A Nelson comment on JRich

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:02 am
From the end of an article in the SF Chronicle

"Richardson hasn't shown the ability to create for teammates. "He dominates in a different way ... When his game is on, he does what he does, but it's nothing I can use to make anyone better."

I guess Nelly's not taking into account JR's fighting spirit that rubs off on his teammates.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: -3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:51 am
J-Rich is not a franchise player or a great passer or dribble penetrator in the likes of Shaq, Duncan, Nash or injury plagued BD. Outside of Biedrins, he is the only player on the squad that can actually rebound, which shows why Cuban was completely accomodating in letting Nellie go. Nellie has a pretty open disregard to man defense, rebounding, half court offense which probably has been dhis ownfall as a journeyman coach. Great franchises don't have a revolving door on coaches (Look for people like Pop, Avery and DAntonio to stay for a nice long while). From a scoring persepective either Jackson, Pietrus or Barnes would be more salary friendly options on the perimeter compared to J-Rich but good luck shedding J-Rich contract without receiving more bad contacts in return. I don't understand how Nellie will win with fast breaks if his team can't rebound and is loaded with jump shooters. Most Warriors fans want players that play hard, not a injury prone point guard despite his great talent, or a tweener at PF that can't rebound. Yep BD and Harrington have more "talent", but they don't play harder than J-Rich.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:40 am
jsw548 wrote:From the end of an article in the SF Chronicle

"Richardson hasn't shown the ability to create for teammates. "He dominates in a different way ... When his game is on, he does what he does, but it's nothing I can use to make anyone better."

I guess Nelly's not taking into account JR's fighting spirit that rubs off on his teammates.

Sounds a lot like when Nelson tried to motivate BD, Monta, Pietrus, and Barnes (earlier this season).

It's simple reverse psychology. Nelly's obviously seen Richardson's improved passing skills lately, so it'd probably be worthwhile to have J-Rich continue to work on that skill. And if Nelson says Richardson doesn't make his teammates better, whats Richardson gonna work at?

That's right. Making his teammates better. And if both Baron AND Jason could increase the level of play by their teammates, Golden State's firepower might double-up... which would really come in handy, now that it's playoff time.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:30 am
That's a good point 32... i've heard Nellie say a lot of really good things about JRich. ANd Nellie's a pretty honest guy, and it's somewhat true, cause Richardson is a scorer first. But i don't think he's being taken for granted.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:31 am
jsw548 wrote:From the end of an article in the SF Chronicle

there's nothing that I wouldn't disagree with with nellie's assessment of jrich..he can't create much for teammates nor does he make his teammates much better...

but i lov the dude...

and as far as his fighting spirit, i get that from bd, jackson, AND jrich

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 am
I'm not sure when that comment was made, but since coming back from injury, Richardson has been very effective on all aspects of the game. His passing has been pretty good and his defensive is showing tons of improvements. This month he's avearge 17 ppg, 5 apg, and 5.5 rpg. Thats not a bad line at all. How many times in the past can you say that Richardson missed a triple double (29 points, 8 assists, and 10 boards) which he did in an impressive win over Detroit. As long as Baron is here, he'll be the franchise player.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:35 am
Nellie could say the same thing about any player not named Baron on this team...
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:50 pm
As much as I like JRich this is true. He is still the one obvious player who has hesitations passing it off to Biedrins on the pick and roll. Most other players on the team figured out that if you can dump it off to him when he is around the basket you'll get an assist but JRich still looks to take that Jumper before hitting AB on the roll.
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:53 pm
dunno about you guys, but i've noticed some pretty sweet assists from j-rich lately. usually to guys cutting when he's on the low block or on a pick-and-roll with dre.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:55 pm
TMC wrote:Nellie could say the same thing about any player not named Baron on this team...

have to dissent, TMC. Both Monta and SJax have wonderful moments of creating for their teammates. SJax has been averaging 7 dimes a game the past 6 or 7. Obviously, Baron is the only consistent creator right now, though I think Monta may eventually surpass him. Oh, on the journeyman comment re Nelson and how he can't keep a gig, the record shows a very different story. He was with the Bucks for 11 years, the warriors for 7 and the mavs for 8. That is exceptional longevity for an NBA coach. On the main point, JRich, in addition to his scoring prowess, brings rebounding, man D and loose ball hustle, something the ws sorely need. Handling the ball is not something he should be expected to do. Leave that to Baron, Monta and Sjax.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:23 pm
coltraning wrote:have to dissent, TMC. Both Monta and SJax have wonderful moments of creating for their teammates.

True, but just occasionally.

I've posted recently about Monta's game against the Clips, which he ended with 13 dimes... but that doesn't mean he does it consistently (yet). S-Jax has been sharing the ball more lately, but his first games he was more trigger-happy than anything. Maybe because he still wasn't used to the team or Nellie hadn't realized how to use him properly. As said, he's playing better now.

But they still have a way to go before we can say they improver their teammates on a consistent basis. So far, only Baron does that in every game.
Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:49 pm
This is just Nelson using his motivational skills. He knows that J-Rich is a great player and valuable to this team. He's just trying to motivate him and I guarantee that it will. J-Rich is the type of player that feeds off criticism. You say that he's not good at a certain aspect of the game then he improves on it, and the improvement is visible.

J-Rich is no Michael Jordan, but he does have the same attitude and work ethic as Jordan (improving weaknesses considerably). This is just fueling J-Rich's fire! I think it's good motivation by Nelly.

Also, I've noticed that J-Rich has improved his rebounding and passing this year! He's getting a lot of assists... some pretty nice ones too! Just watch... J-Rich will start being the J-Rich of old very soon!
Josh Jamison a.k.a. Adonal's The Man!

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:27 pm
Do you have a link to the full article? Without knowing what else Nelson said about Richardson, it's hard to put this quote in context. I tend to agree with what other posters have said - the content of the quote is pretty accurate, and knowing Nellie he might have said it to make a point to Richardson.

It has been good to see how Richardson has contributed more with passing and assists the past several games.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:58 pm
Welcome to the board hoopitup, good to see a knowledgeable newbie, you can find most articles & info in the local media links in upper right corner 8)
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:09 pm
hoopitup wrote:Do you have a link to the full article? Without knowing what else Nelson said about Richardson, it's hard to put this quote in context. I tend to agree with what other posters have said - the content of the quote is pretty accurate, and knowing Nellie he might have said it to make a point to Richardson.

It has been good to see how Richardson has contributed more with passing and assists the past several games.

This was the only point in the article where JRich was mentioned.

I was pretty surprised when Barnett said that 8 assists was JRich's career high.
Next

Return to Warriors Basketball