. I read the news articles and I know how they feel about B. Wright. I guess its the same way they treated Monta when he first came. Its just so frustrating that Nellie and company are looking for answers to make it to the post season and Wright in my opinion is the solution. They keep going to Barnes or Harrington or Croshere when I think Wright can outplay all of them. Sure he may not have the mental toughness you guys speak of but why not give the kid a legit chance?

Rookie
» Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:04 pm
Our offense is pretty good already we need to get some defensive stops when we need it. Azu is the only w that plays good defense on his man even though he does not score much. See how he follows his man wherever he goes then jump on his opponents face when they take a jumper. Thats how he stopped kobe he did not let kobe take a good look at the rim when taking jumpshots. With bwright we seem to stay with the other team when he is in there even though he does not score much too.

Rookie
» Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:37 pm
gsweastbay wrote:Our offense is pretty good already we need to get some defensive stops when we need it. Azu is the only w that plays good defense on his man even though he does not score much. See how he follows his man wherever he goes then jump on his opponents face when they take a jumper. Thats how he stopped kobe he did not let kobe take a good look at the rim when taking jumpshots. With bwright we seem to stay with the other team when he is in there even though he does not score much too.

well put

All Star
» Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:49 pm
Part of the reason Wright fell to 8th in the draft was because teams didn't expect him to be able to contribute this year. I still see him as having the 3rd most potential out of everyone in the draft. Also, when he was working out with teams he didn't want to workout against other players which shows he has to change his mental attidute a little bit. In two years I see Wright starting dominant.