Biedrins: Still The Weak Link.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Starting Lineup
» Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:23 pm
Totally gutless on the Defensive end, shying away from contact, consistently out of position, and easily over powered.

He is solid enough on the offensive end, but his is getting schooled by the solid, but by no means a beast, Roni Turiaf. He needs to man up if the W's want to make real waives in the Playoffs.

Founder
» Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:26 pm
He's been disappointing lately. Not sure if it's because he still not 100% or some other reason. He looked lost tonight.

Rookie
» Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:31 pm
i think part of it was foul trouble, but still, the fouls are his fault

All Star
» Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:35 pm
I think Andres is like the rest of the Warriors, tired. He's been playing short -handed all season without another big besides him because nelson won't play Wright. every night he is the only shot blocker. :D

All Star
» Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:43 pm
Its hard to play defense when you're getting fouls called on you every time you jump.

Franchise Player
» Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:52 pm
gogogadget wrote:i think part of it was foul trouble, but still, the fouls are his fault

Not necessarily true. The rest of the team leaves him out to dry, letting their men go by them, so Biedrins has to foul because he is the last line of defense. He plays hesitant because of it. Just something to keep in mind.

And, Speak, like the new sig. :wink:

All Star
» Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:03 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
gogogadget wrote:i think part of it was foul trouble, but still, the fouls are his fault

Not necessarily true. The rest of the team leaves him out to dry, letting their men go by them, so Biedrins has to foul because he is the last line of defense. He plays hesitant because of it. Just something to keep in mind.

And, Speak, like the new sig. :wink:

i like your take sf3

All Star
» Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:44 am
This is a great topic for a thread.

All of the above comments are true with Biedrens:
He plays out of position.
He is tired.
Perimeter defenders do not play well.
He is tentative at times.

Tonight, he just happened to play against a team with a man possessed, Lamar Odom; a hard worker Rony Turiaf; and a better coached team, the Lakers.

Biedrens does more positives (rebounds, blocks shots, rolls to the basket) than negatives (fouls a lot, misses easy shots).

Hall of Famer
» Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:10 am
He hasn't been the same since he came back... I don't know why, but he needs to get his sh*t together, and quickly. The playoffs are coming.

Starting Lineup
» Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:52 am
No one in the NBA is a great individual defender for the most part, but comparing Lamar and Biedrins ( the Warriors perimeter defenders totally get out of position by going for a steal and Biedrins is left to dry.) The Lakers on the other hand have two or three strong side defenders and Lamar gets to shot block weakside. Example, on the BD drive that Kobe got his face smacked ... BD beat Sasha off the dribble but Kobe was waiting for him under the basket and Lamar was coming weakside. Finally, Nellie has no committment to size (the Fakers use Kobe as the 2) while we get a plethora of mini-mes who really don't clog the middle. Our only natural PF on the roster is Wright and we all know he needs to gain the rookie 15. A bigger concern is Harrington who has the worst attributes of a tweener (too slow to guard the perimeter, not enough height or interior passing skills for a legit post big, much worse rebounder than either Wright or Pietrus, too slow and slow reaction time to help out team mates on rotations) and brings little power defensively.

All Star
» Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:23 am
dareedle wrote:No one in the NBA is a great individual defender for the most part, but comparing Lamar and Biedrins ( the Warriors perimeter defenders totally get out of position by going for a steal and Biedrins is left to dry.) The Lakers on the other hand have two or three strong side defenders and Lamar gets to shot block weakside. Example, on the BD drive that Kobe got his face smacked ... BD beat Sasha off the dribble but Kobe was waiting for him under the basket and Lamar was coming weakside. Finally, Nellie has no committment to size (the Fakers use Kobe as the 2) while we get a plethora of mini-mes who really don't clog the middle. Our only natural PF on the roster is Wright and we all know he needs to gain the rookie 15. A bigger concern is Harrington who has the worst attributes of a tweener (too slow to guard the perimeter, not enough height or interior passing skills for a legit post big, much worse rebounder than either Wright or Pietrus, too slow and slow reaction time to help out team mates on rotations) and brings little power defensively.

Great analysis; however, I do see the frontcourt of Biedrens, Harrington, and Jackson as the most optimal for this team. Harrington has the ability to play on the block; however, the Warrior half court offense does not utilize him in any way, except for on the perimeter.

As for strong side defense, Nelson coached teams tend to play matador defense, go for the steal, and then rely on weakside defense. Nelson also likes his teams to use gimmicky zones, which makes defensive rebounding more difficult.

Wright has hops and can play good weak side help defense; however, he does not get much time on the court, and Nelson insists on playing Pietrus at power forward where he is undersized and overmatched.

All Star
» Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:43 am
I thought most everyone was right on this one. So many negative factors that add up to a perfect storm of disappointment at the center position.

The Ws would be way up the playoff ladder if they had a better center, or at least a proper 4 to help out.

AB has been mentioned as a young guy that must be re-signed, but one has to wonder if the Ws shouldn't look around before they spend a lot of money on him.

» Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:52 am
If Nelson started Jackson/Harrington/Wright in the frontcourt, instead of Jackson/Pietrus/Biedrins, we'd plow through every game. Al's a better long ball threat than Pietrus, Wright's a better inside scorer than AB. You'd think it'd be obvious.

Don't feed me other categories, either. Al and Brandan kick the sh*t outta Pietrus and Biedrins when it comes to rebounds, defense, and anything else you wanna throw out there.

All Star
» Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:10 am
32 wrote:If Nelson started Jackson/Harrington/Wright in the frontcourt, instead of Jackson/Pietrus/Biedrins, we'd plow through every game. Al's a better long ball threat than Pietrus, Wright's a better inside scorer than AB. You'd think it'd be obvious.

Don't feed me other categories, either. Al and Brandan kick the sh*t outta Pietrus and Biedrins when it comes to rebounds, defense, and anything else you wanna throw out there.

definitely gotta agree...i very much like the versatility w/ that front line. don't know what it is about nelson and wright. he's just got to let go of his inhibitions w/ wright and throw the kid in the fire..geez.

AB & MP...limited skill sets...perfect for coming off the bench and being put into certain game situations that suit their specific skills...

Rookie
» Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:20 am
aletha33 wrote:
AB & MP...limited skill sets...perfect for coming off the bench and being put into certain game situations that suit their specific skills...

My thoughts exactly.

Beans is what he is.