NBA of the 80's-90's

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Role Player
» Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:03 am
I was just looking at some videos on youtube of the Sonics vs Bulls championship game...and just thinking of my overall experience watching these games as a child. People played with a lot more passion then, and the ref's weren't such pricks.

Basketball has changed a lot. But I just wanted to ask everyone out there who is old enough to remember these games...what do you think the NBA is lacking that we really need now?

I was upset with Sjax in the playoffs when he kept running his mouth...but at the same time...my favorite players of all time (gary payton and shawn kemp) had played with the same competitive/passionate spirit. When baron davis dunked on Ak47 it reminded me of the shawn kemp "lister blister" dunk.

I think the NBA lacks emotion nowadays...i noticed when larry bird won the 3 point contest for the first time...he got a check for $10,000. That's how much like 1/3 of what NBA players get suspended for being vocal about bad calls.

All these games seem too technical and boring to watch (in my head im thinking of the dallas vs miami championship series)... but maybe that's why it's so fun to watch the warriors since they play with such emotion. Anyways, that's just my 2 cents.

To sum this up, I miss the way basketball used to be and someday I hope it can be more human and fun for both the players and fans.

Hall of Famer
» Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:10 am
I remember those games you're talking about, and I also miss them. But I don't think it's lack of emotion. Players still feel the same, but what has changed is the way of coaching.

Now everybody (with some exceptions, like Nellie or D'Antoni) wants to play a more controlled bball. Which usually means a slow tempo and a more defensive game. It probably happens because is easier to teach and coach.

Obviously, it's more boring for the fans... but it's a perfectly valid approach to the game. We'll be fine as long as there are teams like the Dubs or the Suns.

The refs, on the other side... well, let's say I expect them to improve A LOT due to the current game fixing scandal. Everybody will be looking at them closely from now on.

All Star
» Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:15 am
I think David Stern is the reason for no emotion. David Stern might as well have a a "no talking for non-whites" rule right now.

» Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:24 am
Here's the difference between the golden age of basketball and today:

- Euro's bringing in the "art" of flopping. 'Nuff said. Flopping has ruined the game.

- Referees are too whistle happy. There's no physical play anymore. Plus, those bastards have gotten too full of themselves. Too many T's, too many flagrants, too many suspensions, too much attention on the ref's and not enough on the game.

- EVERYONE could shoot back then. There were no Dampier's. If Robert Parish or David Robinson got the ball 15 feet out, best believe somebody would step out. That opened up the lane a lot more. Now, big men plant themselves inside and very few guards go to the hole looking for the bucket (most look for the foul).

- An overall lack of talent from NBA big men. Now, if a big guy has a midrange, its considered a luxury. 3-point range and everyone wets themselves. Tell that to players like James Worthy, Sam Perkins, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Karl Malone. A midrange wasn't luxury to them; it was just another method of scoring.

- Back then, if you left a guy opened, it was cash. Chris Mullin. Mitch Richmond. Reggie Miller. Larry Bird. If any of those cats got an open look from ANYWHERE, it wouldn't even be a question. Now, the league's best shooters are tempermental. You can leave a guy like Kyle Korver, Al Harrington, or Paul Pierce wide open and half the time they'll still miss it. The only guy who you can't sleep on is Ray Allen. Back then, every team had a guy like that.

- Athleticism over natural skill. In the 80's and 90's, people weren't scouting you since high school, putting you through combines, and shitting themselves scared that a knee injury you had in high school might resurface. In the NBA Draft, there was one question: can this kid play? If Brian Cardinal played in the 80's, he'd have been taken early because the guy can flat out play, unlike players like Mickael Pietrus, Stromile Swift, and Shawn Bradley, who are drafted because of their physical prowess in hopes that they can someday develop game.

- It was more competitive back then because players WANTED TO WIN. Jordan. Bird. Magic. Zeke. They all had this killer, burning passion that told them that losing was the worst feeling in the world. Do you honestly believe Dwayne Wade has Jordan-like killer instincts? Or even LeBron, for that matter. Have you ever (besides that one game against Detroit) seen LeBron flat out say, "alright, there's NO WAY my team is losing this game"? I haven't. And, back then, thats what everyone was in it for.

- No. Bullshit. Back then. Not money. Not contract years. Not politics or purposely playing bad to provoke a trade or pretending to be injured and still collecting a paycheck anyway. No guys playing to Sportscenter or ditching practice to promote a rap album. No, back then, guys played because they wanted to. And I don't think in today's age (with guys like T.O, A-Rod, and Tracy McGrady, superstars in their respective sports, who've all said they want to "retire young and enjoy things OTHER than their sports" in life), that you have love for the game. I think Larry Bird and Magic Johnson would have given ANYTHING to keep playing for another 4 or 5 years. Anything. Whereas guys like McGrady toy with the notion of retiring early because they have the money and its "just a game". What a crock of sh*t.

I could write more, but its pissing me off...

Role Player
» Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:39 pm
32 wrote:Here's the difference between the golden age of basketball and today:

- Euro's bringing in the "art" of flopping. 'Nuff said. Flopping has ruined the game.

- Referees are too whistle happy. There's no physical play anymore. Plus, those bastards have gotten too full of themselves. Too many T's, too many flagrants, too many suspensions, too much attention on the ref's and not enough on the game.

- EVERYONE could shoot back then. There were no Dampier's. If Robert Parish or David Robinson got the ball 15 feet out, best believe somebody would step out. That opened up the lane a lot more. Now, big men plant themselves inside and very few guards go to the hole looking for the bucket (most look for the foul).

- An overall lack of talent from NBA big men. Now, if a big guy has a midrange, its considered a luxury. 3-point range and everyone wets themselves. Tell that to players like James Worthy, Sam Perkins, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Karl Malone. A midrange wasn't luxury to them; it was just another method of scoring.

- Back then, if you left a guy opened, it was cash. Chris Mullin. Mitch Richmond. Reggie Miller. Larry Bird. If any of those cats got an open look from ANYWHERE, it wouldn't even be a question. Now, the league's best shooters are tempermental. You can leave a guy like Kyle Korver, Al Harrington, or Paul Pierce wide open and half the time they'll still miss it. The only guy who you can't sleep on is Ray Allen. Back then, every team had a guy like that.

- Athleticism over natural skill. In the 80's and 90's, people weren't scouting you since high school, putting you through combines, and shitting themselves scared that a knee injury you had in high school might resurface. In the NBA Draft, there was one question: can this kid play? If Brian Cardinal played in the 80's, he'd have been taken early because the guy can flat out play, unlike players like Mickael Pietrus, Stromile Swift, and Shawn Bradley, who are drafted because of their physical prowess in hopes that they can someday develop game.

- It was more competitive back then because players WANTED TO WIN. Jordan. Bird. Magic. Zeke. They all had this killer, burning passion that told them that losing was the worst feeling in the world. Do you honestly believe Dwayne Wade has Jordan-like killer instincts? Or even LeBron, for that matter. Have you ever (besides that one game against Detroit) seen LeBron flat out say, "alright, there's NO WAY my team is losing this game"? I haven't. And, back then, thats what everyone was in it for.

- No. Bullshit. Back then. Not money. Not contract years. Not politics or purposely playing bad to provoke a trade or pretending to be injured and still collecting a paycheck anyway. No guys playing to Sportscenter or ditching practice to promote a rap album. No, back then, guys played because they wanted to. And I don't think in today's age (with guys like T.O, A-Rod, and Tracy McGrady, superstars in their respective sports, who've all said they want to "retire young and enjoy things OTHER than their sports" in life), that you have love for the game. I think Larry Bird and Magic Johnson would have given ANYTHING to keep playing for another 4 or 5 years. Anything. Whereas guys like McGrady toy with the notion of retiring early because they have the money and its "just a game". What a crock of sh*t.

I could write more, but its pissing me off...

:D :D :D =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Dude you speak volumes. Most superstar athletes are need to man up and stop being little bitches. But I guess its typical of today's standards. Almost EVERYTHING is about the money. C.R.E.A.M.

However, I think that another big difference are those tiny little shorts. :mrgreen:

I would post a hilarious picture, but I'm at work. Would someone oblige?

Hall of Famer
» Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:51 pm
The 1980s and early 1990s was the great era of basketball. I am old enough to remember the late 80s and 90s nba and it was much better for sure. All the bullshiit nowadays ruins it. It is not human anymore but robotic and political. Passion was a must back then and fans held that in high esteem and valued a man that cared and had love for his team and its fans. I wish I was this age twenty years ago, the 80s were that good

All Star
» Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:32 pm
to an extent i think it was plan B free agency that has really ruined sports and not just basketball.

» Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:37 pm
Steve Young would agree with you.

I think free agency hurts football worse than any other sport. Football needs everybody to be in sync for it to work, but basketball players can pretty much pick up and have chemistry right away. Look at Kidd and Carter.

