Thoughts on Stephen Jackson

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:25 pm
Lately I've been noticing a lot of negativity toward Stephen Jackson from Warriors fans (on the air, from friends, etc.).

I'm starting to see why the Pacers fans weren't too fond of him. Sometimes Stephen can be detramental to the team (i.e. getting ejected from the Wizards game in the first quarter, getting T'ed up in crunch time against the Lakers, etc.).

Me personally... I still like the guy, but he's starting to push some buttons with me and if he keeps it up my opinion may change. I know there are people out there that despise him! KNBR's Damon Bruce is one of them. He called him a douche bag on the air after the Wizards game... HILARIOUS!!! I like the hardheaded players to a certain extent. Be hardheaded and tough all you want, but make sure it's not detrimental to the team. I question many of Stephen's decisions, but I like his winning attitude.

Anyway... What I want to know is your opinions on this guy. What are your thoughts of Stephen Jackson after watching him in Warriors uniform for about two months now?
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:37 pm
I think Stephen is a very talented guy. He is the new Tim Hardeway, attitude wise. He backs down from no one. Every team needs to have 1 of these ype of ball players. Believe it or not, they bring credibility to a team. they make the officials call the game fairly. His cockiness demands respect from the opponent and the officils. Steven has the ability to play in all facets of the game. He is not totally healthy at this moment. My only negative is that he tends to play around with the ball to much. He is not a great ball handler, although he is a good passer. He is not afraid to take the big shot. I will take a Jackson over a Murphy -dunleavy any day. :D
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:55 pm
Anybody who thinks Dunleavy is better than Jackson or Murphy is better than Harrington is either racist or ignorant. period.
ImageImage

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:07 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:Anybody who thinks Dunleavy is better than Jackson or Murphy is better than Harrington is either racist or ignorant. period.

That sure doesn't leave much room for discussion, does it?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:16 pm
ReginaldLewis wrote:I think Stephen is a very talented guy. He is the new Tim Hardeway, attitude wise. He backs down from no one. Every team needs to have 1 of these ype of ball players. Believe it or not, they bring credibility to a team. they make the officials call the game fairly. His cockiness demands respect from the opponent and the officils. Steven has the ability to play in all facets of the game. He is not totally healthy at this moment. My only negative is that he tends to play around with the ball to much. He is not a great ball handler, although he is a good passer. He is not afraid to take the big shot. I will take a Jackson over a Murphy -dunleavy any day. :D

Yeah, we need someone like him on the team. He's not only an improvement over Dunleavye, he also brings some nastiness this team didn't have. I couldn't be happier with S-Jax so far. Other than 2 or 3 games in which he chucked lots of bad shots, he's been great for us.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:33 pm
SJax has been out of the refs face much of the time that he has been with the W's, and I appriciate that. He certainly has enough of a target on his back that he is not really going to get much of a fair treatment from anyone influenced by the media (refs, GM's, fans).

His game has been batter, and more controlled, than I had originally expected, and he has become the piece of the trade that has exceded expectations the most. I'll keep him, even if he gets tossed once and again, so long as he can put a cap level on his attitude on and off court.

That said, as I've been watchng, he is THE GUY that is out there talking it up with the refs. Both good and bad. After a foul, or a missed call, SJax heads over and converses with the refs about the call. Every team needs it, and makes for some possitive influence on the refs, when under control.

And Pest, seriously, no one was even talking about preferring DunMurph, but it doesn't come down to racism. Can't throw that around everytime either of those names come up. Doesn't have anything to do with the game.
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:04 pm
this was ignored on the game threads post lol. Just an article about SJAX before the wizards game...and about his attitude :P

Either love it or leave it
For good or bad, Warriors' Jackson plays with fire
By Geoff Lepper/MediaNews Group
Article Launched: 03/23/2007 07:11:41 AM PDT

OAKLAND - Stephen Jackson can't imagine playing basketball without the fire and drive that have been hallmarks of his game since his days as a youth on the courts of Port Arthur, Texas.

Of course, sometimes it's impossible to play with that fire, as the Warriors found out a couple of weeks ago in Portland, when Jackson got himself tossed out in the third quarter when the team was already reeling from the pre-game loss of Baron Davis to injury.

"All of it, that's me," Jackson said. "Love it or leave it. I've played like that all my life. Ain't no need to change it now. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, but I live with the good and bad."

Right now, so do the Warriors.

Where most observers thought forward Al Harrington was Golden State's biggest prize in its eight-player trade with the Indiana Pacers in January, Jackson has proven to be equally invaluable - if not moreso - as Golden State (32-37) has made its late run at a playoff spot.

His ability as the Warriors' No. 1 perimeter defender means players like Mickael Pietrus and Matt Barnes can slide down a spot on the list of defensive assignments and dominate less talented opponents. Over his last 12 games played, he's averaging 16.2 points and 5.9 assists per
Advertisement
homes for sale
contest, showing off all-around skills that were well hidden in Indiana.

"He's a marvelous player," Warriors coach Don Nelson said. "He's a marvelous player. He's not perfect, but he has the ability and desire to guard. He's able to make some passes that a lot of (shooting guards and small forwards) can't make."

Asked if the Warriors found a diamond in the rough in Jackson, Warriors guard Baron Davis doesn't hesitate: "Absolutely, as far as being a defender and a guy who plays hard, brings intangibles and a toughness to a team that really needed it. . . . He's always been able to pass the ball, shoot the ball and make plays. Now he's in a situation where he's loved and people around him really believe in him and give him the freedom to be who he is."

Of course, there was a reason the Pacers were willing to rid themselves of Jackson, and it showed not only in Portland but also Tuesday in Utah, when he appeared to engage referee Mike Callahan in a spirited debate after picking up five fouls in the fourth quarter to earn a disqualification.

"He's done a pretty good job here, but he's lost it a few times wherever he's been," Nelson said. "It's his personality. Players play like their personality is. . . . Often times in sports, your strengths can be your weaknesses. What really makes him go, and the reason he is a great player, is his emotion. Occasionally, that can work as a negative."

Warriors forward Al Harrington claimed that Jackson was actually

talking to Davis and said Tuesday's situation was exacerbated by well-meaning teammates.

"I've been around Jack long enough to know when he's about to explode," Harrington said. "He was fine. It's just that everybody stood up and made

it look a lot worse than it was. . . . We're not babysitters. Nobody has to go and hold his hand and bring him to the bench."

Said Jackson: "I've been doing this for years. I know how to handle myself. I think if I need to get kicked out, I will. I just need to start policing myself on when to argue with referees and when not. Coming down to the situation we're in right now, I've got to be smarter and choose my times to argue with referees, because all these games are more important than anything."

Perhaps nobody knows that better than Jackson, who is the only Warriors player to have won an NBA championship (with the San Antonio Spurs

in 2002-03). In the meantime, Jackson will keep using his passion on the court to light a fire under the Warriors for their last 13 games, including tonight's showdown with the Washington Wizards at Oracle Arena.

"I play with a lot of energy. I play with a lot of emotion, and I think that's how I got to this point," Jackson said. "It's the only way I know how."

Said Davis: "I'd much rather have everybody on our team like that than somebody who never has any emotion and doesn't play with passion."

long story short, i like stephen jackson

That's me :D
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:56 pm
He is a warrior, a winner and will go to the mat for his team. He brings an edge and fire to his team that was sorely missing before. an absolute asset and upgrade. I do think the league has him on a very short leash. I believe they have a memo re Ts for the refs, and Jackson, Artest and Sheed are definitely on it. Did you see Kobe jawing with the ref for 3 minutes after the first T last night? If that were Jackson he would have been gone after 20 seconds. I thinkJackson is well aware of the double standard, so he will have to make efforts to walk away and stop talking, cause he will not get the slack a Ray Allen or Steve Nash or, yes, Mike Dungleavy will. I don't necessarily agree with Pest that someone is axiomatically a racist or a fool if they don't like Jackson, but there are some fascinating cultural undertows here. D Bruce is a fool and ragged hard on Jackson for the same behavior (or worse) that Dungleavy exhibited when he was ejected. Think I will leave the last word to one Don Nelson...

"He's a marvelous player," Warriors coach Don Nelson said. "He's a marvelous player. He's not perfect, but he has the ability and desire to guard. He's able to make some passes that a lot of (shooting guards and small forwards) can't make."
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:07 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:Anybody who thinks Dunleavy is better than Jackson or Murphy is better than Harrington is either racist or ignorant. period.

If you change that to anybody who thinks Dunleavy was better than Jackson I'll agree. He's looking okay in Indy and I always felt that he was a total underachiever. Not to say that I ever think he'll be as good a player as Jackson but he seems to be more aggressive in Indy and it might actually work out for him in the end.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:18 pm
cladden wrote:

If you change that to anybody who thinks Dunleavy was better than Jackson I'll agree. He's looking okay in Indy and I always felt that he was a total underachiever. Not to say that I ever think he'll be as good a player as Jackson but he seems to be more aggressive in Indy and it might actually work out for him in the end.

No. Jackson's still better than Dunleavy. :wink:

The numbers speak for themselves.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:08 pm
Jackson does not have better numbers post trade than Dunleavy, but trading one underacheiving lottery bust for a mental case with a knack for technicals is not worth discussing. The Warriors have only three legit players, Biedrins, Ellis and BD, and unless management and the fans get real, it is highly unlikely we will keep all three because of our other bad contracts to perimeter players and bench warmers. We have five bad contracts, some don't get enough minutes belonging to Nellie doghouse (Sarunas and Foyle). J-Rich should change his name to J-brick for his lousy shooting percentage this year, Harrington is a terrible passer, rebounder and defender, but guess what Warrior fans he scores a lot ... big deal he fricking kills the offense ever time he does his back down and cough up the ball routine. On the bright side, Ellis has a bright future ... could be the next agent zero, unless we get our salary cap back in order, and Biedrins is quick and active. Jackson is a ok player, but I would rather jettison some salary in order to keep both Biedrins and Ellis.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:53 pm
The toughness and desire that SJacksonhas brought is a plus and he is a keeper unless he can be used in a package for a star big. He takes alot of shots at times and doesn't shhot a good percentage but the fact he passes well and defends well are major pluses on the team

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:48 pm
Not only that but he's a GREAT teammate. He's always doing what he can to support his team with or without the ball and on the court or on the bench. He shares the rock, he's a good defender. We need his energy, I like his attitude. It's his type of attitude that gets the intensity level on a rise.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:36 am
dareedle wrote:Jackson does not have better numbers post trade than Dunleavy,

errr isnt he averagin 16-7?

Rookie
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:20 am
i like his intensity, but he is very careless with the ball...dribbling the ball off your foot more than once in a game is not acceptable unless you are 5 years old. he is too streaky for me to be that excited about. u never know what you're gonna get from jackson (except some whining to the refs, thats a certainty)....some nights he plays unstoppable basketball....other nights, i would like to see him sit on the bench the whole game

he should try to play more within himself...yes, he gets a lot of assists...but he makes stupid, risky, careless passes as well...i dunno, i guess he's ok overall...i'd rather have monta start alongside baron i think...
CHRIS MULLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball