Current W's stars vs the younger W's studs

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

All Star
» Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:33 pm
I would definitely not break the bank on players like AB and Monta! If you look at our top players. They are players from other teams who hae more experience.

I would not put too much hope in developing our stars only for them to put up great number in a bad situation. For example, look how bad they are playing without just one starter. What happens when BD and S-Jax retire? There will be no leadership on the team! What I hate about the W's they don't get in each others face for making a bad play or when they miss a ft! This team is way too soft just like AB. For once I would like to see AB just deck a guard or big player for coming into the paint.

Monta makes too much errors on the floor and is not really a good shooter and can't make ft just like MP. Even our bigs are tweeners who really need to hit the gym.

All Star
» Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:44 pm
Ellis is not going to turn into a scorer like GA!!!

Franchise Player
» Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:46 pm
J-Rich wrote:I would definitely not break the bank on players like AB and Monta! If you look at our top players. They are players from other teams who hae more experience.

I would not put too much hope in developing our stars only for them to put up great number in a bad situation. For example, look how bad they are playing without just one starter. What happens when BD and S-Jax retire? There will be no leadership on the team! What I hate about the W's they don't get in each others face for making a bad play or when they miss a ft! This team is way too soft just like AB. For once I would like to see AB just deck a guard or big player for coming into the paint.

Monta makes too much errors on the floor and is not really a good shooter and can't make ft just like MP. Even our bigs are tweeners who really need to hit the gym.

You do realize that neither one of them are thirty years old, yeah?

All Star
» Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:40 am
Their contracts are almost up and knowing that. I don't want to break the bank to keep them if the team will still be mediore. Having an overpaid BD, resigned S-Jax and Al with a AB or Ellis doesn't leave an room to bring in a FA!

Teams Utah bought their way to success Okur and Boozer and they got lucky with Williams. Looking at this team now. I don't like all the pieces no defense, rebounding and I want someone who is a bad ass! Bring me someone cheap like an Artest.

Hall of Famer
» Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:19 am
J-Rich wrote:Their contracts are almost up and knowing that. I don't want to break the bank to keep them if the team will still be mediore. Having an overpaid BD, resigned S-Jax and Al with a AB or Ellis doesn't leave an room to bring in a FA!

That's a valid point, although more in Baron's case than S-Jax. Jakson's contract lasts 3 more seasons and never goes over $7.5 million. It's almost a bargain for a player of his level. Keep in mind we were paying more to Dunleavy than we do for S-Jax.

As for Baron's contract, he's obviously our best player and we can go only as far as he takes us. Still, is he a $18 million per year player?. The answer is clear, NO. A different question is if we can afford to lose him (probably not, as that would lead to rebuilding once again).

Franchise Player
» Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:38 am
I agree with J-Rich..................I know Monta and AB and still really young but I just dont see them turning into players who deserve 8-10 million a year, which is probably what they are gonna be after.

Usually, when you have a young guy or someone who just needs playing time, you can tell that as soon as they get more experience or playing time, then they will fulfill there promise, ie: Kobe, T-Mac, Garnett, Ben Wallace, Rip Hamilton, Amare, Nash...............to name but a few who started there careers with either not enough playing time, experience or just too young.............not only do I not feel that AB and Monta will get to anywhere near those levels, they have had alot of playing time!!!! compared to most youngsters who arnt instant superstars.

So, overall, I am not happy to intrust our future to guys who I dont see developing into anything near what we need/expect/want them to be................they will be great role players/energizers there whole careers.

Franchise Player
» Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:41 am
Also...............Im still not happy to lose J-Rich, to make cap room to re-sign these guys...............not a good enough trade off.................although knowing our luck, if we let them go (Arenas!!) then they probably would turn into superstars!!! :banghead:

Hall of Famer
» Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:50 am
bigstrads wrote:I agree with J-Rich..................I know Monta and AB and still really young but I just dont see them turning into players who deserve 8-10 million a year, which is probably what they are gonna be after.

Usually, when you have a young guy or someone who just needs playing time, you can tell that as soon as they get more experience or playing time, then they will fulfill there promise, ie: Kobe, T-Mac, Garnett, Ben Wallace, Rip Hamilton, Amare, Nash...............to name but a few who started there careers with either not enough playing time, experience or just too young.............not only do I not feel that AB and Monta will get to anywhere near those levels, they have had alot of playing time!!!! compared to most youngsters who arnt instant superstars.

So, overall, I am not happy to intrust our future to guys who I dont see developing into anything near what we need/expect/want them to be................they will be great role players/energizers there whole careers.

I do agree. I still think Beans is worth those $8 million per year, purely due to the lack of centers nowadays. He won't become a star, but his production is more than decent for big man (albeit he has to improve. He hasn't been exactly impressive the few games we've played this year). Still, I consider him perfectly able to be a 12 and 12 guy. And I'd take that production from him.

As for Monta... I do agree with Nellie when he says Monta has to become a PG to be a star in the league. And for that he needs to change the way he plays, starting by his decision making skills. If he stays at SG, he's gonna be a just a good scorer for the rest of his career. That's not a bad thing, but certainly nothing more than a role player.

bigstrads wrote:although knowing our luck, if we let them go (Arenas!!) then they probably would turn into superstars!!! :banghead:

We didn't let Arenas go. We just couldn't pay him as much as other teams. It was St. Jean's fault... and probably that's the reason he's out of a job now.

Franchise Player
» Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:23 am
TMC wrote:

As for Monta... I do agree with Nellie when he says Monta has to become a PG to be a star in the league. And for that he needs to change the way he plays, starting by his decision making skills. If he stays at SG, he's gonna be a just a good scorer for the rest of his career. That's not a bad thing, but certainly nothing more than a role player.

Thats true...........watching the recent Mavs game, when Monta was driving and just throwing up un-controlled shots he was missing and getting blocked, in the third he was driving hard and dishing which worked really well..............thats what he needs to do, he has the ability and speed to beat most people off the dribble and collapse the lane, then dish out to spot up shooters is what he needs to focus on, he ended up with like 7 assists because he began to do that in the second half.

TMC wrote:

We didn't let Arenas go. We just couldn't pay him as much as other teams. It was St. Jean's fault... and probably that's the reason he's out of a job now.

With Arenas, I think it was also alot to do with the team that we had built around him, he knew he had a much better chance at winning with other teams and he was right................how much was the actual difference in what we offered and what he got from the Wizards???

Hall of Famer
» Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:39 am
bigstrads wrote:

With Arenas, I think it was also alot to do with the team that we had built around him, he knew he had a much better chance at winning with other teams and he was right................how much was the actual difference in what we offered and what he got from the Wizards???

He signed for around $65 million with Washington, and we weren't able to match because the team was over the cap.

We couldn't offer him more than the mid-level extension (around 4.5 to 4.9 million per year, don't remember how much it was that year) so the overall difference would have been something like $30 million (roughly... haven't checked the numbers, but it's gotta be something like that) during the whole contract. It would have been crazy for him to leave 30 million on the table.

Actually, he always said that he wanted to stay, but had to take the Wizard's offer. The difference was just too much. And nobody can really blame him...

Hall of Famer
» Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:55 am
TMC wrote:
bigstrads wrote:I agree with J-Rich..................I know Monta and AB and still really young but I just dont see them turning into players who deserve 8-10 million a year, which is probably what they are gonna be after.

I do agree. I still think Beans is worth those $8 million per year, purely due to the lack of centers nowadays. He won't become a star, but his production is more than decent for big man (albeit he has to improve. He hasn't been exactly impressive the few games we've played this year). Still, I consider him perfectly able to be a 12 and 12 guy. And I'd take that production from him.

bigstrads wrote:although knowing our luck, if we let them go (Arenas!!) then they probably would turn into superstars!!! :banghead:

Thing is, Biedrins and Monta will both get 10 million plus a year from some other team, count on it. Biedirns is a keeper at 10 million, Centers are just too hard to find and he fits the team style well. Monta is just not playing well but he is very young and has ability to be a 24-25 points a game scorer in the nba, I believe that. He was also a good defender and must get back to that.

This season, both Monta and Biedrins have to prove what they are worth, Mullin will only be able to respond to their performance this season

All Star
» Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:39 am
If AB doesn't get stronger and alittle bit meaner in the yrs to come. Chris Kaman is a productive center because he is a space eater. AB is just a lean lanky PF who is playing the 5 position. I really want him to get alittle bit meaner and maybe gain another 15lbs. I remember when Howard came out he was skinny then he bulked out big time. That really helped out his game!

All Star
» Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:41 am
Other teams centers and players are not intimated by AB presence. He just jumps and tips at rebs. For once I would like to see him get popped in the face while getting a crucial reb in the game.

All Star
» Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:06 am
Though Arenas is tremendously exciting, the Ws are better of with BD, who is a much truer point guard. Besides, like TMC recapped, Ws had no chance financially to get Gilbert. I believe they changed the rule after that incident. I think the Ws are hoping to slide in with a 7th or 8th seed again and then make a major free agent move this summer, by which time it will be a lot clearer whether or not to resign BD, Monta and AB or go for some new studs. .

All Star
» Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:12 pm
I don't think Monta will ever be a PG... and Azu is a better SG possessing a better shot, rebounding, and strength. Right now, he seems to be the odd man out. We'll see.