I just don't get the situation with Ike

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes


Starting Lineup
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:24 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:53 pm
Just like when he was a Warrior, he plays according to the minutes he gets. I keep checking the Pacer's games to see how's he's doing and I just get more confused. Usually Ike plays 3 to 5 minutes a game and doesn't have much in the way of statistics.

However, when he plays over 20 minutes he puts up really good numbers. His latest example was tonight: He played 20 minutes and scored 14 points with 9 rebounds, 1 steal, no turnovers and no personal fouls.

Can somebody please tell me why the Pacers just don't leave him and Jermaine in there at the same time, even if they play the same position? Dun and Murph aren't picking up the slack.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21443
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:38 pm
Diogu is a great player that has been given NO opportunities! Same is happening with the Pacers and it is at their loss. The guy should end up on a team like the Sonics where he will get all the inside ball he should
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:46 pm
here's the explanation - first thing he does when he meets a new coach is to short sheet his bed and put tiger balm in his jock - pisses the coaches off and they tell him to stop - he won't, makes harassing prank calls at 3 in the morning, and they bench him...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21443
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:10 am
coltraning wrote:here's the explanation - first thing he does when he meets a new coach is to short sheet his bed and put tiger balm in his jock - pisses the coaches off and they tell him to stop - he won't, makes harassing prank calls at 3 in the morning, and they bench him...



Reckon he tells the coach what a good fuk his daughter would be the first time he sees her. Diogu's got to know better :mrgreen:
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:27 am
jsw548 wrote:Can somebody please tell me why the Pacers just don't leave him and Jermaine in there at the same time, even if they play the same position? Dun and Murph aren't picking up the slack.


Because his defense still is not even average and Carlisle requires defense above anything else.

Also, Jermaine has said that he won't play center. Period. That means Ike only can play when Jermaine is on the bench.

Starting Lineup
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:24 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:38 am
TMC wrote:
jsw548 wrote:Can somebody please tell me why the Pacers just don't leave him and Jermaine in there at the same time, even if they play the same position? Dun and Murph aren't picking up the slack.


Because his defense still is not even average and Carlisle requires defense above anything else.

Also, Jermaine has said that he won't play center. Period. That means Ike only can play when Jermaine is on the bench.


You've got to be kidding me about the defense thing. Dunleavy plays over 30 minuites a night for Carlisle so that's a mute conjecture all the way around. Why can't Ike play small forward when Jermaine is on the court? Surely he's no worse than Dunleavy at anything except maybe passing. I never felt that Ike's defense was that bad anyway. If you ever noticed, he was the only Warrior that actually blocked his man off of the boards as well.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:49 am
jsw548 wrote:You've got to be kidding me about the defense thing. Dunleavy plays over 30 minuites a night for Carlisle so that's a mute conjecture all the way around. Why can't Ike play small forward when Jermaine is on the court? Surely he's no worse than Dunleavy at anything except maybe passing. I never felt that Ike's defense was that bad anyway. If you ever noticed, he was the only Warrior that actually blocked his man off of the boards as well.


I'm talking about team defense more than his man-to-man defense. Although I haven't seen him much since the trade. Just what I've read.

About Dunleavy... they don't have other option than to play him. Ike has Jermaine and Murphy as other players that can play PF on the team... but Dun and Marquis Daniels are the only two guys that can play SG (sort of)... and Daniels is always injured.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:09 am
Yeah, crappy defense, inability to scorer over taller defenders, inability to pass out of the double team, are a couple. He needs polishing.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:43 am
migya wrote:
coltraning wrote:here's the explanation - first thing he does when he meets a new coach is to short sheet his bed and put tiger balm in his jock - pisses the coaches off and they tell him to stop - he won't, makes harassing prank calls at 3 in the morning, and they bench him...



Reckon he tells the coach what a good fuk his daughter would be the first time he sees her. Diogu's got to know better :mrgreen:

yeah, we all know Ike likes to take it to the hole, but at least don't show Carlisle pictures of it! 8)
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:30 am
In any case, Ike's always fun to look at:

Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:48 am
jsw548 wrote:Just like when he was a Warrior, he plays according to the minutes he gets. I keep checking the Pacer's games to see how's he's doing and I just get more confused. Usually Ike plays 3 to 5 minutes a game and doesn't have much in the way of statistics.

However, when he plays over 20 minutes he puts up really good numbers. His latest example was tonight: He played 20 minutes and scored 14 points with 9 rebounds, 1 steal, no turnovers and no personal fouls.

Can somebody please tell me why the Pacers just don't leave him and Jermaine in there at the same time, even if they play the same position? Dun and Murph aren't picking up the slack.

You've got it backwards. Diogu's numbers don't go up with an increase in minutes; his minutes go up when he plays well.

