Let's Keep This Team Together!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:28 am
Right, the MONEY from the contract is guaranteed. But, you don;t have to keep the player. A team can pay out the money that it owns on the contract, and end the contract. The team still pays the full amount of the contract, and the money paid counts toward the salary of that year, but then the following years the money is off the books.

Let's take an example from this year: Chris Webber. Signed to the 76ers at 17.6 this year and 19 next year. They did not want him. So, they bought out his contract, paying him $36.6 THIS year, but his 19 will not be there next year. With his contract now concluded, CWeb was able to find his own, new contract, which allowed him to land in Detroit.

Alonzo Mourning did the same. He got a buyout from Jersey, when they thought he would not play again after his his surgery. He got paid, AND got to go to Miami.

I only really thought about it because I hear Steve francis might get a buyout from the Knicks. I figure with the (hopeful) signings of Ellis and Biedrins this summer, a Foyle buyout will open up the room to keep these two after '08. It would mean a big hit to the team's salary in '07, as he has about $18.5 left in his contract.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:53 am
drazz wrote:Right, the MONEY from the contract is guaranteed. But, you don;t have to keep the player. A team can pay out the money that it owns on the contract, and end the contract. The team still pays the full amount of the contract, and the money paid counts toward the salary of that year, but then the following years the money is off the books.

Let's take an example from this year: Chris Webber. Signed to the 76ers at 17.6 this year and 19 next year. They did not want him. So, they bought out his contract, paying him $36.6 THIS year, but his 19 will not be there next year. With his contract now concluded, CWeb was able to find his own, new contract, which allowed him to land in Detroit.

Alonzo Mourning did the same. He got a buyout from Jersey, when they thought he would not play again after his his surgery. He got paid, AND got to go to Miami.

I only really thought about it because I hear Steve francis might get a buyout from the Knicks. I figure with the (hopeful) signings of Ellis and Biedrins this summer, a Foyle buyout will open up the room to keep these two after '08. It would mean a big hit to the team's salary in '07, as he has about $18.5 left in his contract.

drazz, thanks for the explanation. good stuff.

SO I assume the downside of doing that is that it would push us way into the luxury tax zone meaning Cohan would have to pay dollar for dollar every bit above the Luxury Tax threshold?
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:59 am
JayPat wrote:
TMC wrote:
J-Rich wrote:The team will be hurting in signing BD to an extension because we still have Foyle on the books for another 2 yrs!!!

Foyle and Baron's contracts end the same year, J-Rich. We won't have Foyle under contract when Baron's extension (if he signs it) kicks off.

Still. How much money do you think Baron will want?

You know, extensions are already defined in the CBA. He could get up to a 10.5% raise over his salary during the last season of his contract. That would put him around the $20 million mark.

He clearly doesn't deserve that (because only a handful of players deserve so), so he'll have to sign a new contract, not an extension. As for how much he'll ask for... who knows?. It will depend on his contract year. If he has a great season, missing no more than 15 games, he'll ask for no less than $15 million. If not, he'll be cheaper.

drazz wrote:
--Foyle buyout! Well, maybe not until the end of next year, but a buyout is totally a possibility; if the W's do it this year, they take a pretty good hit on the tax, but he'd be off the books after '08, instead of being a $10 sink.

I'd rather keep him. You know, he wouldn't be a $10 million sink. He'd be a $10 million expirer, with all the trade value those expirers have.

badabing8888 wrote:Buyout? I am not familiar with this. I have heard of this when someone retires with years left on contract or injury prevents them from fulfilling their contract but contracts are guaranteed. If this is possible, it would obviously have to be something that Foyle would have to agree which I would have no idea why he would. But I don't know if this is even possible.

Buyouts are not appliable to retired players. All the money of their contracts still counts against the cap. For example, the Celtics are still paying Vin Baker... The team doesn't have to pay them (as they don't play anymore, although some teams still do it), but they do count against the cap.

The injury issue is a different exception, that allows the team to aks for an exception, so they still pay the disabled player but he doesn't count against the cap. There's a year to ask for it and a league physician has to confirm that the player is unable to perform.

For any other buyout, the player has to agree. The amount of the buyout is included against the cap (prorated) for the remaining of the contract. As buyouts are usually for lower figures, teams end up saving money. And the players can sign with other teams and recover part of the money they lost in the buyout.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:43 am
I'd say not to extend Baron's contract and see how his injuries pan out. I don't think an extension is a good idea. If his injuries stay low and he doesn't miss that many games then give him a new contract when his present one is over. What if we extend his contract and he has a huge injury? Which is very possible. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Let's wait until Barons contract is up, then see if we need to give him a new contract or let him go. No extension.
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:48 am
Josh Jamison wrote:Let's wait until Barons contract is up, then see if we need to give him a new contract or let him go. No extension.

My thoughts exactly. Too risky to invest so much money on him right now.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:33 pm
BD needs a decent backup and there will be a lot of Pac-10 point guards (Banks, Collison, Shakur) available in the second round. The Warriors need a rebounding AL, or a much improved OB or draft the next David Lee with our 1st pick. A top three pick would our lives easier (Durant, Ogden, HIbbert or Horford) but a playoff push and a Clipper fade would make that a mute point. With an improving Biedrins, Ellis and OB maybe we just need to upgrade Pietrus with a more savy player like Arron Afflalo.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:08 pm
TMC wrote:You know, extensions are already defined in the CBA. He could get up to a 10.5% raise over his salary during the last season of his contract. That would put him around the $20 million mark.

He clearly doesn't deserve that (because only a handful of players deserve so), so he'll have to sign a new contract, not an extension. As for how much he'll ask for... who knows?. It will depend on his contract year. If he has a great season, missing no more than 15 games, he'll ask for no less than $15 million. If not, he'll be cheaper.

If the teeam makes the playoffs these next 2 seasons, Mullin will push get Baron the money he asks for. If the team has any sort of success in the playoffs should they make it, Baron will likely get close to the maximum amount possible. We know that he just isn't worth that much because of the amount of games he plays but it is the reality that a valuable player and the best one on the team no doubt, gets close to all the money possible

TMC wrote:Buyouts are not appliable to retired players. All the money of their contracts still counts against the cap. For example, the Celtics are still paying Vin Baker... The team doesn't have to pay them (as they don't play anymore, although some teams still do it), but they do count against the cap.

Vin Baker is on the TWolves roster so he is not a retired player

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:38 pm
dareedle wrote:BD needs a decent backup and there will be a lot of Pac-10 point guards (Banks, Collison, Shakur) available in the second round. The Warriors need a rebounding AL, or a much improved OB or draft the next David Lee with our 1st pick. A top three pick would our lives easier (Durant, Ogden, HIbbert or Horford) but a playoff push and a Clipper fade would make that a mute point. With an improving Biedrins, Ellis and OB maybe we just need to upgrade Pietrus with a more savy player like Arron Afflalo.

I don't know about Collison, he may stay if they don't win against Florida or if they don't win the national title. As for Afflalo, he's nice, but we have to go after a big man to compliment AB underneath. He's the only one who crashes the boards, everyone else gets back in transition.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:16 am
migya wrote:Vin Baker is on the TWolves roster so he is not a retired player

Really?. I've missed him completely. Has he even played?. I remember he played last year for the Clips, but I thought he was retired by now.

Anyway, it was just an example. Another one would be Charlie Ward, still getting paid by the Rockets.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:58 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Vin Baker is on the TWolves roster so he is not a retired player

Really?. I've missed him completely. Has he even played?. I remember he played last year for the Clips, but I thought he was retired by now.

Anyway, it was just an example. Another one would be Charlie Ward, still getting paid by the Rockets.

Check their roster, he plays for the TWolves

migya make the ring fall on ya
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball