Barnett raving about POB??? Youtube on nba.com/warriors

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

User avatar

All Star
Posts: 1357
» Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:18 am
TMC wrote:
32 wrote:Its just that Patrick O'Bryant was (wrongfully) labeled as this forum's punching bag all of last year and, the truth is, that a huge majority of you guys never even saw him play. I recognized that Pest had a legitimate beef with him (citing O'Bryant's shitty school, Bradley, in an uncompetitive conference), but a lot of you guys were just basing what you knew about him on Draft Express... and I thought that was wrong. Therefore, I'm making a post now to acknowledge those of us who actually believed in the kid BEFORE the hype machine was on his side.


Ok. But in that case, I think it's too early. It was one good preseason game. If he has that performance, during the season (hell, half of that performance), then it's alright... but even Foyle is having good games on preseason. It means nothing (yet).


Are you the fence-sitter about to jump on his bandwagon dude? :-)
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:33 am
cladden wrote:Are you the fence-sitter about to jump on his bandwagon dude? :-)


Not exactly. I've been against the pick since before it was made, and I still see no reason to change my standpoint (yet. Not saying it won't change in the future).

I can't see where's the problem here. Nobody wants the Dubs to lose. Some people consider POB is a sure way back to the lottery, some people consider POB as an important piece of the roster.

The natural thing would be rooting for him if he proves himself but, from what I'm reading, that almost seems like a crime. We all want the same, folks.
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:22 pm
Rooting for him to improve?

By claiming that maybe he should go back to making pies?

Role Player
Posts: 208
» Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:18 pm
it's messed up when ppl wrongly take credit for being a supporter of pob all along, but there's nothing wrong when ppl acknowledge jumping on the bandwagon b/c pob is starting to prove himself

after all, only a small percentage of fans have supported players/teams for reasons other than "they're good". for all the other fans, its up to the players to put in good performances and win them over. the way i see it, bandwagons are a natural and neccesary part of the game. you can have your diehard fans who grew up in a city and support it through good and bad, but you'll also have the casual fans who get into the sport b/c a team gives them a reason to do so.

now if pob can convert all his haters into bandwagon fans, that's saying something

personally im encouraged by his results from the first preseason game, but i just wanna warn you all not to get your hopes up or you might end up being severely let down. one game is seriously not enough an indicator of how he's gonna perform in the regular season

Role Player
Posts: 263
» Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:50 pm
don't act like POB DIDN'T deserve to be ripped. He deserved every bit of it. He was lazy and unaggressive. So it's not like it was unwarranted.
User avatar

Role Player
Posts: 334
» Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:04 pm
Seriously though, I think it time we put Mr Cooper back in a Warriors uniform...

:mrgreen:
User avatar

Role Player
Posts: 384
» Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:21 pm
lakerfool wrote:don't act like POB DIDN'T deserve to be ripped. He deserved every bit of it. He was lazy and unaggressive. So it's not like it was unwarranted.

Seriously. They were talking about self-motivation, and even Mully didn't exactly say POB was self-motived right now. Something else is pushing POB, but hey it doesn't matter what it is as long as he's producing.

Role Player
Posts: 263
» Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:42 pm
Hoonyo wrote:
lakerfool wrote:don't act like POB DIDN'T deserve to be ripped. He deserved every bit of it. He was lazy and unaggressive. So it's not like it was unwarranted.

Seriously. They were talking about self-motivation, and even Mully didn't exactly say POB was self-motived right now. Something else is pushing POB, but hey it doesn't matter what it is as long as he's producing.


Yup. If POB was putting all his efforts and we ripped him and he broke out, then we should all eat crow.

But we knew he was a talented guy that put no effort in. Nothing disgusts people more than waste of talent and that's why many, including me were disgusted at his attitude.

As you just pointed, Mullin even pointed out that this motivation wasn't entirely from his gut, and was a bit external. As long as we find a way to motivate him, from his own heart or not, it looks like the Warriors have a legit backup off the bench or perhaps trade bait.
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3040
» Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:33 pm
Seriously, I think most people want kids who show some spark to succeed. That's why so many of us were so high on Diogu for so long. He had the occasional exceptional game (see Detroit in his rookie year), and that gave us hope during the dismal dungleavy years...I am sure there are exceptions, but the general observation is that most players get support by showing something. Hard to give a guy who was struggling in the nbdl a lot of props. Now that POB is showing a spark he is getting some love. The only one I saw repeatedly dogged on this board was the dungleavy and deservedly so, due to his underperformance, high salary and cosseting from Ws management. If POB can give a credible 8-10 minutes a game as backup to Biedrins and Harrington, it solves a problem for sure.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22189
» Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:13 am
32 wrote:Rooting for him to improve?

By claiming that maybe he should go back to making pies?



You're not saying that wanting O'bryant to improve is wrong are you????
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22189
» Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:18 am
breezer_79 wrote:Seriously though, I think it time we put Mr Cooper back in a Warriors uniform...

:mrgreen:



Fuk I liked that show all those years ago! :)
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22189
» Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:21 am
lakerfool wrote:If POB was putting all his efforts and we ripped him and he broke out, then we should all eat crow.




If O'bryant breaks out because of negative aomments about him - BRING ON THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS!
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:42 am
migya wrote:
lakerfool wrote:If POB was putting all his efforts and we ripped him and he broke out, then we should all eat crow.




If O'bryant breaks out because of negative aomments about him - BRING ON THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS!


Hey, even Nellie does that from time to time...
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22189
» Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:47 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:
lakerfool wrote:If POB was putting all his efforts and we ripped him and he broke out, then we should all eat crow.




If O'bryant breaks out because of negative aomments about him - BRING ON THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS!


Hey, even Nellie does that from time to time...



We'll have to credit Nelson then :wink:
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:00 am
lakerfool wrote:don't act like POB DIDN'T deserve to be ripped. He deserved every bit of it. He was lazy and unaggressive. So it's not like it was unwarranted.

He was an unpolished rookie getting thrown around by much larger players because he didn't have an width. I wouldn't exactly call that "lazy". The guy's gained 15 pounds of muscle since we drafted him.

What exactly did O'Bryant do to "deserve to be ripped"? Chris Mullin drafted him knowing that he couldn't contribute during his rookie season. If we needed a contribute-now kinda player, we would have taken Rodney Carney.

You only claim he "deserved" to be ripped because you fed into the snowballing hate machine without listening to all of the information presented about O'Bryant.

By the way... 5-for-6 last night (along with 5 rebounds) in 18 minutes. :mrgreen: And did I mention that the 7-footer left the game with 4 assists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 26 guests