Article about losing Jrich or Baron

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:15 pm
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/sports/basketball/nba/golden_state_warriors/16945199.htm

Just wanted to see what u guys think, it seems like a harsh reality
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:18 pm
Am I the only one that things this article comes at the WORST possible time?. We're fighting for the playoffs, so let's talk about playoffs and forget this non-sense until the season is over, for god's sake.
Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:12 pm
man after reading that. it just killed my spirit about being in the playoff hunt. i had no idea on their cap situation or w/e but please keep the best backcourt in the nba together, make it happen. MANN :banghead:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:46 pm
almost every team in the NBA has the same issue. The top two salaried players on almost every team you look at account for at least 40% of the total salary cap. Just the reality....

I dont think it comes as any suprise that we wont be able to keep all of these guys together for the next 5 to 6 years. We have to decide who the 2-3 we want to build around and retain those players.

Other way to look at it is we have an abundance of wing type players and a great need for a tough rebounder. It makes sense to move one of these guys to address our needs.

Would love it if we could keep and pay everyone but those days are long gone.
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:16 pm
Richardson and Davis will stay intact. This team's built around it's backcourt.

Article isn't that surprising; sounds like somebody trying to stir it up.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:41 pm
Even if we'd be willing to part with one/both. Who would take them for expirers or has salary cap room? Bobcats?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:01 pm
cladden wrote:Even if we'd be willing to part with one/both. Who would take them for expirers or has salary cap room? Bobcats?

I think the author's hinting at the idea of not resigning Baron Davis when his contract's up (he even goes as far to claim that Baron might actually opt out after next year). :roll:

Anybody watching any Warriors games lastely knows how stupid that sounds.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:29 pm
Very interesting article and great point by Marcus Thompson, one of the writers I like the most. With Monta and Biedrins being keys to the team and so young with their contracts ending soon, it is hard to keep the team as is together. I think baron shouldn't get more than 13 million a year and Harrington may be getting 1 million or so too much. Every team goes over the salary cap when trying to become a contender so going over by some 20 million shouldn't be that out of the ordinary BUT the team has to be a contender by then. I would like things to stay the same but the fact is, Baron is paid alot for an injuryprone player and if he doesn't play close to a ful season next season, he should be the one to go, if I was to chose a player to go. A trade for Gasol or some other star big or just for expirers, if Monta shows he can be the future PG, is the best way t go if it comes to that.

You got to pay to build a championship team. That's what happens almost every time so it is not an indifferent situation

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:43 am
This team is not even playoff-worthy without Baron Davis. Keep that in mind when you're talking about building a "championship" team.

And Harrington is both horribly and obviously overpaid. Everyone knew that he was gonna get overpaid, prior to last summer, so it's no surprise. But the difference between him and Dunleavy is this: I don't mind having Harrington on my team for the next 4 years.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:27 pm
What relevance was that last! :roll:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:37 am
32 wrote:This team is not even playoff-worthy without Baron Davis. Keep that in mind when you're talking about building a "championship" team.

And Harrington is both horribly and obviously overpaid. Everyone knew that he was gonna get overpaid, prior to last summer, so it's no surprise. But the difference between him and Dunleavy is this: I don't mind having Harrington on my team for the next 4 years.

Ay sir.

But hey, what can you say? Harrington wasn't going to come cheap no matter where he ended up. Money is always an issue with athletes these days, they want it. But at least he's producing, something that can't really be said about Dun. :wink:

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:28 am
Warriors fans may have rose colored glasses, but get real Baron is not franchise player. Yes, it would be nice to see Mullin pull another miracle and move either (harrington, Jrich with Foyle) for middle the road talent but I am not keeping my fingers crossed. I have three issues with departing with Baron. Injuries, his contract renews when Ellis and Biedrins start to get bigger, and last time I checked he got totally outplayed by some young named Deron Williams in a critical playoff like game. Warrior fans think we have the best talent in the world in a perfect world. A team that hasn't scratch .500 for 12 years does not have good basketball all-star players despite our desperate hopes. If Warriors fans do the math, our team will say bye to Ellis and BD, and keep Foyle, J-Rich, Biedrins, Jackson and maybe Al if we can't draft a better PF.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:39 am
dareedle wrote:it would be nice to see Mullin pull another miracle and move either (harrington, Jrich with Foyle) for middle the road talent

It must suck to be a Kings fan nowadays. :mrgreen:
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:10 am
King fans, yeah, there's been a pretty hard crash for that team the last couple of years. Going from an annual playoff team and potential champ, to a team with lots of nothing. All their players are past prime, and its time to tear that apart.

As for the W's, the real drag is Foyle. After that, it is difficult to do anything when the team reaches its salary cap with 4 players (BD, JRich, Foyle, Harrington). There is no way to come under the cap in the next couple of years, as all four are under contract until at least 2009.

But, even making a trade with any of them (all potential except Foyle), won't clear up cap space. Trades with that much value have to return the same salary level. W's are just going to be over the cap for the next couple years and have to deal with it.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:17 am
dareedle wrote:and last time I checked he got totally outplayed by some young named Deron Williams in a critical playoff like game.

deron totally outplayed baron?? what are you sick? uh, i think YOU need to get real...

BD - 25 minutes, 20 pts, 7 assists, 2 steals
DW - 41 minutes, 10 pts, 17 assists, 0 steals

deron outplayed Monta...not BD..monta sucked azz that night..dude was half asleep.

now I don't know what you call being outplayed, b/c it wasn't deron that came through in crunch time. in fact, i recall him missing some layups and throwing the ball away at the end of the 4th...it was carlos that came through..and AK.

but w/e, you're a typical BD hater spouting opinions with your BD-hating lens on...

dareedle wrote:Warrior fans think we have the best talent in the world in a perfect world.

uh, which "warrior" fans are you asking? it always amazes me how posters like yourself can make general statements like that...find me ONE post, just one, where anyone here says that we have the best talent in the world... anything???

dareedle wrote:A team that hasn't scratch .500 for 12 years does not have good basketball all-star players despite our desperate hopes.

wow, again, another comment without fulling thinking through... if you put 10 years, i might agree with you...certainly BD this year and arguably JRich last year, were all-stars despite not being on the team...

but c'mon dude, think about it...what you're saying is that a team that can't scratch .500 does not have good all-stars...is that not essentially what you're saying? c'mon dude, it takes more than one or two all-stars to make a team successful...

Seattle? lewis and allen? they're not 'GOOD' all-stars?

minny? kg's not a 'GOOD' all-star?

milw? redd's not a 'GOOD' all-star?

boston? pierce's not a 'GOOD' all-star?

:roll:
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball