A question for Warrior Fans

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Rookie
» Mon May 07, 2007 8:23 am
Seriously, I'm wondering where all this over confidence is coming from? As a Jazz fan, I expected to come in here and obviously see a pro-warrior group, but I am shocked to see so many statements such as: "warriors will sweep", "warriors in 5", "Utah can't win in Oakland", etc........

Throughout NBA playoff history, it's pretty much been proven that defense and rebounding go a long way towards winning. Not only are those 2 areas that Utah will have an advantage in, it's going to be a HUGE advantage for Utah. I keep hearing how GS's 4 guard lineup will cause Utah fits. Conversely, I think GS is in trouble if they think they can trot out 4 guards and defend Utah successfully. Also, Utah should feast on offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points. As potent as your guys fast break has become, that doesn't mean much if you are getting out-boarded by 10 to 15 rebounds per game. Remember, Utah's a little more hard-nosed than Dallas. They aren't going to let GS force them into settling for jump shots.

Speaking of Dallas, they were extremely soft against you guys. They let GS dictate the tempo, and basically let you guys do whatever you wanted. If you are expecting to be able to get away with that against Utah, I think you will end up being extremely frustrated.

This isn't going to be a series in which GS is going to be able to play "And-1" type of basketball and expect to walk away with a series win. All of the "experts" are picking GS, and that's just fine. They were all picking Houston as well.

In closing, all I can say is that I sincerely hope that your team is as overconfident as most of you in here, because if that's the case this series will be over before it started, and it will be Utah moving on to lose to San Antonio, not GS.

All Star
» Mon May 07, 2007 8:35 am
well you are flat out wrong about defense; Utah is the #18 team in the league in defense and is actually comparable to the healthy Warriors in that regard.

We're overconfident because you guys are a Mavericks, and we just murdered the Mavericks. We also murdered you guys the last time we played. And also, Warriors fans are generally overconfident; 95% of us said the Warriors would beat Dallas before game one of that series.

Rookie
» Mon May 07, 2007 8:47 am
Your defence isnt that good.
Utah will probably take more boards than the Warriors, But not in a way that will make u win the game.
You maybe saw some over-confident fans here that think Warriors will sweep, I realy dont agree with them
I definetly think that Utah are the favourites here, But only from one reason, The homecourt advantage.
Im so positive that U just cant beat us in Oakland.

Rookie
» Mon May 07, 2007 9:09 am
Utah's defensive ranking during the regular season has little bearing at this point.

They are the #1 defense in the playoffs in regards to opponents FG%. I think that says a lot considering they just faced Yao, a player who regularly shoots an extremely high % yet was held below 50% by Utah.

Not only that, if you think you can constantly run on us like Dallas you will be proven wrong. Utah will get out and run when the opportunity presents itself, but for the most part they are going to try and grind it out against you guys and try to force you into 1/2 court sets. I'm of the opinion that Utah has the personel to do just that.

And once again as far as your fast breaks go: It's hard to fast break off of a made basket, and it's impossible to fast break if your giving up offensive rebounds to the Jazz. One thing that's not up for debate in this series is that the Jazz are the better rebounding team. You guys will indeed get your chances to run, but if Utah does it's job on the boards, it will drastically reduce your fast break opportunities compared to how you were able to run against Dallas.

For the life of me, I can't understand why you guys think that your going to start 3 or 4 guards against a good rebounding team like Utah, and just automatically assume your high tempo offense is going to be there. If you don't believe me, just look at history: Small-ball NEVER wins long term in the NBA playoffs. Hell, it's the main reason Nelly couldn't get the job done his first go round in GS. I'm going to laugh when you guys get your 20+ fast break points per game yet Utah has 50 points in the paint and a +15 rebound advantage.

Also, and this is a serious question: I haven't heard much about how Baron's tweaked hammy is. Sometimes those type of injuries can linger and slow a player down. What's the reports coming out of Oakland?

Franchise Player
» Mon May 07, 2007 9:23 am
I agree with this poster to a degree. Again, this is why I favored a Houston matchup.

Utah has so much depth on the frontcourt. We all know the Boozers and such, but watch out for Paul Milsap. Dude is a beast. We are going to have a real problem on the glass. Besides leading the NBA in rebounding margin, they can also pull our best rebounder (Biedrins) outside as they have a C who can hit 3's.

We just can not match up with their frontcourt. However at PG,SG, and SF, we have the clear advantage. This why we stay small and dont try to matchup with thier frontcourt.... let them try to matchup with our PG and wing players.

If we can keep them off the offensive glass we win the series. If not, it is going to be tough.

Rookie
» Mon May 07, 2007 9:29 am
The key to winning the series is stopping CB of Utah.

Rookie
» Mon May 07, 2007 10:30 am
Though tonight we all have some answers regarding how the two styles of play will sort out, I think the Warrior Nation is seriously underestimating the quality of the ball Utah is playing right now. You have weapons 5 deep, Jazz have weapons eight deep. Granted, at nellieball your 5 weapons can outrun our first 5, but its a 7 game series and the Utah bench will likely be the difference maker. Will be interesting to see what happens if Monta, Harrington and AK-47 wake up. Could be an epic battle (for 6 games :)

Rookie
» Mon May 07, 2007 10:46 am
I am excited to watch this game and I was pulling for GS against the Mavs but I think that Utah creates problems for GS as well. Stopping Booz will not be easy but the real question is after you have stopped Booz what do you do with Okur. If Golden State plays small we play big and you have serious matchup problems with Okur lingering around the 3 point line stretching the defense. My prediction is that Matt Harpring and Jackson will duke it out at some point. Utah is very good at playing physical and rough which in this series is very important. If our jump shots are not falling you will run all over us with the long rebounds and it could go the opposite direction. One way or another it will be a fun series to watch.

Starting Lineup
» Mon May 07, 2007 10:48 am
Damn... You sound scared buddy!

And yes... Utah can play the running/fast paced game, but the Warriors can do it better and you know that.

I haven't heard anyone say anything about a sweep though. It'll be a good series.

Show some luv to Warriors baby! You're in our home court over here at goldenstwarriors.com.
Last edited by Josh Jamison on Mon May 07, 2007 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rookie
» Mon May 07, 2007 10:53 am
Ok, here are my real thoughts, Golden State will choke. They will underestimate the Jazz and it will be over befor they know it. Golden State will have it runs but the Jazz are a better team top to bottom. Utah Jazz in 5.

All in all good luck. I am looking forward to the games.

Starting Lineup
» Mon May 07, 2007 10:55 am
funkr1de wrote:Ok, here are my real thoughts, Golden State will choke. They will underestimate the Jazz and it will be over befor they know it. Golden State will have it runs but the Jazz are a better team top to bottom. Utah Jazz in 5.

All in all good luck. I am looking forward to the games.

:bs:

Starting Lineup
» Mon May 07, 2007 10:55 am
I was actually kind of scared and disappointed that the Warriors had to face the Utah Jazz. The Utah Jazz is an incredibly good team when the team is healthy and playing in sync. The frontcourt is extremely versatile which differs from the Dallas Mavericks team. The way I see it is, Mehmet Okur is a poor man's Dirk, Carlos Boozer is an offensive Erick Dumpier and AK47 a more defensive and better shooting Diop. Okur might disappear in this series but how the hell do the Warriors stop Carlos Loozer? The Warriors would have to zone D and play extremely quick and see if this causes problems because the Warriors big men cannot take Boozer in the paint. Mehmet Okur will be guarded by SJax, assuming, and I believe Okur won't be productive. AK47 is extremely streaky so if he's having another emotional breakdown then I don't see him that effective either but ****ing Carlos Loozer. Thus, me believing again, Al Harrington needs to step up.

But how the hell will the Utah backcourt guard the Warriors backcourt? Deron Williams on Baron Davis? Deron may have the strength to guard Baron but what about DWill's mobility to guard Baron Davis? I would see the series where Fisher and Williams doubles Baron but they wouldn't have the quickness to keep up, and would already have the kick out pass to Richardson or others for the three.

So, I'm thinking that Boozer will have a career series. AK47/Okur will disappear.

Warriors in 6

Starting Lineup
» Mon May 07, 2007 11:35 am
funkr1de wrote:I am excited to watch this game and I was pulling for GS against the Mavs but I think that Utah creates problems for GS as well. Stopping Booz will not be easy but the real question is after you have stopped Booz what do you do with Okur. If Golden State plays small we play big and you have serious matchup problems with Okur lingering around the 3 point line stretching the defense. My prediction is that Matt Harpring and Jackson will duke it out at some point. Utah is very good at playing physical and rough which in this series is very important. If our jump shots are not falling you will run all over us with the long rebounds and it could go the opposite direction. One way or another it will be a fun series to watch.

Okur lingering on the three point? That would only work if the Warriors put in Andris Biedrins in, and why would Biedrins guard Okur? He would just guard Boozer and Nellie would put Stephen Jackson on Okur. Now how effective will Okur's three point shooting will be? Not just that, you might say that then Okur can come in and post against Stephen Jackson. But that would just be stupid because Jackson can guard the post also. So overall, Okur will be completly useless and will only hit open jumpers. The only players that can dominate the court for the Utah Jazz is Carlos Boozer. If Boozer starts dominating the post, Nelson would double, which would leave an open man and most likely the double would come off AK47 to help Boozer and how "great has AK47 been"? Exactly.

Rookie
» Mon May 07, 2007 12:00 pm
BT Wrote:
...Not just that, you might say that then Okur can come in and post against Stephen Jackson. But that would just be stupid because Jackson can guard the post also. So overall, Okur will be completly useless and will only hit open jumpers.

Wow, that's just bad. You assume 6'8" G/F Stephen Jackson is going to have his way in the post defending a true 7-footer???

I hope Nelly is dumb enough to do this because it would be certain disaster for GS. Not only that, I'd love to see Jackson try to guard Okur on the permiter. Considering that Memo has the decided height advantage, I have a hard time seeing how SJ is going to bother his jumper all that much.

To just assume that Okur will be rendered "useless" during this series is more wishfull thinking on your part than anything else.

Also, I keep hearing how you guys have a huge advantage at the PG position. I think you're really overlooking Deron. Not only that, he's not playing with a tweaked hammy like Baron. We'll see. I have a feeling you'll be whistling a different tune about Deron after the first few games.

Good luck tonight! This will be your guys' best chance at winning in SLC seeing as how you are coming in more rested. If you can't steal one tonight, it's probably not going to be that long of a series.

Hall of Famer
» Mon May 07, 2007 12:05 pm
WarriorDestroyer wrote:Wow, that's just bad. You assume 6'8" G/F Stephen Jackson is going to have his way in the post defending a true 7-footer???

I hope Nelly is dumb enough to do this because it would be certain disaster for GS. Not only that, I'd love to see Jackson try to guard Okur on the permiter. Considering that Memo has the decided height advantage, I have a hard time seeing how SJ is going to bother his jumper all that much.

Dirk was also a 7-footer and his height advantage didn't help him much against S-Jax... and Okur is definitely a worse player than Dirk.

I'm more worried about stopping Deron and Boozer than Okur...