Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Role Player
» Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:24 am
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/ar ... on-ON.html

Marion: 'Time for me to move on'
Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 25, 2007 09:30 PM

Shawn Marion trade talk is one thing. A Marion trade request is quite another.

Marion is fed up with another summer of the Suns considering to trade him. Marion is irked that the team is not willing to talk about a contract extension. After eight years in Phoenix, Marion wants to leave the Suns and has let the team know in recent weeks.

"I'm tired of hearing my name in trades," Marion said by phone from his Chicago home Tuesday night. "I love my fans in Phoenix but I think it's time for me to move on."

Marion, the highest paid Suns player, has two years remaining on his maximum-level contract - $16.4 million for this year and a $17.8 million salary if he did not opt out before the 2008-09 season. He said the Suns' unwillingness to extend his deal is "only a part of why" he wants to leave but would not confirm that he has asked for a three-year, $60 million extension, saying, "The numbers aren't important."

Suns General Manager Steve Kerr declined comment.

There are two known trade suitors in the Utah Jazz (for Andrei Kirilenko, if not others) and the Los Angeles Lakers (for Lamar Odom and a teammate), with Marion showing an interest in the latter because of a friendship with Kobe Bryant.

"Regardless of everything that went on with the extension, I'm tired of hearing my name in trade rumors," Marion said. "It's time for me to move on. I felt like they tried to force my hand to Boston with the (Kevin) Garnett stuff."

In June, there was the possibility of a three-way trade sending Garnett to Phoenix, a Boston pick package going to Minnesota and Marion to Boston with a contract extension but the Marion camp killed it.

"I haven't done anything wrong," said Marion, a four-time All-Star. "I leave it on the floor night in and night out. Sometimes, it's just time, and it's time to go. "It's been like a nightmare. It hurts me making this phone call. It's hurting me in my stomach."

Marion said he has no problem with any of his teammates but did not want to comment on the Suns staffers, saying, "It's just a bad marriage. I'm not talking about anyone. It's just time for me to go."

He said he has talked to Kerr, Coach Mike D'Antoni and Managing Partner Robert Sarver.

There is a strong possibility that no trade occurs this week and Marion is asked to come to work Monday, the mandatory reporting date, and join the quest for a championship.

"I'll do what I've got to do," Marion said, noting he would show up no sooner than required. "I'm a professional. I'm not bitter. I love the fans but I've got to take care of me."

With Boris Diaw expected to be in today, each Suns player but Marion will be in Phoenix this week for the voluntary workouts. Some, like Grant Hill, Steve Nash and Amaré Stoudemire, have been coming into the arena for weeks.

Marion, 29, pulled himself off the USA Basketball roster for a second straight summer this year. He cited the plantar fasciitis in his left foot ("I played all season with that," Marion said Tuesday) in early July, when talk of his dissatisfaction with the lack of extension talks began to surface.

In Kirilenko and Odom, the Suns are looking at versatile forwards with different skill sets and financial factors.

Kirilenko, who is even more disgruntled with Utah this summer, is a former All-Star coming off a career-worst season, but is a great defender with a knack for shot-blocking. He does not shoot well from the perimeter but is a crafty scorer inside at 6 feet 9 and can run the floor. Kirilenko, 26, is due $63 million over the next four years. That would give Phoenix some instant relief but create later payroll issues.

Odom, who is 6-10 and 27 years old, is a superb passer and good shooter who can play various positions but has been inconsistent, depending on how assertive he plays. Odom has two years remaining on his deal at $13.2 million this season and $14.1 million in 2008-09.

Perfect for our style of play, but what would it take to get him...

Hall of Famer
» Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:31 am
dstown wrote:Perfect for our style of play, but what would it take to get him...

At this time of the year, he's not going anywhere. Or it would be a big surprise if something happens.

Even if they were willing to trade him, we don't have anybody that could be of interest for the Suns (well, I'm sure they wouldn't mind trading him for Beans, but that ain't gonna happen).

Role Player
» Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:47 am
It would be nice to get Marion on board with the Warriors, but like TMC said, it is likely not going to happen. Training camp is a week away and the Warriors have very little to offer the Suns in return.

I honestly think this might be a ploy to get the extension he wants. If he really wanted out he would have made that public after the season ended or sometime in the middle of the summer. Instead he waits until now? That does not make much sense.

I would be shocked to see Marion playing for anyone but the Suns this coming season.

All Star
» Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:04 am
HELL YEAH... PULL THE TRIGGER DAMMIT

All Star
» Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:03 pm
I could see the kirilenko move. Kirlilenko would fit beautifully on the Suns, and while they would lose scoring, his defense and esp. shotblocking would make them perhaps even better. Odom would also be nice on the Suns, but I doubt the Suns would trade within their own division. We have nothing Phoenix really wants or needs enough to move Marion for.

All Star
» Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:52 pm
if we dont get marion or AK... i hope they get traded to the east... with marion out of pheonix, i think we'll have a bigger chance of beating them... and with utah, even though AK didnt have a big role in defeating us in the playoffs, could still give us a little edge if he's gone... SOOOO.... if we dont pull the "f"ing trigger... i hope teams in the east does... and hopefully suns and jazz dont get players like prince, jefferson, antawn, or jermaine or something... i hope they give them less skillful players like iggy,zaza, or quentin.... PLEASE ANSWER MY PRAYERS BASKETBALL GODS!!!

All Star
» Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:24 pm
all i know is theres no way we're getting marion

Franchise Player
» Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:33 pm
Dream on, guys. :wink:

All Star
» Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:10 pm
hahahaha....W's not going to pull this trade...kind of impossible..
1. We don't have any players to offer to SUNS
2. F.....ing salary will kill us
3. I don't think Marion will like to play in W's

but, we will see what happen in this scenarion for Marion....

All Star
» Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:20 pm
William_GSW wrote:hahahaha....W's not going to pull this trade...kind of impossible..

im sure marion would like to play for the warriors. its fast paced like the suns but everyone has the chance to score. he would have to put in more work as far as rebounding but im pretty sure he would like playing for the warriors..too bad its not gonna happen.

Franchise Player
» Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:16 pm
No way he gets traded to the division rival. I rather keep the money to resign Monta and AB for the 2008 offseason.

Franchise Player
» Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:43 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:No way he gets traded to the division rival. I rather keep the money to resign Monta and AB for the 2008 offseason.

So would I.

Role Player
» Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:23 pm
plus i think we need the money to give bd an extension…and of course this is a dream, just like the kg one.

Franchise Player
» Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:00 pm
KG was a real possibility, though. Everyone thought that we would land him. We did, the media did, and hell, even KG did. There is a big difference between the KG rumor and the Marion rumor.

All Star
» Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:27 pm
EMan32 wrote:
William_GSW wrote:hahahaha....W's not going to pull this trade...kind of impossible..

im sure marion would like to play for the warriors. its fast paced like the suns but everyone has the chance to score. he would have to put in more work as far as rebounding but im pretty sure he would like playing for the warriors..too bad its not gonna happen.

Marion scores 20 a game for the Suns. It's not ppg that's his issue. He wants to be the man and he wouldn't be here.