Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:10 pm
http://www.denverpost.com/spears/ci_5458706

Warriors golden for playoffs
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post NBA Beat Reporter
Article Last Updated: 03/17/2007 10:31:13 PM MDT

Golden State Warriors executive Chris Mullin won't say it. The disappointments of past teams are too many for him to make predictions.

Since Mullin is being quiet, I will go on a limb for him. Unlucky number 13 won't come the Warriors' way this season. After a 12-season hiatus, Golden State will be back in the NBA playoffs.

"I hope you're right. I hope you don't jinx us. I hope it's not a big limb," Mullin said Thursday by telephone.

It's not a big limb. Now that the injury- plagued Warriors are at full strength, the less-talented teams fighting for No. 8 in the Western Conference, the Los Angeles Clippers, Minnesota and New Orleans, don't have a shot to steal it away.

Golden State defeated Minnesota 106-86 on Friday, which came on the heels of a 117-100 victory over the NBA-best Dallas Mavericks.

The Warriors were 5-0 with the starting five of Baron Davis, Jason Richardson, Andris Biedrins, Stephen Jackson and Al Harrington entering Saturday's game against Seattle. In three of those five wins, the starters scored in double figures.

The athletic, high- scoring and fun- to-watch Warriors have a deep bench, including guard Monta Ellis, a most improved player of the year candidate; forwards Mickael Pietrus and Matt Barnes and veteran center Adonal Foyle.

The aforementioned starting lineup averages 108.6 points and is shooting 41 percent from 3-point-range while opponents average 92.8 points.

"We've got a good foundation," Mullin said. "A good base. We have a good combination of experience and youth. You try to get better. That means changing some things."

The person most deserving credit for meshing a team hit hard by injuries and adjusting to a big midseason trade is new coach Don Nelson, the NBA's second-winningest coach.

"Nellie does things where he keeps it simple and gets guys to play to their strengths," Mullin said. "A lot of guys talk about it, but he does it. He has a way about him where everything is very decisive, he has an impressive style and guys don't second-guess.

"He'll give you freedom. He'll back you. He keeps you accountable for what goes on out there. He backs up what he says."

Mullin was on the Warriors' most recent playoff team, which was swept by Phoenix, in 1994. Despite being 2-0 against Dallas this season, a first-round matchup against the NBA's top power would be interesting but Golden State would be outmanned. Even so, after waiting for so long, Golden State will be thrilled to get back into the postseason.

"It would really just be a steppingstone for more things to come," Mullin said.
W A R R I O R S
13 years and waiting..FINALLY WE'RE IN THE PLAYOFFS LEEEETS GOOOOO

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:57 pm
Thanx for the article & welcome to the board JR23.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:08 pm
"It would really just be a steppingstone for more things to come," Mullin said.

Ay.

Just a couple weeks ago, Nellie said he didn't believe playoffs were possible. He counteracted the media's quote by saying they misinterpreted his saying. This just goes to show just because he says it, doesn't mean he actually meant it. He says things to motivate a player or a team. That not only makes Nelson one of the best, but that also makes Don Nelson... well, Don Nelson. All hail the great basketball mind. :D

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:02 pm
Ay.

Just a couple weeks ago, Nellie said he didn't believe playoffs were possible. He counteracted the media's quote by saying they misinterpreted his saying. This just goes to show just because he says it, doesn't mean he actually meant it. He says things to motivate a player or a team. That not only makes Nelson one of the best, but that also makes Don Nelson... well, Don Nelson. All hail the great basketball mind. Very Happy

Not just that...but also 95% of this board started talking about tanking the season and saying there is no possible way the Warriors will make the playoffs, it's funny how things change so fast...
New. Stuff.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:08 pm
BT wrote:
Ay.

Just a couple weeks ago, Nellie said he didn't believe playoffs were possible. He counteracted the media's quote by saying they misinterpreted his saying. This just goes to show just because he says it, doesn't mean he actually meant it. He says things to motivate a player or a team. That not only makes Nelson one of the best, but that also makes Don Nelson... well, Don Nelson. All hail the great basketball mind. Very Happy

Not just that...but also 95% of this board started talking about tanking the season and saying there is no possible way the Warriors will make the playoffs, it's funny how things change so fast...

True... but who could have predicted our recent run?

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:13 pm
Nobody would of predicted the recent run, because nobody has seen the starting 5 that the Warriors have play for this long. Nobody in the NBA would of predicted it.
W A R R I O R S
Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:18 pm
i don't care how they get there... as long as the warriors make the playoffs i'm happy
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:30 pm
aaustria wrote:i don't care how they get there... as long as the warriors make the playoffs i'm happy

Everyone will be if they do, I've been playoff starved so much that a 4-game sweep out of the first round seems mighty good right now.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:26 pm
I actually did predict it...saying that Jason Richardson would add the offensive boost and then stall/recovers until BDavis comes back, and then thats where the Warriors dominate and if I remember correctly, the only person who agreed with me was OG Broe and someone else....
New. Stuff.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:07 pm
JayPat wrote:
BT wrote:
Ay.

True... but who could have predicted our recent run?

That's right. Just great that it has happened but the team hasn't made it yet, they have to keep winning some

migya make the ring fall on ya
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:34 pm
BT wrote:I actually did predict it...saying that Jason Richardson would add the offensive boost and then stall/recovers until BDavis comes back, and then thats where the Warriors dominate and if I remember correctly, the only person who agreed with me was OG Broe and someone else....

BT, I don’t read up on enough of these threads, but I do know that you, Broe, 32, Xbay, and a few others have always kept faith. Now, let's see if we can make Lucky 13 a reality!

Oh, and my bad. How can I forget Colt! He's in there with Jack, and slammin' a bet down with Migya!
Last edited by CjR on Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:32 am
BT wrote:I actually did predict it...saying that Jason Richardson would add the offensive boost and then stall/recovers until BDavis comes back, and then thats where the Warriors dominate and if I remember correctly, the only person who agreed with me was OG Broe and someone else....

Yeah, I also said that getting back a healthy J-Rich would be a big boost for the team.

Of course, I also said that we'd probably fall short of the playoffs again... glad to be proven wrong.

btw, welcome to the board JR23

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:29 am
TMC wrote:

Yeah, I also said that getting back a healthy J-Rich would be a big boost for the team.

Of course, I also said that we'd probably fall short of the playoffs again... glad to be proven wrong.

btw, welcome to the board JR23

thanks,

yea, J-Rich has done alot of this team. And its nice to know that we dont need him, or Baron to have to score 25 a game to get a dub.
W A R R I O R S
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:51 pm
Yeah but we do need Baron on the floor to win. Even if he doesn't score all that much, his presence is what makes us win a lot.
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:55 pm
Playoffs not in cards for Warriors
John Devine Just a thought
Don't be fooled: Global warming is not changing the Warriors' fate.

So don't let the Warriors' recent hot streak convince you that their playoff drought -- now in its 12th year -- is about to end.

At least the Warriors do have us talking about them again. Yet, it seems this time each spring the Warriors provide hope and create expectations for the future, only to fall short. When the pressure's off they seem like a promising team, but hey, the pressure is about to intensify.

OK, I guess this season's hope has value. At least the Warriors have got our attention for the stretch drive.

But are they creating false expectations?

I mean, these are the Warriors, whose No. 1 draft pick this past year -- a lottery pick, mind you -- is playing in Bakersfield in the developmental league.

As for the stretch drive, eight of Golden State's final 14 games are against teams who appear headed to the playoffs.

Did I also mention that seven of the Warriors' final 14 are on the road? Have you taken a look at how many wins the Warriors have on the road this year? SEVEN.

At 32-37 after Saturday's game and in the mix for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference, it's a safe bet the Warriors will have to at least split their final 14 games to overtake the Clippers for that No. 8 spot.

I wouldn't mortgage the house on that happening, but I wouldn't stop reading about them either.

Ironically, two of the Warriors' road wins this season have come against Dallas and Detroit, the two best teams in their respective conferences.

And of the Mavericks 11 losses this season, two have come from Golden State.

Go figure.

I suspect if there is one team Dallas doesn't want to see in the first round, it would be the Warriors, who have won the last three meetings dating back to last season.

Hey, let's not get too carried away.

Gimmicks don't work in crunch time. And gimmicks are Don Nelson's specialty. He uses his talent with lineup shuffles.

But is it necessary down the stretch now that the Warriors are at full strength?

This is a team with options.

Andris Biedrins is the best post player the Warriors have had since Nelson ran Chris Webber out of town 12 years ago, the last time they made the playoffs.

And is there a more athletic team than the Warriors, except for Phoenix?

I have to admit, seeing the Warriors with all their parts in place for the first time all season is intriguing. You don't whoop up on the best team in the NBA (Dallas) by luck.

Seeing Jason Richardson and Baron Davis healthy creates -- dare I say? -- belief. Still something isn't right.

Maybe it's Nelson, who I still hold accountable for the Warriors 12-year absence from the postseason.

He is the one who shipped Webber off in a dispute after a 50-win season, then walked out on the team after a horrific first half, citing fatigue.

Perhaps he came back to redeem himself.

Warriors fans are very forgiving. They keep filling up the arena. They're starving for a taste of the postseason.

A dozen years is a long time not to make the playoffs, particularly when more than half the league gets in. No NBA team has had a longer absence.

It's equivalent to the Detroit Lions in the NFL and the Kansas City Royals in baseball.

Of course, when you trade or don't re-sign eight players that end up becoming All-Stars, and draft such busts as Todd Fuller over Kobe Bryant in 1996, the fact that the Warriors have not made the playoffs in so long isn't so hard to believe.

That being said, I do believe the Warriors are headed in the right direction, although I'm not certain Nelson will right the ship.

You can certainly build a team around the 20-year-old Biedrins in the middle and 21-year-old point guard Monta Ellis.

But no one's interested in the future.

All that matters right now is the final 14 games.

Can Golden State slip past the Clippers?

Call me pessimistic. But I don't see it happening.

When I think of the Warriors in pressure situations I wonder: Who takes over in crunch time? Who hits the big basket? Who makes the big stop?

I think the Warriors are still one player away from taking that next step. That one player will be on the market in the off-season.

For the Warriors to make the playoffs this season, would require winning a few road games.

Right now Golden State has the third worst road record in the NBA.

You have to put together a run of wins when you're making a push for the playoffs. You cannot be losing to teams like Portland and Milwaukee.

But at least the Warriors have us talking about the playoffs down the stretch instead of looking toward next season.

Two weeks ago, Nelson came out and said he didn't see the Warriors in the playoffs.

Was it a ploy?

Perhaps.

But reality has a way of sinking in.

I suppose chemistry can be developed for a stretch run. And thanks to a mid-season trade, the Warriors have two players with postseason experience.

But anything less than a playoff spot this season would have to be considered a failure.

--- just to try to stir something up :P. i got a little irritated at the article

That's me :D
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball