Report: Chinese team says Yi not best suited for the Bucks.

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Role Player
» Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:34 am
guys, open up your eyes, face the whole world,
NBA is not the basketball paradise it used to be,
team USA has not won a major trophy for quite a while.
a poor American boy out of college has no choice but to join whoever drafts him, but it's not the case for international players.
Yi is making millions playing in china already, financially he won't suffer if a rookie contract is all he can gets.
so unless he's convinced that the team drafts him will make him a good player, he's not coming.

Hall of Famer
» Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:52 am
christy wrote:guys, open up your eyes, face the whole world,
NBA is not the basketball paradise it used to be,
team USA has not won a major trophy for quite a while.
a poor American boy out of college has no choice but to join whoever drafts him, but it's not the case for international players.
Yi is making millions playing in china already, financially he won't suffer if a rookie contract is all he can gets.
so unless he's convinced that the team drafts him will make him a good player, he's not coming.

Then don't go to the NBA. If you go there, it's to compete against the best, and you have to accept whatever happens in the draft. I hope Yi doesn't get his wish, as it would be a terrible example for future international prospects.

All Star
» Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:32 am
Damn...if i am in Draft i will do the same like Yi...i'll tell everybody that i am only want to play for my GSW, i love BayArea....my home is BayArea....BayArea food is No.1.......All the entertainment are available in BayArea.....if other teams take me....for sure when i play with GSW...i will ask for sick leave or vacation...i don't want to play with my team and saw they lost.....or maybe i make a lot turnover... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .....coz i love BayArea....

Franchise Player
» Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:07 am
William_GSW wrote:Damn...if i am in Draft i will do the same like Yi...i'll tell everybody that i am only want to play for my GSW, i love BayArea....my home is BayArea....BayArea food is No.1.......All the entertainment are available in BayArea.....if other teams take me....for sure when i play with GSW...i will ask for sick leave or vacation...i don't want to play with my team and saw they lost.....or maybe i make a lot turnover... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .....coz i love BayArea....

:shock: Punctuation is your friend. :shock:

All Star
» Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:07 pm
simple question: Can you name me one other business in the USA besides professional sports where an individual cannot work for any company that wants to hire him/her? Just curious...

Role Player
» Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:53 pm
coltraning wrote:simple question: Can you name me one other business in the USA besides professional sports where an individual cannot work for any company that wants to hire him/her? Just curious...

all of them allow you to not accept the position if they offer it to you :P unless jury duty is a job

All Star
» Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:23 pm
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2943723

owner of Yi's team says there is not a chance Yi will play in the Chinese League next year.

All Star
» Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:58 pm
aaustria wrote:
coltraning wrote:simple question: Can you name me one other business in the USA besides professional sports where an individual cannot work for any company that wants to hire him/her? Just curious...

all of them allow you to not accept the position if they offer it to you :P unless jury duty is a job

It would be interesting if there was no draft and teams just recruited people like other businesses do. Not only would they have to offer good pay, but the coach would have to be popular, the city environment attractive and the incentives kept a coming. A winning tradition would be important to many, as would the style of play, who else was on the team and so on.

I wonder if the result would be that there would only be a couple of super teams where all the hot players ended up and a bunch of only fair teams where average players could at least get an offer and play.

It is interesting that drafts are held only at the lowest levels of sport like Little League, youth basketball and such, and at the pro level. In between, at the middle school, high school and college levels, the players often have at least some control where they play.

Franchise Player
» Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:14 pm
carlgo wrote:
aaustria wrote:

It would be interesting if there was no draft and teams just recruited people like other businesses do. Not only would they have to offer good pay, but the coach would have to be popular, the city environment attractive and the incentives kept a coming. A winning tradition would be important to many, as would the style of play, who else was on the team and so on.

I wonder if the result would be that there would only be a couple of super teams where all the hot players ended up and a bunch of only fair teams where average players could at least get an offer and play.

It is interesting that drafts are held only at the lowest levels of sport like Little League, youth basketball and such, and at the pro level. In between, at the middle school, high school and college levels, the players often have at least some control where they play.

1. It is called free agency :shock: :wink:
2. There would be. In baseball, it is called the Yankees :shock: :wink:

Franchise Player
» Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:57 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
carlgo wrote:
aaustria wrote:

Yep. No draft means everyone enters free agency. If the MLB were to have no draft and everyone entered free agency... the Yankees may end up winning almost every big named FA from everyone thanks to the pay they'd offer.

Hall of Famer
» Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:00 am
The draft is essential if a professional sports league is to atteact any sort of popularity and to involve more than a few teams. The draft has allowed smaller market teams to get talent, which thus gets popularity from fans living in the region those teams represent and thus keeps competition high in the league

Hall of Famer
» Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:20 am
xbaywarrior wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
carlgo wrote:
aaustria wrote:

Yep. No draft means everyone enters free agency. If the MLB were to have no draft and everyone entered free agency... the Yankees may end up winning almost every big named FA from everyone thanks to the pay they'd offer.

Yeah, as an example of what would happen, just look at european soccer, where there are a few big teams that always sign the best players and leave no chance for small teams to enjoy success. It just makes for far more boring competitions.

In the NBA, the Knicks would be the Yankees.

The draft means parity (as long as teams draft well, that is), and I think that¡s the way it should be. A salary cap + draft is the system every league should follow if they want to be fairn and give an equal chance to every team.