We Must Re-Sign Matt Barnes

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Rookie
» Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:15 pm
THIS IS A MUST!!!

Matt Barnes brings so much energy off the bench its ridiculous.

If we don't get him to resign, It'll be a major downer for me. I just thought I'd make a thread for MB and give him some love.

Hopefully we can get rid of Peitrus.

All Star
» Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:18 pm
Tough call on this one. Barnes or Pietrus? I like them both.

Starting Lineup
» Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:22 pm
For me its Barnes in a landslide. Pietrus' basketball IQ is on par with a bag of rocks. HE hasnt got a clue and its been 3 years. I used to love his athleticisim and heart but I realize now i was comparing him to dunleavy, murphy, fisher and foyle. When we see him next to SJAX, Harrington, Monta, Biedrins and Barnes its not even close.

Plus those free throws vs. Utah are gonna haunt him if he stays here.

All Star
» Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:27 pm
Yeah, this isn't a tough call.

As sociable as Pietrus is the choice would be to resign Barnes in a landslide. This isn't a spite move for those Utah free throws, it is just that we are better served spending money elsewhere or sitting on it. Azuibuke can do everything that Pietrus can at half the cost. I would only resign Barnes if we don't have to overpay him. The time to stock up on space is now, considering we might be having to negotiate with AB and Monta this offseason and if we want any room to operate in the glorious FA market that next summer will bring.

Starting Lineup
» Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:31 pm
Pay the man, Barnes that is. Pietrus should be a good trade filler.

All Star
» Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:36 pm
i think re-sign Barnes and pietrus is a really good things...we need them on the bench...they play pretty well especially back up for first team but we have to negotiate about the salary....especially barnes, if is not GSW take him maybe his career in NBA already finished.So plz don't ask a lot...we are not Knicks...Thx

Role Player
» Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:42 pm
Definitely bring him back. I remember his interview with Jim Rome. Jim asked where he wanted to play. Matt said something along the lines of "My agent said not to say this, but I want to stay with Golden State."

You could tell he wants to be in a place where he fits and will be successful instead of bolting for a bigger deal. What do you think is a fair deal for Barnes? He's worth the full MLE. And please DON'T re-sign Pietrus.

» Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:53 pm
uptempo wrote:Tough call on this one. Barnes or Pietrus? I like them both.

Oh, its no contest for me.

Pietrus is a better defender, but Barnes is a better shooter, rebounder, playmaker, handler, and an inch taller. Pietrus travels a lot and makes dumb decisions.

Hall of Famer
» Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:26 pm
Barnes is definately a must to keep as his playmaking ability, as well as his outside shot are so valuable.

It all depends on what happens over the next few days and weeks. If Mullin gets either KG or Amare, he'd have traded something like Harrington, BWright and salary fillers like Jask and Foyle and thus some roster spots would have to be filled. If Mullin doesn't trade Pietrus in that trade as well, he might have to resign him just to fill a spot. If Toronto doesn't offer Pietrus the MLE, maybe then Mullin can keep Pietrus for no more than 3-3.5 million. Barnes should be resigned for no more than 4 milion, a reasonable amount for a bench player that gets usually no more than 20mins a game.

Barnes definately is a must to keep

All Star
» Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:38 pm
I see Barnes as being versatile enough to play both small forward as well as power forward, while Pietrus can play small forward as well as shooting guard. Barnes has a better transition game; Pietrus is a better defender and spot up shooter. Barnes is a better finisher; Pietrus a better rebounder. I am OK with either one being signed and OK with either one leaving; however, I don't see both being re-signed.

All Star
» Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:11 pm

yikes...

you'd actually struggle between choosing the two?

i haven't read any of the other posts here...wonder who else thinks it's a toss up between MB & MP.

All Star
» Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:13 pm
ok, i feel better knowing you're the only one. i was questioning my player eval ability.

Rookie
» Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:23 am
Agreed, I really want barnes back. Why can we not have barnes and pietrus back? I dont think they'll command that much money. Im sure they'll get paid less then kapano and walton.

Hall of Famer
» Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:32 am

I don't. Sign Barnes, let Pietrus go... It's not even close.

Hall of Famer
» Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:41 am
The shocker wrote:Agreed, I really want barnes back. Why can we not have barnes and pietrus back? I dont think they'll command that much money. Im sure they'll get paid less then kapano and walton.

Depending on what other trades Mullin does, which likely wil involve sending more players than are received, both Barnes and Pietrus may have to be resigned