Nelson fined 15 grand for talking about Durant, Oden in SI

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:12 pm
here is what he said

"I think it'd be pretty simple for us,'' he said. "We would probably have to go with the bigger guy at this point.''

"If Durant is going to be what I would classify as a superstar, I'd have to rethink that,'' Nelson said. "Because the No. 1 thing is to get a star and the No. 2 thing is to get a good big man.''

"I'll have plenty of time to look at all that and voice my opinion to Mully and Mully will make the call,'' Nelson said. "With this team the center position is one that we're looking for. But I'd say anybody up front. Our backcourt's pretty solid.''

ummm..... he does realize that it's like a thousand to one that we'll get the first pick, right? assuming we don't make the playoffs.

And what's with this new rule that NBA staff isn't allowed to speak about college players? That seems a little too controlling
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:27 pm
Yeah, it's a stupid rule. MJ got fined too for talking about Durant's versatility.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:02 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:here is what he said

"I think it'd be pretty simple for us,'' he said. "We would probably have to go with the bigger guy at this point.''

"If Durant is going to be what I would classify as a superstar, I'd have to rethink that,'' Nelson said. "Because the No. 1 thing is to get a star and the No. 2 thing is to get a good big man.''

"I'll have plenty of time to look at all that and voice my opinion to Mully and Mully will make the call,'' Nelson said. "With this team the center position is one that we're looking for. But I'd say anybody up front. Our backcourt's pretty solid.''

ummm..... he does realize that it's like a thousand to one that we'll get the first pick, right? assuming we don't make the playoffs.

Yea, tanking not happening now, looks like playoffs in fact :mrgreen:

tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:And what's with this new rule that NBA staff isn't allowed to speak about college players? That seems a little too controlling

Just another fascist step and the players and fans are the ones that should fight that hard

migya make the ring fall on ya
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:12 am
so then that means he's not so high on Dre?

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:50 am
Reverse Psychology on the Players? Implicitly, telling the Warriors that they won't make the playoffs and will land into the lottery? Cool.
New. Stuff.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:29 am
Hoonyo wrote:so then that means he's not so high on Dre?

Nah, just that he won't pass on Oden for Dre. Actually, who would do it?
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:31 am
TMC wrote:
Hoonyo wrote:so then that means he's not so high on Dre?

Nah, just that he won't pass on Oden for Dre. Actually, who would do it?

I dunno. I'm a bit more sold on Durant right now, as he is already showing his skills, something Oden is struggling to do. Still, a team built around Oden could be championship level if he pans out. It seems like Durant would fit better into our system though.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:59 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:And what's with this new rule that NBA staff isn't allowed to speak about college players? That seems a little too controlling

David Stern? Controlling?

You must be joking, Pest. Stern's the most just man I've ever seen. Second only to the Dalia Lama :^o
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:05 pm
wonder when someone is going to retain the aclu to sue this bastard. If you can't reply to a reporter's question, what's next? I didn't realize NBA folks gave up their first amendment rights.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:13 pm
coltraning wrote:wonder when someone is going to retain the aclu to sue this bastard. If you can't reply to a reporter's question, what's next? I didn't realize NBA folks gave up their first amendment rights.

Yeah, stupid rule after stupid rule keeps getting passed. It's time something happened.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:47 am
JayPat wrote:
coltraning wrote:wonder when someone is going to retain the aclu to sue this bastard. If you can't reply to a reporter's question, what's next? I didn't realize NBA folks gave up their first amendment rights.

Yeah, stupid rule after stupid rule keeps getting passed. It's time something happened.

This rule it's not new. George Karl was fined a while ago (I don't remember if it was last season or two seasons ago) for making comments... ABOUT HIS OWN SON.
Last edited by TMC on Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:28 am
TMC wrote:
JayPat wrote:

This rule it's not new. George Karl was fined a while ago (I don't remember if it was last season or two seasons ago) for making comments... ABOUT HIS OWN SON.

Good old corporate America

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:12 am
TMC wrote:
JayPat wrote:

not quite TMC, he didn't make comments about his own son, he went to a workout to watch his own son play......along with brandon roy and many other prospects. I think that one was justified
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:22 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
TMC wrote:
JayPat wrote:

not quite TMC, he didn't make comments about his own son, he went to a workout to watch his own son play......along with brandon roy and many other prospects. I think that one was justified

Really?. Well, seems I was wrong. In any case, I guess it's still the same rule.

Which I find pretty stupid, to be honest. One thing is tampering, but just talking about draftables (or even go to game to watch them play) is far from that. It may even be benefitial to the kids.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:42 am
I understand the mentality behind it. The league does not want coaches/Gm's/and team official or represnetative to tamper with the draft. by watching a kid play or talking up his qualtities, you draw more interest in that player. What if there were two potential top picks (Durant and Oden), and people started talking up one over the other?

Or, there's a kid your team might like to draft, so you put out to the media that he underworks, is injury prone, or 'doesn't love the game' as we've heard before. His draft stock drops, your team might get him at a better rate.

Anyway, the other part of it, why was SI asking Nellie about the top pick, is pretty simple to explain as well. A lot of what goes into the mag is not at all timely. They hit topics well in advance of using the material. It could have been a legitamate question a month ago, when the W's had their big losing streak (and people were screaming 'tank').

Look at the Player section of the mag. They always have a poll question, but the poll is taken before the year starts. How can you use that info throughout the year? It just is not timely.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball