How about NOT trading anyone?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Would you be disappointed if the Warriors had the same roster playing next year?

38%
Yes we need to make that one more big trade for that BIG MAN!!!
63%
No this team is the best the Warriors have been in years.

Total votes: 8

Rookie
» Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:30 pm
Everyone seems hell bent on knowing the next best move for the Warriors to acquire another player for the Warriors. I still hear people calling into KNBR with great ideas on how we could trade Pietrus, Richardson, and Sarunas for "A go to player" in Paul Pierce.

But why hasn't anyone said, hey our healthy roster together has a 11-3 record, lets keep this team together! Not to mention the obvious that the trade deadline has passed.

But regardless the Warriors seem to have finally found a system that works with a roster that has the right pieces, let them play together through this year and keep them together for the next year as well and let them get a whole season together under their belt before everyone gets Warrioritis and wants to trade 3 players away to implode the team and build again, i say KEEP THIS TEAM TOGETHER!!!!!!

Hall of Famer
» Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:24 pm
This lineup has done great but the obvious flaws are rebounding and defense and that must be addressed in the offseason. Maybe through the draft a good PF that fills these needs can be found, that way, no trading is required. It is more likely that trading will be required and now more than ever, the team has more pieces to use, since guys like Barnes and Pietrus can be resigned to fill positions that may become thinner with a trade

Franchise Player
» Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:48 pm
Yeah, rebounding is a major factor. Watching Duncan tonight was like watching Yao rebound over Boykins. He hardly at to jump at times. If the Warriors can get a big man to compliment Beans, we'll be there. I like our current team though, it's just that we need everyone playing to be a threat.

All Star
» Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:51 am
If it wasn't for injuries and a few mental lapses, this team would've been a lock for the 8th spot.

Right now, I'm content with where we are at. Once we make the playoffs and see where we can go, then we make the personnel decisions. But to make the finals, conference or the NBA finals, we need more defense and some size down low.

All Star
» Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:23 am
Squalldip wrote:Everyone seems hell bent on knowing the next best move for the Warriors to acquire another player for the Warriors. I still hear people calling into KNBR with great ideas on how we could trade Pietrus, Richardson, and Sarunas for "A go to player" in Paul Pierce.

But why hasn't anyone said, hey our healthy roster together has a 11-3 record, lets keep this team together! Not to mention the obvious that the trade deadline has passed.

But regardless the Warriors seem to have finally found a system that works with a roster that has the right pieces, let them play together through this year and keep them together for the next year as well and let them get a whole season together under their belt before everyone gets Warrioritis and wants to trade 3 players away to implode the team and build again, i say KEEP THIS TEAM TOGETHER!!!!!!

by trading pietrus, richardson, or sarunas, we wouldn't be imploding and building again. we'd be adding a piece(s) (at least in theory) to an already offensively explosive team with the hopes of constructing a team more suited to go deep into the playoffs.

however, there's something ironic about where our franchise is now. nelson had a very similar team before he made the infamous owens for richmond trade. they were small and always at a disadvantage but entertaining. now, i don't see much difference. will nelson and mullie pull the trigger again?

i can see them going either way with this...

All Star
» Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:28 pm
im all for keeping the team together but not if we have a chance to get even better by upgrading our front court. this is what i propose...

the memphis grizzlies are in rebuild mode and are in line to get the #1 overall pick. they already have guys like rudy gay and hakim warrick in which to start rebuilding their franchise...

now say the warriors can package their 14th pick and a player for a guy like gasol...

All Star
» Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:39 pm
this is a potential 50 win team as is if it doesn't get injured much next year. If me make the playoffs this year I'm all for making minor moves, otherwise keep these guys together

» Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:33 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:this is a potential 50 win team as is if it doesn't get injured much next year. If me make the playoffs this year I'm all for making minor moves, otherwise keep these guys together

That's the real trick.

We all know Baron Davis is injury-prone. And Stephen Jackson, traditionally, is a suspension risk. I know he's been an angel so far since being traded, but look at Ron Artest last year on the Kings compared to this year.

Jason Richardson's year was purely a setback; one that I called from a mile away (if you remember, I predicted an injury-riddled year for the usually healthy Richardson in my NBA Preview thread). I wouldn't be too worried about his health. But I'm going to go out on a limb and make another prediction about next season:

Right now, Golden State is thrilled with the production out of two, young bucks: Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins. Their play this season has been, somewhat, unexpected by the opposition... and they won't have the element of surprise on their side come next year. My worry isn't that teams will focus on them (because, honestly, they're probably talented enough to transcend that); my worry is that both players are horribly underweight for their respective positions.

Take, for example, Monta Ellis. He takes a Dwayne Wade level of punishment night in and night out... with one noticeable difference: DWade is about 30 pounds heavier (while still being the same height). Add in the fact that Ellis' knee was a huge worry coming into the draft... and you have a recipe for Ellis to miss 15-25 games next season. Easy.

Biedrins, as well, has had great success using his quickness against bigger players in the paint... but he's also vastly undersized for most of his competition. I don't think he's nearly as big a risk as Ellis is, but it wouldn't surprise me if Biedrins sat out 10 games next year with various injuries from mixing it up inside (ankle sprains, broken nose, bruised tailbone, ect).

Harrington and Richardson seem like our best bets, when counting on players to remain healthy. Our roster, when intact, is easily a 50-win team; I'd even wager high 50's if they keep playing like they have been lately. But health is the major issue with this team, even though defense, rebounding, and free throws get a lot of attention. If this team was healthy, it would be a 4th seed in the playoffs.

Starting Lineup
» Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:32 pm
We might have decent fire power, but get real, defense and rebounding wins games. The Utah Jazz are a classic, middle of the road, more or less boring team, that wins games sleeping walking because of defense, high post scoring from Boozer and Mehmet, solid team defense and rebounding. Murphy is easily a top contender for worst defender in the league and our no rebounding PF Harrington is not much better. The decent defensive play from Biedrins and Ellis mask our deficient shoot only players that play defense and rebound on a part-time basis. Although KG would be great, I would settle for a David Lee/Turiaf combo type of PF that could provide energy, hustle and lots of rebounds to compliment our potent backcourt of Ellis, BD, Jackson and J-Rich.

Hall of Famer
» Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:13 pm
Really is difficult to decide whether to trade a very good player of the team for a good big. This team is a relative unknown as a healthy lineup and may be that way again next season. The team ust has to play their run and gun game to always have the advantage but there is always the risk of getting taken to the slow half court game and getting dominated

Rookie
» Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:19 pm
we need a big man whether by trade or draft

Hall of Famer
» Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:33 am
dbdavis20 wrote:we need a big man whether by trade or draft

Yep, a PF who can get boards. That's all. The rest of the team should be kept as it is (although a real backup PG wouldn't be a bad idea in case Baron stays out with injuries again).

Role Player
» Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:24 am
After the key 6 (Al, BD, Jrich, SJax, AB, Monta), much of the bench will be up for new deals. Barnes, Pietrus, Powell, Az all have expiring contracts. Of the group, I only need to see Barnes return, though I'd welcome back Az too.

But, to resign them, AND extend Monta and AB, AND continue to pay 55+ mil for BD/Al/SJax/Jrich/Foyle/Cabbage, AND sign an impact forward will likely be too much to do in a single off-season. So, one way to get around that is a trade--dropping money to pick up a need.

Best case scenario, W's trade Cabbage for a vet (maybe even 'over the hill') big that can put in a few minutes at 4/5 and provide some insight for the youngish players. Will it happen? Doubtful.

I'm content with the team and most importantly its play since being fully healthy (JRich aside). I'm still concerned about Al and the short bench we have. Those are the the issues I'd like to see addressed, but not at the expense of breaking up the core. If its possible.

Hall of Famer
» Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:14 am
drazz wrote:Best case scenario, W's trade Cabbage for a vet (maybe even 'over the hill') big that can put in a few minutes at 4/5 and provide some insight for the youngish players. Will it happen? Doubtful.

Cabbage has an option to get out of his contract... and he might as well take it and come back to Europe. It would be the best for him and for the Dubs, actually.

Also, you have to add POB's salary to that list, too.

Other than that, I agree that I'd rather have Barnes back above any other of the bench guys. Az would be cool, too... but in that order.

Starting Lineup
» Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:30 am
I agree... Keep the team the way it is... I stated this last month on this board. There's no need for me to re-write what I stated before so click the link below to read my thoughts on this matter.

http://goldenstwarriors.com/viewtopic.php?t=3788