Richmond for Owens trade was the right choice

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Was Trading Richmond for Owens a move

1. Yes totally, the team would never have gotten any better with Richmond
No votes
2. Yes but maybe an already established PF could have been attained for just Richmond
No votes
3. No but the team would not have become a great one with Richmond anyway
No votes
4. No totally, the team would have been elite with Richmond
62%
5. GIVE ME GARNETT!
38%

Total votes : 13

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:35 am
migya wrote:Don't hate, don't be wack :!:

^ migya talking to himself ^ :mrgreen:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:33 am
Richmond went to the Kings and it took them years to make the playoffs. How many times in his carrer did Richmond lead a team to the playoffs? Not many! He was a talent but the Warriors needed size and it wasn't bad with Owens, the team was just broken up after three years of Richmond leaving so it never will be known how good the team would have been! St. Jean and Dwarzick can be blamed for the current playoff drought as they traded away everything good and left the team a mess

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:57 am
O.G. Broe wrote:
migya wrote:Don't hate, don't be wack :!:

^ migya talking to himself ^ :mrgreen:

Yea that's it :mrgreen:

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:49 am
Migya I understand yout thoughts about this trade! I really don't know how old the rest of these W's fans are? But, Owens was a perfect compliment for this team a 6'9 player who could start the fast break and he and Webber did make a good tandom! If you had that team with Sarunas and Timmy coming back from their injuries this team probably would have made it deeper into the playoffs!

Alot of these fans really don't know how the old W's teams used to get killed by teams like the Suns. Who had players like Chambers, thunder dan, KJ, and Jeff Hornacek, Sir Charles and EJ! It was a joke watching Nellie put Manute out there! Opponents always challenged him by trying to dunk over him!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:08 am
J-Rich wrote:Migya I understand yout thoughts about this trade! I really don't know how old the rest of these W's fans are? But, Owens was a perfect compliment for this team a 6'9 player who could start the fast break and he and Webber did make a good tandom! If you had that team with Sarunas and Timmy coming back from their injuries this team probably would have made it deeper into the playoffs!

Alot of these fans really don't know how the old W's teams used to get killed by teams like the Suns. Who had players like Chambers, thunder dan, KJ, and Jeff Hornacek, Sir Charles and EJ! It was a joke watching Nellie put Manute out there! Opponents always challenged him by trying to dunk over him!

I agree with you on this one. Big teams destroyed the RunTMC Warriors and the likelihood of a good PF or Center ever being attained without trading one of RunTMC was zero. Owens was talented but should have done more than what he did. 15pts, 8rebs are good averages but the guy could run circles around opposition PFs of the time as they were alot slower. Owens didn't have much of a post game but he could run well and shoot decently enough to be a very good scorer and fit in with Nelson's style well. Defensively, he guarded all the star SFs and PFs, heck, he even guarded some great guards! He was used at all 5 positions! He could playmake well.

The only thing, as I mentioned, was that the team was full of major injuries and was broken up way to early! Webber wanted out, fine but he should have been traded for a decent PF/C, someone like Dale Davis, Cliff Robinson, Otis Thorpe and Sam Perkins come to mind. Gugliotta was a very good player and I was surprised how shiit he played here but the real fuk up was getting rid of Owens for Seikaly to try and please Webber so he could play PF! Seikaly was a decent player but just not suited to the team and his attitude always stunk! 2 white guys as PF and Center.... can't recall when that has ever worked :dontknow: Keeping Owens and trading Webber for a decent PF/C would have been the best thing with Hardaway, Sarunas (who would likely have been kept) and Mullin (who was out the first 2 months of that season) playing full seasons and Sprewell continuing his allstar form. That lineup could have been a championship caliber one.

* I also think Sprewell was arguably better than Richmond in their tenure with the team. Richmond was better early on but Sprewell became a more well rounded scorer that rebounded better and passed better. If Richmond was kept, Nelson would not have drafted Sprewell (who was a steal at 24th pick). The team would have been a great one if it hadn't been broken up

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:27 am
Googs was a total bust!!! Spree was tight as player in his early years! I thought he probably had all 1st team NBA over him for a couple of years!

I remember when Webber and Rony didn't mesh because Rony was traded for Webber good friend!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:46 am
The best season Sprewell ever had was the nba at 50 years season, think it was 1996/97 off the top of my head. He averaged something like 24.2pts a game (though he was on about 26pts until the last month). The guy turned into an absolute loser and he should've been the one traded, not Tim Hardaway

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:28 pm
migya wrote:Richmond went to the Kings and it took them years to make the playoffs. How many times in his carrer did Richmond lead a team to the playoffs? Not many! He was a talent but the Warriors needed size and it wasn't bad with Owens, the team was just broken up after three years of Richmond leaving so it never will be known how good the team would have been! St. Jean and Dwarzick can be blamed for the current playoff drought as they traded away everything good and left the team a mess

Mitch Richmond took the Sacramento Kings to the NBA Playoffs once. Here was his starting lineup:

PG - Tyus Edney
SG - Mitch Richmond
SF - Walt Williams
PF - Brian Grant
C - Olden Polynice

If anybody recalls anybody else in the starting lineup doing anything significant in their careers (sans Richmond), please raise your hand. The only thing anybody remembers about Olden Polynise is the fact that he was a horrid free-throw shooter (53% over 15 years) and his role in the movie "Eddie" ("A blackhole is a..."). And, shockingly, thats the best lineup Sacramento could fit around Richmond during his stay there.

So, please, don't pretend that Mitch Richmond was incapable of leading a team to the playoffs... especially when you're bitching in other threads about Allen Iverson only having the likes of Dikembe Mutumbo, Keith Van Horn, and Eric Snow.

