Ruben Patterson?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:56 am
EMan32 wrote:you gotta figure tho...people are complaining about pietrus. why not sign patterson and give pietrus' minutes to him? he comes in 5-10 minutes to play some hard nosed defense and rebound and he's cheap. iono...just a thought.


I'm pretty sure we can still get something for Pietrus. A second rounder, maybe a late first from a contender that still needs a role player (and who hasn't followed closely Pietrus' career so far)... I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:My opinion: He's a basketball player, not a role model. It seems like a lot of Warriors fans are the most up tight fans in the league when it comes to bringing people who aren't spotless princesses to the team, I say take him if we can get him for the minimum, he's a good enough player and a bargain.


You know, pest, the problem with Patterson, other than his off-court troubles (that shouldn't matter much, as he's been free of them lately), is also his behavior as a member of the team. It wasn't that long ago that he demanded playing time over his own teammates... I mean, the concerns are about keeping the chemistry this team has right now.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22191
» Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:16 am
EMan32 wrote:
migya wrote:No need for him. The team is loaded with players that play SG/SF and doesn't need anyone else


patterson is a sf/pf buddy :wink:



Patterson was always a SG/SF
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:18 am
migya wrote:
EMan32 wrote:
migya wrote:No need for him. The team is loaded with players that play SG/SF and doesn't need anyone else


patterson is a sf/pf buddy :wink:



Patterson was always a SG/SF


I'm with EMan here. He played some SG for the Sonics in his first few years, but he doesn't have an outside shot, so they moved him to SF/PF. He's been playing there since then.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22191
» Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:23 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
EMan32 wrote:
migya wrote:No need for him. The team is loaded with players that play SG/SF and doesn't need anyone else


patterson is a sf/pf buddy :wink:



Patterson was always a SG/SF


I'm with EMan here. He played some SG for the Sonics in his first few years, but he doesn't have an outside shot, so they moved him to SF/PF. He's been playing there since then.



He's 6'7 and has no inside moves. He was a so called Kobe stopper because he had speed to guard SGs and SFs

All Star
Posts: 2956
» Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:10 am
32 wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:My opinion: He's a basketball player, not a role model. It seems like a lot of Warriors fans are the most up tight fans in the league when it comes to bringing people who aren't spotless princesses to the team, I say take him if we can get him for the minimum, he's a good enough player and a bargain.

I agree. In fact, I'd been lobbying for a Stephen Jackson trade 2 seasons before we even aquired him... and you should have heard the sort of things people were saying about him. "Attitude". "Trouble maker". "Bad guy". Now, 90% of Warriors fans suck the guy's dick. It's incredible.


I agree with both you guys. We like to throw this wife beating thing around very loosely. We don't know all the facts. i am more concern about how a guy can help our team. Patterson could be a big help but not at Pietrus expense. I would sign him and try to trade that big bust O'Bryant. He's my new Dunleavy. Also you make an excellent point about Jackson. We really don't know any of these guys personally. so leets get off this off-court judgement crap. Remember Jason Kidd's wife called him a wife beater too. Do you not want him either?

Role Player
Posts: 284
» Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:54 am
When I furst heard about Patterson being waived, the first thing I thought of was that the Warriors should sign him. He is tough, he plays solid defense, rebounds well and is very versatile. He fits the mold of a Warrior player in terms of his skills and attributes. To get him for the league minimum would be a steal.
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:30 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
EMan32 wrote:
migya wrote:No need for him. The team is loaded with players that play SG/SF and doesn't need anyone else


patterson is a sf/pf buddy :wink:



Patterson was always a SG/SF


I'm with EMan here. He played some SG for the Sonics in his first few years, but he doesn't have an outside shot, so they moved him to SF/PF. He's been playing there since then.



He's 6'7 and has no inside moves. He was a so called Kobe stopper because he had speed to guard SGs and SFs

Patterson plays SF. When he's playing out of position, he's at PF.

Nobody called Ruben Patterson the "Kobe Stopper" except Ruben Patterson. Kobe dropped 45 on that guy less than 2 seasons ago.

All Star
Posts: 1218
» Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:52 am
With the success the team is having and the excellent chemistry, I would only go for big upgrades. It just isn't worth messing with things for the promise of some 10% better player.

It is like getting a new goldfish. The new one seems prettier, but aways seems to bring a virus with it that kills everything.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3074
» Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:20 am
carlgo wrote:With the success the team is having and the excellent chemistry, I would only go for big upgrades. It just isn't worth messing with things for the promise of some 10% better player.

It is like getting a new goldfish. The new one seems prettier, but aways seems to bring a virus with it that kills everything.


I would agree with this, however, we are only paying him the veteran minimum and we could cut him if he is causing problems chemistry-wise.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1266
» Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:38 am
Ruben Patterson is a SF. Not a SG/SF or SF/PF but an SF. With that said, Nellie would probably give him minutes at center.

As far as his off the court issues go I think there is a difference between this:

Patterson has been involved in a number of off-the-court issues during his basketball career. Patterson must register himself as a sex offender in the state where he lives due to pleading guilty in 2001 to attempted rape of his child's nanny in September 2000.[4] It was reported that he forced the nanny to perform a sex act on him.[4][5] In February 2001, Patterson was convicted of misdemeanor assault for attacking a man who scratched his car outside a Cleveland, Ohio night club. Patterson was arrested in 2002 for felony domestic abuse charges on his wife. His wife later dropped the charges and they later divorced.


and what Stack Jack did. I mean, were 49er fans too uptight when they were wary of signing Lawrence Phillips? It isn't the same situation here, but it is in the same ballpark, so to speak.

All Star
Posts: 3310
» Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:54 pm
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
EMan32 wrote:
migya wrote:No need for him. The team is loaded with players that play SG/SF and doesn't need anyone else


patterson is a sf/pf buddy :wink:



Patterson was always a SG/SF


I'm with EMan here. He played some SG for the Sonics in his first few years, but he doesn't have an outside shot, so they moved him to SF/PF. He's been playing there since then.



He's 6'7 and has no inside moves. He was a so called Kobe stopper because he had speed to guard SGs and SFs


rodman was a PF that guarded jordan and isiah thomas. troy murphy is a PF with no iside moves. whats your point?
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22191
» Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:56 pm
EMan32 wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
EMan32 wrote:
migya wrote:No need for him. The team is loaded with players that play SG/SF and doesn't need anyone else


patterson is a sf/pf buddy :wink:



Patterson was always a SG/SF


I'm with EMan here. He played some SG for the Sonics in his first few years, but he doesn't have an outside shot, so they moved him to SF/PF. He's been playing there since then.



He's 6'7 and has no inside moves. He was a so called Kobe stopper because he had speed to guard SGs and SFs


rodman was a PF that guarded jordan and isiah thomas. troy murphy is a PF with no iside moves. whats your point?



Point is Mullin shouldn't get him as he is not needed and doesn't provide anything the team doesn't already have
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22191
» Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:59 pm
JayPat wrote:
carlgo wrote:With the success the team is having and the excellent chemistry, I would only go for big upgrades. It just isn't worth messing with things for the promise of some 10% better player.

It is like getting a new goldfish. The new one seems prettier, but aways seems to bring a virus with it that kills everything.


I would agree with this, however, we are only paying him the veteran minimum and we could cut him if he is causing problems chemistry-wise.



All getting another half decent player would do is take time away from the other players. Next ofseason Mullin has decide to give contracts to a number of players so those players need to get some opportunity, not be hindered by some aging journeyman that will not stay for long anyway
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:05 am
migya wrote:All getting another half decent player would do is take time away from the other players.


Take time away from whom exactly?. Because if it's Pietrus' time, I'm all for it...

migya wrote:Next ofseason Mullin has decide to give contracts to a number of players so those players need to get some opportunity, not be hindered by some aging journeyman that will not stay for long anyway


Patterson is a free agent, buddy. If he signs with a team at this point of the season, it will be for the remaining of the year, and for a minimum salary. It would have zero effect on next year's contracts.

If you mean it as him blocking those young guys, it won't happen. Monta and Beans are the only two young guys that will be looking for extensions, and he wouldn't block any of those two.


Don't get me wrong. I still have some concerns about the kind of teammate Patterson would be, but signing him wouldn't have an effect on the development of our kids and our future cap space.

All Star
Posts: 3310
» Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:05 am
migya wrote:
EMan32 wrote:
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
EMan32 wrote:
migya wrote:No need for him. The team is loaded with players that play SG/SF and doesn't need anyone else


patterson is a sf/pf buddy :wink:



Patterson was always a SG/SF


I'm with EMan here. He played some SG for the Sonics in his first few years, but he doesn't have an outside shot, so they moved him to SF/PF. He's been playing there since then.


He's 6'7 and has no inside moves. He was a so called Kobe stopper because he had speed to guard SGs and SFs


rodman was a PF that guarded jordan and isiah thomas. troy murphy is a PF with no iside moves. whats your point?



Point is Mullin shouldn't get him as he is not needed and doesn't provide anything the team doesn't already have


no but hes an upgrade over pietrus. and if we can improve without it costing too much, then why not?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests