Will Baron ever be able to do this again?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:39 pm
TMC wrote:
ritchie wrote:Baron played all 82 games his first three years.

That's irrelevant at this point. He was a rookie playing less than 20 min per game his first season and was much healthier at the time.

I'm not saying he's a quitter (quite frankly, I don't want to go back to that thread again), just that he's playing it safe, not taking any risks with his knees. And that's what he has to do. Better having Baron available 25 min per game than watching from the sidelines.

It's relevant based on what that poster said (Baron's never played a full season blablahblah).

As far as health, if you recall Baron's rookie season, he was on the pudgy side so he struggled with his conditioning his rookie year with the then Charlotte Hornets. His conditioning improved and he dropped about 20 pounds during his second and third year, which by the way he was averaging 35 minutes + a game.

I think what your saying and what that poster is saying is being lumped together. You're saying Baron's playing it safe, that poster is saying Baron is a quitter and has no heart. There's a big difference in those viewpoints.
23 hours of my day are spent wondering what to do with my hour of spare time...
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:39 pm
sigh...this **** gets really old after a while. Guess we have to have something negative to talk about as the ws are 6-0 since his return. Anyone ever had arthoscopic knee surgery? I have, twice. With rehab, you are not supposed to resume sporting activities for at least six weeks. Baron is out there after 3 weeks playing the most demanding team sport in the world on knees which have not rehabbed. Whatever his motivation (something none of us who aren't his friends could possibly know, so the speculation and attribution is ludicrous), he is showing a lot of guts and desire just to be out there on what is obviously still a bad knee.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:57 pm
I agree that we don't need him throwing down windmills on a bum knee, but my question is will he ever be back to his old self as far as explosiveness? Out of college he had a 42 inch vertical. He's still in his athletic peak, so if he can get fully healthy again, he should at least be able to hit 40 it seems.

It's good that he has had to polish the other aspects of his game due to the injuries, but what if he could take that improvement, and then re-add the abillity to bop over people, and throw down ally oops. Remember he was not just a good dunker, he was a certified skywalker. Baron with 42 inch vertical, J-rich with 43 and Monta with at least 40, the W's could look like the harlem globetrotters.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:43 pm
Baron looks seriously hurt tonight. He has no spring at all
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:03 am
coltraning wrote:sigh...this **** gets really old after a while. Guess we have to have something negative to talk about as the ws are 6-0 since his return. Anyone ever had arthoscopic knee surgery? I have, twice. With rehab, you are not supposed to resume sporting activities for at least six weeks. Baron is out there after 3 weeks playing the most demanding team sport in the world on knees which have not rehabbed. Whatever his motivation (something none of us who aren't his friends could possibly know, so the speculation and attribution is ludicrous), he is showing a lot of guts and desire just to be out there on what is obviously still a bad knee.

Your word has all the validity coltraning. You have been there and know what it is like. Fact is Baron is playing very well and that has made all the difference it seems so the guy should only get credit right now

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:02 am
I wouldn't doubt Baron at this point. You guys are talking like the guy is 40 years old and washed up. He's 28 and the prime of his career is now for the next 5 years. He's learning to play with his head more. Nash didn't reach MVP status until he was 30. Lets not forget Baron's knee surgery while at UCLA where everyone said that he wouldn't be the same. Guess what..he proved everyone wrong and showed even more hops after the surgery. That made him the 3rd pick of a draft loaded with talent (Elton Brand, Steve Francis, Shawn Marion, Lamar Odom, Richard Hamilton, Andre Miller, Ron Artest, and Andrei Kirilenko). Baron with only half of his athletic ability is still better more explosive than most pgs in the league. If this team is going to make the playoffs, it will ride on the shoulders of Baron Davis.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:24 pm
coltraning wrote:sigh...this **** gets really old after a while. Guess we have to have something negative to talk about as the ws are 6-0 since his return. Anyone ever had arthoscopic knee surgery? I have, twice. With rehab, you are not supposed to resume sporting activities for at least six weeks. Baron is out there after 3 weeks playing the most demanding team sport in the world on knees which have not rehabbed. Whatever his motivation (something none of us who aren't his friends could possibly know, so the speculation and attribution is ludicrous), he is showing a lot of guts and desire just to be out there on what is obviously still a bad knee.

:D Nothing more to more to add.

All you former high school players who think you know something about guts and desire aren't convincing anybody. Baron Davis is a bonafide savage whose competitive nature has willed him back into the NBA during a tough, physical, playoff-style season's end, when every team is playing every game like it's their last. The fact that Baron Davis is running and jumping for half an hour on a knee that's barely holding together should be proof enough. The man wants the team to win. Simple and plain.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:48 pm
BT wrote:Stalling. Oh yes he is. He knows his knee is strong enough to play hard, but he chooses not to; because his knee isn't duirable in the long run. He stalls enough time around next season or the one after to grant himself an extension. If this season he played the full 82, and another 70+ next season; he would be done for the rest of his career. But you may ask, how does he recieve a contract extension if he never plays, well thats why he briefly makes comebacks and shows flashes of brilliance and his significance to the team. In the Portland game, he complained to Don Nelson that his knee was stiff, so Nelson benched him, but after he saw the opportunity with only limited time to play and only down abit, he wanted to come back in miraciously. But he didn't.

His knees only have so much life, so after he gets his extension and payment done, he could either choose to play hard again and then end his career with secured cash.

aaah...all you had to say was that you're a Baron hater...then i would have understood where this garbage was coming from...

uh, yaaa....that's what BD's doing.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:53 pm
32 wrote:

:D Nothing more to more to add.

All you former high school players who think you know something about guts and desire aren't convincing anybody. Baron Davis is a bonafide savage whose competitive nature has willed him back into the NBA during a tough, physical, playoff-style season's end, when every team is playing every game like it's their last. The fact that Baron Davis is running and jumping for half an hour on a knee that's barely holding together should be proof enough. The man wants the team to win. Simple and plain.

very nicely said...
Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:06 pm
baron may never play 82 games a season again, but i gurantee you that everytime hes out there in a warrior's jersey hes playing to win, and hes playing with pure fire and guts. and without him, i don't even wanna start.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:26 am
32 wrote:All you former high school players who think you know something about guts and desire aren't convincing anybody. Baron Davis is a bonafide savage whose competitive nature has willed him back into the NBA during a tough, physical, playoff-style season's end, when every team is playing every game like it's their last. The fact that Baron Davis is running and jumping for half an hour on a knee that's barely holding together should be proof enough. The man wants the team to win. Simple and plain.

Who's talking about desire?. I have no doubts about his desire. I'm just saying that he has to be careful with his knees now. For god's sake, he's just coming from surgery... the 13219847239471th surgery he has.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:45 am
TMC wrote:
32 wrote:All you former high school players who think you know something about guts and desire aren't convincing anybody. Baron Davis is a bonafide savage whose competitive nature has willed him back into the NBA during a tough, physical, playoff-style season's end, when every team is playing every game like it's their last. The fact that Baron Davis is running and jumping for half an hour on a knee that's barely holding together should be proof enough. The man wants the team to win. Simple and plain.

Who's talking about desire?. I have no doubts about his desire. I'm just saying that he has to be careful with his knees now. For god's sake, he's just coming from surgery... the 13219847239471th surgery he has.

I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about anybody who believes Baron Davis would (or has) quit on the team.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:02 am
32 wrote:
TMC wrote:

I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about anybody who believes Baron Davis would (or has) quit on the team.

Oh. Ok. My mistake. :oops:
Previous

Return to Warriors Basketball