Deron Williams vs Baron Davis

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Starting Lineup
» Sat May 12, 2007 1:49 am
There were some Jazz fans that came to this forum saying that Deron Williams can completly outplay Baron Davis, and is better than an "overrated, injury proned, emotional" point guard. That Deron Williams completly "outplayed" Baron in Game 1 and in 4-5 years, he won't become a Baron, he'll become something on a completly different level from Baron.

Question now is, do you believe?

Rookie
» Sat May 12, 2007 1:50 am
who give a **** what they think really

Hall of Famer
» Sat May 12, 2007 1:51 am
Deron is still a top 10 PG but he isn't at Baron's level. He has been spanked the last two games and it was pretty even in Game 1. Maybe in 4 years Deron will become the player Baron is now

Rookie
» Sat May 12, 2007 3:38 am
Please, remind me why Baron is so much better than Deron - other than "because I say so".

I agree that Baron was amazing tonight, and Deron had a horrible game, but when you look at the full season, they were pretty even.

Deron led Baron in most categories during the season, and Utah had 9 more wins that GS - yet he isn't on Baron's level? That just doesn't make any sense.

Hall of Famer
» Sat May 12, 2007 3:53 am
UtahSheetFan wrote:Please, remind me why Baron is so much better than Deron - other than "because I say so".

I agree that Baron was amazing tonight, and Deron had a horrible game, but when you look at the full season, they were pretty even.

Deron led Baron in most categories during the season, and Utah had 9 more wins that GS - yet he isn't on Baron's level? That just doesn't make any sense.

1. Baron had injury problems this season and yet still had a great season, hard to do when you are not fully healthy often.

2. The Warriors had many injuries all over as JRich missed many games and some 4 other players missed time as well. That contibutes to the less wins by the Warriors.

3. Baron also had Dunleavy and Murphy, two very soft players who didn't produce, on his team forat least the first 3 months. This translates to less talent to work with on his team than Deron had often throughout the season.

4. Baron has outplayed Deron this series so far, not even close! The last two games have been butt spankings in favor of Baron

Rookie
» Sat May 12, 2007 4:05 am
So...did you happen to watch last night's game??!! I mean really...Okay, I'll remind you why-Williams is a very good point guard, he plays with alot of intensity and heart. He can certainly shoot and has great ball handling skills. That being said, he simply doesn't have the physical skills that Davis has. Baron has more speed AND more strength...I mean there were 4 or 5 plays in the game last night that were absolutely spellbinding--did you see the one play where Baron beat FOUR guys on a drive? Or the 360 move through two completely stunned guys on another? He has an elusive quality about him that very few players in the league have. How about the killer dunk? Hang time, he's got hang time. The 6 steals? Did you see the reverse layup where he beat--oh, that was just 3 guys! Stay tuned for more of Baron's awesome play in Game 4!

Rookie
» Sat May 12, 2007 9:56 pm
migya wrote:
UtahSheetFan wrote:Please, remind me why Baron is so much better than Deron - other than "because I say so".

1. Baron had injury problems this season and yet still had a great season, hard to do when you are not fully healthy often.

So, Baron is better than Deron because Baron made a big deal of his injuries, and Deron didn't

2. The Warriors had many injuries all over as JRich missed many games and some 4 other players missed time as well. That contibutes to the less wins by the Warriors.

As did the Jazz.

3. Baron also had Dunleavy and Murphy, two very soft players who didn't produce, on his team forat least the first 3 months. This translates to less talent to work with on his team than Deron had often throughout the season.

I'll agree with that. I'll also agree with you that Baron isn't able to make other players around him better. Dunleavy is a big man that doesn't like to play near the basket and has defensive weaknesses, right? Good thing Deron doesn't have to deal with players like that.

4. Baron has outplayed Deron this series so far, not even close! The last two games have been butt spankings in favor of Baron.

Baron kicked Deron's butt in game 2? Baron had more points, but I remember watching Deron hit shots at the end of the game, and Baron miss shots at the end of the game. So - if you don't consider winning important, I guess Baron did better.

Now, I'm not questioning Baron's talent at all. I just think that Deron is as good as he is.

warriorsalaskafan wrote:That being said, he simply doesn't have the physical skills that Davis has.

And Tim Duncan doesn't have the physical skills that Stromille Swift has - would you make that trade?

Role Player
» Sat May 12, 2007 10:01 pm
Baron has bitch slapped Deron in 2 of the 3 games. Baron is on teh same level as Kidd and Nash. Deron is in the 2nd tier. He's a damn good pg but he's no Baron.