Dikembe Mutumbo's statline in the 2001 Playoffs reads as follows: 13.9 PPG, 13.7 RPG, 3.1 BPG, shooting 77.7% from the field. Real slouch he was, huh. :roll:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:50 pm
32 wrote:
So, please, don't pretend that Mitch Richmond was incapable of leading a team to the playoffs... especially when you're bitching in other threads about Allen Iverson only having the likes of Dikembe Mutumbo, Keith Van Horn, and Eric Snow.

Dikembe Mutumbo's statline in the 2001 Playoffs reads as follows: 13.9 PPG, 13.7 RPG, 3.1 BPG, shooting 77.7% from the field. Real slouch he was, huh. :roll:

Jesus, 32, I realize you have a hard-on for both mig and Iverson, but make up your own mind. Does a star player make others around him better? Or, is it stats?

If its stats, as you have claimed in defense of our own Harrington, then Iverson is a star. He puts up the points, and he's making the assists (maybe now more then with the 6ers, but still).

If its elevating those around him, then you just gave fodder for Iverson being good. Mutumbo with those stats in the playoffs? How often has he done that well? But he did it that well WITH Iverson.

I'm not even an Iverson fan, but damn, make up your mind man.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:03 pm
drazz wrote:
32 wrote:

Jesus, 32, I realize you have a hard-on for both mig and Iverson, but make up your own mind. Does a star player make others around him better? Or, is it stats?

If its stats, as you have claimed in defense of our own Harrington, then Iverson is a star. He puts up the points, and he's making the assists (maybe now more then with the 6ers, but still).

If its elevating those around him, then you just gave fodder for Iverson being good. Mutumbo with those stats in the playoffs? How often has he done that well? But he did it that well WITH Iverson.

:D

Said gorgeously!

Nothing more to add, I've said it all in this thread on the subject of the Richmond for Owens trade and I think that Warriors fans need to realise why it was done and the fact that it was working and only disastrous run of injuries to the best players on the team and then subsequent dismantling of the great lineup caused the following infamous decline to less than mediocrity for the team

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:43 pm
migya wrote:The best season Sprewell ever had was the nba at 50 years season, think it was 1996/97 off the top of my head. He averaged something like 24.2pts a game (though he was on about 26pts until the last month). The guy turned into an absolute loser and he should've been the one traded, not Tim Hardaway

Wait there just a minute. You say the Richmond/Owens swap was a good one? Then why is Hardaway being traded over Spree worse than that? Sprewell avaraged much better numbers than Owens. Billy's best year was his last year as a Warrior. The kid went what? 15/8? He never averaged better numbers than those. Richmond was a proven star that didn't start showing decline in his career until he became a Wizard. Even in Owens' prime, he didn't do much than when he was a still a project rising star.

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:51 pm
well... thought this thread was an april fools joke till i read the start date of the thread....
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:27 pm
With Mullin in charge & making the moves there won't be another Mitch 4 Owens type trade :D

J Rich is a Warrior :!:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:15 am
xbaywarrior wrote:
migya wrote:The best season Sprewell ever had was the nba at 50 years season, think it was 1996/97 off the top of my head. He averaged something like 24.2pts a game (though he was on about 26pts until the last month). The guy turned into an absolute loser and he should've been the one traded, not Tim Hardaway

Wait there just a minute. You say the Richmond/Owens swap was a good one? Then why is Hardaway being traded over Spree worse than that? Sprewell avaraged much better numbers than Owens. Billy's best year was his last year as a Warrior. The kid went what? 15/8? He never averaged better numbers than those. Richmond was a proven star that didn't start showing decline in his career until he became a Wizard. Even in Owens' prime, he didn't do much than when he was a still a project rising star.

Sprewell ended up quitting on the team and causing havoc! Hardaway was a Warrior at heart from day 1 and that is what makes that trade so awful. The team improved with Owens than it was with Richmond so that speaks for itself. Owens filled the need and it reaped results the only season the lineup was totally together

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:03 am
drazz wrote:Mutumbo with those stats in the playoffs? How often has he done that well? But he did it that well WITH Iverson.

Allow me to spoon-feed it to you, since you obvious need a clue here:

Dikembe Mutumbo is a 4-time Defensive Player of the Year. How often did he average over 10 rebounds and 3 blocks in his career? PRETTY FUCKIN OFTEN, if you check his stat's!

How the hell can you possibly claim that Allen Iverson 'made Mutumbo' better than he was when Dikembe was already a THREE TIME DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR (once in Denver, twice in Atlanta... not to mention the fourth one he picked up the year he went to the Finals with Iverson).

Pull your head out of ass, drazz. I understand you wanted to make waves with the big boys, but your puny dribble did little more than make you look ignorant. Allen Iverson is a ballhog who had a perfectly capable cast of characters playing next to him when he went to the NBA Finals. Dikembe Mutumbo, as the NBA's DPOY, was the best man possible to guard Shaq. That turned it into the Kobe versus AI show... and Iverson couldn't get the job done at all. He's a ballhog who managed to make his cast of blue-collar hall-of-famers (Tyrone Hill, Dikembe Mutumbo, ect) irrelevant.

Philly put a team around Iverson TOTALLY catered to his needs: they rebounded, played good defense, and let Iverson dribble the ball for 22 seconds on offense. And AI still couldn't get it done. QED, bitch.

... chubby for migya? Whose got the hard-on: the guy telling migya he's wrong or the guy rushing to his aid, ready to suck dick on command? :oops:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball