A Nelson comment on JRich

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:23 pm
jsw548 wrote:
hoopitup wrote:Do you have a link to the full article? Without knowing what else Nelson said about Richardson, it's hard to put this quote in context. I tend to agree with what other posters have said - the content of the quote is pretty accurate, and knowing Nellie he might have said it to make a point to Richardson.

It has been good to see how Richardson has contributed more with passing and assists the past several games.

This was the only point in the article where JRich was mentioned.

I was pretty surprised when Barnett said that 8 assists was JRich's career high.

OG - Thanks for the info on the links.

Yeah, I was also surprised that JRich never had more than 8 assists. He's so good at driving to the hoop that you'd figure there would be a game where he had done more. But I guess he's such a good finisher that he doesn't drive and dish, he drives and shoots.

Interesting that he's averaging 5.3 assists per game in the month of March, over 2 apg higher than his career average.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:54 am
coltraning wrote:
TMC wrote:Nellie could say the same thing about any player not named Baron on this team...

have to dissent, TMC. Both Monta and SJax have wonderful moments of creating for their teammates. SJax has been averaging 7 dimes a game the past 6 or 7. Obviously, Baron is the only consistent creator right now, though I think Monta may eventually surpass him. Oh, on the journeyman comment re Nelson and how he can't keep a gig, the record shows a very different story. He was with the Bucks for 11 years, the warriors for 7 and the mavs for 8. That is exceptional longevity for an NBA coach. On the main point, JRich, in addition to his scoring prowess, brings rebounding, man D and loose ball hustle, something the ws sorely need. Handling the ball is not something he should be expected to do. Leave that to Baron, Monta and Sjax.

Monta especially has shwn he can create for others. The way he takes it to the basket opens up so many opportunities that he will always have the chance to setup someone else

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:05 pm
migya wrote:
coltraning wrote:
TMC wrote:Nellie could say the same thing about any player not named Baron on this team...

have to dissent, TMC. Both Monta and SJax have wonderful moments of creating for their teammates. SJax has been averaging 7 dimes a game the past 6 or 7. Obviously, Baron is the only consistent creator right now, though I think Monta may eventually surpass him. Oh, on the journeyman comment re Nelson and how he can't keep a gig, the record shows a very different story. He was with the Bucks for 11 years, the warriors for 7 and the mavs for 8. That is exceptional longevity for an NBA coach. On the main point, JRich, in addition to his scoring prowess, brings rebounding, man D and loose ball hustle, something the ws sorely need. Handling the ball is not something he should be expected to do. Leave that to Baron, Monta and Sjax.

Monta especially has shwn he can create for others. The way he takes it to the basket opens up so many opportunities that he will always have the chance to setup someone else

yup, though his turnovers were BRUTAL against Seattle, he is trending in the best direction. Next year, he may rise to all-star level at the rate he is improving. If not, the year after. I see him as a Tony Parker-style PG with way more moves and elevation.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:47 pm
coltraning wrote:
migya wrote:
coltraning wrote:

yup, though his turnovers were BRUTAL against Seattle, he is trending in the best direction. Next year, he may rise to all-star level at the rate he is improving. If not, the year after. I see him as a Tony Parker-style PG with way more moves and elevation.

He will have to be more pass first than Parker is (though Parker has a few games a season where he gets 10 or more assists) because there is no focal point inside for the team. He is going in the right direction

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:37 am
Yeah. His stupid turnovers are down, he just needs to work on A) ball-handling/distribution and B) igniting the break.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:43 am
coltraning wrote:
migya wrote:
coltraning wrote:
TMC wrote:I see him as a Tony Parker-style PG with way more moves and elevation.

Monta Ellis has the opportunities to make plays, but he's more of shoot first guard than Baron. During that Sonics game, there were a few times he should of dropped the ball off to an open man, but he ended up taking it himself and missing the shot.

As for the elevation part. Tony Parker is 6'0 at best and has some good hops, but he just doesn't dunk it often. I have seen him rip it down 2 handed on fast breaks. Quickness wise, Parkers has a slight edge on Ellis.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:43 am
coltraning wrote:
migya wrote:
coltraning wrote:
TMC wrote:I see him as a Tony Parker-style PG with way more moves and elevation.

Monta Ellis has the opportunities to make plays, but he's more of shoot first guard than Baron. During that Sonics game, there were a few times he should of dropped the ball off to an open man, but he ended up taking it himself and missing the shot.

As for the elevation part. Tony Parker is 6'0 at best and has some good hops, but he just doesn't dunk it often. I have seen him rip it down 2 handed on fast breaks. Quickness wise, Parkers has a slight edge on Ellis.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:44 pm
First post here and I'm afraid I can't stick up for JRich here.

People have to have some statistical context I think, so compare to another player, say Vince Carter, why not? He averages almost an assist higher per 40 minutes than JRich and you can't pass it off as more touches necessarily as their TO per 40 are pretty much equal. JRich can get better passing (ooo good! I found an opportunity to stick up for JRich), and I think some of that will come when this starting 5 simply gets more time with each other. The comfort level of playing with the same people without disruptions for injury/trades is a big deal I think.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:58 pm

It's funny. I cannot remember ever posting that. :wink:

btw, welcome to the board, BradB3030.
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:34 pm
GSWGuru wrote: Quickness wise, Parkers has a slight edge on Ellis.

Have you seen the head to head footage? Monta has demonstrated several times that he is not only as quick as Parker but in fact has a distinct advantage.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:44 pm
Thunder wrote:

Have you seen the head to head footage? Monta has demonstrated several times that he is not only as quick as Parker but in fact has a distinct advantage.

Yeah, I'd bet money on it, too. Monta looked quicker than Parker, when they last met.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:14 pm
32 wrote:
Thunder wrote:

Yeah, I'd bet money on it, too. Monta looked quicker than Parker, when they last met.

Agree. Parker has the better handles and the more consintent mid-range jumper but Monta's coming there too. At this point I predict Monta to be better at everything in 1-2 years.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:33 pm
Monta had Parker crying to the ref's :cry:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:38 pm
i can't wait to see whose better when the spurs come to town. u think eva's gonna be there? i hope our girl jessica alba is there to start a cat fight. ::meow:: lol
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:04 pm
PhaNxTasY wrote:i can't wait to see whose better when the spurs come to town. u think eva's gonna be there? i hope our girl jessica alba is there to start a cat fight. ::meow:: lol

Is Alba a Warriors fan? I thought she liked the Lakers.
PreviousNext

Return to Warriors Basketball