Like Fitz said last night, don't mess with the boss in his house.

Rookie
» Sat May 12, 2007 10:05 pm

Deron was great in Game 1, but he was helped some by Nelson playing Biedrins just 21 minutes in that game which opens up the lane for the Jazz. Davis is quicker than Williams and he has trouble stopping Baron's dribble penetration (or Ellis') and that's putting him in foul trouble. If I was Utah, I would not have Williams guarding Baron much in the first half. Also, you should try to get Biedrins in foul trouble. If you get him out of the game, the Jazz can throw a block party in the lane and celebrate the victory. Lucky for you our small ball coach was taking him out himself in the first two games.

All Star
» Sat May 12, 2007 10:16 pm
deron is a good PG no doubt. but I don't think he's at Davis' level yet. Baron is absolutely fearless when driving to the hoop as evidenced by his numerous attacks against taller players throughout his career. Also, his ability to dribble and weave through multiple players on his way to the basket. Baron is like what one video I remember described it as "the moves of a streetball player and the smarts of an NBA player". He also has an assortment of finishing moves which deron doesn't have, has not developed yet or has not shown me in the last 3 games. He has a good big man in the center in boozer which he can pretty much dump the ball into if things get crowded. Deron also has okur which he can kick the ball to for the three and has a lot of options. The only thing that he has like baron is guts and heart but those two alone won't help anybody win. I also think that Sloans O sets help him out and simplify things a bit. In a run and gun open offense like ours, i'm not sure he can thrive.

Will Deron get there? Oh ya definitely. Is he there now? No.

Franchise Player
» Sat May 12, 2007 10:46 pm
Baron Davis is clearly the better point guard. Now you can go ahead, make your case. But it's clear, Baron has outplayed Deron. If anyone's noticed, Deron would settle for a jumper most of the time rather than duck his head down and hope for the call. Baron is fearless as tkono said. He'll drive on you using his body to lay it up, or on another occasion, posterize. :mrgreen:

Baron is superior with his strength. He can take over the game when he knows his team needs him to make plays or create for others. Deron would settle for his own and pass if he sees an opportunity. I'm not saying he's a ball hog. Deron has shown he can take over a game just as well as Baron can. Overall, using stats is silly. Comparing their career and season with the stats proves that one player was superior in that particular category. It's not the numbers you put up, it's how you play the game. :wink: And Baron's clearly proven, he damn well knows who's really the better PG in this series.

Site Admin
» Sat May 12, 2007 11:01 pm

I've posted the statistical compairison before and am too lazy to do it again, but if you check the stats - baron actually lead Deron in many if not most categories and leap and bonds better in points rebs and stls, the only category that was really in derons favor was assists. oh yeah he was on a bad team for 80% of the season and was injured for atleast 20 games. Check the facts/stats before you post out of your ass.

Deron is amazing though, and if we didn't have BD then i would gladly take D.Will we is a very good player and will emerge to be one of the best in the league if not the best (if he isn't already). Just keep your fingers crossed that he doesn't suffer half the injuries that BD has.

Franchise Player
» Sun May 13, 2007 12:05 am
Also, just a fun fact. Would you rather take a PG who posterized over a PF/ex-Warrior named Ike Diogu who does not play defense and is always lost defensively or a PG who posterized over a SF/premiere shot blocker named Andrei Kirilenko aka AK-47 who's been giving the Warriors hell in the post when driving for a layup?

Just a random fun fact to throw in this whole controvarsy. Have to bring up something "humorous" in here.

All Star
» Sun May 13, 2007 12:08 am
xbaywarrior wrote:Also, just a fun fact. Would you rather take a PG who posterized over a PF/ex-Warrior named Ike Diogu who does not play defense and is always lost defensively or a PG who posterized over a SF/premiere shot blocker named Andrei Kirilenko aka AK-47 who's been giving the Warriors hell in the post when driving for a layup?

Just a random fun fact to throw in this whole controvarsy. Have to bring up something "humorous" in here.

it definitely made it sweeter, for sure. I'd like to see him do that over Bowen if we see them in the next round. Stoudemire is right about Ginobili and him.

All Star
» Sun May 13, 2007 2:43 am
I can't believe Utah fans are arguing about this. Baron is more skilled and athletic than Deron. Sure, he got outplayed in game one. But if you look at their seasons Baron is clearly superior.