Ike is a complete disadvantage to his team when he's not on fire. He can't play defense, he doesn't know where to be without the ball, and he can't pass out of anything more than single-coverage. When the opposition allows Ike to play in single coverage, he'll get 20 minutes a night with 15 points. When the other coach tells his guys to watch Diogu, he'll get 7 minutes going 1 for 3 from the field.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

Starting Lineup
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:24 am
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:14 am
32 wrote:
jsw548 wrote:Just like when he was a Warrior, he plays according to the minutes he gets. I keep checking the Pacer's games to see how's he's doing and I just get more confused. Usually Ike plays 3 to 5 minutes a game and doesn't have much in the way of statistics.

However, when he plays over 20 minutes he puts up really good numbers. His latest example was tonight: He played 20 minutes and scored 14 points with 9 rebounds, 1 steal, no turnovers and no personal fouls.

Can somebody please tell me why the Pacers just don't leave him and Jermaine in there at the same time, even if they play the same position? Dun and Murph aren't picking up the slack.

You've got it backwards. Diogu's numbers don't go up with an increase in minutes; his minutes go up when he plays well.

Ike is a complete disadvantage to his team when he's not on fire. He can't play defense, he doesn't know where to be without the ball, and he can't pass out of anything more than single-coverage. When the opposition allows Ike to play in single coverage, he'll get 20 minutes a night with 15 points. When the other coach tells his guys to watch Diogu, he'll get 7 minutes going 1 for 3 from the field.


Sorry 32, I think you have it backwards. It's so much harder for a low box player to come in the game and have an immediate impact. Why do you think that the MVP of all the all star games are rarely post players. It's usually someone who has their hands on the ball most the time. It takes "back to the basket" players a few minutes to get in tune with the pace of the game and their own point guard. That's why his production goes up the longer he is in there. Just like a bruising running back.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13539
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:39 am
jsw548 wrote:
32 wrote:
jsw548 wrote:Just like when he was a Warrior, he plays according to the minutes he gets. I keep checking the Pacer's games to see how's he's doing and I just get more confused. Usually Ike plays 3 to 5 minutes a game and doesn't have much in the way of statistics.

However, when he plays over 20 minutes he puts up really good numbers. His latest example was tonight: He played 20 minutes and scored 14 points with 9 rebounds, 1 steal, no turnovers and no personal fouls.

Can somebody please tell me why the Pacers just don't leave him and Jermaine in there at the same time, even if they play the same position? Dun and Murph aren't picking up the slack.

You've got it backwards. Diogu's numbers don't go up with an increase in minutes; his minutes go up when he plays well.

Ike is a complete disadvantage to his team when he's not on fire. He can't play defense, he doesn't know where to be without the ball, and he can't pass out of anything more than single-coverage. When the opposition allows Ike to play in single coverage, he'll get 20 minutes a night with 15 points. When the other coach tells his guys to watch Diogu, he'll get 7 minutes going 1 for 3 from the field.


Sorry 32, I think you have it backwards. It's so much harder for a low box player to come in the game and have an immediate impact. Why do you think that the MVP of all the all star games are rarely post players. It's usually someone who has their hands on the ball most the time. It takes "back to the basket" players a few minutes to get in tune with the pace of the game and their own point guard. That's why his production goes up the longer he is in there. Just like a bruising running back.

That may be the case for him to get his rhythm going... but what about all the other aspects of his game? Ike is only a fair rebounder (where his size is truly his disadvantage), his defense is terrible, his passing produces turnovers, and he doesn't know where to be without the ball.

It all comes down to whether or not you'd like to take Ike Diogu's negatives with his positives. Clearly, in a Nelson system where passing is so important, defense is intense and fast-paced, and running around without the ball is just as important as scoring, Diogu had no place. Many figured a change in scenary would do the trick... but even in Indiana's post-friendly system that caters to Jermaine O'Neal, Danny Granger, and occasionally Jamaal Tinsley going one-on-one with their man, Ike Diogu's still having problems staying on the floor.

One thing's for sure... if Diogu was really as great as many people think he is, I doubt he'd be overlooked by 3 different coachs with 3 different styles, don't you?
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image

All Star
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:43 pm
Location: Union City/Torrance, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:56 am
TMC wrote:In any case, Ike's always fun to look at:

Image


I'm sorry but MDJ is soo much funnier in the pics.

1.) Roundhouse kick to face by Cavs player.

2.) Absent minded look as JKidd goes in for layup

3.) Him appearing to hump his dads leg.
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden
User avatar
Rookie
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:54 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:28 pm
32 wrote:
Ike is a complete disadvantage to his team when he's not on fire. He can't play defense, he doesn't know where to be without the ball, and he can't pass out of anything more than single-coverage. When the opposition allows Ike to play in single coverage, he'll get 20 minutes a night with 15 points. When the other coach tells his guys to watch Diogu, he'll get 7 minutes going 1 for 3 from the field.


Agree with this. Until Ike improves his D and learns how to pass out of double teams, he will remain on the bench. Guy is a beast in the low block though.
23 hours of my day are spent wondering what to do with my hour of spare time...
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron