Let's Keep This Team Together!

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:02 pm
I might be a minority in my thoughts here, but I say let's keep this team we have right now together. What I mean by keeping them together is keeping Jason Richardson, Baron Davis, Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins, Stephen Jackson, and Al Harrington together for all of next year for sure... No trades! The others can do whatever the organization feels necessary with them besides re-signing Pietrus (cuz we need that money for Monta and Andres).

I know time is what a Warriors fan does not have, but I think if we let these six core guys play together for a year or two (at least until Nelson's coaching contract is up) that we'll see great improvements. We need to build a team and in 12 years the Warriors have not built a team until this season! We are a team... FINALLY!!! Look at the Suns... They've been together for 2-3 years and they weren't as great as they are now in their first 30 games together... Not even close.

These six Warriors have only played together for 30 games, maybe less, with a new coach. Let's give them at least another year, maybe more, together before breaking them up. This team has been improving week by week. They are starting to know how each other plays. I like this team! We can't jump on the trade bandwagon yet because I feel this team has got what it takes to be an everyday play-off team. This is the first Warriors team that I can say that with confidence. This is our best team in 10 years! Let's stay with what we got and see what happens. If we don't make the play-offs this year, I think for sure we'll make it next year with the same team. C'mon we've waited 12 years for the play-offs. We can at least wait one more year. If we had Al and Stephen at the beginning of the year besides Troy and Mike this team would have a lot more wins. Next year we'll have that team.

Give them time to gel and I think we'll be a great team!
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:22 pm
I tend to agree... but we still need someone to help on the boards. Biedrins can't do it all by himself. We should try to get that PF and keep the rest of the team together.

I don't care how we do it, draft, trades, whatever... but we need that guy. Other than that, I agree. Let's keep this team together and see what happens.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:52 pm
This team as currently constituted is a playoff team in my book if it was kept together. However, not a team that would do anything in the playoffs.

Granted I would take making the playoffs and getting swept in first round, but as TMC said, he HAVE to get AB help rebounding the ball. Rebounding just KILLS this team.

We need a defensive minded, rebounding 4. If free agency or the draft can net that guy... great. But that is not likely. A trade may be the only way to accomplish that.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:06 pm
yes we would want to keep em as long as possible, but keeping that 6 will not last more than next season, and we will prolly see some changes in the roster. as said is so many other threads it will be impossible to hold onto all of our key players, unless if mr.owner is willing to pay luxery tax
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:40 pm
TMC wrote:we still need someone to help on the boards. Biedrins can't do it all by himself. We should try to get that PF and keep the rest of the team together.

Agreed! We do need another rebounder besides Biedrins. We don't even have to get a starter that can rebound, but someone to come in off the bench for Harrington or Biedrins that can grab boards. Diogu was one, but someone like Varejao or David Lee... a for sure rebounder... sh-t... even Danny Fortson off the bench would work. This would still keep the main six intact and help with our rebounding somewhat. We have no one big on the bench that can rebound except for Foyle and he never plays, so a good bench rebounder would help a lot.
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:09 pm
I'd like to see what this team can do when together for > 75% of the season. As far as I know, they've only been together at most 50% due to various injuries and Barons probably not playing up to full strength.
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden
Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:50 pm
i was talking about this with my friends. i'd like to see how the team does if we keep them the same. im sure nellie can scout potential somewhere around the league to help the team and their rebounding...it'd also be fun to watch azubuike off the bench

That's me :D
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:19 pm
Here's the 3 guys I think would be perfect: Chris Wilcox from Seattle, Varejao or Ronny Turiaf.

We need a banger who can come in and clean up the glass, block some shots and bring more fire. You put any of these guys together with AB and it doesn't matter who your other 3 is. When Harrington is hot we keep him in thev game, maybe even at SF. But when he has an off night we need someone who can come in and shut it down. Hopefully POB can improve over the offseason because he could be a great backup for Biedrins
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:44 pm
badabing8888 wrote:This team as currently constituted is a playoff team in my book if it was kept together. However, not a team that would do anything in the playoffs.

Granted I would take making the playoffs and getting swept in first round, but as TMC said, he HAVE to get AB help rebounding the ball. Rebounding just KILLS this team.

We need a defensive minded, rebounding 4. If free agency or the draft can net that guy... great. But that is not likely. A trade may be the only way to accomplish that.

A PF is definately needed! one that rebounds and defends at least, as well as have some sort of scoring ability, like Haslem and Varejao. The thing with the team is health or more to the point, lack there of. I just don't believe Baron will ever play more than 65-70 games in a season and that in itself will limit the team. I just think Mullin should enquire about a star big like Gasol and Garnett and/or some of teh mentioned PFs that would fit well as role players. The thing is whether the roster as is can be a contender and right now, it is not looking much like one but there is a possibility

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:45 pm
How can we afford to keep all of them? BD is due for an extension soon in a year or two! Monta and AB will command big money! That doesn't look to good for us in signing a tough rebounder to help AB.

The team will be hurting in signing BD to an extension because we still have Foyle on the books for another 2 yrs!!!

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:31 pm
I Agree Josh J, The Warriors as constructed now, with experience playing together & the addition of a athletic defensive rebounding Big would make this TEAM a force in the NBA, Remember Mullin moved Dun $ Murph when it was said it couldn't be done... Baron will benefit from the deeper roster & a emerging Monta Ellis... Baron shouldered the TEAM this year playing excessive minutes for about 1/2 the season - J Rich & now making a playoff push even though he's had a knee scope :D
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:27 am
J-Rich wrote:The team will be hurting in signing BD to an extension because we still have Foyle on the books for another 2 yrs!!!

Foyle and Baron's contracts end the same year, J-Rich. We won't have Foyle under contract when Baron's extension (if he signs it) kicks off.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:14 am
TMC wrote:
J-Rich wrote:The team will be hurting in signing BD to an extension because we still have Foyle on the books for another 2 yrs!!!

Foyle and Baron's contracts end the same year, J-Rich. We won't have Foyle under contract when Baron's extension (if he signs it) kicks off.

Still. How much money do you think Baron will want?
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:27 am
I'm liking the team together, though Harrington is starting to disappear from the game.

Major needs, though:
--potentially a second PG; I don't mind Ellis putting in 10-15 min at PG, but he is not going to be the PG in two years at this rate; SJAx helps with the ball-handling and distribution, but he's not ready to run the team either

--another big that can play under the system; W's have only Biedrins and Harrinton to play the 4/5; POB/Powell/Foyle can put in some minutes against some opponents, but an energy type that pulls in boards and defends woud get great off the bench

--Foyle buyout! Well, maybe not until the end of next year, but a buyout is totally a possibility; if the W's do it this year, they take a pretty good hit on the tax, but he'd be off the books after '08, instead of being a $10 sink.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:41 am
drazz wrote:--Foyle buyout! Well, maybe not until the end of next year, but a buyout is totally a possibility; if the W's do it this year, they take a pretty good hit on the tax, but he'd be off the books after '08, instead of being a $10 sink.

Buyout? I am not familiar with this. I have heard of this when someone retires with years left on contract or injury prevents them from fulfilling their contract but contracts are guaranteed. If this is possible, it would obviously have to be something that Foyle would have to agree which I would have no idea why he would. But I don't know if this is even possible.

Return to Warriors Basketball