STEPHEN JACKSON IS OVERATED

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:16 pm
Just a little blurp here that I would like your opinion on. Recently, everyone has been taking a lot of shots at MP. I stated that he doesn't really play enough to affect the outcomes of games. However, S JAX plays way to much. When he is on, the Warriors when, but when he is off they loose. JAX is way to selfish and is a turnover machine. He is a bad rebounder and he still talks too much on the court. Whnever a call doesn't go his way he will actually stop playing and pout on the court. He has done this a number of times. For some reason Nelly will not take him off the court. I believe it is because Nelly is afraid that Jacson will go off. This last game against Charlotte, Jacson was just horrible. Nelson played him the whole game. What's up with that?

Your opinions, please. :agrue:

Franchise Player
» Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:22 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:Just a little blurp here that I would like your opinion on. Recently, everyone has been taking a lot of shots at MP. I stated that he doesn't really play enough to affect the outcomes of games. However, S JAX plays way to much. When he is on, the Warriors win, but when he is off they loose. JAX is way to selfish and is a turnover machine. He is a bad rebounder and he still talks too much on the court. Whenever a call doesn't go his way he will actually stop playing and pout on the court. He has done this a number of times. For some reason Nelly will not take him off the court. I believe it is because Nelly is afraid that Jackson will go off. This last game against New Orleans, Jackson was just horrible. Nelson played him the whole game. What's up with that?

Your opinions, please. :agrue:

Fixed it for you, bud. :wink:

Honestly, I don't think he's overrated. But he does attract a lot of praise from us fans from time to time. Lately, I have had a problem with watching Jackson shooting the ball. He's missing yet he chooses to continue to shoot it. Biedrins was hot all night off the pick and roll so why couldn't he just continue to distribute it to Beans the whole night until he was stopped? He needs to settle down his game and let the game come to him rather than forcing it himself. If he put passing before scoring, he'd be tops in assists per game IMO.

Rookie
» Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:25 pm
He's a leader on this team. He's one of the better players on this team. That's why he is on the court that much. Who would you rather see? He does try too hard sometimes to carry the team. He's not Kobe and he's not LeBron. He's not going to come out and dominate. But he's a very good, unselfish player that with better support where he wouldn't feel the need to carry the team could really flourish.

Franchise Player
» Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:27 pm
PistonsFan73 wrote:He's a leader on this team. He's one of the better players on this team. That's why he is on the court that much. Who would you rather see? He does try too hard sometimes to carry the team. He's not Kobe and he's not LeBron. He's not going to come out and dominate. But he's a very good, unselfish player that with better support where he wouldn't feel the need to carry the team could really flourish.

I agree with that it's just he puts up shots that are unnecessary. IMO, he forces it too much. I don't understand why he has to continue to fire when he's having a terrible shooting night and there are other ways to contribute.

Hall of Famer
» Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:31 pm
sJackson has been shooting alot and missing the last few games but he has been the major difference in the team starting to win. I didn't think he was as big of a difference as he is and truth is he wasn't last season but has stepped up this season

Rookie
» Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:33 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:
I agree with that it's just he puts up shots that are unnecessary. IMO, he forces it too much. I don't understand why he has to continue to fire when he's having a terrible shooting night and there are other ways to contribute.

But that's how this team plays. All players, except for Biedrins, put up shots that are unnecessary, quick shots, bad shots. When they go in - everything is great, when not - well, that's another story.

Franchise Player
» Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:34 pm
Nellie gives him freedom and Jackson takes advantage of it. Who can blame him? I would, too. He does tend to take bad shots, but he is a leader to this team, and he wins more games than he loses for us. He is the reason we are even in the playoff chase. We saw what happened when he was gone. I, for one, am fine with him shooting, because that means that he is playing defense on the other end. Regardless of what his shot is doing, he always plays tough, always plays 100%, and that is all you can ask of him.

Role Player
» Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:35 pm
yup stack jack is very overrated

hes a pretty good defender, but not lockdown quality like alot of warrior fans have been believing him to be

he's a good passer for a tall guy, and occasionally creates some nice plays. but just as often he's the cause for a brickhead turnover and he probably gets blocked more than any other warrior. sometimes he's just so stubborn that he keeps charging into superior defenders and getting his shot blocked repeatedly

he needs to focus more on defense and stop stalling the offense by handling the ball at the top of the key everytime. baron's by far the best handler/passer on the team, he needs to have the ball every possession in order for the team to achieve its best results. and matt barnes shouldnt be handling the ball, period. period. wtf is he doing, running down the court with the ball and dribbling off his own foot (last game)?

jackson cant shoot either. its pretty rare for a guy to shoot well from ft line but abysmally from the field. usually good ft % is a good indicator of actual shooting ability, but jackson just cant shoot worth crap. he got away with it in the past because he would dribble up on the court and launch a 3, swishing it through the net and winning warriors fans over. too bad he's a career 30% 3 pt shooter, cuz now the percentages are catching up to him. the more he launches, the more he misses. if nelson isnt man enough to tell jackson off, then nelson sucks crap as a coach himself

Rookie
» Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:36 pm
How many lockdown defenders are there? I don't think you can name that many.

Role Player
» Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:40 pm
there arent few and there arent many...either way, jackson isnt one of them

he's still a good defender and brings toughness and fire, but too many games i've seen his offensive mistakes cancel out his defensive contributions

Rookie
» Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:45 pm
slicksteven wrote:there arent few and there arent many...either way, jackson isnt one of them

he's still a good defender and brings toughness and fire, but too many games i've seen his offensive mistakes cancel out his defensive contributions

There aren't many Chris Pauls and Chauncey Billupses out there who will get everyone else involved in the game with very limited turnovers. A lot of players make us go mad on the offense, but that's the beauty of the game.

Franchise Player
» Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:46 pm
PistonsFan73 wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:

But that's how this team plays. All players, except for Biedrins, put up shots that are unnecessary, quick shots, bad shots. When they go in - everything is great, when not - well, that's another story.

Yeah, but he's missing. He's shooting shots even though he's going like 4-19 and the team is down by double digits while Harrington is having a far superior day from the field and Biedrins is unstoppable inside for the time being.

Role Player
» Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:48 pm
PistonsFan73 wrote:
slicksteven wrote:there arent few and there arent many...either way, jackson isnt one of them

There aren't many Chris Pauls and Chauncey Billupses out there who will get everyone else involved in the game with very limited turnovers. A lot of players make us go mad on the offense, but that's the beauty of the game.

but we have one of those "guys" in baron davis. too bad stephen likes to play baron's role too often while baron loves to post up too often. baron's good at posting up for a pg, but a pg is a pg and his role should be distributing the ball

All Star
» Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:51 pm
It makes me more angry when Baron keeps shooting when he's having a bad night, because he's our point guard. Baron is supposed to be distributing and instead he seems to think he's playing streetball and that the way to win is go one on one with the other team's best player. Baron's ego is a lot more of a problem in my eyes.

Rookie
» Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:53 pm
Monta had games like that, Harrington did. Happens to all. Everyone is trying from time-to-time to take over games. Maybe Jackson does it more often, trying to be the leader. But that's the identity of this team.