All Star
» Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:34 pm
i think another reason for the excitement being lossed is that there are too many individual stars in the NBA right now. go back and you could think of 2-3 names other than the main guy. pippen n rodman to jordan, worthy n kareem to magic, dumars and laimbeer to isiah. right now you got kobe's lakers, lebrons cavs, dirks mavs (until howard finally showed up), until recently it was KG's twolves and pierce's celtics...there was vince's raptors, tmacs magic. one man team's are what make the game boring....and the spurs

All Star
» Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:43 pm
Add to the excellent previous posts the way the refs have been calling the game. They have not only gotten into the habit of calling marginal charges, but also the pass and crash type calls that really inhibit fast-breaking teams.

They have also rewarded "physical" players and teams at the expense of those that have actual basketball skills. This has also slowed things down.

None of this is because of any dishonesty. It is much like baseball umps that got into bad habits and highly personalized ways of officiating games. Baseball spent much time on trying to standardize the way the umps operated, fired some and explained the rules to the rest. The NBA will have to do the same thing.

All Star
» Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:58 pm
EMan32 wrote:i think another reason for the excitement being lossed is that there are too many individual stars in the NBA right now. go back and you could think of 2-3 names other than the main guy. pippen n rodman to jordan, worthy n kareem to magic, dumars and laimbeer to isiah. right now you got kobe's lakers, lebrons cavs, dirks mavs (until howard finally showed up), until recently it was KG's twolves and pierce's celtics...there was vince's raptors, tmacs magic. one man team's are what make the game boring....and the spurs

What about Duncan, Parker and Ginobili's Spurs, Nash, Stoudemire and Marion's Suns, McGrady and Yao's Rockets, Shaq and Wade's Heat, Kidd, Carter and Jeffersons' Nets? (I am sure there are more)

Not sure the one-man team is indicative of the times really.

All Star
» Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:11 am
one unintended consequence of Jordan's brilliance was the slide away from team play in favor of the one on one, iso, where 4 guys clear out for the stud...in the case of jordan it was worth it, since he was so astonishing, but generally it slows the game down and takes the rest of the team out of the game. also, if you look at the ref calls, though the nba has tried to reverse that lately, there was far less bumping and grinding and thuggery allowed, something that started with Riley's Knicks (an irony for the coach of showtime) and was perfected by the horrid van gundy ball, and the pace was MUCH faster, making for more entertaining basketball. The only teams that truly play at an 80s pace today are the warriors and suns, no coincidence hat they are hands down the most exciting to watch.

All Star
» Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:19 am
cladden wrote:
EMan32 wrote:i think another reason for the excitement being lossed is that there are too many individual stars in the NBA right now. go back and you could think of 2-3 names other than the main guy. pippen n rodman to jordan, worthy n kareem to magic, dumars and laimbeer to isiah. right now you got kobe's lakers, lebrons cavs, dirks mavs (until howard finally showed up), until recently it was KG's twolves and pierce's celtics...there was vince's raptors, tmacs magic. one man team's are what make the game boring....and the spurs

What about Duncan, Parker and Ginobili's Spurs, Nash, Stoudemire and Marion's Suns, McGrady and Yao's Rockets, Shaq and Wade's Heat, Kidd, Carter and Jeffersons' Nets? (I am sure there are more)

Not sure the one-man team is indicative of the times really.

i dint say all of the teams were...i said there were too many. and dont use the spurs cuz they are boring to watch as a team. somewhat goes the same for the rockets...just not as bad as the spurs. as far as the heat...they are somewhat exciting to watch just for the simple fact that it is shaq n wade...but my examples are three people per team. shaq n wade dont have that 3rd person that helps boost team play.

and yes the iondividualistic play does apply..need more examples? before the trade we also had ray allen's sonics, we had zach randolph's blazers, we have dwight howards magic, there WAS okafors bobcats, joe johnsons hawks (kinda applies...more or so both ways tho), chris pauls hornets, jermaine oneals pacers, stephon marburys knicks, before AI it was melos nuggets and AIs 76ers. need i go on???

Hall of Famer
» Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:29 am
tkono wrote:to an extent i think it was plan B free agency that has really ruined sports and not just basketball.

I'd say fully guaranteed contracts are the problem, not free agency.

What's the reason to play your best bball night after night when you know you're getting paid the same no matter what?. Where's the reward for playing at a higher level each year?. Of course, there are a few exceptions to this rule, but I'm sure that it applies to a big number of players in this league.

Hall of Famer
» Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:39 am
TMC wrote:
tkono wrote:to an extent i think it was plan B free agency that has really ruined sports and not just basketball.

I'd say fully guaranteed contracts are the problem, not free agency.

What's the reason to play your best bball night after night when you know you're getting paid the same no matter what?. Where's the reward for playing at a higher level each year?. Of course, there are a few exceptions to this rule, but I'm sure that it applies to a big number of players in this league.

I agree but the nba will not adopt that system