next year team

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Rookie
» Sat May 19, 2007 11:53 pm
well, we can comparate the warriors with the best bulls, they was the most complete team in the nba history (for me) they got everything:
harper, jordan, pippen, rodman, longley
maybe u cant say to me, c'on, harper is a common player, they count with "god" and longley was a stupid, but the point is that they made everything, harper was the pointguard, his deffence was good, shooting, well, why u want to shoot if u have jordan and pippen for that, well, jordan and pippen were a terrific duo, that bulls did more than one showtime, and rodman and longley did they work perfectly under the table, so, the warriors have the scorers (davis, j-rich, ellis, jackson,harrington), and we have the showtime, ask for davis, ellis and j-rich, so the problem is the hard defence and the table, harrington is not good enough as power forward, biedrins does his work perfectly, rebounds, blocks, i cant talk about the defence cause i havent seen a warriors game with him, so we need more inside game, two players who intimide, who makes kobe or tmac think twice before going into the basket, and the other point is the defence, i know that baron can defence really good cause i follow him since the hornets times, j-rich has the athetic body to defend good, but can say if he does, and jackson i know that he can play really good defence, so well, the principal subject to change is the inside duo, we need someone who can go to destroy with biedrins, i think that a stromile swift is perfect, or a wilcox

Hall of Famer
» Sun May 20, 2007 12:15 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:I think the team can be championship caliber with a few adjustments, more rebounding being one of them. Another player 6'10 or over is needed as permanent part of the rotation. I have already compared the team to early 1990s Sonics in the way they shoot, run and play swarming defense but the major difference is, the Sonics has Kemp, Perkins and McKey/Schrempf, all of which could block some shots and rebound well. Harrington can do at PF but unless Biedrins can be even more than he was this season, especially scoring, another big is needed to play extensive time

Yeah, we just lack that Shawn Kemp-like player. Other than that, I agree. Actually, we're even more talented than that team at other positions... (J-Rich and Monta instead of Hersey Hawkins, for example).

Definately but it just shows how important good bigs and rebounding is. I really do believe that this current team we have is capable of winning it all or coming close but things like shooting have to go right and the swarming defense has to be active all the time. Maybe Powell can be that PF as he has shown enough mobility to be effective. Either way, the team must be kept intact or it will all likely disappear quick

All Star
» Tue May 29, 2007 7:34 am
TMC wrote:
32 wrote:Dunleavy was traded for Stephen Jackson, who I'd take over Boozer or Wilcox any day... if nothing else, because Boozer and Wilcox both have laughable contracts.

Over Wilcox, sure. But not over Boozer. I'm a believer after this season. That's exactly the kind of guy we lack...

I know I am a little late on replying to this subject because I was on vacation, however, I'm not sure i would take Jackson over Wilcox. This guy is a beast who the Warriors have not matched up very well against him. He is young, mean, and tough. Outside of Boozer he probably is the most muscled body player in the NBA. He is just the type of enforcer the Warriors need.

» Tue May 29, 2007 10:27 am
ReginaldLewis wrote:
TMC wrote:
32 wrote:Dunleavy was traded for Stephen Jackson, who I'd take over Boozer or Wilcox any day... if nothing else, because Boozer and Wilcox both have laughable contracts.

Over Wilcox, sure. But not over Boozer. I'm a believer after this season. That's exactly the kind of guy we lack...

I know I am a little late on replying to this subject because I was on vacation, however, I'm not sure i would take Jackson over Wilcox. This guy is a beast who the Warriors have not matched up very well against him. He is young, mean, and tough. Outside of Boozer he probably is the most muscled body player in the NBA. He is just the type of enforcer the Warriors need.

But Boozer and Wilcox are both tempo-killers in Nellie's offense. Neither can run, neither have had consistently good seasons in the NBA, and neither are very skilled (just amazingly athletic).

I know the series against Utah was tough, but Warriors fans shouldn't let that scar their perspective the way it has. Jesus, now the majority of this board is willing to trade half the fuckin team away for a decent rebounder. Guys who can board are a dime a dozen. We can grab one in the draft, pick up a free agent, or trade for one a HELLUVA cheaper than SJax, JRich, or any other franchise player I've seen involved in these trades lately.

Rebounding is important, yes... but not important enough to explode the current core. :!:

All Star
» Tue May 29, 2007 10:44 am
32 wrote:
ReginaldLewis wrote:
TMC wrote:

But Boozer and Wilcox are both tempo-killers in Nellie's offense. Neither can run, neither have had consistently good seasons in the NBA, and neither are very skilled (just amazingly athletic).

I know the series against Utah was tough, but Warriors fans shouldn't let that scar their perspective the way it has. Jesus, now the majority of this board is willing to trade half the fuckin team away for a decent rebounder. Guys who can board are a dime a dozen. We can grab one in the draft, pick up a free agent, or trade for one a HELLUVA cheaper than SJax, JRich, or any other franchise player I've seen involved in these trades lately.

Rebounding is important, yes... but not important enough to explode the current core. :!:

I understnad 32 but all the running teams always lose to the power teams in the playoffs. No Warriors, no Suns ie. Even running teams have to set-up and pund it inside sometimes. Also the Warriors were hurt and constantly in foul trouble trying to guard the teams big men. Even Paul Milsap looked like an allstar against the smallish Warriors. May Powell can turn into that player but we need a t least one to get the other teams big men in foul trouble.

All Star
» Wed May 30, 2007 12:01 am
32 wrote:
ReginaldLewis wrote:
TMC wrote:

Though I totally agree with you on rebounders being a dime dozen and not something we should demolish the squad for Boozer is not a one-trick pony. He's ridiculously skilled. He can shoot it with Tim Duncan in his face out to 16-17 feet and hit consistently and his moves around the basket are top of the line. He's a legitimate all-star that will grow better and better. If only he could defend a little better I'd have him pegged as a one of the top five forwards in the league.

Hall of Famer
» Wed May 30, 2007 4:12 am
cladden wrote:Though I totally agree with you on rebounders being a dime dozen and not something we should demolish the squad for Boozer is not a one-trick pony. He's ridiculously skilled. He can shoot it with Tim Duncan in his face out to 16-17 feet and hit consistently and his moves around the basket are top of the line. He's a legitimate all-star that will grow better and better. If only he could defend a little better I'd have him pegged as a one of the top five forwards in the league.

Yeah, I agree with cladden about Boozer. This season changed my mind about him. I thought that he was a "cheap player" til this season. You know, cheap boards, cheap points... someone that makes a living of his dirty work and whose numbers looked impressive without really being. But this season has proven wrong (once again). He's much more than that.

He still can't defend much, but that's his only big flaw.

Rookie
» Wed May 30, 2007 10:57 am
Millsap didn't look like an All-Star, I'd be very surprised if his #'s were even 1 ppg or 1 rpg different from his season averages. He did what he always does.

Starting Lineup
» Wed May 30, 2007 4:05 pm
We will be fortunate to make the playoffs and second round for another consecutive in the talent laden Western Conference. I don't see the Warriors or the Suns excelling against the likes of San Antonio or Utah which have better front court players. Our problem is our overall roster, we have 8 perimeter players and front court players with some serious limitations, the speedy, long Biedrins, is not a low post scorer, Foyle has hands of cement, Harrington is the worse PF rebounder in the league, OByrant is years away to becoming a Bynum level player, not much to work with. I have yet to see a series where we can man up, which with a small lineup spells disaster on the defensive boards. Nellie, will only play players who will help is offensive schemes, Sloan finds players that fit his offensive scheme (pick and rolls and easy baskets), Pop picks players that play gritty man to man and funnel the dribble penetrators to the long arms of Duncan. Our draft picks have been a little questionable (Diogu has not developed, OB is years away, Dunleavy never learned to use his height, Murphy was just awful on defense, Pietrus never acquired skills to match his athleticism. ) We need to embrace our mediocrity and build a team that will reach, swarm and run, run run. Who needs defense or rebounding when we can knock down 10-15 3 pointers per game? It seems easier to find flawed players like Biedrins, Harrington and Barnes that fit the Nellie system, than to win the O'Neil, KG or similar type of sweepstakes. There is no question that any guard like Law, Pruit, Javaris, Nick Young, Rudy Fernandez would contribute off the bench ... but plenty of questions with the bigs.

Starting Lineup
» Wed May 30, 2007 4:24 pm
What do you guys think of this, don't resign Matt Barnes, don't resign Mickael Pietrus and hopefully Foyle retires for an office job for the Warriors. Now with that done, sign Rashard Lewis and then resign Ellis, resign Biedrins then trade them for Kevin Garnett added with POB and 1st round pick.

I think it looks pretty legit.

Franchise Player
» Wed May 30, 2007 4:38 pm
BT wrote:What do you guys think of this, don't resign Matt Barnes, don't resign Mickael Pietrus and hopefully Foyle retires for an office job for the Warriors. Now with that done, sign Rashard Lewis and then resign Ellis, resign Biedrins then trade them for Kevin Garnett added with POB and 1st round pick.

I think it looks pretty legit.

Nice little dream there but not a reality. First off Foyle is NOT going to walk away from 19mill over the next two years. A contract buyout is probably the best we can hope for and that would probably not save us a ton. Maybe we could get him to accept 15 mill or so for the chance to go somewhere else and actually play.

Secondly, we are already over the cap next year and that is without Barnes on the roster so we get ZERO cap savings by not signing him. Same with Pietrus.

So these scenarios do not give us any money. No way we get get Lewis unless we do a sign and trade deal. But it would take quite a bit to get that done and only guy I would trade a couple of our starters for is KG. Otherwise I want to see what this team can do for a full season and just add an athletic rebounding type for our midlevel exemption.... someone like Melvin Ely... somebody like that.

Hall of Famer
» Wed May 30, 2007 11:37 pm
TMC wrote:
cladden wrote:Though I totally agree with you on rebounders being a dime dozen and not something we should demolish the squad for Boozer is not a one-trick pony. He's ridiculously skilled. He can shoot it with Tim Duncan in his face out to 16-17 feet and hit consistently and his moves around the basket are top of the line. He's a legitimate all-star that will grow better and better. If only he could defend a little better I'd have him pegged as a one of the top five forwards in the league.

Yeah, I agree with cladden about Boozer. This season changed my mind about him. I thought that he was a "cheap player" til this season. You know, cheap boards, cheap points... someone that makes a living of his dirty work and whose numbers looked impressive without really being. But this season has proven wrong (once again). He's much more than that.

He still can't defend much, but that's his only big flaw.

I'm the same. I was in all the Loozer namecalling and all because the guy had been nothing more than an injuryprone, relatively unskilled player but this season he was great and deinately one of the best PFs in the nba