Will Baron ever be able to do this again?

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:35 am
Or has his explosiveness and vertical leap gimped for good?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_r1FAyzRLo

Cmon BD, bring it back baby
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:26 am
The way his knees are right now, we're better off with a more "grounded" Baron...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:23 am
Nice mix. He can jump, always could and with the size of that rump, noone will fair well getting in his way :mrgreen:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:37 am
Like I said, getting up there's not the problem... BD doesn't need to feel the impact of coming down from 10-feet in the air on his shaky knee's. :oops:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:37 am
TMC wrote:The way his knees are right now, we're better off with a more "grounded" Baron...

i'd have to agree...it's nice to have super athletic hops, but I believe those days are over...he was younger, lighter, and fresher then...

consider it part of his development process...

he plays a better floor game, a more of a complete game... maybe now he'll work on his outside game since he doesn't have his athleticism to fall back on.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:07 am
TMC wrote:The way his knees are right now, we're better off with a more "grounded" Baron...

Well this is good because baron can focus on creating for other guys not using his typical game. He can hone the other aspects of his game.
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:41 am
As much as Baron is making right now, I think he's just being a ***** and stalling. He's stalling until next season or the one after, if he stays consistent and shows flashes of excellence and maintains his knees, he's going to land another big time contract.
New. Stuff.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:27 am
BT wrote:As much as Baron is making right now, I think he's just being a ***** and stalling. He's stalling until next season or the one after, if he stays consistent and shows flashes of excellence and maintains his knees, he's going to land another big time contract.

stalling? you lost me with this post...

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:43 am
Stalling. Oh yes he is. He knows his knee is strong enough to play hard, but he chooses not to; because his knee isn't duirable in the long run. He stalls enough time around next season or the one after to grant himself an extension. If this season he played the full 82, and another 70+ next season; he would be done for the rest of his career. But you may ask, how does he recieve a contract extension if he never plays, well thats why he briefly makes comebacks and shows flashes of brilliance and his significance to the team. In the Portland game, he complained to Don Nelson that his knee was stiff, so Nelson benched him, but after he saw the opportunity with only limited time to play and only down abit, he wanted to come back in miraciously. But he didn't.

His knees only have so much life, so after he gets his extension and payment done, he could either choose to play hard again and then end his career with secured cash.
New. Stuff.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:48 am
You're seriously losing me.

All this BS about Baron being a quitter makes me question if people are watching games or just starting rumors. Baron Davis' current goal in life is to break the Golden State Warriors' playoff-less streak. I'm sure he'd like to get a contract extension (and, honestly, I'd be thrilled to have him back), but his main goal is not greedy and self-centered.

If Baron was purely pulling for a contract in 2008, he wouldn't be playing through injury the way he is. He'd sit the rest of the season out and prepare his body for his contract season. As it stands, Baron Davis is a tough SOB. I don't know why people bash him (especially people claiming to be Warriors fans).

But, then again, I dunno why people bash Barry Bonds. I guess some people just feed into the hype machine. :dontknow:
Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:53 am
I believe he can. However, the days of him playing 35-38 minutes a game might be over. He came into camp in great shape, but he played so much during the earlier part of the year and it broke him down. Looking ahead to next season, if they keep him limited to 28-32 minutes a game, I think he can play at least 70 games. Too bad too, he's obviously a monster when healthy.
23 hours of my day are spent wondering what to do with my hour of spare time...

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:09 pm
32 wrote:You're seriously losing me.

All this BS about Baron being a quitter makes me question if people are watching games or just starting rumors. Baron Davis' current goal in life is to break the Golden State Warriors' playoff-less streak. I'm sure he'd like to get a contract extension (and, honestly, I'd be thrilled to have him back), but his main goal is not greedy and self-centered.

If Baron was purely pulling for a contract in 2008, he wouldn't be playing through injury the way he is. He'd sit the rest of the season out and prepare his body for his contract season. As it stands, Baron Davis is a tough SOB. I don't know why people bash him (especially people claiming to be Warriors fans).

But, then again, I dunno why people bash Barry Bonds. I guess some people just feed into the hype machine. :dontknow:

No because if he sat out for the rest of the season, they would ultimately believe that he's a complete quitter and has no heart. Instead he plays once in awhile, just so he could show flashes of brilliance and then take a couple days off and show promise and tell the GM that he has heart; but if he really had heart, he would've played last season with more games, same with this season. As along as he shows promise and potential without completely destroying his knee, he will get an extension. If next season, he plays a full 70+ games and then playoffs, his knee is going to wither and he won't get it. So he's playing smart.

If he really had that much of heart as you say, he would have at least had one season in his career with a full 82 or 70+, but he doesn't. He has the skills to become an elite point guard but doesn't have the heart to do so and now since he's older and knees are withering. He has to stall until contract extension.

and Yes, I am spreading rumors. I like to keep ideas fresh, hopefully it'll spread like herpes.
New. Stuff.
Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:16 pm
BT wrote:
No because if he sat out for the rest of the season, they would ultimately believe that he's a complete quitter and has no heart. Instead he plays once in awhile, just so he could show flashes of brilliance and then take a couple days off and show promise and tell the GM that he has heart; but if he really had heart, he would've played last season with more games, same with this season. As along as he shows promise and potential without completely destroying his knee, he will get an extension. If next season, he plays a full 70+ games and then playoffs, his knee is going to wither and he won't get it. So he's playing smart.

If he really had that much of heart as you say, he would have at least had one season in his career with a full 82 or 70+, but he doesn't. He has the skills to become an elite point guard but doesn't have the heart to do so and now since he's older and knees are withering. He has to stall until contract extension.

and Yes, I am spreading rumors. I like to keep ideas fresh, hopefully it'll spread like herpes.

Ummm...Baron played all 82 games his first three years. Baron has plenty of heart. If he was a quitter as you say, he wouldn't be playing right now. The guy is playing on one knee, he can't even practice for the rest of the year so he can be saved during the actual games.
23 hours of my day are spent wondering what to do with my hour of spare time...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:20 pm
ritchie wrote:
BT wrote:

Ummm...Baron played all 82 games his first three years. Baron has plenty of heart. If he was a quitter as you say, he wouldn't be playing right now. The guy is playing on one knee, he can't even practice for the rest of the year so he can be saved during the actual games.

What he said.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:31 pm
ritchie wrote:Baron played all 82 games his first three years.

That's irrelevant at this point. He was a rookie playing less than 20 min per game his first season and was much healthier at the time.

I'm not saying he's a quitter (quite frankly, I don't want to go back to that thread again), just that he's playing it safe, not taking any risks with his knees. And that's what he has to do. Better having Baron available 25 min per game than watching from the sidelines.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball