Road to the playoffs

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:11 am
This is the upcoming schedule for all the teams involved in the race for the last seed in the west:

Clips

at New Jersey
at Chicago
at Milwaukee
Utah
Washington
Houston
at Sacramento
at Portland
Lakers
Denver
at Dallas
at NOK
at Lakers
Portland
Sacramento
at Phoenix
NOK

T'Wolves

at Lakers
at Phoenix
at Sacramento
at Seattle
Portland
Seattle
at Utah
Miami
at Orlando
Cleveland
at New York
NOK
Toronto
Dallas
San Antonio
at Golden State
at Denver
Memphis

Sacramento

at Atlanta
Minnesota
at Phoenix
Phoenix
Clippers
at Lakers
Dallas
at Denver
Utah
Houston
at Memphis
at San Antonio
Golden State
at Clippers
NOK
Lakers

NOK Hornets

Boston
at Memphis
Lakers
Houston
Dallas
at San Antonio
New York
at Milwaukee
Seattle
Phoenix
at Minnesota
Clippers
Denver
at Houston
at Sacramento
at Clippers

Warriors

at Utah
Washington
at Lakers
San Antonio
Phoenix
Memphis
at Houston
at Memphis
at San Antonio
Utah
at Sacramento
Minnesota
Dallas
at Portland

My thoughts team by team:

Clips==> Tough schedule. Lots of games on the road and not a single easy game. Should be out of the run.

T'Wolves==> A bit easier than the Clips. Still, 4 of the last 5 will be really difficult games. They better start winning now to have a chance.

Kings==> Just one easy game against Memphis and they play lots of games against teams in the run for that playoff spot. They'll need to win them all to have a chance.

NOK==> Best schedule so far. Several games against bad teams (Boston, Memphis, Seattle) and lots of games at home. The last three are on the road, tho. Still, I think they're our biggest rival right now.

Warriors==> We have the least number of games to play. And not many easy ones. We cannot fail against Memphis, Sacramento and Minnesota. The schedule ain't easy. Probably the second toughest after the Clips.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:59 am
This is the first thread I think I've seen you create TMC :wink:

Agree with everything. The TWolves I reckon may be the team that challenges the most but the Warriors have it easier than most from now on. The home games must be won for the most part

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:12 am
migya wrote:This is the first thread I think I've seen you create TMC :wink:

In case you haven't noticed, I started the NFL one. :wink:

But yeah, most of my threads are in other sections of the board. The Ws forum is so frequently updated that most topics are already covered when I post here.

migya wrote:Agree with everything. The TWolves I reckon may be the team that challenges the most but the Warriors have it easier than most from now on. The home games must be won for the most part

Yeah, I also believe our home games will be the key. We have to win those and try to win 2 or 3 on the road.

That fact the we have already played more games than any other is a reason for concern, tho. Some teams will be just cruising the last few games of the season, and that may lead to easy wins for teams still on the playoffs race.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:15 am
I don't think any team will be cruising this season's end. There are too many teams battling for positions, be it for a playoff spot or home court advantage. The team has the advantage right now because they have more games at home than on the road

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:23 am
migya wrote:I don't think any team will be cruising this season's end. There are too many teams battling for positions, be it for a playoff spot or home court advantage

I wasn't only talking about playoff teams. That's too close to tell. Maybe some teams will cruise, but it would be only for 2 or 3 games.

What I'm talking about are teams like Portland, Seattle, Orlando, Memphis, Boston, Charlotte, Philly... teams that will be tanking or cruising til the end of the season. Those teams may change the way the playoffs look.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:26 am
Well the team is playing some of those teams so if they start to tank, easier to win but it may or may not happen

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:32 am
I took the analysis one step further, breaking the schedules down in March versus April.

I look at the next 2 weeks as critical for the W's. Between now and the end of March, three of the other four teams play significantly more games than the Ws:

Minn: 8 games left in March (4, 1, 3) **
Clips: 8 games left in March (4, 2, 2)
NO/OK: 7 games left in March (4, 1, 2)
Sac: 5 games left in March (2, 2, 1)
Ws: 5 games left in March (5, 0, 0)

**Using the format of classifying opponents as Playoff Bound, Fighting for Playoffs, or Out of playoffs, I've noted that breakdown in parentheses above (for example, Minnesota has 4 games against playoff bound teams, 1 against teams fighting for the final spot, and 3 games against a team out of the playoffs)

Clearly the Ws have the toughest March schedule in terms of quality of opponent.

Then, in April, the teams will have this breakdown:

Minn: 10 games left, 6 home/4 road (5, 4, 1)**
Clips: 9 games, 5 home/4 road (5, 3, 1)
NO/OK: 9 games, 4 home/5 road (3, 4, 2)
Sac: 11 games, 6 home/5 road (7, 3, 1)
Ws: 9 games, 4 home/5 road (4, 2, 3)

So Sacramento and Minnesota have an advantage in April with 6 home games still left. But it seems the the Warriors and NO/OK have the easiest April schedules, and Sacramento has the toughest. So, if the W's can be in the 8th spot or within a game of it coming out of March, they should be in very good shape. We need to see Minnesota, the Clips, and NO/Ok rack up the losses this month as they play pretty heavy schedules, and hopefully the Ws can manage to get at least 2, ideally 3, wins out of their next 5.
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:11 pm
hoopitup wrote:I took the analysis one step further, breaking the schedules down in March versus April.

I look at the next 2 weeks as critical for the W's. Between now and the end of March, three of the other four teams play significantly more games than the Ws:

Minn: 8 games left in March (4, 1, 3) **
Clips: 8 games left in March (4, 2, 2)
NO/OK: 7 games left in March (4, 1, 2)
Sac: 5 games left in March (2, 2, 1)
Ws: 5 games left in March (5, 0, 0)

**Using the format of classifying opponents as Playoff Bound, Fighting for Playoffs, or Out of playoffs, I've noted that breakdown in parentheses above (for example, Minnesota has 4 games against playoff bound teams, 1 against teams fighting for the final spot, and 3 games against a team out of the playoffs)

Clearly the Ws have the toughest March schedule in terms of quality of opponent.

Then, in April, the teams will have this breakdown:

Minn: 10 games left, 6 home/4 road (5, 4, 1)**
Clips: 9 games, 5 home/4 road (5, 3, 1)
NO/OK: 9 games, 4 home/5 road (3, 4, 2)
Sac: 11 games, 6 home/5 road (7, 3, 1)
Ws: 9 games, 4 home/5 road (4, 2, 3)

So Sacramento and Minnesota have an advantage in April with 6 home games still left. But it seems the the Warriors and NO/OK have the easiest April schedules, and Sacramento has the toughest. So, if the W's can be in the 8th spot or within a game of it coming out of March, they should be in very good shape. We need to see Minnesota, the Clips, and NO/Ok rack up the losses this month as they play pretty heavy schedules, and hopefully the Ws can manage to get at least 2, ideally 3, wins out of their next 5.

excellent analysis. I would add that the only teams playing decent ball of the other 4 fighting for 8th seed are Clips and Kings. Minny and NOK are pretty much done and last night's game pretty much finished off the sonics. If Ws can come out of March 35-38, they will be in the driver's seat.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:41 pm
Nice post, hoopitup. I agree, 3 wins out of the next 5 would be ideal, but looking at the teams we play, I think I'd be happy with going 2-3 over our next 5. In fact, that would be kind of an accomplishment. That would put us at 34-39, I believe, where we would be in decent position for our favorable schedule down the stretch.
Basketball hope in the City Of Dope?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:08 pm
baytobrooklyn wrote:Nice post, hoopitup. I agree, 3 wins out of the next 5 would be ideal, but looking at the teams we play, I think I'd be happy with going 2-3 over our next 5. In fact, that would be kind of an accomplishment. That would put us at 34-39, I believe, where we would be in decent position for our favorable schedule down the stretch.

Not so favorable... othe than the two Memphis games and the game at Portland, our schedule ain't exactly easy. Could be tough if Minny and Sacramento are still in contention in the last games. If not, it suddenly becomes the easiest one.

btw, nice job on your analysis, hoopitup.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:00 pm
Toughness of schedule aside, this is the time of the season that defines careers and possibly the direction of this team for years to come.. BD, JRich, Monta, Harrington, Beidrins, etc.. are you listening?
"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
-John Madden
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:32 pm
Nets seemingly taking this one from the clippers. This is working out very well for us.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:36 pm
cladden wrote:Nets seemingly taking this one from the clippers. This is working out very well for us.

Nice
W A R R I O R S
13 years and waiting..FINALLY WE'RE IN THE PLAYOFFS LEEEETS GOOOOO
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:56 pm
JR23 wrote:
cladden wrote:Nets seemingly taking this one from the clippers. This is working out very well for us.

Nice

And the Lakers are up against the Wolves. The Wolves are not looking good. (Neither are the Lakers but still). I envision a little bit of a buffer for us pretty soon.

Rookie
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:08 pm
The lakers are starting to fall apart. what are we, 2? 3 games behind them? if the warriors keep playing like they are, the Lakers better watch out.
W A R R I O R S
13 years and waiting..FINALLY WE'RE IN THE PLAYOFFS LEEEETS GOOOOO
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball