Trade Baron Davis while his stock is HIGH

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Rookie
» Wed May 16, 2007 9:28 am
If Davis is insisting on cashing in on his hot play, and NOT thinking about the team (he is already making 15 million a year) I say this -

The future can be bright even without him. I suggest we save his huge salary, trade him and angle to get Aaron Brooks from Oregon or another top point guard, and possibly another pick for Davis. Aaron is a much better 3 pt shooter and will likely be a star in the NBA. Davis' health problems are only going to get worse as he gets older not better. Also, he is a career 30% 3pt shooter NOT the 45% guy that got hot in the playoffs. When he's shooting 45% from 3 he's the best point guard in the league, but when he's shooting 30 or sub 30 like he did in game 4 and 5 he's much more human and actually hurts us.

All Star
» Wed May 16, 2007 9:33 am
did this dude just say aaron brooks? did he say that we should somehow get tiny a** aaron brooks?

i have an even better idea to secure that bright future you want...how 'bout we trade ellis for that athletic big man we need? how does that sound airellis?

Rookie
» Wed May 16, 2007 9:40 am
You have to look at the big picture with Baron Davis. He's sustained so many injuries throughout his career and he doesn't have many years left. Even if he plays 5 more years, he won't suit up for more than half of those games.

On the other hand, you'll never get full value for him in a trade, so it's a Catch 22: risk having him around and eating up salary cap space and get injured, or trade him and possibly get nothing of real value back in return.

By the way, Baron Davis is the only reason the Warriros were in the playoffs in the first place.

Starting Lineup
» Wed May 16, 2007 9:43 am
I say give baron another year, he says he wants a 4 year extension in the summer, but that could be a bit long....I don't know. I do know Aaron Brooks is definitely not worth giving up Bdiddy for, you must be on crack.

Rookie
» Wed May 16, 2007 9:49 am
aletha33 wrote:did this dude just say aaron brooks? did he say that we should somehow get tiny a** aaron brooks?

i have an even better idea to secure that bright future you want...how 'bout we trade ellis for that athletic big man we need? how does that sound airellis?

AB lead the Pac 10 in scoring. He will be a 40%+ 3pt shooter in the NBA that's a heck of a lot better than Davis. We might also be able to get Mike Conley from Ohio St. I would also trade Baron for the rights to a young center that can score in the post like Horford and give the PG reigns to Ellis. The point is, if Baron Davis is going to stick up the Warriors for money now after he had 1 hot month of shooting behind the arc, when he can't play more than 50 games a season, than I say the hell with him - nows the best time to trade him.

All Star
» Wed May 16, 2007 9:52 am
AirEllis wrote:
aletha33 wrote:did this dude just say aaron brooks? did he say that we should somehow get tiny a** aaron brooks?

AB lead the Pac 10 in scoring. He will be a 40%+ 3pt shooter in the NBA that's a heck of a lot better than Davis. We might also be able to get Mike Conley from Ohio St. I would also trade Baron for the rights to a young center that can score in the post like Horford and give the PG reigns to Ellis. The point is, if Baron Davis is going to stick up the Warriors for money now after he had 1 hot month of shooting behind the arc, when he can't play more than 50 games a season, than I say the hell with him - nows the best time to trade him.

see, now i know you'd fail as a GM...

hand over the PG responsibilities to Ellis? LOL, that's the second funniest thing I've read on the board today...actually third...

the second is your infatuation with AB...

Rookie
» Wed May 16, 2007 9:55 am
Old Timer wrote:By the way, Baron Davis is the only reason the Warriros were in the playoffs in the first place.

That's not quite true. The trade with Indiana is why we were in the playoffs. Stephen Jackson and to a lesser extent Al Harrington really put us over the hump. Davis loses games for you too when he is missing his outside shot and missing his foul shots.

Starting Lineup
» Wed May 16, 2007 10:02 am
I'd say go ahead and trade Baron, but only trade him for a banger. His stock is high right now and he can be moved a lot easier, but we need someone who's big and is a proven talent.

Rookie
» Wed May 16, 2007 10:04 am
aletha33 wrote:[hand over the PG responsibilities to Ellis? LOL, that's the second funniest thing I've read on the board today...actually third...

the second is your infatuation with AB...

Why not? Ellis won games for us when Davis was hurt. He could be a great PG. A good GM is not going to tie up all his money on a PG that can't play more than 50 games just because he had 1 hot month of shooting and is only getting older. He's shaky at the foul line too when the game is on the line. Put Horford in the post and now we can rebound better and have a guy who can score 15 to 25 a game down there. We have money to pay our young stars. We have to be a better team.

Rookie
» Wed May 16, 2007 10:11 am
You don't trade away possibly the best PG in the league that is such a WARRIORS move ... Gilbert Arenas anybody ?

No, first of all BARON DAVIS' stock, as well as he's played in the playoffs, IS NOT HIGH other teams know He's injury prone and we wouldn't get fair value back for him

Secondly all we need to do is find a Guard Preferably better than ELLIS to back him up and we'll be set at the PG position for years to come

» Wed May 16, 2007 10:32 am
AirEllis wrote:If Davis is insisting on cashing in on his hot play, and NOT thinking about the team (he is already making 15 million a year) I say this -

The future can be bright even without him. I suggest we save his huge salary, trade him and angle to get Aaron Brooks from Oregon or another top point guard, and possibly another pick for Davis. Aaron is a much better 3 pt shooter and will likely be a star in the NBA. Davis' health problems are only going to get worse as he gets older not better. Also, he is a career 30% 3pt shooter NOT the 45% guy that got hot in the playoffs. When he's shooting 45% from 3 he's the best point guard in the league, but when he's shooting 30 or sub 30 like he did in game 4 and 5 he's much more human and actually hurts us.

After this season, this sounds like blasphemy to me. Baron Davis is the heart, soul, backbone, engine, and leader of this team. Getting rid of him is quite possibly the worst thing we could do.

All Star
» Wed May 16, 2007 10:33 am
Getting rid of baron = Warriors death unless we get Steve Nash in return.

Hall of Famer
» Wed May 16, 2007 10:38 am
Eh... there's a reason we beat the Mavs in the first round. Baron (and S-Jax, but mostly Baron).

I'm not opposed to a Baron trade... but we better get the f*cking Dwayne Wade or something like that.

btw, if Baron leaves, we have no PG. Ellis can't play there full time.

Starting Lineup
» Wed May 16, 2007 11:05 am
Wow, Baron Davis trade for unproven talent? The only way I would allow this to happen is if the potential is completely secured and theres only three players in the draft that have that: Oden, Durant, Wright. The Warriors need to get rid of Ellis, his stock is tremendously high and if he has a break out (not his face) season, then he will be asking for Jason Richardson kind of money. I just don't think it's worth it at the end.

So get sign and trade Biedrins, Ellis, filler, and whoever to pick up a proven talent in the NBA and then championships.

All Star
» Wed May 16, 2007 11:09 am
Aaron Brooks, as great as a college players as he is, isn't even an NBA starter . . . much less a suitable option to Baron.

Everyone else has said it already so there's no use to going through all the reasons why Baron is the heart and soul of this team but he is.

I'd be okay for a 4 year extension but make sure that it isn't backloaded and he won't get a significant pay raise. Otherwise it would be better to just ride out his current contract.